Start by marking “Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)” as Want to Read:
Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)

Halt's Peril

(Ranger's Apprentice #9)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  46,823 ratings  ·  1,240 reviews
The renegade outlaw group known as the Outsiders has journeyed from kingdom to kingdom, conning the innocent out of their few valuables. Will and Halt, his mentor, are ambushed by the cult's deadly assassins when Halt is pierced by a poisoned arrow. Now Will must travel day and night in search of the one person with the power to cure Halt: Malkallam the Sorcerer.
Published November 2nd 2009 by Random House Australia (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Halt's Peril, please sign up.
Jenna Yes! Totally read the books in order. They all flow together, so if you start in the middle, it will not make sense. Also, the author uses a lot of fl…moreYes! Totally read the books in order. They all flow together, so if you start in the middle, it will not make sense. Also, the author uses a lot of flash backs from recent books.(less)

·  46,823 ratings  ·  1,240 reviews

Start your review of Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice #9), John Flanagan

Halt's Peril is the ninth book in the international best-selling Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. It was released on 2 November 2009 in Australia.

Halt and Will (both legendary Rangers) and the knight Horace discover that Tennyson, the leader of the Outsiders cult, and his followers have fled to Picta, a country to the north of Araluen.

They discover where the Outsiders went from a smuggler named Black O'Malley. The three follow thei
Mark Soone
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love everything Flanagan has done with this series. I am so disappointed only by the fact that I only have 1 book left + the lost stories. I have already put book one of his outcast series on hold for my kindle and am deperately waiting for it to come in.

This series has a perfect blend of action, plot development, character development, dialouge and depth of relationships....basically everything one could want in a fantasy series. In this edition Halt, Will & Horace pick up the chase that
Mara
I have put off writing this review as long as I can. No, I haven't put it off because I have such dreadful things to say about it; I put it off so that I may think of what to say about it. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything in Halt's Peril to excite particular interest in a positive or negative way.

It is a good installment, and fairly suspensful, though its ending is easy to guess. Mr. Flanagan isn't an Author who allows permanent evil to befall main characters. Like all of the books, hi
Kathleen
Will, Horace, and Halt travel from Hibernia to Picta to Araluen, chasing down a band of murderous wolves in sheep's clothing. They must destroy this treacherous cult once and for all, but contending with ice-cold assassins (Sicilian-style) nearly costs them everything, as the title suggests. (Chillingly vivid portrayals of Genovesan assassins at work).

Another fast-paced and somewhat heartwarming tale of courage, strategy, and friendship. It was nice to see some old friends from a few prior books
Tricia Mingerink
As always, this is Ranger's Apprentice. Love it. :)
Marjolein
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

3.5 Stars

There is something I need to address here. The naming of the books in this just awful and they often spoil the main part of the book. As you might have guessed, in this work Halt will be in danger. Certainly didn't see that coming?!

However, not considering the awful spoiler in the title, I quite liked this ninth book in the series. It takes things rather slow as they try to keep up with the Outsiders. Still, there is rather a l
Trevor Pence
I really did like this book. I feel as though the book never truly adds anything new to the table, plot wise. I have also seen reviews bashing the book for just that. However this wasn't a book intended to add anything new. It was intended to tie up the current story arc. Clearing the stage for the next act, if
you will. Halt's Peril wasn't great at adding new elements into the mix of Ranger's Apprentice, but it stirs the pot of characters a little. Will and Alyss's relationship is hinted at in
Evgenia Netrebkova
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Summer
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely one of my favourites in the series.
rachel ☾
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, fantasy

The Ranger's Apprentice series is quickly becoming one of my all-time favourite series. It has everything I love in a series: fantastic characters, great storylines that never get repetitive, an impressive range of settings and it has always given me that wonderful feeling of needing moreimmediately after finishing. I never want the stories to end.

That being said, I didn't think Halt's Peril was the best book of the series so far. I enjoyed seeing the story of the last book get wrapped
Cordelianne
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The middle of this book dragged on a lot, because you already expects how it will end, but it does not happen and the ending felt too easy. I still really liked the relationships between the characters. Horace and Will are definitely friendship goals!
Ann Withers [jo]
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my precious halt😭😭😭😭
Anna {I'm trapped in myself}
👏👏👏👏👏

Mr. Flanagan really knows what he's doing when he sits down with a pen. Every time I read this, I get freaked out for Halt and then Will and I'm just like *yaaaaahhh!!*

Content:
Language: Same old stuff--dam*s, hel*s, taking God's name in vain a few times.
Sexy Stuff/Romance--some kisses.
Violence--crossbow/longbow fights, characters get shot, one almost gets strangled to death, the occasional fight here and there with some deaths.
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I simply cannot even.

Update: Page 201 features a meaningful bro hug

And I still cannot even.
Loretta Marchize
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was kind of emotional, and a good one. I'm proud of Will and Horace.
Johanna
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm closing in on the end of the series … or at least the so far published books.
This one I enjoyed a bit more again than the last books. The character interactions were more fun and there wasn't any problematic depiction of different people (that's always a relief).
I still think Flanagan doesn't write female characters well (or at all in this book) and he sucks at romantic relationships since I'm still not sure where they all came from. But well. This one was really quick and mostly fun without
Virginia Henderson
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not the type of person who cries over books or characters dying. The first time I read this, I cried. This time, I was still close to tears. I think that said, is enough.
Keilani Ludlow
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
From this point forward in the series, I am just cutting and pasting my previous info with a separate paragraph at the bottom specific to this particular book in the series.

If you check out my other 4 stars, you'll see that there is some stiff competition and I don't hand it out lightly. If you are really into Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, etc. you may find these a little bit light. However, as I stated above, they grow, and I really enjoy that they are totally enthralling but at the same ti
Library Lady
While I did like this book, it wasn't as good as the others in the series. The bantering between Halt, Horace, and Will was great, and I loved the action sequences, but the plot seemed a little disjointed. Actually, in form and tone this book reminded me quite a lot of the third book in the series, which is the one that I remember the most clearly. (I think this is because it was that book that made me realize how much I loved the series since I was so worried and heart-sick over Will!)

I also li
Smaug the Unmerciful Editor
To John Flanagan's credit: this book is amazingly 99% clean. I mean, how many of those do you find in the YA shelves? Pretty much none! So good for John for making a clean YA (even though his books are pretty goofy).

I can't really complain about the prose. What's there to say? It's fine. Not great, not bad. But the characters, OH the CHARACTERS! Another example of John's stereotypical brains-vs-brawn! All the big, burly warriors are the dull-witted thugs who LITERALLY say "I'll leave the thinkin
Caleb P
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Has someone really important to you ever been in a lot of trouble and you couldn't do any thing? In Rangers Apprentice Halt's Peril book 9 by John Flanagan: Halt, Will, and Horace(men fighting for the king) Halt is a quiet ranger who can move around without being seen using a cloak. Will is a new ranger who looks up to halt like a father and tries hard to please him. Horace is a broad shouldered knight who is a experienced sword fighter who looks to Halt and Will as family. They are chasing a gr ...more
David
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
Halt, Horace and Will are on the trail of Tennyson & his followers. The false prophet of the Outsider cult escaped justice for his crimes in Clonmel, & Halt is determined to stop him before he crosses the border into Araluen. Will has defeated one of Tennyson's Genovesan assassins in Clonmel -but there are two left alive. Are the extraordinary archery skills of Will and Halt enough to save them during a duel with the Genovesans . . . or is Will's mentor facing his last battle?(less)

Halt's Peril
Debby
Oct 17, 2010 rated it liked it
The Ranger's Apprentice series has been one of my favorites as I've watched the characters develop and when it arrived in at school on Friday, I grabbed it for my weekend read. While Halt's Peril was a good read, I feel that book 8, The Kings of Clonmel and Halt's Peril could have been combined into one tighter story. Readers already know that Rangers are skilled at concealment and very intelligent, that Horace is a dependable friend and knight. 150 pages passed before the plot advanced. Still w ...more
Kimberley doruyter
this one was suspenceful, you think for most of the book that he is going to die.
so this one makes up for the last one again.
10 books in to the series and there are only 2 books that had less then 4 stars.
i will be reading the last 2 and this series will be one of my favas from now on.
Colin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As clever, witty, and suspenseful as the rest of the series.
Rusty
This is a delightful series and even though this is the ninth book I still enjoyed it very much. The characters are strong, funny at times, loyal to their friends and always brave but rarely foolhardy. In this episode Halt is injured when an enemy shoots a crossbow at him. Even though it appears to be only a scratch the injury fails to heal, becomes infected and Halt's personality begins to change. He becomes confused, collapses, sleeps a great deal and often raves when he is awake. He appears t ...more
Julianne
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, 2020
This picks up right where Kings of Clonmel left off, with our favorite three adventurers in pursuit of Tennyson.
It was much more rooted in suspense than it was adventure. Most of the time was spent tracking Tennyson or dealing with poisoning of Halt.

The resident Sorcerer of the North makes an appearance and he's a great addition to the trio, adding a mystical intelligence aspect alongside our cunning rangers and unbeatable warrior.

I enjoyed how the team finally took down Tennyson. I'm just not
Lila Kims
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable installment to the Ranger's Apprentice!! It moved slow at times, and I have my peeves with Flanagan's writing style, but this was a good book! The twist on Halt shocked me (in a good way!), bringing Malcolm back into the picture was a lot of fun, and Will's gift at the end was so sweet. The climax blew me away, as always, and the wrap-up ending... ALL THE FEELS.

However, two people I know told me that books 10 and 11 are boring. What do you guys say to that?
Bailey Marissa
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story arc finished on a high note and so I actually enjoyed the story. Will and Horace play a big part, Hart learns to take a back seat while still being awesome, and we get a character from a while back to come and be awesome.

Recommended 12+ for mild language, mild romance at the end, scary situations, death, violence/torture, and a cult leader.
booklover311921
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great continuum of the Ranger's Apprentice series. Tense, mystical, but with Flanagan (and Halt's!) traditionally dry sarcasm/humor (even though Halt claims that sarcasm isn't wit at all). Definitely a wonderful addition to this world renowned series.

• Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)
  • Fall of Heroes (The Cloak Society, #3)
  • Golgelerin Efendisi 12 : Son Orman Muhafizi
  • Kardeslik Savascilari 2 - Isgalciler
  • Kardeslik Savascilari 3 - Avcilar
  • Kardeslik Savascilari 4 - Socorro Köleleri
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • The Way of the Dragon (Young Samurai, #3)
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • Crystal Keepers (Five Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)
  • The Rogue Knight (Five Kingdoms, #2)
  • Villains Rising (The Cloak Society, #2)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)

News & Interviews

“Does it matter?" Halt asked.
Horace shrugged. "Not really, I suppose. I just wondered why you'd gone to the kitchen and why you took the trouble to remain unseen. Were you hiding from Master Chubb yourself? And Will just turned up by coincidence?"
"And why would I be hiding from Master Chubb in his own kitchen?" Halt challenged. Again. Horace shrugged innocently.
"Well,there was a tray of freshly made pies airing on the windowsill, wasn't there? And you're quite fond of pies, aren't you, Halt?"
Halt drew himself up very straight in the saddle. "Are you accusing me of sneaking into that kitchen to steal the pies for myself? Is that it?"
His voice and body language simply reeked of injured dignity.
"Of course not, Halt!" Horace hurried to assure him, and Halt's stiff-shouldered form relaxed a little.
"I just thought I'd give you the opportunity to confess," Horace added. This time, Malcolm couldn't conceal his sudden explosion of laughter. Halt gave them both a withering glance.
"You know, Horace," he said at length, "you used to be a most agreeable young man. Whatever happened to you?"
Horace turned a wide grin on him. "I've spent too much time around you, I suppose," he said.
And Halt had to admit that was probably true.”
197 likes
“Halt regarded him. He loved Horace like a younger brother. Even like a second son, after Will. He admired his skill with a sword and his courage in battle. But sometimes, just sometimes, he felt an overwhelming desire to ram the young warrior's head against a convenient tree.
"You have no sense of drama or symbolism, do you?" he asked.
"Huh?" replied Horace, not quite understanding. Halt looked around for a convenient tree. Luckily for Horace, there were none in sight.”
182 likes