Start by marking “The Spiderwick Chronicles: The Completely Fantastical Edition (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-5)” as Want to Read:

The Spiderwick Chronicles: The Completely Fantastical Edition

(The Spiderwick Chronicles #1-5)

The entire Spiderwick Chronicles story in one book, including brand new material!
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiderwick Chronicles, please sign up.
Naomi Simon, Jared and Mallory come in in the second series but older and kinda famous-ish. The other series is called "Beyond the Spiderwick chronicles" an…moreSimon, Jared and Mallory come in in the second series but older and kinda famous-ish. The other series is called "Beyond the Spiderwick chronicles" and its about this boy whose dad re-married a woman with a daughter who is obsessed with fairy tales, she has the Spiderwick chronicles and Arthur Spiderwick's field guide and she thinks they are real, but the boy thinks she's stupid until he finds that shes been telling the truth the whole time and the authors are in the book too so this is more modern and realistic. Its also a trilogy. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Elizabeth I got this for my students for .25 at a library. I was very lucky the book is well written fast and full of childhood memories that linger all through…moreI got this for my students for .25 at a library. I was very lucky the book is well written fast and full of childhood memories that linger all through out life. Age makes no difference this is an intriguing read...(less)

Start your review of The Spiderwick Chronicles: The Completely Fantastical Edition (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-5)
Sara
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun series to read. The books are short (only 100 pages each or so, including pages of beautiful illustrations that add to the overall enjoyment) and each book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, so you really need to read the whole series to enjoy it.

Three siblings (twin boys and their older sister) move to a relative's old house with their mom and discover their great-great-uncle's book about goblins, dwarves, brownies, elves, etc. - and these creatures live in the land but are in
Asghar Abbas
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A very charming book
the delightful illustrations only added to the magic
and to the story
a well-made movie with the lovely Irish Sarah Bolger rounded things off nicely.

A truly beautiful edition.
Richard Cardenas
Obviously I loved re-reading my favorite series of all-time!
Beth
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, 2019-reads
I really really enjoyed this!
Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
Really enjoyed re-reading the series that was one of my favourites as a child.

Jordan
Jun 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It must be hard to be a children's fiction writer in a post-Harry Potter world. So many new fantasy series' seem at once to be grasping for the same level of fandom by using so many of the same devices as the Potter books, and yet at the same time desperately trying to assert their originality. There are a lot of good things to be said for the Spiderwick Chronicles, and I'm looking forward to the movie version's release in a few weeks. But at the same time, there's something kind of hollow about ...more
Horses are coming
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
this is a good book, more like 4.5 stars.
Michael Sorbello
The Field Guide - 3/5

Simon, Jared and Mallory Grace move in to a creepy Victorian house with their mother after their parents divorce and the three kids get themselves in trouble. After moving in, they discover that something isn't quite right with the house. It's haunted, but not by ghosts. It's haunted by fairies and other classic fantasy creatures from another world.

It's a fun little mystery book with cool fantasy elements and it does a good job setting up the characters and premise at an inc
Helene
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-read
I'll have to give this series a 4.5 of 5.

Let's break this down…

#1 - The Field Guide - 5/5 stars
I loved it! I didn't expect this children's book to be half as good as it was. I love the way of writing in this book. Very descriptive and imaginative.

#2 - The Seeing Stone - 4/5 stars

#3 - Lucinda's Secret - 4/5 stars
This wasn't my favorite in the series, but still very good! I really like how this book describes the creatures and surroundings. I find it fascinating to read!
I also like the character
Charlotte Jones
The Spiderwick Chronicles is a series that I missed out on as a child but I remember my younger brother had the first few books. I have read the first two a few times previously but never the whole series so I was excited to give them a go.

I sped through them within just a few days; the writing style is easy to get through being that they are written for a younger audience and the illustrations really break up the text nicely. I think that although the books are pretty consistent, there was a di
Susan
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
so, we're at Lisa & Raul's for Christmas and they've got the recently released movie The Spiderwick Chronicles. They're blown away by the "lore" they've never heard of. None of it is "new" to me, but the movie was good, so I hunted down a copy of the omnibused stories to read...

After Christmas, bought another 2 copies and sent them to Texas and Maryland for my sisters' young-uns to enjoy...
Fatima Haleem
Really enjoyed the audiobook 🤩
Daniel
I read the entire series in one go during a bout of insomnia. Youth literature is not really my "thing", but I have been reading and re-reading some things lately because of a few children's librarians I know (one in particular, mmm), and I generally like to read books before watching film adaptations. The only problem is nowadays I'm generally not even aware that a film is an adaptation of a book. I guess I should just assume since Hollywood doesn't seem particularly creative in general anymore ...more
Amira
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I first read this series when I was in my first year high school. I remembered that every time I went to our school library which is every day, I always find time to get the latest/recent fiction book. I spotted this beautiful book and the Goosebumps series! Yknow, kids. HAHA! And, from then on, I always make it a point to ask if the next book is already available, and so on. I finished this whole damn set for two years because our library wasn't able to get their copies on time.

After seven year
Chris
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cesi, my 6-yr-old, and I read this set and had a blast with it. It's all about getting a glimpse into the normally invisible world of Faerie all around us in which ogres, sprites, brownies, elves, trolls, griffins, goblins, and dragons live. The stories move along at a nice clip, and offer kids plot twists to draw them into attempting to solve mysteries and innovate with the characters when things don't turn out as planned (which they mostly don't, immediately anyway). Way better than the movie, ...more
Mel (ReadUntilTheLastPage)
"After all, he was only at the beginning."

Oh how I wish I read these books when I was kid, I would have absolutely adored them!

Before going into this bind-up of the series, I was vaguely familiar with this story because of the movie made back in 2008. At the time I didn’t know there were books the movie was based off of, and I honestly don’t know why it took me 10 years to finally pick up the books. I personally know I would have preferred this book so much more when I was younger, but stil
Diana Gross
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Voto reale/real rating: 3,5/5
Eng: I found this book while I was searching for the movie. I thought it was something like the Neverending story: children going into the magic world because of a book but this time it was different because the magic world found the children because of the book. There were a lot of pictures and also a little part where they were colored. I really liked this book but I think I'm too old for this and also that the plot wasn't the most original 8there are a lot of book
C.P. Cabaniss
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first time that I have read this series and I'm so glad that I did. It's a series written for children, but I think it can be enjoyed by anyone. It has excellent writing, believable characters, and a fun (but sometimes spooky) story.

We follow the three Grace children: Jared, his twin Simon, and their older sister Mallory. Along with their mother, the three children move into an old estate owned by a relative, and what they find is not what they expected. A new world is opened to th
Nigel
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
Though originally released separately, the five editions combined here form one stonkingly well-written, structured and plotted little children's fantasy novel. Jared, Simon and Mallory stumble across a whole hidden world of faeries when they find a Field Guide to fantastical things, and soon they are beset by boggarts and goblins and trolls and ogres and all manner of frightful (and delightful) things, making their life interesting. Told from the point of view mainly of Jared, with his hot temp ...more
Heffalump
I enjoyed the story of The Spiderwick Chronicles. However, I was disappointed that each book was really only a small piece of the whole story. They could have all been put into one larger book that still would not have been too long. Instead they made the books smaller and just over 100 pages each. The cost of each hardcover book in the set is $10.99. It seems more like a marketing ploy to get people to pay out more money. To get the whole set would cost $50 or more but what you are ending up wi ...more
Jodotha
This was a quick, fun listen. I'm not sure I got the full experience, as my attention was often divided, but the story was simple enough that it didn't trip me up much. Mark Hamill was the reader, and it's pretty well known among the cartoon-watching community that he is a particularly good voice actor. He did very well with the myriad of fantastical characters in this story, giving them each unique and fun voices. I wish he'd done that with the protagonists, too, but it was still a well done re ...more
Zelly B.
A very fun story, one that is very easy to get into, with likeable characters (I adore the Grace twins liek whoa) and an interesting cast of supernatural creatures.

It definitely felt light-hearted. The tone of the whole series of books reminded me of CS Lewis and Diana Wynne Jones, but a little simpler.

And the illustrations are beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I really think the two (images + text) complimented each other and made the story that much more lush.

Overall, an enjoyable read!
April
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because we needed a new audiobook for the car and my daughter loves fairies. I expected something lighthearted with some fairy mythology tossed in. What I got was a series that discussed some heavy issues, including divorce, abandonment, loss, and forgiveness, and did so with both humor and candor. There were no "chosen ones," only children who became special because they chose to work hard at things that were important to them.
Siobhan
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most interesting series I read as a child. It also sits very high up on my list of books I’d hoped to see as films only to be disappointed (as so often seems to be the case).

It’s such an interesting story and you really do need to sit it out until the very end to find out how things play out. Each book contains its own story whilst adding to the continuous story throughout.

As a whole, one of my favourite childhood reads.
Sleepover137
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fast read! And the drawings and descriptions create such a beautiful world. The story itself is definitely aimed at children, but I enjoyed it anyway. Especially the intertextual references made the book fun. And I would guess that those could be lost on younger children. Also have I mentioned how beautiful the artwork is? It's amazing!
Rachel
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all the books and they were awsome and I fill the movie pertrays nothing in the books but basicalley puddle jumped threw them picking out samll facts. Event he ending was completly wron and strayed from the books so far I didn't even recognize it! They even said steel burned fairies!
Frank
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fast read and a fun read. Much better than the movie. The adventures tied in a lot better in the book and made more sense. So even though I had seen the movie first the book was so different it was like reading a totally different story. Woud love to find more like this.
Jennie
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I'm waffling between three and four for these, and Mark Hamill's awesome narration on the audio book is what pushed me up to a four. They are cute stories, and James really enjoyed them, but my favorite part was listening to all the voices Mark Hamill can do. Who knew? Good for a family road trip!
Joslyn Gould
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I attempted reading a series to the girls and it was definitely a hit. The story moved along at a good pace and provided lots of imagery. We read it much more quickly than I anticipated because they kept giving up play time to hear more.
Lily
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great series for emerging readers. I love all stories, but children’s books are sometimes difficult to write—especially to write well. The Spiderwick Chronicles is a collection of stories that I will be glad to give my kids. It was a lot of fun reading them again, many years later!

• The Inkheart Trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath
  • Guardians of Ga'hoole Boxed Set (Guardians of Ga'hoole, #1-4)
  • Il sogno di Talitha (I Regni di Nashira, #1)
  • Диви разкази
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events Box: The Complete Wreck (Books 1-13)
  • Artemis Fowl Boxed Set, Bks 1-5 (Artemis Fowl, #1-5)
  • Преспанските камбани
  • Spork
  • City of Lies (The Keepers, #2)
  • Arthur and the Forbidden City
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
  • Arthur and the Minimoys
  • The Purple Emperor
  • Portal World
  • Write from the Heart: Unleashing the Power of Your Creativity
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • A Devil in Paradise
  • Le Crépuscule des dieux (Amos Daragon #3)
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick Chro ...more

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)