Start by marking “There Goes the Bride (Agatha Raisin, #20)” as Want to Read:
There Goes the Bride (Agatha Raisin, #20)

There Goes the Bride

(Agatha Raisin #20)

Bossy, impulsive Cotswold detective agency owner Agatha Raisin jokingly responds "Shoot her?" when ex-husband James Lacey desperately seeks last-minute reprieve. Suave Sylvan Dubois manipulated simple-minded surgically-created beauty Felicity and charms Agatha. But she is suspect #1 when a fatal bullet prevents the vows.
Hardcover, Minotaur, 277 pages
Published 2009 by St Martin's

To ask other readers questions about There Goes the Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Goes the Bride

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
1,801 books — 1,950 voters
The Quiche of Death by M.C. BeatonDeath of a Chimney Sweep by M.C. BeatonAgatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener by M.C. BeatonThe Vicious Vet by M.C. BeatonAgatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham by M.C. Beaton
M. C. Beaton
98 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy
Finally, I've finished by Agatha Raisin reading blitz of the whole series (until the new one comes out in October). I have to admit, because after the first one I wasn't sure I would like the character, that I am now a big Agatha Raisin fan. I enjoyed her emotional and social growth throughout the series, and I think it was an advantage in reading straight through the series to fully appreciate that growth. Her humanity was somewhat lacking in the beginning, but Agatha has done a lot of growing ...more
Jenny L
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Read them! All of them. All 23. They are simply fabulous! I love them and love Agatha Raisin. The stories are set in the English Cotswolds - which is where I'm from, so that makes them extra special, but I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you want to read about an opinionated, outspoken, headstrong single woman in her middle years with no money worries, but men worries and murder at every turn, then you too will love Agatha Raisin. Just make sure you buy more than one at a time, because y ...more
Damaskcat
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin's former husband, James Lacey is getting married. Agatha has mixed feelings about this event and to take her mind off it she decides she has fallen for a glamorous Frenchman she met at James' engagement party. All the series characters are invited to James' wedding but it seems all is not well with the happy couple and precisely what is the glamorous Frenchman up to?

This is an intriguing mystery with plenty of action and some nail biting scenes in which it seems Agatha just may hav
Berit☀️✨
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Agatha's love life was quite a hot mess in this book....
Agatha going to a dating service was absolutely priceless! Every date Agatha had in this book was quite hilarious.... and this book made me think once again that Agatha and Charles really do belong together, even though Charles is such a selfish ass.... there was quite a lot going on in this book, and as I've mentioned in other reviews I truly like the addition of Tony and Sharon now as well, I like the dynamic of the youth with Agatha.....
Karen M
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, series, own
This series never fails to entertain me. Sometimes you just need to read something light and funny. I always look forward to seeing what trouble Agatha's ego will get her into next.
bella
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Trouble (and murder!) seem to follow Agatha Raisin around. This time when Agatha attends her ex-husband's wedding she doesn't expect the bride to turn up dead, but that is exactly what happens. While Agatha isn't sure how she feels about James Lacey, her ex-husband and on-and-off again crush, she certainly doesn't wish his fiance dead. When Felicity Bross-Tilkington turns up dead right before the "I Do's" the policy point their fingers at Agatha and it's up to Agatha to prove her innocence.

I lov
Erin L
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-british
I'm in the middle of the next book in the series, having just finished this one. Honestly, I feel like the author is just phoning it in at this point.

While I do still see some character development in Agatha, she still makes the same mistakes again and again. And at the end of this book, there were entire chapters devoted to completely pointless crap. I know why it was put in there, but I also strongly suspect it was mostly added to make the book an acceptable length. It also felt contrived and
Emily Cullen
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Agatha's ex-husband is getting married again and Agatha begrudgingly attends, but the wedding is not to be as the bride is shot to death. Knowing Agatha's reputation, the bride's parents ask her to investigate. I took a break from reading the Agatha Raisin mystery series and was delighted to plunge back in again! This is the perfect English village mystery and Agatha is a perfectly unlikeable character. She's not all bad actually, and I enjoy this middle-age woman ever in search of love. I'm loo ...more
El (book.monkey)
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fantastic, it kept me guessing throughout the whole book keeping me interested the whole time, though I did find occasionally that i found Agatha to be a bit of a grumpy old woman but for the most part she was portrayed as what ever 50 year old woman should be like, enthusiastic and energetic.
I do enjoy reading new crime writers because it means I'm not used to the way they write their characters. I do realise I started on the 20th book but I'm not planning on reading the others any ti
Connie
Feb 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
I love listening to the Agatha Raisin books but in the latest, There goes the Bride, the reader has changed. I have nothing against in fact I like Penelope Keith but she is not the reader I have come to associate with Agatha Raisin. Only listened to one disk.
Cyndi
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
James plans on remarrying but then murder arrives, with Agatha, of course. Most people just bring a crockpot as a gift.
Sam Wilkinson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun to read adventure with Agatha. Humorous descriptions, outrageous behaviour, peril, and a bodycount to rival a thriller, all of Agatha's nearest and dearest put in appearances to save various days, whilst Agatha is her usual self. I think in real life, Agatha would infuriate me, but on the page, she's utterly lovable.
Gina
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars rounded up. These Agatha books get better and better. Especially with regard to James Lacey. Interesting mystery although it did get a little predictable at the end. But the dating agency follies were quite funny. I just wish she'd quit falling in love after one date! Could there still be hope for an Agatha-Charles match? Stay tuned.....
Evelyn Morgan
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I have seen the TV series of Agatha Raisin mysteries which was not bad. I had heard a few comments that the books were better, so I decided to read one. It was OK, but I think I prefer the more vintage or period mysteries. Agatha is an interesting character, but not to my taste.
writer...
Difficulties with the hoopla version quitting interrupted listening though the mysteries of the storyline kept my interest.

Language the usual issue.
Fiction State Of Mind
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Coyer Winter Switch

Of course James getting married makes Agatha more mad for him, but when the bride is killed before the ceremony Agatha is angered that James wants to just forget it all. Agatha however can’t , and falls into danger once again. Both James and Agatha fail to learn from their mistakes. Agatha immediately begins to moon over James who has the nerve to invite her to his engagement party and wedding! When the inevitable dead body turns upAgatha scams to have James join her in the iv
Lauren
In this book, Agatha Raisin, private detective, finds herself the prime suspect in a thrilling murder involving her ex-husbands fiancé. On her ex’s big wedding day, the bride-to-be, a whiny young women far out of her ex’s league, is found murdered in her bedroom. What unfolds is a scandalous mystery full of international crime and intrigue with Agatha right at its center.

I did not realize at the time that this book was part of a series (quite a long one, in fact – this was book #20!), which made
Ali
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Agatha's former husband James is engaged to be married to a beautiful, young woman and Agatha has been kindly invited to the wedding. To take her mind off this, Agatha decides she has fallen for Sylvan, a Frenchman she met at James' engagement party. To distract her still further she decides upon a holiday and flies to Istanbul, where unfortunately she bumps into James and his fiancee not once but twice - convincing him she is stalking them. So when the bride is murdered on her wedding day, natu ...more
Mary
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this series because it is just great fun....and because it is set in England. Reading it is rather like listening to rock and roll after listening to a Mahler Symphony. This newest book is rather more abrupt in its twists and turns.

Agatha’s former husband James is engaged to be married to a beautiful, young woman and Agatha has been kindly invited to the wedding. To take her mind off this, Agatha decides she has fallen for Sylvan, a Frenchman she met at James’ engagement party. To distra
Georgiann Hennelly
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Agatha Raisin is unlucky in love, yet she,s hopelessly romantic. Her exhusband James Lacey is getting married to the beautiful Felicity Bross-Tilkington and it fills Agatha heart with dread. She reluntly takes time from from her successful detective agency to to attend the wedding. Even though she has her sights set on a new man handsome beguiling French man Sylvan. But when the bride is shot and killed moments before the wedding. And Agatha is named the prime suspect . Toni stands ready to help ...more
Tiffunee
Agatha Raisin is unlucky in love, yet she’s hopelessly romantic. Her ex-husband James Lacey is getting married to the beautiful Felicity Bross-Tilkington and it fills Agatha heart with dread. She reliantly takes time from her successful detective agency to attend the wedding.

Even though she has her sights set on a new man handsome beguiling French man Sylvan. But when the bride is shot and killed moments before the wedding. And Agatha is named the prime suspect.

This is the 1st book I've read i
Linda
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the Agatha Raisin series! What a hoot. Mean-spirited Agatha isn't happy when her ex-husband, James, is about to marry a beautiful young heiress, but she certainly isn't the one who shot the bride before she could say, "I do." However, Agatha is the main suspect. Once again Agatha and her detective agency bumble their way through the investigation to find the killer. M.C. Beaton has wonderfully drawn characters.
Bea Anita
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Agatha Raisin is my favorite fictional fifty-something, she reminds me I'm not alone in this world of sore bones, sagging skin, and the lust for adventure. M.C. Beaton never fails me when I'm in need of a light read. I hope she has a storehouse of Agatha Raisins and Hamish MacBeths waiting to emerge.
Blue
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A sweet murder(s) mystery. In some what's choppy transitions, and unlikely coincidences, but I gave it four stars because it is entertaining and fun, and to have a cozy book to read when life is a bit stressful is fully worth four stars.
Linette
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I love Agatha Raisin and continue to read these because of her, the stories have become somewhat formulaic and shallow, rushing through entire relationships beginning to end sometimes in a few pages.
Angela
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
excellent. truly good stuff
Mavis Hewitt
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
I consider this series light reading, slightly predictable and far fetched, don't think the later books in the series are as good as the earlier ones.
Jacula
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 20 in the Agatha series and eagerly awaiting by me, my Mum and her neighbour. Light reading, as is the entire series, but enjoyable. Read it in a matter of hours.
Paula
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I had not read an Agatha Raisin book in awhile. I don't think this one was as good as some I have read, but it was a highly enjoyable read. Agatha rarely disappoints!
Annie
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must confess that I'm liking James a bit more, though I'm getting tired of the way Ms. Beaton is handling Toni.
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Scandal Takes a Holiday (Marcus Didius Falco, #16)
  • Wicked Witch Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #16)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)
  • The Nightingale Before Christmas (Meg Langslow, #18)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • Highland Laddie Gone (Elizabeth MacPherson, #3)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • English Country House Murders
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)