Start by marking “To the Stars” as Want to Read:
To the Stars

To the Stars

This is the autobiography of one of Star Trek's most popular stars, George Takei. It tells of his triumph over adversity and of his huge success, despite an inauspicious start in a wartime US Asian relocation camp. In his lifetime, he has become an actor, a successful businessman, a writer, and a man deeply involved in politics and the democratic process. His story also in ...more
Published December 1st 1995 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about To the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Stars

Start your review of To the Stars
Mauoijenn
Ohhh Myyy!

Loved this!! If you're a fan of Takei's, Star Trek, Sci-fi or just need a good laugh. Read this book. I bow to you sir!!
Dan
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought about starting this review off with the sentence, “This book is the perfect reason I don’t go into bookstores any more”, but that might tease you into thinking I’m about to describe a terrible read.

Nothing could possibly be further from the truth!

I was walking around a local big box bookstore one evening with a friend and, knowing my propensity to buy books just for the thrill when I know I’ve got bookshelves filled with unread books, I gave in and bought the autobiography of George Ta
Harry Concepcion
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
For me, the audiobook version is the only way to enjoy this book. What could be better than to hear George Takei tell his life story in his own voice? Oh myyy!!!!
Hilary
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Like most people, I knew George Takei primarily as Mr. Sulu, the helmsman from the original Star Trek series, but reading this autobiography made it clear that he is so much more than that. (And if you love Star Trek, this book won't spoil anything for you but will instead enhance your appreciation.)

As a child, Takei was caught up in the anti-Japanese paranoia of WWII, so although he was born in Los Angeles he spent his younger childhood years in internment camps, first in Arkansas and then in o
Blanche
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
Simply delightful. George Takei is a lovely, thoughtful man, with a delightfully personable writing style. Throughout his rich life -- he begins by describing his experiences as a small boy in the Japanese American internment camps -- he maintains a clear sense of joy, a belief in the potential of humanity, and a wonderful sense of humor. As a Trekkie, I also love seeing the same stories from yet another perspective. His perspectives on the show, and on his fellow actors, are fascinating windows ...more
Nick Gotch
Dec 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I actually listened to the newly released audio book version read by Takei himself. An excellent insight into the man and some behind-the-scenes history of Star Trek.

The first few chapters are emotionally powerful, when he talks about his youth and time spent inside US internment camps with his family, but it does get lighter later on. Lots on his early acting career and even his brief dabbling with politics.
Shirleynature
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-justice
George Takei is a fantastic storyteller and it’s so great to listen to this author tell his own story in the audiobook! This is comparable to Born a Crime by Trevor Noah with references to social injustice; Takei shares his poignant childhood experiences with his parents persevering U.S Internment of Japanese Americans during WWII. He also reveals much of his acting career, including dramatic conflicts with William Shatner on the set making Star Trek.
Alexa
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprisingly lukewarm on this book and didn't feel compelled to come back to it. Once I was reading it, I enjoyed it but I never really wanted to get back to it. I’m not really sure why, either. I don’t think it is what I expected but that’s not George’s fault. It seems plenty of people have enjoyed the book. I wonder if maybe his style just wasn't right for me. The most interesting parts to me were George’s time spent in the internment camps and his experiences with Star Trek, especially ...more
Grace
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Mr. Takei's early childhood memories with his family, start into show business and Star Trek memoirs. Now I'm eagerly waiting for the "true" autobiography that explains how he handled his homosexuality in Hollywood during a time where you needed to stay "in the closet" just to work. I am such a George Takei fan!
Bethany
"So much was irretrievably lost. The business--abandoned. The rented house on Garnet Street--hurriedly vacated. The car, sold for the best offer, five dollars--better to get something than leave it behind. But the new refrigerator got no offer. It nearly killed Mama to have to abandon it to the vultures. Everything other than what we were allowed to carry--all abandoned. All memories now. All as fleeting as the sand blowing past the window. All gone."

Takei really takes us TO THE STARS--from the
Lindea
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The autobiography of George Takei, better know as the helmsman Mr. Sulu, is obviously a must read for any Trekkie out there. Though this book doesn’t require the reader to be overly familiar with the StarTrek universe. Takei’s story is a captivating, engaging adventure. Through his eyes we can see the issues he had to deal with for being a Japanese American, he grew up facing the anti-Japanese paranoia of WWII. He shares his memories from the camps, though retrospectively as he adds in adult ela ...more
Melissa McCauley
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I learned so many things I did not know about George Takei by reading this thoroughly engaging autobiography. As a child he was interred in a WWII Japanese-American prison camp in Arkansas (my state!). He started college as an architecture major, but switched to theater and received both B.A. and M.A. degrees from UCLA. He spent a decade working on the board of directors for the Southern California Rapid Transit. He has been involved in politics since his junior high school days. He had many act ...more
Andy
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating biography by George Takei. The biography actually has only a little to do with his stint as Sulu on Star Trek.

What fascinated me was his description of growing up in the internment camps in the US during WWII. I knew the US interned Americans of Japanese descent during the war (our neighbors when I was growing up are Japanese and were interned during the war), but I did not stop to think about what it was like until I read this book. Strangely enough I read this book during a trip
Jim
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One night in Sept 1966, I sat down in front of the old black-and-white TV in my bedroom to watch a new TV show called Star Trek. From the very first episode all the way until today, I am still proud to be a big fan of the whole Star Trek world!

It should be no surprise that when I discovered "To The Stars" by George Takei (Mr Sulu to you), I downloaded it from audible.com and listened. A relatively short book (about 3+ hours of audio) it covered the life story of our favorite helmsman. From growi
Lisa
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Of all the casts' memoirs, Takei's autobiography is the most poignant. He spent several years with his family (his father a former doctor in San Francisco) in an American "internment camp" during WWII and their family lost everything.

I appreciated his honesty and ability to delve into such painful memories to bring to life that atrocity, but more importantly his conquest over racial prejudices that marred that period of history
Kathleen
May 16, 2009 rated it liked it
As a veteran of the American internment camps during WWII and an aspiring actor during a time when the parts for Asian leads in movies were still going to the likes of Sir Alec Guinness, George Takei's perspective on race relations in the US is fascinating. This would be a worthwhile story from any author, but it carries special interest coming from someone who portrayed such a famous, groundbreaking character.

Plus, there are awesome behind the scenes Star Trek stories.
Carol
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was really surprised and pleased with this book - have already recommended it so many times my family's eyes begin to dim when I bring it up. Star Trek I expected. The history lesson, primer about show business, and the view of conventions from the other side of the stage I did not expect.

I REALLY recommend this book. Seriously.
Eric
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read most of this one in the bookstore. It's by far the best of the Star Trek cast's biographies, many of which I have read or skimmed in the store. Seriously, Takei actually talks about his family's experience with the Japanese interment camps.
Juel
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
While not the most riviting writing, I was fascinated to read how he was in the Japanese internment camps. To bad he didn't come out until after this book was written. I kept wondering about his private life.
Rena Sherwood
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Sulu only plays a small part in the life of George "Oh MY" Takei. He's the most eloquent writer of the Star Trek family and has the most compelling biography. However, this book never touches on Takei's homosexuality. The book is rich enough not to need sexual spice, though. Highly recommended!
Misha
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
George Takei is a great writer! The book is interesting, funny and well worth the read. The only problem is that it was written before he decided it was "OK to be Takei" in public!
Steve
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A surprisingly OK read, from start to finish. I read this primarily to learn more about George Takei's experience as one of 120,000+ Japanese Americans held behind barbed wire in internment camps by the United States during World War II, and imagined that I'd put the book down when that part of his story was over. But Takei is a good enough story-teller that I kept reading 'til the end, learning much more about Star Trek in the process than I ever imagined knowing. Note to potential readers: thi ...more
Robert Sparrenberger
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a pleasant surprise this one was. I didn’t realize George had such an interesting life and a great story to tell. It starts with the internment camps during world war 2 and then to his early career in acting.
I was reading this for his insights into his years on the Star Trek set and he did not disappoint there either. I was shocked at his visceral dislike for William Shatner. I’d read this previously about Captain Kirk. It’s unfortunate that he has to be that way.

A really good book even i
Rob
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, Even though the living through hard times is hard. when you are through it all and look back, You lived a life. What an American dream story. it came fully equipped with one of the nightmares that America should feel guilt over, The Japanese American Internment Camps of WWII, People and Countries make big mistakes, Please remember our History so that we do not ever do such a thing again. Do not hide from history, let it be your guide. This book was a lot more than just another memory of Sta ...more
Denise
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-harder
Bookworm
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read for a 'Star Trek' fan. As like many others, I really only know George Takei as Sulu (I don't even follow his social media although I know he's relatively popular on that forum). However, it was really worth the read to find out a lot more about the man.

For instance, he actually spent a few years as a child in a Japanese internment camp during World War II. His experiences were probably buffeted by that he was just a child, but it was still a sad and depressing read. After the end
Shay VanZwoll
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I originally read the hardcover book, checked out from my library, but the publisher is now offering an e-book version so I am basing my review on the new e-book, released March 10, 2015. I was able to read this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This autobiography of George Takei is a great look at one of the most famous Asian actors during his early career, as well as an in-depth look at how it was to be on Star Trek, TOS (The Original Series). Takei's personality shines t
Adeline
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographies, sci-fy
This book was a good portrayal of George Takei within the confines of Star Trek, mostly. I came into the book with an open mind – only knowing George from Star Trek, and saw one interview of him lashing out about William Shatner. I had already read bios on Shatner, Nimoy, and Roddenberry, so I am going down the list slowly but surely. I was interested to learn more about this man with this public grudge, and the wrongs that made him angry.

After finishing the book, I am now not the biggest Takei
Christina Sesok
As a lifelong Trekkie, I'm ashamed that it's taken me this long to read this book. I've adored George Takei for a while, and his story is definitely fascinating. In a way, I left like I already knew part of his story since I had the distinct honor of sitting front row when Takei's semi-autobiographical musical "Allegiance" ran on Broadway. That show focused on the internment camps, and this book went so far past that.

I found the blissful ignorance that Takei experienced in the camps uplifting. T
Chasia Lloyd
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun autobiography to read for a lot of reasons. Published over 20 years ago, well before George Takei stole the hearts of millions over social media, the book offers many details over George Takei's life before and during STAR TREK. I've been trying to write a coherent review, but I'm clearly suffering from some kind of mental block, so I'm just going to list the things I liked and then the thing I didn't like.

LIKE:
- Child point of view of Japanese internment during WWII. George Takei
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I Am Spock
  • Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man
  • The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek-The First 25 Years
  • No Ivy League
  • Resistance: A Songwriter's Story of Hope, Change, and Courage
  • Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Wham! George & Me
  • Sarek
  • Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime
  • Up Till Now
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas (Zero's Journey #4)
  • Vampire State Building
  • The Rise of Skywalker
  • Once More Upon a Time
  • The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel
George Hosato Takei is an American actor best known for his role in the TV series "Star Trek," in which he played the helmsman Hikaru Sulu on the USS Enterprise. His baritone earned Takei recurring appearances as the announcer for "The Howard Stern Show" starting on January 9, 2006, after that show's move to satellite radio.