Start by marking “Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)” as Want to Read:
Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)

Flight, Vol. 6

Justin Ridge
Rad Sechrist
Kean Soo

Published July 21st 2009 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about Flight, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight, Vol. 6

karen
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
i liked this one a lot more than the last few volumes. although they have largely dispensed with the concept of flight as a unifying theme, its still great to get little snippets of illustrators i may not have come across. plus - more jellaby!and a mushroom quiche recipe! who could ask for more from a graphic novel anthology??
Sesana
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, comics, short-stories
Yet another Flight anthology filled with great art and writing of a slightly lower quality overall. I loved almost all of the art here, but not nearly as much of the writing. But that's what you get in an anthology, and this one at least is uniformly nice to look at.
Blake
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love comics, and I love short stories, so this is a perfect pairing to me.
Kaleb Lukowicz
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful in the absolute sense of the word. (Full. Of. Wonder.).
This was/is my introduction into the ecclectic volumes of comics edited by Kazu Kibuishi.
Essentially short stories with astoundingly fantabulous art.

Reading this was nothing short of magic. And I can't think of any other way to review this than by going through each and every story.

First one is called "The Saga of Rex: Soulmates"
A good start. Solid art. No dialogue. (Perfect for me).
I'm too dumb to totally 'get' the ending. I hav
Karissa
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the 6th book in the Flight series and I think it was one of the weakest volumes in this anthology series. Volumes 4 and 5 were absolutely spectacular and this one was a bit shorter and the content wasn’t as high quality.

Some of my favorites were: The Saga of Rex: Soulmates and Daisy Kutter: Phantoms. There were a couple other good stories as well but the majority of the stories were pretty lackluster.

You can see down below for a list of the stories in here and comments on them.

Overall
Soobie can't sleep at night
Well, for an anthology of short comics this was quite good!

The Saga of Rex: Soulmates by Michel Gagné : ★★★
Love the art (I'm so good read The Saga of Rex as soon as possible. I'm a bit confused about the story, though.

The Excitingly Mundane life of Kenneth Shuri by JP Ahonen: ★★★
A ninja with a degree is unemployed and is looking for work. Well, the story was fun (something I can easily relate to) and the ending was perfect. Not a big fan of the art.

Daisy Kutter: Phantoms by Kazu Kibuishi: ★★★
I
Nathan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Highlights of this volume are:
“The Excitingly Mundane Life of Kenneth Shuri” it takes a humorous and analogous approach to working in art/design field through the lens of a ninja. I enjoyed the visual style and the story.

“Daisy Kutter: Phantoms” the story was straightforward, not amazing, but there were some really interesting and subtle layout decisions for telling the story.

“Cooking Duel” cute story.
Rebekah
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Again, these volumes never disappoint. This particular volume felt a little light on really memorable comics and artists, but I was introduced to Kibuishi's Daisy Kutter character, of whom I had heard but never read. I'm a big fan of Kibuishi's work, including the Flight volumes and Amulet series, and it turns out Miss Kutter is no exception.
Emery
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's hard to rate something that has such a wide gap and range of talent. Some of the stories are awful. Some are brilliant. And some -most- are meh or solid. But, the pieces here are overall solid, so it gets a good 4 stars.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Good volume.
TheTinFoilHatter
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm rather harsh on this series. The truth is, I immensely respect Kazu Kibushi for putting these artists out there, and he's responsible for one of my favourite comic series of all time. But like Explorer, I feel that every one of these talented artists has a script that falls short of the art that's meant to carry it.
Amy
Feb 22, 2017 added it
Fun for what it is. Don't expect drawn out characters or complete stories. You have to read all the Flight novels to get the stories.
Tung
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Image Comics is one of the largest comic book publishers in the world. They made moves into online comics far ahead of the establishment publishers DC and Marvel. Image supports a legion of young professional and non-professional cartoonists. In 2004, they published their first anthology of these cartoonists’ creative efforts (Flight, Volume One). Volume Six continues the showcasing of young graphic talent. The tales told in these works span the entire spectrum of contemporary comic stylings fro ...more
Astrid Terese
Jeg har selvfølgelig favoritter blant alle de ulike tegneserieskaperne og tegneseriene i denne samlingen og den første er Rex. En liten rev som må klare seg gjennom ulike farer og som får uventet hjelp. Rex er reven i tegneserien «Inner Sanctum», «Underworld» og «The saga of Rex» av Michel Gagne (volume 3 og utover) og historien utvikler seg videre i samlingen.
Flight blir redigert av Kazu Kibuishi, en amerikansk tegneserieforfatter og illustratør. Kibuishi sier at Flight ikke er en tematisk ant
Rick
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, anthologies
My first introduction to this extraordinary anthology series, the 15 stories in Flight Volume Six offer creators from around world employing a variety of genres: fantasy, science fiction, westerns, and slice-of-life ranging from serious to whimsical. Every beautiful story in this impressive book delights, but several stand out. Michel Gagné's charming story "The Saga of Rex: Soulmates" tells the silent tale of two cat-like creatures and their interplanetary love. In "The Excitingly Mundane Life ...more
Steve
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Not up to the same level of quality of previous outings in the anthology series, but still quite good. The best work here includes the stories containing characters that have spun off into their own series (Daisy Kutter, Jellaby) so it's a bit confusing why they continue to be included in the anthology. Perhaps they should be removed to make room for other stories? But at the same time, if these stories are among the best, replacing them might mean a decrease in quality in future outings. Also t ...more
J.T.
Flight is always a pleasure to read. Storyboard and advertising artists rarely have the opportunity to display their sequential storytelling talents in print.
Aside from the Saga of Rex, I enjoyed reading all of these unique and colorful stories. Many are lighthearted, but among them are dark and serious stories, such as Dead At Noon and the Daisy Kutter segment. And then there are the plain dumb comics ("The Zs and the Attack of the Early Bird", "Fish 'n' Chips", etc.) which cost this volume a
Wayne
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Flight volumes are always my favorite anthologies, every single year or so. The colors are so rich, vibrant and bright. In my book, that's a good thing. For the Eisners, the recommended story was" Kidnapped " Nice, beautiful wordless story. Very good. 4 stars. The other one that really stood out for me was "The Saga of Rex : Soulmates " It's also a wordless, beautiful story. 4 stars. All in all a nice volume not quite as good as the last one, but much better than any other currently offered regu ...more
Iggy D.
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Graphic Novel and Short Story lovers
This volume of Flight is as gorgeous as all the others, but it's the first volume after Flight Explorer was created, so some of the regulars like Egyptian Cat and Space Dog have been moved to that collection and don't appear here . . . which makes me kinda sad. I really liked some of the more child-friendly stories (except Cat and Fish, I didn't like Cat and Fish at all), though I also enjoy the more mature material still contained here.
Chris
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
While volume five may have been the best in stories, this one has the best artwork to date. Some of these are nothing short of jaw-dropping. Very fast read compared to the others though, more wordless tales. However, their are some gems here, especially JP Ahonen's story, and Graham Annable's. Excellent stuff.
Louisa
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
A good collection of short comics with good art and polished stories across the board. My favourite from this collection were "the Excitingly Mundane Life of Kenneth Shuri" by JP Ahonen - funny and entertaining; "Daisy Kutter 'Phantoms'" by Kazu Kibuishi - cool noir/western feel; and "Walters" by Cory Godberg had beautiful art.
J.E. Remy
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall, this collection had some of the best stories I've read in this series. Unfortunately, it also had some of the worst (and one of the most sexist). I'd recommend picking it up, but don't hesitate to skip a story if it starts in such a way that it seems like it will disappoint. If it starts that way, it will likely end that way.
Engel Dreizehn
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing "flight" into the imagination spending different genres and art styles...my favorites include the final part of Saga of Rex arc, a surrealist balloon ride and a misfit viking ending up/finding his place in North America.
Tricia
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Liked some stories, didn't like others. I now know that I don't care for ones without dialogue. Also, though I don't normally like short stories, apparently graphic novel short stories I can handle. Will probably read some more in this series.
Emily
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
I really like this series of graphic novels - really a story collection however. Kazu Kibuishi has made a name for himself (at least with me!) through his art. I will seek out other editions in this series!
Damon
Oct 13, 2009 rated it liked it
More longer stories in this volume, with no really strong standouts, though there's a Graham Annable and a Kazu Kibuishi. This is still one of the best-produced anthologies currently in print, though.
Katie
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great compilation from many of the same authors. If you're into quirky, unique, and wonderful short stories, then pick one of these volumes up. I'd suggest starting with Vol 1, as some of the stories are continued from book to book.
Matt
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This volume seemed to capitalize on the wordless story more than earlier volumes, which was a refreshing departure. Also, several new stories (rather than serialized content) were added which balanced well with the few serialized stories.
Elizabeth
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Really a 4.5 because the last three stories weren't as spectacular as the rest. I'm glad I stumbled upon this series. I will be reading 1-5. I loved the first 5 or 6 stories in this book, including Dead at Noon. Great anthology.
Craig
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Another good entry in a really interesting series. Some humorous and thoughtful entries this time around, though I don't personally feel that this volume quite lives up to some of the others I've read.

• Saturn Apartments, Vol. 3 (Saturn Apartments #3)
  • Koko Be Good
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • Echo: Collider (Echo, #4)
  • Rice Boy
  • Ichiro
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Creature Tech
  • Inverloch Vol 1
  • The Saga of Rex
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 6: Circles  (Usagi Yojimbo, #6)
  • Chickenhare (Chickenhare, #1)
  • So Smart in Their Fine Uniforms (Arrowsmith, Book 1)
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales (Owly, #5)
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more

Flight (8 books)
  • Flight, Vol. 1 (Flight, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 2  (Flight, #2)
  • Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight, #3)
  • Flight, Vol. 4 (Flight, #4)
  • Flight, Vol. 5 (Flight, #5)
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Six Scary Stories
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Rite of Passage
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)