Start by marking “Quest of the Three Worlds” as Want to Read:
Quest of the Three Worlds

Quest of the Three Worlds

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Gem Planet, the Storm Planet, the Sand Planet...one of these marvel worlds held the secret Casher O'Neill sought. Casher had wandered the inhabited the galaxy seeking justice, seeking the cosmic power that would enable him to return to his home world and overthrow its usurper. But in the search he found much more incredible among the stars than he had dreamed of.
This i
Mass Market Paperback, #F-402, 174 pages
Published 1966 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Quest of the Three Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quest of the Three Worlds

Brad
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I'm a sucker for dashing heroes on a quest of vengeance who wind up becoming superhuman, wipe peoples minds, and become gods. Oh yeah, and forget they're christian even though they secretly still are. I'm a sucker. :) Go Casher, go!
Lucas
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An under appreciated work of Fiction from a master of prose
Joe Santoro
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: soft_sf
I've liked Cordwainer Smith's stuff in the past, but this was definitely not one of his better works. A mash up of a few short stories, they feature Casher O'Neill, the son of a tyrant on a quest to free his people. The first story is exactly that, Casher goes to a rich planet to get support, and comes out with a girl he can't marry and a giant gem to make a laser with.

Then it gets weird, and he meets a turtle girl that's the re-incarnation of a character that seems to be meant to be Space Joan
Simon Mcleish
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in October 2001.

Four linked short stories, set later in Smith's imaginary future than any of his other completed fiction have been put together to make up this novel. They all concern the character Casher O'Neill, exiled from the planet Mizzer when his uncle, its dictator Kuraf, is deposed. (The names in the stories tend to refer to other things; Casher's sounds like a Cairo street name, Mizzer like the Arabic name for Egypt, and Kuraf is an anagram of that o
Alan
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a sci-fi story written in the mid-sixties about an end-of-time hero, Casher O'Neill, who must overthrow an unruly ruler so he can return to his home planet and fulfill his own destiny. Does that sound vague? Well, as I started reading this, all was going well in good science fiction fashion; visits to strange planets, encounters with unusual characters and so on. Then, all of a sudden, the author must have swallowed some magic mushrooms or else gotten manuscript drafts mixed up because t ...more
Kenneth
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
There were a few years, when I was in grade school, when I rarely read anything but science fiction. And I would read any kind of SF that I came across, by any writer, indiscriminately. One author whose work stood out for its ineffable strangeness was Cordwainer Smith. His stories never seemed to be quite like the other science fiction I encountered. Weird, grave, darkly humorous, oddly obscure, as if every tale was drawn from a future history which hid secrets that might or might not ever be re ...more
Shane
May 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard vintage sci-fi fans, completionists
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2015
I've read Cordwainer Smith in the past I remember his books being very "colorful". They were unique and fun, not too serious but not completely silly either. This one was different for me. It was REALLY strange. In the end I kept reading because I was just curious to see how bat-shit insane this guy could get. It's funny because there are a lot of authors out there trying to be really strange. I didn't feel like Mr. Smith was trying.

So this was unique, sometimes fun but really just left me scrat
Jaime
Strange, strange stories that read more like fairy tales than SF. 'On The Gem Planet', 'On The Storm Planet' and 'On The Sand Planet' - gene-engineered tigermen, wayward horses wearing breathing apparatus, charmingly panicky robots, utterly oblique allegories about King Farouk and Gamel Abdul Nasser of Egypt, coded messages within the text of one story about JFK's assassination, an impossibly wealthy but still loveable young girl - all this and more in writing with as high a WTF? factor as any I ...more
Max Nemtsov
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Отличный и очень развлекательный роман в рассказах - и по нему отчетливо видно, насколько многим обязана Кордуэйнеру Смиту вселенная Джосса Уидона (особенно Светлячка и Кукольного дома): от базаров до баллад.
Ayala Sela
טוב, זה היה בסך הכל חביב, אבל ממש לא ברמה של הסופרלטיבים
John
1979 no grade
Michael
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
It inspired me so much that I wrote a filksong for it:
"Casher's Quest" (see http://michaelhalm.tripod.com/id66.htm).
Ginger Heskett
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Eileen
Apr 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bleah. I think you need to have been reading other Cordwainer Smith recently for this one to hold much charm.
Larry Blake
  • La Zone du Dehors
  • Wolfbane
Pseudonym of:
Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger

Linebarger also employed the literary pseudonyms "Carmichael Smith" (for his political thriller Atomsk), "Anthony Bearden" (for his poetry) and "Felix C. Forrest" (for the novels Ria and Carola).

Linebarger was also a noted East Asia scholar and expert in psychological warfare.
More about Cordwainer Smith...

“KENnEDY SHOT. OSWALD SHOT TOO.” 0 likes