Start by marking “The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories

The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  10 reviews
For the first time on CD! Vintage Stephen King at a great low price!

Stephen King's unparalleled imagination is in full force in this collection of four unabridged short stories originally found in the classic, Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Stephen King and an all-star cast of readers bring to life these timeless stories from the darkest places.

Mysterious machinery
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 30th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories

Tom Mueller
These shorts (along with many others) were originally anthologized in "Nightmares & Dreamscapes".
These stories are classic Stephen King, which is to say they cannot be simply labelled under one genre. Not even close for Sai King. The reader will go from the nearly pure SciFi work of "The House on Maple Street" to the surreal detective story with a twist in "Umney's Last Case". The latter brings Word Processor of the Gods to mind. With more twists than a bag of pretzels, this one will surely
Carolin
As in Chattery Teeth, and Other Stories I liked the first story best :) It was vivid, creepy and I especially liked the SciFi elements. The next one didn't fit my taste so much and the non-fiction part of the CD was quite boring in my opinion (I'm not so much into sports, or better not so much into talking about/watching sports + baseball isn't very famous over here in Germany, so I have to admit that I was quite unfamiliar with the rules).

It was nice to hear Stephen King reading it, though. Hi
Amy Sherman
This was a re-read, but I barely remember reading these stories years ago. I am reminded that I enjoy Stephen King's full length novels better than short stories, as the stories feel incomplete to me. The House on Maple Street was enjoyable, but I wanted to know more.
Debra Daniels-zeller
I got this book because I'd read Carrie and Thinner long ago and liked them. But when I get a book in the horror category, I expect to be scared or at least on edge, but none of these stories are scary. In fact, the story or "essay" about baseball that was published in the New York Times was so boring, I had to skip most of it because I was at risk of falling asleep while driving. I'd expected at least a few surprises but most of the book was a sleeper. The second story about a private eye was i ...more
Angela
The House on Maple Street - read by Tabitha King - I like the stories where the kids get to save the day, so yeah, I liked this one. I would like to know where Lou ended up though.

Umney's Last Case - read by Robert Parker - I think this was one I listened to with my original collection of audio cassettes. I like this idea of escaping into your story, for real. You just have to be careful whose place you take.

Head Down - read by Stephen King - this is an essay, not a fiction story. Although I am
Tim Tupper
I could not even get into the audio book because the readers sounded monotone. It was a real unpleasant experience. I guess I will get the book from the library and read it instead.
Kristen Mellott
Was not happy with this book. If you are looking for traditional Stephen King stories, don't bother with this. 3 out of 5 are non-fictional stories about baseball!
Bunny
I didn't listen to the entire thing. I listened to the first two stories, but the last two are nonfiction. No offense to Mr King, but I'm a fan of his fiction, not his nonfiction.

These aren't two of my favorite stories. These are two stories I could honestly care less about. Tabitha King doesn't have a bad voice, but she has a Maine accent, and as a Southernor, that RIPS ON MY NERVES like you couldn't believe. The gentleman who read "Umney's Last Case" wasn't bad, but his voice was rather boring
Becky
Its the audiobook version of a few of Stephen King's short stories from Nightmares and Dreamscapes, which is one of my favorite King books.
Theresa
The first story was great. the rest were just o.k.
Staci
Staci is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2015
Susan Pethtal
Susan Pethtal marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Mindy Schroen
Mindy Schroen marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Succubi
Succubi marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Dash Crowley
Dash Crowley marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Genevieve Pinelli
Genevieve Pinelli marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
tina marie stockert
tina marie stockert marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
john
john marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Suzanne LeClair
Suzanne LeClair marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Lory Mannuzza
Lory Mannuzza marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Snef Snef
Snef Snef marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • Night Visions 5
  • Transgressions: Volume 2
  • Dead Lines
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 3)
  • Clive Barker’s Hellraiser Vol. 3
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • The Best of Cemetery Dance, Volume 1
  • Best New Horror (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Best Of)
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • McSweeney's #27
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Nightmare Movies: Horror on Screen Since the 1960s
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Granta 117 : Horror
  • Blackburn
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie