Start by marking “Black Dogs: The Possibly True Story of Classic Rock's Greatest Robbery” as Want to Read:
Black Dogs: The Possibly True Story of Classic Rock's Greatest Robbery

Black Dogs: The Possibly True Story of Classic Rock's Greatest Robbery

In July 1973, Led Zeppelin played three sold-out shows at New York’s Madison Square Garden. Before the final performance, $203,000 of the band’s money went missing from a safe deposit box at the Drake Hotel in what was called the single highest deposit box theft in the city’s history. The money was never recovered. Black Dogs might be the story behind the greatest rock ’n’ ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Broadway Books (first published 2009)

Brenda
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this book in just a few hours. It's well written brain candy. Sharp, tight, and concise writing. Nothing deep or profound, just a good tale with shady anti-heroes you wouldn't want to know in real life, which of course makes them fascinating on the page! Buhrmester is a talented writer who can make you sympathize with criminals.
Lisa
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting true story... I like it but would like to know more about the characters and how they came to be who they are.
Tony
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
In 1973, Led Zepplin apparently had $203,000 in cash stolen from them while staying at the Drake Hotel in New York. The perpetrators were never caught and the money never recovered. That real-life event is the seed from which this fast-paced heist caper sprouted. Patrick, Alex, Frenchy, and Keith are a bunch of Baltimore friends in their late-teens/early-20s whose main pleasures in life are booze, drugs, rock and roll, and girls. Jobs only serve as means to one of the aforementioned ends, and be ...more
Kevin
Aug 04, 2011 added it
Led Zeppelin apparently always demanded to be paid in cash for live shows. In 1973, following a stand at Madison Square Garden, someone stole over $200,000 from them. The crime was never solved, but this book uses that story as a jumping off point to imagine how it might have happened.

The concept is kind of hokey, one of the plot devices was very obvious to this reader (although not to any of the characters in the book) and the musical scenes in the book are the weakest (especially those with Z
AdultFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call#: Fiction Buhrmester

Madeleine - 1 star
Struggled to make it to 50 pages. At that point I quit as it was still a book about too cool boys who lamely name-drop their favorite bands while spending their days stealing and lying. And they don't even do that with any flair. I felt like I was at one of those excruciating diary readings where people go up on stage and read the MOST pathetic thing they ever wrote in their diaries during their teens in a desperate attempt to get a laugh. Nope.
Dennis
Apr 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: booze-n-bookclub
Scott
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Led Zeppelin was robbed of $203,000 in cash back in the 70's when they were touring. No one ever found out what happened!! This book was a real quick read. It follows some 19 year old misfits who turn to robbery and conning in order to made due. It's pretty comical with skullduggery and fights and partaying and also lots of rock n roll references. It was fun to be in there little world. Rock!!
April
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Does Jason love Black Sabbath? I think so! A great "fictional" account of how Led Zeppelin got robbed. I loved the little nuances of people in the book that remind me a little of mutual friends that we share. I heard a rumor that this book was picked up for a movie, and if it's true, can't wait to see this on the big screen!
Meghan
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: expert-rec
Fun, tight, fast-paced read about a group of guys post-high school engaged in lots of drinking, drugs, and petty crimes. The stakes are raised when they decide to steal a suitcase full of cash from Led Zeppelin. Black Dogs is a lot like most guys in their late teens/early twenties - full of swagger.
Amber
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
A quick read about a band of friends (hoodlums?) who decide to rob Led Zeppelin during the height of their fame in the 1970's. Full of fits and stops, they manage the unimaginable in spite of themselves.
Beth
Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
In 1973 over $200,000 was stolen from Led Zeppelin in a New York hotel. This story may have been what happened. Or not. It is a somewhat funny, somewhat gritty look at young adult life in the early 70s. I liked it.
John
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
A nice read. If you like classic rock and harmless mischief, and don't take this book too seriously, then you should enjoy it.
James Maiorana
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
good enough hurricane book
Karen
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Quick read for music lovers. Pretty simple but entertaining enough. Led Zepplin fans might get a chuckle...
Wendi Walker
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
quick and fun.
Richmond
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun story about Sabbath-loving, car-stero-installing-n-stealing early 70s loserinos who somehow manage to steal from...Led Zepplin? YES.
Jen
Apr 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
BAD BOOK. NO STARS FOR YOU.
Barbara
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
A quick, entertaining read. Was hoping for a bit more meat in the story and a better grip on rock history through the tale.
Scott
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a quick and very funny read with a nice dose of suspense thrown in too.
Luc Vincent
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was great, twists, turns failure and loss, unexpected gains and oh so much more!
Natasha
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Mildly entertaining. I probably would've found it a lot more amusing 10 years ago.
Mikelkpoet
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
A fun story. A quick read. Nice pretense. I'm not down with Led Zeppelin anyway!
Stephanie  Harchar
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
True rock and roll and a pinch of hoodlums. Great combo. I will be re-reading it down the road...Black humor at it's best.
linnea
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This was a fun read. I loved the atmosphere of the 70s rock.
Artsmanda
Feb 19, 2011
Miranda Smith
Jun 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Former editor at Playboy, current editor of Inked, Jason Buhrmester has been published in Maxim, Spin, Wired, the Village Voice, and other publications. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, where he is working on his second novel and listening to Black Sabbath."