Start by marking “The House on Maple Street: and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The House on Maple Street: and Other Stories

The House on Maple Street: and Other Stories

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Stephen King's unparalleled imagination is in full force in this collection of four unabridged short stories originally found in the classic, Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Stephen King and an all-star cast of readers bring to life these timeless stories from the darkest places.

Mysterious machinery begins to take over The House on Maple Street. A private detective finds o
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published June 30th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about The House on Maple Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Maple Street

Tom Mueller
These shorts (along with many others) were originally anthologized in "Nightmares & Dreamscapes".
These stories are classic Stephen King, which is to say they cannot be simply labelled under one genre. Not even close for Sai King. The reader will go from the nearly pure SciFi work of "The House on Maple Street" to the surreal detective story with a twist in "Umney's Last Case". The latter brings Word Processor of the Gods to mind. With more twists than a bag of pretzels, this one will surely
Carolin
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
As in Chattery Teeth, and Other Stories I liked the first story best :) It was vivid, creepy and I especially liked the SciFi elements. The next one didn't fit my taste so much and the non-fiction part of the CD was quite boring in my opinion (I'm not so much into sports, or better not so much into talking about/watching sports + baseball isn't very famous over here in Germany, so I have to admit that I was quite unfamiliar with the rules).

It was nice to hear Stephen King reading it, though. Hi
Angela
The House on Maple Street - read by Tabitha King - I like the stories where the kids get to save the day, so yeah, I liked this one. I would like to know where Lou ended up though.

Umney's Last Case - read by Robert Parker - I think this was one I listened to with my original collection of audio cassettes. I like this idea of escaping into your story, for real. You just have to be careful whose place you take.

Head Down - read by Stephen King - this is an essay, not a fiction story. Although I am
Debra Daniels-zeller
I got this book because I'd read Carrie and Thinner long ago and liked them. But when I get a book in the horror category, I expect to be scared or at least on edge, but none of these stories are scary. In fact, the story or "essay" about baseball that was published in the New York Times was so boring, I had to skip most of it because I was at risk of falling asleep while driving. I'd expected at least a few surprises but most of the book was a sleeper. The second story about a private eye was i ...more
Bunny
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I didn't listen to the entire thing. I listened to the first two stories, but the last two are nonfiction. No offense to Mr King, but I'm a fan of his fiction, not his nonfiction.

These aren't two of my favorite stories. These are two stories I could honestly care less about. Tabitha King doesn't have a bad voice, but she has a Maine accent, and as a Southernor, that RIPS ON MY NERVES like you couldn't believe. The gentleman who read "Umney's Last Case" wasn't bad, but his voice was rather boring
Janith Pathirage
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
A really good rainy day read. This story has a very good twist. Once again King doesn't explain the phenomena here, but that can be forgiven considering the originality of this tale. These Bradbury kids are not as evil as 'Children of the Corn', but they are indeed badass and not to be trifled with.
Amy Sherman
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a re-read, but I barely remember reading these stories years ago. I am reminded that I enjoy Stephen King's full length novels better than short stories, as the stories feel incomplete to me. The House on Maple Street was enjoyable, but I wanted to know more.
Kathryn Malm (super fangirl!)
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
had a few weird essays in it but the stories were classic king, very good! :)
Theresa
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
The first story was great. the rest were just o.k.
Kristen Mellott
Feb 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Was not happy with this book. If you are looking for traditional Stephen King stories, don't bother with this. 3 out of 5 are non-fictional stories about baseball!
E. Reyes
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-in-2015
I really enjoyed this story! I was rooting for the Bradbury kids the whole time. And never have I hated a character more than their step-dad! This whole story was surprising!
Becky
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Its the audiobook version of a few of Stephen King's short stories from Nightmares and Dreamscapes, which is one of my favorite King books.
Tim Tupper
Dec 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
I could not even get into the audio book because the readers sounded monotone. It was a real unpleasant experience. I guess I will get the book from the library and read it instead.
Damian
  • Night Visions 5
  • Dread
  • Dead Lines
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 3
  • The Ransome Women; The Things The Left Behind (Transgressions: Novellas 7 & 8)
  • Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King
  • Best New Horror (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Best Of)
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • The Best of Cemetery Dance, Volume 1
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Blackburn
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • McSweeney's #27
  • Nightmare Movies: Horror on Screen Since the 1960s
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
More about Stephen King...