Start by marking “Looking at Pictures in Picture Books” as Want to Read:
Looking at Pictures in Picture Books

Looking at Pictures in Picture Books

Discusses the place of the illustration in children's picture books, looking particularly at how pictures can express abstract themes, such as moods, which cannot be shown directly. Uses examples from well-known works to illustrate the points discussed.
Published 1992 by Thimble Press

To ask other readers questions about Looking at Pictures in Picture Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking at Pictures in Picture Books

Abbie Mitterhuber
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read, admittedly I never really looked at picture books in such detail before reading this. I found it fascinating; the amount of thought and work that goes into every section of each picture, the importance of each stroke of a brush and the hidden, deeper meanings cleverly disguised within every page.
The only issue I have with this book is that there are so many examples mentioned and I could not have all of these books in front of me to analyse myself which I think would have
Rebecca Collins
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was really interesting reading this book, as whilst reading it it made me think about the recent picture books that I have read, and the processes that I went through when reading it. I was also surprised to see that there is so much more to picture books than I originally thought!

Before reading this, I always associated picture books with children in KS1, as I always thought that they were created for children who struggled with reading, as usually the images accompany the pictures. However
Michelle Gibson
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I will never be able to read and look at a picture book in the same way after reading this. There are so much more to picture books than I ever thought! It was a really interesting read and gave me insightful thoughts into illustrations and the thoughts and reasons behind choices that authors must make.

Reading this after the English seminar on characterisation really embedded what I had learnt in the session. I think I would have found it a lot harder to read otherwise. I liked the constant use
Diana
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, and wow, and even more WOW! This little book not only gave me incredible insights into LOOKING at pictures (in picture book or elsewhere), but has inspired all kinds of new teaching ideas that I CANNOT WAIT to put into practice in my classes. I will turn to this book time and time again, I'm sure. Assigned as part of my Art of the Picture Book class I took this semester for my Penn State Children's Literature Graduate Certificate, it has become SO MUCH MORE than an "assigned" text!
Dolly
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers who want to instruct students about art in children's literature
I read parts of this book over a year ago for a course on children's literature as part of my MLIS program, but I never finished it until now.

I realized that I'd tucked it away and forgot about it, and just recently discovered it while cleaning up the house. Too many books, too little time.

It's a short book and I thought I'd read it from start to finish. As I did, I remembered that one of the reasons why I put the book down was the fact that the author spent a lot of time discussing When Sheep
Sarah Hannah
A hit in some chapters (especially the glosary, curriculum planning, and approaches to looking at pictures) and utterly dull in others, but overall, really great resource.
The Beginning of Your Life Book Club
An eye-opening and fascinating tool for understanding aesthetics and for reaching a deeper appreciation of picture books. Highly informative and I would recommend it to anyone interested in a deeper understanding of the fundamentals of how picture books work. A short but dense book - academic but digestible.
Natalie VanDusen
A must read for anyone who wants to use picturebooks in the classroom in an authentic amd knowledgeable way. This is a resource I will keep coming back to.
Sophie Carroll