Start by marking “The Sartorialist (The Sartorialist, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sartorialist (The Sartorialist, #1)

The Sartorialist

(The Sartorialist #1)

Scott Schuman just wanted to take photographs of people that he met on the streets of New York who he felt looked great.

His now-famous and much-loved blog, thesartorialist.com, is his showcase for the wonderful and varied sartorial tastes of real people across the globe. This book is a beautiful anthology of Scott?s favorite images, accompanied by his insightf
Published August 12th 2009 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sartorialist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sartorialist

7jane
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those seeking clothes inspiration (women, men, whoever you are)
This was a book of photos of various people the author met and photographer, finding them stylish, so it partly show the photographer's own taste of what is a well-done outfit, no doubt - but that doesn't mean that one won't gain enough from them even if of different taste: some details can be interesting and inspiring (the color of a comb, textures, sleeve folding, androgyny...). There's more at thesartorialist.com.

Most of the photographer are just very stylish ordinary people, but there are a
lucy  black
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fic
K, so Scott Schuman is a blogger/ photographer who goes out on the streets (in big cool cities) and takes photos of 'the real people' to show as he put it: 'a two-way dialogue about the world of fashion and its relationship to daily life'

So, I like fashion and I wish I had enough money to dress myself the way I would like to and I love portrait photography so I was thinking I'd real like this book. Well, yeah, not so much.

Main gripe is that although Schuman says in the bo
Caro the Helmet Lady
I think I slightly prefer the online version, because I can read the comments there and it's a total internet thingy. On the other hand - here I have everything in one book and I don't have to scroll... Anyway, interesting and colourful, that's what it is. Crazy styles look great on some folks, I bet if I wore that way I would look like crazy myself. :)) But I love it, I love it!
Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
The ultimate book for those who like to people watch! People watching in Paris, Stockholm, and Milan while living in Oregon (read gray, grayer, grayest) is the perfect respite from seeing REI wearing folk. Scott Schuman, I heart you.

And, readers, be sure not to miss: thesartorialistblogspot.com
Nafiza
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
These pages contained one 'oversized' lady (only not really). And it made me wonder at the erasure of big people. Are bigger people not beautiful? Do they not have fashion sense? Does the photographer not see them? I wonder what the world looks from his perspective and if the streets are emptier for him.
paula
Scott Schuman is The Sartorialist. Not a serial killer, although wouldn't that be an excellent serial killer? No, The Sartorialist is a blogger - and before you roll your eyes, dude, Scott Shuman is a blogger who doesn't write very much, and who takes extremely fine pictures.

He takes pictures of people who know how to dress themselves. Aging Italian playboys. Tiny, youthful French fashion editors. Artists, housepainters, Carolina Herrera, Kanye West. He has a weakness for beautifully
Malbadeen
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
mmmm, yummy, yummy, yummy!

The book is partly about fashion but it's his composition of color that I notice over and over again. It's a thick little f***er of a book but it's you still want more when it's done.

Some things I learned about fashion from this book are as follows:

1. Fashionable people smoke.

2. Fashionable people ride bikes (cute bikes,not those ugly functional ones we see in Portland so often).

3. Outragiously fashionable peop
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
What are people REALLY wearing? This book lets you see the trends emerging on the 'sidewalk runway' that goes on around us everyday as we go about our business.
Andreea Daia
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. To me, this book is more about portrait photography and less about fashion. This is not to say that some of these people are not fashionable by any standard, old or new.

However, I think the photographer is looking for unusual (sometimes shocking) fashion choices, which I am not convinced are always deliberate. And there are of course shots which I would by no means consider chic: courageous yes... stylish no... (and I'm talking about the guys wearing "underwear" as pants and so on).

I would give this
YT Lee
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There's a reason why thesartorialist.com is my homepage.

It's because Scott takes beautiful pictures.

Up until recently, I was perfectly fine with looking at all the photographs that he took of people on the website, but when I chanced upon this book in a bookstore in Amsterdam, I knew I had to buy it. (Sadly, I didn't get it there because my parents said 27 euros was not worth paying for a book.)

What I love most about this book is the commentary that comes with some of the pictures. Schuman wr
Eden
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is mostly a picture book, but that isn't to say I didn't take as much away from "reading" it as I would anything with more words. I loved the Satorialist blog because he sees an angle of humanity that I don't usually associate with fashion. The people he seeks out are sometimes "in the fashion world" and sometimes not. They don't take themselves too seriously and yet they celebrate their style seriously. Maybe this is getting a bit too deep for a book of fashion shots, but I often wonder wh ...more
Adrienne
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I bought this to-day, there isn't much to read but there are pages and pages of photographs mostly of ordinary everyday folk who have a fantastic sense of style be it conservative, hipster, or eccentric. and although I haven't had time to look through all the plates I'm giving it 5 stars because it represents fantastic value and is beautiful to look at, Schumans photographic skills are well displayed with his choice of subjects, wonderful fashionista who all have 'that certain something' that pu ...more
Angelina
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-photography
One of the shots (an elderly Italian gentleman) reminded me so much of my grandfather..
FreshGrads .Sg
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Scott Schuman, the blogger of now famous fashion blog thesartorialist.com, has come up with a satisfying print version - a 512-page picture book which collects his favourite photos from the past four years.

Schuman, who also shoots for GQ and Vogue, clearly demonstrates how good a photographer he is by bringing out the characters of the strangers-turned-subjects he meets and finds interesting right from the streets. He celebrates real world wearable style versus runway fashion style f
Ed
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion
Relatively small format paperbac on heavy coated paper, very high quality images, well printed and finished. Not much text--almost completely "street style" fashions from New York City, Milan, Florence, Paris plus a few outliers--Stockholm, London.

It works beautifully as a book and as a blog, which is how the author got his start. Very few of the subjects are models, many of them are not dressed in any obvious or even definable label or trend but all--well, almost all--look relaxed and casually
Susannah
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The very first book about the street-style blog that started the fashion world's obsession with street style, The Sartorialist. Scott Schuman, aka The Sartorialist, collects together some of his favourite images, from some of his favourite cities, that he featured on his blog. The text that accompanies some of his images elucidate his thought processes, and the approach behind some of the images. It is really interesting to read why he chose to photograph the people that he has. Some are famous, ...more
Molly
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fashion, photography
For years, Scott Schuman has manned the helm of one of the Web's greatest street style blogs. Now, he presents some of his favorite shots in this chunky little book. (The book's shape is a direct homage to Scott McCurry's 'Portraits,' another wonderful photography book.) There are so many things I love about Schuman -- his joyous embrace of fashion, his perfect eye, his ability to consistently find real women and men who mix it up so personally ...more
Anna
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Street fashion on people young and old in cities across the world. There is much to see here, I am sure I could keep flipping through this and finding things I had not previously noticed. The pictures are wonderful, though often I wished for just a little more context. There is a list at the end of where and when each photo was taken, and occasionally the author includes a name or a little anecdote, but I found myself wanting something like the descriptions in the New York Look Book - who are these ...more
The Subway Reader
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
self-taught photographer and apparently also blogger Scott Schuman comes from the fashion industry and takes outdoor portraits of people he likes, honest photography I believe, you clearly see in the pictures that he likes his subjects, the pictures are good, never great, the book contains some text but not a lot, it is mostly images, overall a good and stylish book that can be read or viewed quite quickly.
Nancy
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Masterful. Scott Schuman lets me stare at people and their clothes and 500 pages later I'm ready for more. (YAY it exists.) Haha half the people here are smoking the other half are on the phone. The ocassional backstory text always refreshed me with depth and context; I think I could use just a smidge more of that, too. Oddly (because I have only the visual cues? because they look like models??) I don't feel drawn to any one here -- don't wish I could meet them. That's a bit sad.
Raelene Baget
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can't exactly say I know much about fashion, let alone how to spot someone that is relatively fashionable - but as a photographer, I am more interested in the lens he's shooting with and the subjects. I loved that there were true minimalist fashionistas in there as well as the eclectic styles that make you question whether you can push your own style further.

I love the attention to detail and I have a feeling he has a penchant for shoes.

Greg
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Scott Schuman has been taking fashion photos for his blog and in turn these photos have been featured in fashion mags around the whole. I love his approach when taking photos of passerbyers or fashionistas and presenting the subject in a positive light. On his blog people are able to comment on what a look might convey or how with clothing a story in told right in front of your very eyes. Do enjoy this tremendous book soon. It's a wealth of knowledge and fashion at your finger tips.
Emerson
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artsy-fartsy
I kind-of surprised myself with my enjoyment of this book. It is true eye-candy. I am not a "fashion" person and I'm not even really a "photography" person, but this book really spoke to me. Every page was filled with people that would catch your eye on the street. I agree with another review that it doesn't portray the normal everyday folk - but so what? I loved looking at almost every person in this book.
Lindsey Emery
Oct 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed looking at the different personal fashions and drew some inspiration from a handful. I was tempted to rip out the pictures, but didn't. I enjoyed this book more because I was drunk when I looked through it.
Kate
I sure don't have any fashion sense, but I like looking at people who do.
Jamie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
Scott Schuman's fashion blog is a temple for style and personal expression, and this publication collects Schuman's favorite images along with his commentary for a delightful and thought-provoking read. His philosophy on fashion is an appreciation of individual parts or ideas rather than the entire outfit, and that theory contextualizes the images in this work as the variety and range of styles and people is truly significant. I can't see myself personally owning this book, but it was an enjoyab ...more
Cynthia Cat  Garnder
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting.
the story caught me completely.
Jana
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I once posted on his blog how I dislike some girl wearing Mickey Mouse ears, red rayban wayfarers, pointy black Madonna bra, tinny knickers which were obviously shorts and louboutin's. And it was her having a Sunday walk somewhere in the world, don't remember where. People slammed me on the site after my remark that she looks gross and eventually it was deleted. Haha. I never posted anything again. I loovee his site and I just can’t get enough how much time and details people spend on dressing u ...more
Daniel Lee
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of men in suits. Wide variety of ages, less so for the women. The book itself is physically small but really thick. I felt that kind of presentation was a little awkward.
Sonelina Pal

• Street: The Nylon Book of Global Style
  • Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty
  • Vanity Fair: The Portraits: A Century of Iconic Images
  • Fresh Fruits
  • Grace: Thirty Years Of Fashion At Vogue.
  • Woman in the Mirror
  • The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947-1957
  • The Fashion Book - Mini Edition
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Vogue: The Covers
Scott Schuman is the creator of the popular fashion blog "The Sartorialist". After leaving his position as director of men's fashion at his showroom to take care of his daughter in September 2005, he began carrying a digital camera around and photographing people he saw on the street whose style he found striking. He then posted these to his blog, sometimes with short comments, always either favor ...more

The Sartorialist (3 books)
  • Closer (The Sartorialist, #2)
  • X (The Sartorialist, #3)