Start by marking “Wolf! Wolf!” as Want to Read:
Wolf! Wolf!

Wolf! Wolf!

THE HUNGRY OLD WOLF has been dreaming of a feast, but all he can manage to scrounge up from his garden are a few weeds. One day, he hears a young shepherd boy call "WOLF! WOLF!"

Could it be that the boy is inviting him over for lunch?

This hilarious retelling, with a twist, of the classic Aesop's fable is sure to delight a new generation of readers and vegetarians.
Published March 1st 2007 by Hyperion Books for Children

Robert Owens
Our class took a field trip to our local public library. Wonderful trip! Frankly, this is what a field trip should be: educational, exciting, and fun.

Anyhow, we began with a story time. This was one of the books we read. The True Story of the Three Little Bears is a familiar fractured fairy tale. This is in a similar vein, but with the tale of the Boy Who Cred Wolf. The wolf was old, yet enamored with the plump goats.

The end was the PC ending. It was okay, but I would have gone a little darker.

F
Heather
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this first attempt at both writing and illustrating simultaneously, John Rocco delivers a delightful twist on the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." Told from the point-of-view of the wolf, the character devises a plan to get a goat in order to have a tasty meal. However, when the goat proves more valuable that the wolf realized, he and the goat become fast friends.

The story is beautifully illustrated. While the pages are each bordered, the illustrations are full-page, but spill over into whi
Wendy Potter
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought of such a twists for the story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" - I loved how the wolf is now so old and the story makes this clear by his cracking bones, hearing aid and tiredness. I also like how this story takes on the wolf's side of the story a few years down the road. The illustrations are beautiful as well as the use of words. It seems to take place in either China or Japan, some elements seem to be Chinese and others Japanese, this part is not clear to me, but either way, t ...more
Anthony
A new and interesting twist on the Aesop fable of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. The hungry old wolf is too stiff to chase rabbits, and snatch birds, but he's still clever, and wise too teach a prank playing kid a lesson.
Lori
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A non-traditional finish to this traditional aesop’s fable. The boy who cried wolf, abuses the power of his words to the villagers until they no longer believe his words or heed his calls for help, but what happens next is where it changes most, and leads to a surprising end.
Catherine
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute twist to the classic.
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A great re-telling of The Boy Who Cried Wolf, but with a nice twist at the end.
Tessa
Wolf's POV for boy who cried wolf. Happy ending for everyone.
Catherine
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and fun retelling of a famous fable.
Michiko
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Samantha Zapata
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful spin off from the tale "The Boy Who Cried Wolf!" The story is about an older wolf who is tired and was more annoyed with the little boy who kept crying wolf than the weeds growing in his garden. Well the wolf never appeared and was never close enough because the boy would always scream it out. The wolf couldn't even dream about goats without the boy crying out wolf. So when the boy was content one day the wolf crept up behind him and scared the little boy and said he could t ...more
Marsha
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shifting the focus from a bored young boy to an aged, irritated wolf, Mr. Rocco has created an amusingly sly twist on an old Aesop tale. Setting the story in China, the author/illustrator dazzles with one glorious color spread after another as gorgeously painted florae and faunae fill the pages. The lupine’s journey to find the mysterious “wolf” caller is only one of many beautiful pictures sure to delight readers of all ages.

The faces of the villagers and the young boy are individual and expres
Jan
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Not just another "Boy Who Cried Wolf" story. This one has an aged wolf, barely able to hobble around, who has to plant a garden to have something to eat. When a shepherd boy cries "Wolf!" just to get attention once too often, the elderly wolf decides to work out a deal with him.
John Rocco's rich watercolors place the whole story in China (the wolf wears a red kimono and carries a pleated paper umbrella!), which adds delightful visual appeal to this picture book for ages 4-8.
Go request a copy
Andrew Swanson
The hungry old wolf can't seem to grow anything but weeds in his garden, and he's too slow to chase rabbits or birds anymore. He has no friends on the mountain, so it's curious when he hears his name called by a young goat-herd. The wolf wonders if the boy is inviting him to dine on one of his scrumptious-looking goats, but hides when angry villagers approach.

This hilarious retelling of The Boy Who Cried Wolf is set in East Asia (presumably China or Japan) and is beautifully illustrated. Readers
Matthew
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book, certainly the kind where things work out a lot better than your traditional fairy tale. The illustrations are vibrant and lively, very convincing and detailed though in a more cartoonish manner than a realistic portrait style that some artists go for. The whole story was quietly entertaining and enjoyable. I had a good time with the entire thing.
John Wick
Mar 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrenslit
A great new look at the classic story "The Boy who Cried Wolf". This wolf is Asian, and also a vegetarian. His garden will not grow and there's a boy who keeps crying wolf all the time. When a Sheep is finaly given to the wolf he must decide if he wants to eat it of if there's another choice that can be made.
Nanci Booher
In a new edition of the boy who cries wolf, we find an old hungry wolf, trying to grow some veggies in his garden. Unfortunately all he gets is weeds. Enter the little boy who cries wolf and the angry villagers. Will Wolf ever get food? Will the little boy continue to cry wolf? I'm a huge fan of John Rocco and this will be one I definitely add to the collection at school.
Dolly
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fantastic take on one of Aesop's fables. The illustrations are rich, colorful and expressive, just amazing.

The Chinese backdrop and details like lotus flowers and cherry blossoms are gorgeous. And the ending is a bit surprising, but sweet.

We really enjoyed this tale and it's a perfect tale to read at bedtime.
Camille
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Can't agree enough with other reviewers. A great take on the Boy Who Cried wolf, set in ancient China, with an wolf long-in-the-tooth! Ha! Been waiting to use that one. The illustrations are pretty great. My favorite spread is the one where the wolf is soaking his feet in the stream. Onry wolf and beautiful fish swimming about... priceless!
Michael
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great twist on a classic tale, very clever. I loved the artwork and choreography. It has an Asian setting and cast, although it doesn't specify its location, and there were one or two women amongst the villagers but the main protagonists were male.
Cortnee
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
The different twist on the boy who cried wolf was great! The illustrations are amazing as well and they do a great job of tying in a new culture to the familiar children's story. The shift in perspective by being able to see the wolf's viewpoint would be interesting to have kids examine.
paperdollmom
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story was too adorable! It is a new take on the old "the boy who cried wolf" tale, involving an old, tired, grumpy wolf who tricks the boy into delivering him a wolf. Even better, the wolf discovers the goat eats all the weeds from his garden so he can have fresh vegetables...and a new friend.
mg
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous twist on an old Aesop fable! Gorgeous illustrations...

This would be so fun for Pre-K/Kindergarteners (and others studying fractured folk tales). I like the fact that it took place in Japan, too.
Jim Sibigtroth
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud-k
In addition to the unusual variation of the Boy Who Cried Wolf tale where the wolf turns out to be a good guy, the illustrations are stunning. The original moral is there, but also friendship and a lifetime of good food is better than the brief satisfaction of gobbling up one goat.
Cheryl
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cheryl by: El Paso Public Library
The illustrations are marvelous (especially the expressions) and the story has a delightful, unexpected twist. I liked the oriental setting. Definitely one I'd like to add to the classroom library.
Jostalady
The boy who cried wolf from the wolf's perspective. Cute story with values I want my kids to learn. The art is great, and it is set somewhere Asian. It's like we won the lottery for things we want to see in a book with this one! Thanks to a co-worker who pointed it out.
Mira
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Wonderful illustrations, accompanying a bizarre retooling of the-boy-who-cried-wolf. This time, the wolf becomes a vegetarian! As a vegetarian myself, I still found the message within this retelling to be embarrassingly heavy-handed and ridiculous.
Christina
"Wolf! Wolf! Is a fractured fairy tale based on "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". This story is unique, basing its setting in ancient China. Readers will enjoy the unexpected twists the story takes. And the illustrations are delightful.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love John Rocco's art.
Krystal
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
Beautiful pictures. A nice version of the fable.
  • The Retired Kid
  • Red Ted and the Lost Things
  • The Three Little Gators
  • Down the Back of the Chair
  • My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World
Rocco studied illustration at the Rhode Island School of Design and School of Visual Arts in New York City. He is the author of four acclaimed books for children: Wolf! Wolf!, winner of the Borders Original Voices Award for best picture book; Moonpowder, part of the Original Art Show at the Society of Illustrators; Fu Finds the Way, and Blackout, a New York Times Best Book of the Year and winner o ...more