Start by marking “Dinosaur Beach” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Beach

Dinosaur Beach

Appearing from the remote future, Nexx Central agent Ravel is emplaced in America, circa 1936. His mission: to undo successive tamperings of the time stream which threaten the survival of Mankind. He falls in love with a lovely, simple girl, Lisa, but in the midst of his happiness is called away to Dinosaur Beach.
Dinosaur Beach is a Nexx Central station located millions of
Published September 1972 by DAW Books UQ1021 (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Beach, please sign up.
Philip Not from "Dinosaur Beach," but from Laumer's "Plague of Demons" which has the same cheesy noir dialogue: "I rode up (the elevator), then walked past a…moreNot from "Dinosaur Beach," but from Laumer's "Plague of Demons" which has the same cheesy noir dialogue: "I rode up (the elevator), then walked past a few miles of wallpaper that was someone's revenge for a life of disappointments."(less)

Start your review of Dinosaur Beach
Karl
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: daw_own
DAW Collectors #21

Laumer, John Keith 9 June 1925 -- 23 January 1993

Alternate Names: Кейт Лаумер , Кейт Ломер , Anthony LeBaron, Kit Lomer

Cover Artist: Kelly Freas

"A shorter version of this novel appeared in the August 1969 issue of Analog under the title, "The Time Sweepers", and is copyright © 1969

Chris
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Hardboiled time cop is stranded in a time loop during the age of dinosaurs, and has to untangle a muddled web of intrigue and time paradoxes to get home alive. Very complex history and mechanics of time-travel make this one interesting; I like its presentation of time as something everyone wants to fix, yet every attempt to do so throws the time stream into greater and greater chaos.

Laumer's a good writer; the protagonist is easy to sympathize with, and has a fine noir-style personality. What I'
Adam Getchell
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Laumer novels. His take on time travel was pretty unique when it came out, and it anticipates a lot of the Transhumance/Singularity concepts so fashionable today. Laumer provides fast pacing, plenty of plot twists, and for me, a satisfying if bittersweet ending. I still retread this book from time to time, to enjoy the pacing and grand sweep of the story from one individual to all possible future histories and back again.
Cody
AAAAHHHHHH! TO THIS DAY I still love this book! Every summer I regret giving it away because I want to go back and read it every day forever. My mind was BLOWN in the last couple chapters. Seriously, one of the best books I have ever read. It has stuck with me for two years now, and I seriously cannot forget how great and detailed it was. I seriously need to track down a copy so I can just reread it whenever I've got a couple hours to spare.
Philip
NEW RULE: Every time I read a real stinker - in this case, John Gardner's License Renewed - I'm going to reread a previous guaranteed 5-star book, just to get the nasty taste out of my mouth. So...below a third reread of Dinosaur Beach; although not a third review per se, just some minor updates to my second reading, as I had pretty much the same feelings - "um, okaay..." for the first 170 pages and then "WOW!" for the rest. I really hate to say this, but it was almost as if Laumer somehow knew ...more
Matt Sears
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, pulp, mystery

Dinosaur Beach is a Nexx Central station located millions of years in the past, in the Jurassic Age. but shortly after Ravel's arrival, the station is attacked and destroyed, and Ravel
Jim
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you were expecting dinosaurs in a book titled "Dinosaur Beach," you'll be disappointed, as there are very few in this book published in 1971. Dinosaur Beach is a station for time travelers. Our hero is Ravel, who is involved in a war across time against robots who seem intent on destroying the time line. But, in dealing with time, paradox piles on top of paradox. Laumer gives us a better than average time travel story here and to quote a blurb on the book, it's "an exciting philosophical puz ...more
LXE
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it. I first read it in my 12 years because time travel. I first recommended it to fellow engineers when I was 26. I still believe it is the best book about concurrent programming - edited - coding in general - edited - engineering in general - edited - quality - edited - responsibility ever written.
Certain ideas overlap with other stories by the same author, or time travel fiction by other writers, but this book comes dense and concentrated in every possible way. Not so much a political p
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
Keith Laumer's Dinosaur Beach
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - April 3, 2015

That was fun. This is the 4th Laumer bk I've read in the past few days. I made a bit of fun of 2 of them as hack work. I looked him up online & read in one place that he had a stroke in the early 1970s & that he cdn't write for awhile after that but that he eventually started writing again. Here's one person's take on him:

"John Keith Laumer was an extremely successful man, an author who kept fit, always. It wa
Bruce
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I've read this book a number of times. It is the very exemplar of "page-turner." More than once I have stayed up to 3am to finish it, unable to put it down.

Clever time travel stuff, bit of transcendence at the end, just moves like greased lightning.

Love the many different metaphors used to describe the physical sensation of each time jump.

One of those books I read and then went looking for more from the same author, only to be disappointed. His best as far as I can tell.
Terry Mackenzie
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the four most exciting and thought-provoking time travel novels I've read. First you think you're in a gripping thriller then in a nano-second you find you're involved in breath-taking roller-coaster ride through temporal paradoxes that grips you to the final sentence. Brilliant!
Lois
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great change of pace book (science fiction) recommended to me by my brother. You had to pay close attention to the time traveling hero, and the intricate plot, but it was definitely clever and entertaining!
Douglas
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Despite the misleading title, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Martinw
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I read the reviews, and so many people found this book 'clever'. So, obviously, I belong to a minority, but I had the feeling that Laumer just makes up physics in order to not-really explain what is going on here. Now, what is going on? Our protagonist, Ravel, is a time travel agent for an organisation with the goal to repair ‘damages’ to time lines caused by previous time travelers. (Though you have to be careful with words like ‘previous’ in time travel.) I did not understand why, but there se ...more
Don Wentworth
I would have rated this 3 and half stars if possible but, if forced to choose between 3 and 4, it's a 3. Written at a very unique time in US history (1971), the impact of the women's movement is felt on what would have been an otherwise (relatively, pun intended) straightforward old fashioned (re: sexist) sci-fi pulp novel.

Not that it's entirely woke, but that's most definitely part of what makes it interesting.

When it comes to time travel, break out the slide rule and 4-D charts because the p
Norman Felchle
I don't know about this.
I have a bias against time travel stories that seem to just be about time travel...and not much else. (Did I miss something in this one?)
they seem to be clever exercises in making up rules by which the characters play...but the rules either seem arbitrary or overly complicated...to an end I have a hard time caring about.
I guess this was an ok book...some parts cheesy, some seemed kind of impressive...
But, in the end, I guess I just didn't get the point...
Daniel Moskowitz
May 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was 151 pages and went no where. There were maybe two dinosaurs but beyond that, there was time travel, robots good and evil, a whole bunch of science jargin and a girl left alone at home in early 1900's Buffalo. But beyond that, THE BOOK WENT NOWHERE.

I'll give it one brief golf clap off appreciation for the somewhat clever thought that the concept of a 'soul mate' can have scientific ramifications. But that's it. Go home book, you're drunk
Peter Tillman
I might have missed this one, back in the day. Here's what SFE has to say:
It's a Time Police tale; "the deliriously complex Dinosaur Beach (1971) by Keith Laumer, where the fabric of time is increasingly knotted and fragmented by successive, warring human time-regulators, and the stability of a final Time Travel-free history can be achieved only by AI time police willing to accept their own erasure."

So I might look for a cheap copy, to fill out a Thriftbooks order?
Kent
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun little time travel adventure story. It didin't blow me away, but I found it a good read. Ravel is a timesweeper on a mission to correct the mistakes of past time travelers to help repair the rips in the time continuum, or something like that. He ends up being sabotaged and stuck in a time loop deep in the past at their station in the Jurassic period.
Jerry Petersen
Meh. A lot of weird stuff toward the end that there was no lead-up to, regarding the abilities of the main character.
Usually I like time travel that involves experiencing different eras, but this does little of that.
Ray
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good sci-fi novel, with a pretty good take on time travel.
Bart Hill
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best time-traveler books I've read. I did predict one key plot twist early on, but even that did not distract from great story-telling.
Rob
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. It was just plain old okay. With a title like "Dinosaur Beach" (suggesting dinosaurs) and a cover showing a futuristic man and woman with a monstrous T-Rex in the background (again, suggesting dinosaurs), I was expecting an action filled time-travelling romp with dinosaurs, but that's not what I got. Instead I got a mediocre novel about a time travel agent who falls in love, an author who likes to use big complicated words to explain the wh ...more
Jeff Parker
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-sci-fi
I had not expected as much intrigue and the plot twists that abound in Dinosaur Beach. In my mind I had always thought of Laumer as a pulp sci-fi writer, in the vein of ERB but more modern. This book definitely changed my opinion of Keith Laumer. While the novel is short, action packed and full of all the other classic pulp elements there is a level of intelligence and sophistication hidden within the story that you do not often associate with pulp novels. Definitely one of the most interesting ...more
Peter Maurer
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, this is the best time-travel story ever written. Well, I haven't read them all, but it's certainly the best one I've ever read. I can't really say anything about the story without giving something away. You'll just have to read it for yourself. Even if you don't like time-travel stories, you'll like this one.
Brian
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Dinosaur Beach remains one of my favorite science fiction classics. Laumer isn't widely recognized as a great science fiction writer, because of the pulp nature of his prose, but his plots and underlying scientific speculation overcomes this.
Marcus
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have reread this book multiple times. Favorite Laumer book (with the first three imperium novels a close second). Best time travel story I have ever read/seen. Laumer has a "film noir" style of writing that you may not like right away, I've come to love it.
bluetyson
Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer (2000)
Neith
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most coherent of his books I've read, but the main draw is still watching Keith Laumer unpredictably bounce around from plot device to plot device.
Scott Duede
This book surprised me in a few ways. The writing is good, and the story is sound. Worth reading.

• Tarnsman of Gor (Gor #1)
  • Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)
  • Fourth Mansions
  • Mention My Name in Atlantis
  • A Voyage to Arcturus
  • The Goblin Reservation
  • This Crowded Earth
  • City at World's End
  • Home Made Bread Recipes: The Complete Guide to Breads for any Occasion (Every Day Recipes)
  • Islands of Space
  • At the Earth's Core (Pellucidar, #1)
  • The Mindblocked Man
  • The Return of the Time Machine
  • The City Machine
  • Something Coming Through
  • Warm Worlds and Otherwise
  • Entry to Elsewhen
  • Green Phoenix
John Keith Laumer was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known for his Bolo stories and his sa