Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 22” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 22

The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 22 (The Year's Best Science Fiction #26)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  492 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
This volume presents a collection of science fiction stories. It includes stories by the bright young talents of science fiction, as well as a host of established masters. The usual thorough summation of the year and recommended reading lists are also included.

xiii • Summation: 2008 • (2009) • essay by Gardner Dozois
1 • Turing's Apples • (2008) • short story by Stephen
Published September 10th 2009 by Constable & Robinson Ltd (first published October 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 22, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 22

Miriam
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is generally the case with this type of anthology, I didn't read every story. I cherry-picked a few authors I usually like, then read some additional stories because they happened to come after a story I had finished and have a good opening, picked a few to try by title.

Stephen Baxter "Turing's Apples" -- Interesting, but the story got buried under description and world-building. I could say the same about quite a few of the entries, I have to admit. I would not, in general, recommend this vo
Cathy
I'm making my way through the author's Xuya stories, the chronology can be found on her website. This is the fourth one by my count. It's another mystery, who's main character is an Xuyan immigrant from Mexica (that's not a typo, that's the spelling of people from the country in the approximate location of our Mexico) after the terrible civil war there many years ago. They came when she was twelve. She's the first Mexica to become a Magister, or police detective, in the very insular Xuyan commun ...more
osoi
По мере прочтения буду записывать свои впечатления; возможны спойлеры. Общий счет: 16/30

Йен Макдональд. Слеза / Ian McDonald. The Tear 5/5
(view spoiler)
Kyle Aisteach
There's a fundamental problem with publishing something under the title of "Year's Best," which is that "best" is one of those words that's completely subjective. As you read a collection that is supposed to be the best of the year, when you inevitably hit a story you don't care for, you find yourself saying, "Really? This is the best that 2008 had to offer?" And when you notice that stories you read that year and really, really loved aren't included, you feel like there's been a slight. (And th ...more
Brice
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely Read (5 stars):
Shining Armour | Dominic Green - Old man, exercises, city defense
The Ray-Gun: A Love Story | James Alan Gardner - Best opening I've read in a long long time. Warning: Talks about sex (not explicitly). Sags a tiny bit in the middle. Makes up for it overall.

Probably Read (4 stars):
An Eligible Boy | Ian McDonald - Indian Dating
Balancing Accounts | James L. Cambias - Robot Special Delivery
Special Economics | Maureen F. McHugh - Pesky capitalism
Days of Wonder | Geoff Byman
Paige
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: specfic
I finally finished this, despite having bought it four and a half years ago.

There were some good gems, some of which I hadn't even read/heard about (I'd never have picked up Paul McAuley on my own, but found myself enjoying his Jackaroo 'verse in 'City of the Dead'). Sadly, the table of contents is blindingly white--Aliette de Bodard is the only POC--though there are far more women in this edition (eight out of thirty stories) than previous Dozois collections I've read.

Of those, I find it a litt
Lord Humungus

My favorites were Rosenblum's "The Egg Man", and "Lester Young and the Jupiter's Moons' Blues" by Gord Sellar, the latter comparable to Howard Waldrop at his best. There were several other entertaining and inspiring stories. These included works by Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, Dominic Green, Karl Schroeder, Paul McAuley, an entertaining noir diversion by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, a very human story by Kress, and a tight little whodunnit by Aleitte de Bodard. Even if the best stories weren't the best
Erin (PT)
One of de Bodard's Xuya stories; this one takes place in Xuya, but the cast is largely Mexican. Like "The Lost Xuyan Bride", this is a rather noirish feeling mystery, something that reminds me, very tangentially, of William Gibson or Phillip K Dick; that futuristic griminess and texture, but also the joy (for the reader) in discovering this beautifully constructed, real-feeling world.

Like the other Xuya stories, there's a starkly drawn theme of half-ness; people caught painfully between societie
Kersplebedeb
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linus Williams
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only way to review the collection is to review each of the individual stories, so here I go:

1) Turing's Apples, by Stephen Baxter. I normally enjoy Baxter's work, but this one misses the mark, a bit. 6/10 and an inauspicious start

2) From Babel's Fall'n glory we fled, by Michael Swanwick. A well-written, impressive, story about the survival of an alien culture in the face of internecine wars. 8/10

3) The Gambler, by Paolo Bacigalupi. The first really hard-hitting, impactful, story in the set.
Michael
I found this collection while tracking down Butterfly, Falling at Dawn, which is one of the stories in Aliette de Bodard's Xuya Universe, and the penultimate story included here. This collection, and Gardner R. Dozois in particular, are evidently highly praised in the sci-fi community, but this will be my first edited by M. Dozois. I've been enjoying science fiction stories in various magazines and online blogs lately, and this seemed like a good chance to read a collection and compare notes on ...more
Benj
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A good collection - some of them I loved, others did nothing for me.

For short stories, most of them were quite long. I felt that some of them would have been improved by paring them down, whilst others had enough ideas in them to fill a complete book.
Ariel
There are 35 books in this particular series. I've read three and intend to read the rest.
Mike Ehlers
James
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every single one of these collections is essential reading for true fans of science fiction short stories... each lengthy volume has a stellar array of all mini-genres and areas of powerfully influential science fiction: hard science, speculative, steampunk, alien invasions, apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic, space opera, fantasy, aliens, monsters, horror-ish, space travel, time travel, eco-science, evolutionary, pre-historic, parallel universes, extraterrestrials... in each successive volume in the ...more
Douglas Summers-Stay
My favorite story from this collection was "N-Words" by Ted Kosmatka. It's another take on "The Ugly Little Boy," except in this case the Neandertal children aren't swarthy and brutish-- "they had spent ten times longer in light-starved Northern Europe than a typical Swede's ancestors" and their brains were larger than modern humans, so they were smart and sensitive, as well as ultra-strong. But they were more calorie-expensive than us, so they died out when hard times came. Basically Betamax to ...more
Paulo Vinicius Figueiredo dos Santos
Um ano lendo essa coletânea. Nem acredito que eu terminei.

Por que eu não dei 5 estrelas? Simples... em coletâneas de contos sempre vai haver algum que eu não vou gostar ou vou achar bobo. Mesmo sendo uma coletânea com os melhores contos de um ano específico. São os melhores para o editor específico, talvez não para mim.
Mas, tem muita coisa boa nesta coletânea. Destaques vão para os contos do Greg Egan, da Aliette de Bodard, do Paul McAuley.
O meu blog, o Ficções Humanas, fez uma resenha de cada
Erik
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my taste, winners include Turing's Apples, Ray Gun (best), N-words (second best), I also like the "Political Prisoner" for its grim evocation of a theocratic police state. I liked the "Lester Young" story too, even though it was raw and unpolished. It had some interesting ideas and mood setting. Not a great ending. Anyway it's important that stories like that see the light. There are too many polished science fiction writers out there with small ideas. If I want that I'll read the New Yorker ...more
Paul
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
About half of the stories in this anthology are quality SF. I like SF that leans toward hard or at least has some elements of technology, evolved or alien beings, or interesting concepts. I especially liked Five Thrillers by Robert Reed, Balancing Accounts by James L. Cambias, The Ray Gun: A Love Story by James Alan Gardner, Boojum by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette, and at least five others. The remaining stories were either boring, poorly written, or both. Four stars could be a little bit gen ...more
Matthew
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another cracking collection. I buy these every year, and while individual stories may not always be my cup of tea, there's always loads I like.
There are two stories by Ian McDonald, one of my favourite authors, one which I had already read in Cyberabad Days, another which was new. There are plenty of other great stories, and no story is too long. It's ideal for long journeys as you won't get bored!
Jesse
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2008 edition of the best annual SF anthology around. Good stories by Kress, Finlay, Gardner, Reynolds and McDonald, among others As I lose contact with the world of short SF, Dozois's anthology is still worth the time, and at more than 600 pages of trade paperback small print, worth the money as well.
Nancy
The 600+ pages of this book have something for every reader in the sci-fi/fantasy genre. While I don't remember which story led me to this collection, I enjoyed most of it, skimming over only a few stories that didn't grab me. These anthologies are a good way to discover new writers, and there are some that I will definitely be on the lookout for.
Mike S
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
This is the 2nd book in this collection that I've read and I just love the stories they collect. I didn't like all of them, but I liked most of them, and there were several good ones and one or two that I'd call really good. If you like science fiction and are on the search for great stories, or new authors, you won't be disappointed.
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i didn't love every story, but i certainly enjoyed many more than i disliked. i originally was interested in this collection for the hannu rajemini story after hearing it on escape pod. it remains one of my favorite short stories. only real downside is this was not something i ever wanted to carry on the subway due to it's size, so it took quite a while to get through just reading at home.
Tamahome
Actually listened to Hannu Rajaniemi's His Master's Voice on Escape Pod, but it's in this book too:

Tech enhanced dog & cat. Interesting but confusing. Reminded me of Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely's gorgeous but violent WE3 comic.
Andy
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any SF fan.
Best SF22 follows on in the footsteps of the 21 previous volumes, and again shows the huge breadth and depth of the SF field.

SF21 reignited my hunger for short SF fiction, and this continues to feed that hunger.
Paul Brown
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Usually I give them 5 stars as each volume is great.
However I could not finish the last story by Ian Mcdonald - The Tear.
It was brutally boring. All the other stories in the book were good.
Streator Johnson
Well, another one down. As anyone who has reviewed my reviews knows, I consider this series to be THE exemplary Sci-fi annual short story collection. And now I am one less year behind. HIghly recommended to all.
Wizzard
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "The Political Prisoner" by Charles Coleman Finlay, "The Ray-Gun a love story" by James Alan Gardner and "The Tear" by Ian McDonald are three of the most awesomest and favorite short stories I have read.
Ken
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stories that stood out and should satify the harhest critics out there or if you dont have the time to read the entire book which is rather lengthy. they are:

- the monkey short story
- the erdmann nexus
  • Masked
  • The Dragon Done It
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner Dozois

More about Gardner Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Tenth Annual Collection

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“You look at your child's face, and you don't wonder whose side you're on. You know. That side.” 0 likes
“And is that what you’d wish for him, to have an easy life?"
"Isn't that what every parent wishes for?"
"No," I said. I touched my own stomach. I put my small hand over his large one. "I hope our son grows to be a good man.”
0 likes