Start by marking “Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 1

Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 1

(Death Note: Black Edition #1)

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the autho ...more
Published 2010 by TOKYOPOP GmbH (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, please sign up.
Astor They don't really, some people think that the black ones are prettier and some people like the art on the 40 odd singles, it's the same story just in …moreThey don't really, some people think that the black ones are prettier and some people like the art on the 40 odd singles, it's the same story just in different books. It's also just a little cheaper to buy the black editions also can be easier to just have 1 book for two volumes. (less)
Evangeline B Mangas have a diffrent art stile and normally read right to left.

Start your review of Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 1
Caz (littlebookowl)
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, re-read
Love the humour and how dark, twisted and complex it is getting. So excited to continue!
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, graphicomanga
I love how twisted this was! I'm also so curious to see how there are still 5 (technically 10 if I weren't reading the Black Editions) volumes left! Things are already so crazy, I can't wait to see what happens next.
Chloe
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
cw: violence, murder, suicide

Omg this was INCREDIBLE! This got me out of my reading slump because it was so interesting, complex, fast-paced and action packed. It's super dark, twisted and thought-provoking and I loved it. I did have a few problems with it which is why I am rating it 4.5 instead of 5 (e.g. some lines containing misogyny).

I am SO excited to continue on with the series ahhh!!!
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this. Such a unique concept that kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Can't wait to get the next volume!
greta ☁️
this book ended way too quick :( i can't believe there are people who actually have such creative minds to think of a story like that. it's extra twisty and keeps you on edge whenever L is getting closer to catching Kira. i've got this black edition which is absolutely GORGEOUS with black edges too. black is my favorite color so when i saw it in the bookstore, i could NOT put it back down lmao. totally recommend! x
Lucy Langford
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4****

A great, smart, and twisty graphic novel!

Light Yagami is the top student with great ambition- and he is bored out of his mind. His monotonous life changes when he finds the Death note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami- a death God. Any human who touches the death note is able to the death god who owns it. Light is able to see a death god named Ryuk. The death note enables the death of the human whose name is written in the book. As Light discovers it’s power, he vows to rid the worl
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
3.5/5

I read the first two volumes of Death Note in one sitting and I really enjoyed the cat and mouse dynamic between Light and L. Ryuk was by far my favorite character - I loved his snide commentary. I kind of wish the art had been in color, although I know that's not common in manga. I also realized that I don't enjoy manga as much as I did when I was younger. I found myself sometimes ignoring the pictures and just reading the text. Maybe I'm just too used to reading regular books, haha. Overa
Amelia
Wow!!!

This is the first time I have given reading manga a go. I loved the anime series of Death Note so I thought this would be a good place to start.

I enjoyed this so much. I was interested throughout the whole book and was left with this sad feeling because I don't have the rest of the volumes. I am honestly going to have to go and buy them now.

Highly recommend! And they are quick to read.
Isabella
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 🌟

I can’t believe I’ve waited this long to pick this one up. It’s so dark and intense, violent and mysterious, I LOVED IT.
Sonja ✧・゚。★*☾
4.5 out of 5 stars.
The human whose name is written in this note shall die.
I couldn't put Death Note down once I started it; I had to continue flipping the pages until it ended.
I love the main character Light Yagami; he's a mix between Hermione, Lord Voldemort, the Joker and Batman, as weird as that all sounds. He's very clever and intelligent, however he does very morally-questionable things.

Good and bad are not as simply divided as black and white; there are grey areas too. And Light is a
Lauren
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Oooooooh, this was good. And I mean REALLY good!

Death Note follows Light Yagami who is a straight A student who finds the Death Note (a notebook accidentally dropped by Ryuk - a Shinigami death god) outside of his school. From there, he discovers what exactly the Death Note is capable of, and, what he himself is capable of (trust me, the power most definitely goes to his head!)

In the beginning, I can kind of understand his motive behind what he does (trying to rid the world of evil) however, on
Elizabeth
After a fairly poor start this book develops into a pretty dark and twisted exploration of a psychopath. I'm intrigued and yet I remain undecided about whether to continue. There were moments when I enjoyed the bedevilling cat and mouse games between the killer and the detective. And then there were moments where characters would take inexplicably stupid actions; face-palm city. Plus the screamingly awful sexism. Let's not forget that.

Torn between 2 and 3 stars. We'll see.
Amanda
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

I love this manga series so much! I love the characters (although I never know who to actually support) so so much, and the story line is so interesting and unique.

I cannot wait to continue with the series!
Regina
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maria
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ICONIC. 💯🙌🏽 One of the best crafted, most fascinating stories I’ve ever seen/read in my entire life. Btw, I’m SO GLAD that the anime adaptation of this manga was basically my introduction to the world of anime. A truly life changing experience, hands down. I remember binging it like over a week, either screaming or laughing hysterically at every episode. Man, those were the days. 😪
Light Yagami is GOAT, I’ll never not be mind blown by how incredibly developed that character is. Brilliant.
Lamar
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My brother practically forced me into reading Death Note. You see, I'm not a big manga person, but I like comics so hey why not?
He bought the book and made a deal with me: if you don't like it, I have nothing against you. But if you do like it, then you have to give me the money I spent on that book.
that's how sure he was because let me tell my brother is a financially conservative guy.

Only a few chapters in, and I give him his money back.

Death Note is officially my first manga read; a format
Kaitlin
My first proper adventure into reading Manga as part of the #GettingGraphic readalong and I have to say although it starts off quite cheesy I did find myself enjoying the sinister undertones and the fun manoeuvring that the main characters had to do by the end.

We follow a young boy called Light who finds a DeathNote notebook. When he writes in a person's name whilst picturing them he can write out their death and cause it to happen. This turn of events allows Light to do a cleanse of the world'
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
⠀⠀✧ • ° . ◦ *⠀┊ three and three quarter stars.

⠀i thoroughly enjoyed this... so much that i ran to the library and got the remainder of the series. while this was extremely entertaining... i can’t help but to give it this star rating. it was great but could have been better, i guess.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀” look around you, and all you
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ will see are people the world
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ would be better off without. “

things i really enjoyed:

❥ ┊the premise.
⠀⠀⠀⠀the idea of the the death note has always fascinated me.
gio
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Manga experiment?
Kind of. When I was a child I'd spend hours watching anime. Considering that I love reading and I love art one would hink I'm used to manga. I'm not, and for a simple reason: I'd rather spend my money on a book, that I know it'll take me at least a couple of hours to read, rather than on something that is quite expensive and I can read in one hour.

I decided to read Death note because I was curious. I was definitely curious and I'm not enjoying reading much these days because of
Lyndsay
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cole is always bugging me to read more manga and he really wants to watch the Death Note anime with me. But I wanted to read the manga first so I'm so happy that I was finally able to get around to it in July. I loved loved loved this. I was sucked in from the very first page and the only reason I didn't finish it all in one sitting is because I literally fell asleep staying up late trying to finish it.

If you don't know, this series follows a boy named Light who finds a notebook one day and lear
Josen
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
(Hmm.....I did write a review but it didn't post)

Anyways........this was my first manga! It did take a minute for me to get used to reading the other way lol, but once I got the hang of it I really enjoyed it!

Light Yagami is a high school student in Japan who comes across a notebook. This particular notebook was dropped by a Shinigami, a death god. Apparently whoever is in ownership of this book has the power to kill people. Once Light understands what he's capable of doing, he decides to play
Logan Price
First of all Jon don't hate me for reading this before I got it for Christmas. (read it online). Nevertheless these black editions are beautiful and will look great on my bookshelf.

Now for the review: This is an amazing, very unique story. In fact, it was just what I was looking for at the time. Part mythical and fantasy equal part mystery. A young adult finds a notebook called the death note and is able to kill people by simply writing their name with their face in mind. He can also choose how
Phee
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Obviously being the huge Deathnote fan that I am, nothing but a 5 star rating for this. For me Deathnote is one of the most addictive, powerful, and engrossing stories I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing. The characters are fantastic and the whole cat and mouse arc of Light vs L is one of favourites of all time. L is my kindred spirit and my cake loving self loves him dearly.
If anyone has been debating giving this a go, then I urge you too. You won’t regret it.
Hanin Elthawabtah
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Let the story begin.
I loved it. I loved it. I loved it.
Can't wait to start Vol. 2
Romie
this was so smart! I'm so intrigued by Light! I want to know more & see how he'll manage not being found out! ...more
Greg
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At nearly 400 pages, this is quite a tome for a comic book, but the length adds value for money to what is, overall, a very intelligent and thought-provoking narrative. Essentially, it deals with the ethical and philosophical issues that arise when, suddenly given the power of life or death over other people, what would one do with it? It’s also a tale of two brilliant young minds trying to outwit each other, their tactics and forward-planning making the story more complex and absorbing as it un ...more
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
3/5 ⭐

This manga is super dark but it was really enjoyable. I liked the way we got to see the characters' minds working and scheming plans. It was interesting and really questions the line between being good and evil.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Love this anime series and just re reading it give me chills of excitement!
Julia ✨
I completely loved the anime, but the manga isn't blowing my mind as much. I probably should've read it before.
Jason
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My FIRST MANGA!!
Historically, I've enthusiastically avoided Manga because of the assumptions I've always adhered to regarding the genre's deeply questionable proclivity to highlight particular regions of the young female anatomy (You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about if you've ever paged through one).
Not wanting to associate myself with such inappropriately prurient material, I therefore decided long ago to give the multitude of Manga publications, which CONSTANTLY devour more and more shelf
Manga Monday Book...: CHAPTER #13: COUNTDOWN 8 33 Aug 07, 2019 12:55AM
Manga Monday Book...: CHAPTER #8: WOMAN 8 52 Jul 29, 2019 04:03PM
Manga Monday Book...: CHAPTER #16: HANDSTAND 8 40 Jul 29, 2019 12:51PM
Manga Monday Book...: CHAPTER #15: PHONE CALL 7 25 Jul 29, 2019 12:51PM
Manga Monday Book...: CHAPTER #14: TEMPTATION 11 37 Jul 29, 2019 12:50PM
Manga Monday Book...: CHAPTER #12: GOD 6 28 Jul 29, 2019 12:49PM
Manga Monday Book...: CHAPTER #10: CONFLUENCE 5 23 Jul 29, 2019 12:48PM

• Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1
  • Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 1 (Orange: The Complete Collection, #1)
  • Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Vols. 1, 2 & 3 (Naruto: Omnibus, #1)
  • Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 2
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Inuyasha, Volume 01 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 2 [Tokyo Guru 2] (Tokyo Ghoul, #2)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 2 [Boku No Hero Academia 2] (My Hero Academia, #2)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 3 [Tokyo Guru 3] (Tokyo Ghoul, #3)
  • Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Kanzenban 01 (Fullmetal Alchemist Kanzenban, #1)
  • 暗殺教室 1 [Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 1] (Assassination Classroom, #1)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #1)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 (Naoki Urasawa's Monster: Kanzenban, #1)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 4 [Tokyo Guru 4] (Tokyo Ghoul, #4)
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is spe

Death Note: Black Edition (6 books)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 2