Start by marking “Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook” as Want to Read:
Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook

Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook

The question I grappled with was how to move students from “couch-potato” readers who can answer basic questions with one wordto readers who think while readingto readers who think beyond their reading.

–Aimee Buckner

In Notebook Know-How, Aimee Buckner demonstrated the power of notebooks to spark and capture students’ ideas in the writing workshop. In Notebook Connection
Published April 29th 2009 by Stenhouse Publishers (first published March 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Notebook Connections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notebook Connections

Start your review of Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
Kathy Mathey
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
...even better second time around...
Michele Knott
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Writing about reading is hard for me, so I can imagine kids having difficulty with it.
Aimee Buckner lays the information out in a way that seems sequential and makes sense to my mind. This was a very helpful read, and one that I am eager to put in place.
Donalyn
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Like Aimee Buckner, I have often been frustrated with the poor quality of my students' reading response entries. Aimee provides practical solutions for teaching students how to respond and provides rubrics, lesson plan ideas, and reflections to use with students.

I do not always agree with her approach, for example, I do not grade students' grammar, spelling, etc. when assessing response entries (perhaps I should). I will need to tweak some of her ideas to make them work with my philosophy about
Kym
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This has been a wonderful "serious" read this summer. I worked on some of her strategies personally in my own "beginning" notebook, and it really opened my eyes to some of my own beliefs about reading.

She has constructed an interesting approach to specifically getting students to write about their comprehension/what their thinking about as they read.

Although written for older students, I am excited to dabble with some of these ideas with my younger students.

Shaeley Santiago
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: reading teachers (3rd - 9th grades)
Quite similar to Buckner's Notebook Know-How: Strategies For The Writer's Notebook but with more focus on reading strategies such as Leaning In, Fab Five, History of a Reader, What I Know to Be True about Reading, and Character Connections. A fairly quick read with lots of student examples to add depth to her descriptions. ...more
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so grateful Jennifer Saravallo recommended this book at ILA. It is a gem. It has helped me really understand how to maximize readers notebooks in my classroom. The strategy lessons are strong and innovative. I can't wait to try a few! I also love how she connects the strategies to writing. I got so much from this book I ordered her other two books!
Tiffany Spurlin
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I am truly enjoying this book. Any new teacher and then the veteran teacher should give this a read. It talks about was the enhance your classroom and what would make it better with a reader's notebook. She has so many great ideas to enhance their reading and make them enjoy what they read.
Tina Brown-Larkin
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great resource. Full of valuable insight and practical applications.
Madi Houston
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read for many good little tips for readers’ notebooks. This book is definitely geared toward upper elementary or middle school, but there is still a lot to adapt for the high school teachers!
Erik
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Where her first book Notebook Know-How centered on the writer’s notebook, Buckner shifts her attention to the reader’s notebook, and how reading like a writer, and writing about that heightens both student interest and learning. In essence, all the mini-lessons and strategies she outlines reinforce the old adage of reading like a writer, and even its inverse, writing like a reader.

Although I’m personally a huge fan of her philosophy and pedagogy – in an ideal classroom, that is – I am wary of t
Debbie
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book for two reasons. One: I am doing interactive notebooks with my English 1 Support students and I thought it would give me good ideas. Two: it's about the "reader's notebook," which was something I wasn't familiar with.

All in all, I wasn't disappointed with the book. The writers give clear reasons for why they developed certain strategies, how to do it (including a mini-script, in some cases), and goals and procedures. Often, there are student examples, too. I haven't gotten
Lou Broughton
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A quick read with practical extended response teaching ideas for the reader's notebook that will help intermediate teachers assess the level of understanding and frequency of use of comprehension strategies with their students. However, this book mostly focuses on fiction. Even though the author states in the beginning of the book that her suggestions extend to all genres, most do not extend to non-fiction.

I liked how the author referred to how her work with reader's notebooks pairs nicely with
Cindy
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I know this will get me tarred and feathered but I really think homeschooling parents should be required to take continuing education credits just like real teachers. I'm not sure how I'd finance this requirement but I am certainly missing out on all the new and improved strategies in education (of course, on the flip side, I'm also missing out on all the here today-gone tomorrow strategies as well). I am so motivated by the idea of the reader's notebook. Although I felt like the author could ha ...more
Dona Howe
Dec 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Several of Aimee's "strategies" or activities that she illustrates in the book look fantastic. I think they would be useful. This book wasn't exactly what I was looking for, however. Although I recognize and embrace the reading-writing connection, this book was really more about the writing than the reading. I was looking for guidance in using reading notebooks in the classroom to help with assessment (formal and informal) during reader's workshop. Although Aimee does talk about assessment and p ...more
Lbeebe
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: education
Although I loved Aimee Buckner's Notebook Connections for the Writer's Notebook, I was truly disappointed with her recent release for the Reader's Notebook. It seems she is a writer at heart and fails to focus her new book solely on reading, much of the book slides into suggestions for the Writer's Notebook.
Nika
Aug 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
I am gravely disappointed by this resource, after hearing so many good things about this teacher/author. There is nothing new here! There is an artificial tang throughout. She did not help me connect reading and writing notebooks in any way other than I would have done it before picking up this book.
Kayla
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
Pretty much every Aimee Buckner book is great. She gives real, applicable ways to use notebooks in class. So many professional literature books utilize theory, and give you very little applicable, relevant material. Buckner's books are not like that. She is very user friendly, and very readable.
Tiffany Neal
Aug 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I got some good ideas from this book, some that I really liked and some that I would definitely have to tweak to make work for me.

Some of her points, I don't completely agree with, but overall this was a quick read to give me some new ideas for how to make the readers' notebook work in my classroom.
Wendy
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I got quite a bit our of this book, including "What I Know To Be True About Reading," a concept I found myself expanding upon. Younger students might have trouble with Buckner's 2 notebooks, one for writing thoughts and one for reading thoughts. I especially liked her lesson/information about summarize versus retell. A worthy book for teaching professionals.
Kim
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-books
Aimee Buckner's books are great, and this is no exception. I especially like how she balances the descriptions of the WHAT and the WHY in her texts. In this book, Buckner takes the writer's notebook into the reading/literature classroom. I love books that make the reading/writing connections explicit.
Barb Keister
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it

Good ideas for launching a reader's notebook - strategies that teachers can also use as models in their own reader's notebooks. Assessment is always tricky in reading workshop, but Buckner provides some practical ideas ranging from student reflection to developing rubrics. Good practical resource filled with student examples.
Karen
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Good start, but then it seemed to focus more on writing than reading. I know they're linked, but it just felt like Buckner fell back onto writing more about her personal strength (teaching writing). I was hoping there would be more focus on pulling literary elements into the reader's notebook. Still good overall.
Gail
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2-6 gr. teachers
Recommended to Gail by: Jill Corkery
Aimee Buckner has written a practical and inspirational guide for using reader's notebooks. She has included many easy-to-implement mini-lessons as well as a section on assessments. This is a must-have for any teacher who wants to have students using a reader's notebook in a purposeful way that deepens understanding of reading strategies.
Jamie
The strategies were clearly described and organized. Although I felt the earlier book, Notebook Know-How, had more a-ha moments for me, I do think this book has valuable ideas to offer. I'm not sure these are strategies I will lift out and use exactly as described, but I did find myself inspired to write notes to plan for my students based on passages in this book.
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it
While geared more toward teachers of upper elementary/middle school. There were some bits that were applicable to the younger group. It definitely gave me things to think about in regards to my 1st graders.
Doris Herrmann
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Focused on pulling writing ideas from reading material, this book is a great resource for the middle school teacher using writers workshop. The ideas are based in sound theory, and look like they'd be engaging for the students as well.
Krista Tillman
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some great ideas for rubrics I hope to use for assessing my student's reading notebooks. Also has some great lesson ideas. Having taught for a few years now I didn't find many new ideas in the book, but it included some good examples and new spins on lessons I'd like to use.
Rikki Heggy
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teacher-books
In reading this book, I was hoping to find some new ways to authentically work with reader's notebooks in my classroom. While I did find a few things try, I didn't always agree with Aimee's philosophy. This is a good jumping off point for teachers who are new to the notebook.
Suzy Brooks
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Practical and useful strategies to use with students when developing notebooking skills. I read this book as part of a book group with other teachers and it made for great conversations and collaborations.
Jeff
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book affirmed a lot of the things I am already doing in reading, but gave me practical ideas and encouragement to do many of them in a better way or in a more efficient way. It's easy to read and follow and very practical.

• Teaching Reading in Middle School: A Strategic Approach to Teaching Reading That Improves Comprehension and Thinking
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child
  • Reading in the Wild
  • Wish
  • Roar: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Unique Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life
  • Beyond the Trees: A Journey Alone Across Canada's Arctic
  • Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People
  • 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny: Life Lessons from Teaching
  • Our Little Lies
  • Dedication
  • Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (Rose Gardner Mystery, #1)
  • Camp