Start by marking “The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads” as Want to Read:

Bake up all your favorites, without the animal products, with 100 fantastic vegan baking recipes from bestselling cookbook author Kris Holechek Peters.

Packed with cruelty-free cookies, cakes and pastries rich in flavor, The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes provides everything novice bakers and seasoned chefs need to go vegan with an indulgent flair, including:

•Easy-to-m
Published September 8th 2009 by Ulysses Press (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes

Start your review of The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
Kym
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to bake and wants to save a few animals along the way
i love this book! unlike every other vegan baking book i've read, this one calls for normal ingredients that most people have around the house (organic sugar, flour, margarine, vanilla, applesauce, etc). there are very few of those obscure vegan ingredients that usually required in most other vegan cookbooks (like agave nectar, tapioca flour, powdered egg substitute, or coconut oil).

i used the recipe for chocolate chip cookies and they turned out to be some of the best damn chocolate chip cookie
mad mags
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, reviewed
This review was originally published on V for Vegan as part of Veganmofo IV; please click though for additional commentary and photos.

Cookies, muffins and cakes, oh my!

Earlier in the year, I happened upon a giveaway of The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes; publisher Ulysses Press was offering up a few copies of the recently-released book for review. Since I was already a fan of author Kris Holechek through her NOM! NOM! NOM! BLOG (and, perhaps more to the point, am unable to pass up a vegan freebi
Emma
Sep 10, 2009 added it
I am loving this book. The recipes are easy and no weird ingredients. I have made the Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies, the Oatmeal Drizzles and the Gingerbread, they were all awesome!
Brittany
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m purely a chocolate kind of baker so lemon bar recipes don’t appeal to me. I only wrote down two recipes out of 100 and you can find similar ones on Pinterest. I got the ebook from my library which didn’t have even one picture of any of the baked goods.
Emma England
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Effective and easy recipes that call for basic ingredients. There are easily adaptable as well. I'd go so far as to say this is the only vegan baking book you need if you don't do much baking.

The only downside, although it isn't enough to drop a star, is the lack of pictures.
Sita
Feb 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
No pictures!! Cookbooks need pictures for me to enjoy them and want to try out the recipes.
Virginia Hill
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In the first year after receiving this book as a gift I've made nearly 20 of 100 recipes. The results of those recipes have all been amazing! Ms. Holechek offers some invaluable information, tips, and suggestions. I also like her difficulty rating system for each recipe. I've found the book's scale of 1 to 4 spoons extremely helpful when allotting time to prepare a recipe. Her instructions are easy to follow and the results are delectable!

If you're dealing with certain allergies, as I am, this
Mckinley
Aug 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
I was interested to try out some of these. And I did. Disappointing.

She uses a white icing 'recipe' a lot; it's powered sugar and milk - all you taste is that odd powered sugar flavor. I even added vanilla extract without much improvement. So I added butter, I KNOW! Not very vegan but it had some taste and body. I put it on the chocolate doughnuts. Which smelled very chocolatey but didn't taste good. They are thick and a bit gummy. There's no leavening agent. They don't have enough sugar 1/4c t
Lauren
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: veggie, cooking
The book has some winning recipes in it - but you have to be willing to take the risk and just jump in. If you are a cook that likes a lot of photos and directions, this book may not be for you. Also, if you are new to vegan baking, I would suggest another book first... to get your feet "wet" and familiarize with substitutions, ingredients, etc. It's very plain - all black and white, no photos, and only a little bit of explanation - but it does have many good recipe offerings. I made several of ...more
Trelesa
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fabulous basic Vegan baking book! I love that the only ingredients avoided are to keep in line with vegan diets (not requiring different sugars, oils, or flours). I've made the blueberry muffins and cornbread and both turned out great (successful enough that my non-vegan family liked them also.) Also a good egg replacement chart in the intro chapter. There is a nice variety of recipes, while covering the basics. The drawback is there are no photos. ...more
AJ
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've only tried one recipe in here so far (french toast muffins) and they were quite delicious. Can't wait to try a bunch more! I like how simple many of the recipes are, and while many of them are standards, they're still different from the stuff I have in so many other vegan cookbooks. One bummer is that the book has no pictures, except for the cover. I think the chapter with EZ Bake Oven recipes is kinda cute. ...more
Joni
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This looks good, but I would love for the recipes to be more healthful. Although the author does come right out at say that this isn't a health food book!

I'm sure I'll find some recipes in here that we won't be able to live without. I can't wait to try the Chocolate Peanut Butter Shells - they sound absolutely sinful!
Lotta
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, non-fiction, cooking
Since I first got this cookbook, I have tried at least four, and they have all turned out very well - two even became new favourites. When I want to bake, I turn to this book - that's five stars from me! A minus with this book is that there are no pictures to the recipes. I like visuals in my cookbooks. A plus is that there are very few strange ingredients. ...more
Susan
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mmmmmm...... it would get 5 stars if it had pictures! I love the few recipes for mini cakes and cookies you could use in the Easy Bake Oven. I made the banana bread and it was extrememly tasty. My family ate most of it at one dinner.
Charissa
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recipes are alright, tone is preachy.
I appreciate that in her introduction she states flat-out that the recipes aren't healthy -- normally I would probably veer more towards whole-food-ier fat and sugar sources, so it was nice to have the heads up.
Grace
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. A huge array of recipes, with a handy chart at the bottom of each one telling you the difficulty rating. This has the most amazing brownies I have ever tasted. Everyone should own this, vegan or not, it is just great food!
Yodamom
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yummy ! My kids and I baked several cakes and cookies from this book and all came out delicious ! Our favorite was the Pumpkin Cinn-A Zigg Bread and the Choco-Chai Coffee Cake. They were so easy to make with no special ingredients. My only complaint is that there are no pictures. I like pictures.
Jess
Oct 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, veggie
So far, so good! Delicious recipes.
F.P.
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for the Oatmeal Drizzles--my husband asks for them every day lol.
Jessica
Dec 26, 2009 is currently reading it
Shelves: cookbooks
Fudgy Macaroon Bars: I really liked these coconut bars, but wasn't a huge fan of topping them with fudgy frosting. ...more
Jenny D
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every recipe in this book is awesome. I have not had a bad one yet, and I've been baking a lot from it. I love the simplicity and straightforwardness, such a joy to find in the vegan baking world!! ...more
Lisa Arrigo
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i love this cookbook! the banana bread recipe is the best I have ever made.. .
Kathleen McDonald
Jan 14, 2013

• Trust Me: The True Story of Confession Killer Henry Lee Lucas
  • Jungian Dream Interpretation: A Handbook of Theory and Practice
  • Heads Up Sociology
  • 300 15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Meals That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • Encyclopedia of Crystals, Revised and Expanded
  • Pendulum 101 - The Beginner's Guide to Using a Pendulum
  • Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability
  • Super Easy Vegan Cheese Cookbook: 70 Delicious Plant-Based Cheeses
  • 300 Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes: Healthy Dinners that are Ready When You Are
  • AQA Psychology for A Level Year 1 & AS - Student Book
  • AS Level Sociology
  • Cold Calling Techniques {That Really Work!}
  • A Piece of Cake
  • Thriving in Sex Work: Heartfelt Advice for Staying Sane in the Sex Industry: A Self-Help Book for Sex Workers
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat
Kris Holechek Peters grew up in her grandmother's kitchen, absorbing every flavor and technique until she was able to perfect her grandmother's favorite baking recipes. When she became vegan, Kris learned to create those old family favorites and exciting new baked treats without using any animal products.

Kris lives in the Midwest with her kitties and an excessively large collection of Bundt pans.