Start by marking “Alphab'art” as Want to Read:
Alphab'art

Alphab'art

A fun introduction to both the alphabet and the work of famous artists. Readers can search the paintings of Giotto, Chagall, Picasso, Dalí, Klee and many more to discover the letter hiding within.
Published October 27th 2009 by Lincoln Children's Books (first published April 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Alphab'art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alphab'art

Dani K.
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Alphab’art functions very similarly to Up Close: From Ancient to Modern in that it features major works of art from different historical periods and asks the reader to find details within the larger work of art. Unlike Up Close: From Ancient to Modern, the book Alphab’art doesn’t overwhelm the reader with hundreds of details. Instead, this text asks the reader to find one letter from the alphabet within each image.

The end pages of the book are blank of images, but they are colored with each page
Shannon
Apr 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Shannon by: Seattle Public Library
Shelves: 2010
There are so many books in this vein that are significantly better executed. *shrug* Woefully banal.
Nevada Libert
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
what a good game with art
Katy
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this! Not ST.
Melissa
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it
The text isn't the point in books like these, so I don't mind the repetitive question on each page. I like that there's notes about each painting in the back of the book, and I appreciate that the authors aren't talking down to their audience, but the vocabulary is a bit steep for younger listeners. A couple of times they capture just the right tone, such as in this note for Picasso's "Head": "What a strange head! Is this a man or a woman? Which way is it facing?" which makes me wish they had an ...more
Karen
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really, really wanted to like this book more than I did. It's the Alphabet! And Art!

My son, at four-and-a-half is captivated by letters -- finding letter, forming letters, reading letters, saying letters. I, as an Art major for about a year, am entranced by classical works of Art. And yet, this book didn't quite work for either of us.

I think, perhaps, the text is at fault. I've never been one to sacrifice literature for the visual arts, and apparently my son does not suffer from a wooden ear
Loren
Feb 07, 2010 rated it liked it
There are lots of this type of alpha picture books. This one is fairly well done. My favorite part was the index confirming my guess on the hidden letters A2Z - I enjoyed the informational bits on each piece of artwork. Why did I rate this book lower? Because the text on each page rather unoriginal ... the refrain repeats ... "find the letter hiding in this painting by ..." However I did enjoy that this text layout matched each letter's line form. Worth checking out! I am going to include it in ...more
Sherry
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, full color non-fiction picture book, filled with fine art! Showcased are paintings by the most respected artists thoughout (art) history. Your goal is to search for an alphabet letter hidden in the painting. You work from A-Z, so it's not too difficult to find your answer. I love that it forces you to study the painting in detail. You can check your answers at the back of the book.

for ages 5-8.
Russell
Jul 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Yo dawg. I herd you like letters so we put letters in yo art so you can look for them.

But really, we're just asking for you to find outright letters within the art, or vague shapes that look something like the letters with varying levels of obviousness. Hopper's I is unmistakable, Dubuffet's U and Delaunay's K seem designed for someone who has read the back of the book to seem smug and superior to a new reader.

Cute idea, poorly executed.
Sara Lemonade
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Each page has a different famous painting with a different letter hidden in it. Some are ridiculously easy to find, others are a stretch, even with the answer key in front of you. But this was a great excuse to get us all looking at and talking about classic paintings, something we should really do more often.
Brenda Pritchard
preschool story times; print motivation, letter knowledge, art knowledge

This book goes through the alphabet and its a seek and find. Children are encouraged to find the letters in the various paintings.
Jo Oehrlein
26 different pictures by famous artists, tending towards artists from the past 100 years or so.

Each picture includes a letter of the alphabet hidden in it.

So, it's an I Spy game inside famous art.

The back matter has details on each of the pictures.
Julie
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book with HUGE letters on every page! My daughter was fascinated by the letters, even at 18 months old! This book really attracted her to the idea of learning the alphabet! A terrific book!
Heather
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Text itself: boring.
Visual appeal and entertainment value: great.

This is like an I Spy book, but even better in that it introduces great works of art. Only complaint is that the introductions to the paintings and artists are found in the back rather than with the individual pieces of art.
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked that each letter gave a different artist and you were able to look at a work of their art and find the letter corresponding to that image.
Jodie
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This ABC book introduces readers to different artists. The reader looks at the artwork and tries to find the hidden letter. Fun ABC book.
Donna
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Very Cool. Great alphabet hunt for the artist in us all. Some were quite tricky.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Readers can look at important works of art and see if they can find the alphabet letters in each painting. A fun way to introduce kiddos to beautiful works of art--and the alphabet.
Molly
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
A lovely book, that had a lot of kid appeal. My son enjoyed hunting for the letters, and I enjoyed introducing the art and artists.
Think&Pink 2CleverBlog
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
look for alphabet letters in famous paintings.
Tiffany T