Start by marking “Loop Group ” as Want to Read:
Loop Group

Loop Group

2.63  ·  Rating details ·  811 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews

In perhaps his finest contemporary novel since Terms of Endearment, Larry McMurtry, with his miraculously sure touch at creating instantly recognizable women characters and his equally miraculous sharp eye for the absurdities of everyday life in the modern West, writes about two women, old friends, who set off on an adventure -- with unpredictable and sometimes hilarious r
Published December 5th 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Loop Group, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loop Group

K.D. Absolutely
My first book by the Pulitzer-winner Larry McMurtry and I thought I did not choose well.

I have a copy of his Lonesome Dove but it seems to be a book belonging in the genre that I am not sure I would enjoy reading: western. I used to enjoy watching western movies when I was younger but I am not sure I would like to read books about them now that I am older. You see, I used to love seeing those cowboys riding their horses galloping on the desert producing blinding dusts everywhere. I also loved to
Joy H.
Jun 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-so-hot
This novel was very disappointing, especially since it was written by a writer who won the Pulitzer Prize before writing this book. The writing was almost sophomoric and the story was stultifying. I finished it only because I was wondering how it would end.

Even the ending was disappointing. It was as if the author couldn't think of a better ending and wound things up quickly to finish writing. Throughout the book, there was a lot of boring, uninspired dialogue between two female friends about no
Melissa
Jan 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it. First book in ages. Got to page 79, read the words "Why was life so hard?" and gave up. Seems like I'm not the only one: In the copy borrowed from the library, someone had written "Irony or idiocy, is Larry silly or senile?" after McMurty's banal words. I usually oppose the defacing of a book (after all, one's opinion isn't always wanted and is never universal), but this particular sentiment gave me the permission to give up. Too bad the first book of 2011 blew.
Philip
Dec 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One.
Shelves: unfinished
Larry McMurtry has said in several recent memoirs that some writers go on producing novels long after they've run out of steam. He has also said that he feels like he was one person before his heart bypass surgery in the 1990s, and another after. His books since the mid-1990s have certainly borne out both theories. In LOOP GROUP it's a woman who has that feeling of being/having been two people, that she was one person before her hysterectomy and another person afterward. I was a huge McMurtry fa ...more
Kendra
Oct 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
I can almost say that I hated this book. Why did I finish it then? Maybe because I kept thinking that it couldn’t be THAT bad, that it would get better. I kept thinking I was missing something…that how could such a celebrated author write complete nonsense…

Basically, the book, written by the same author who wrote Lonesome Dove and Terms of Endearment (really??? I didn’t even know the same person wrote such two very different stories), is centered on Maggie, a 60+ year old woman who has lived in
Paul
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another Larry McMurtry, and not set in Texas this time.

I'm a big fan of McMurtry, and found this to be a good read. How does he think of these characters? There is a tinge of "Thelma and Louise" here, but the characters, the situations, and the plot are in no way similar. Maggie, the protagonist is a Native Hollywoodian Auntie Mame character, and won my sympathy immediately. I loved the read, actually, loved rooting for Maggie.

McMurtry is having fun with this book, and his antics left me only
Cathe Olson
Sep 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
60-year-old Maggie is supposedly "in despair" since her hysterectomy but it's a good thing the author told us because I'd certainly never know it from the story. She seems to be happy enough putting the moves on her 80 year old perverted psychologist who she has suddenly discovered she's "in love" with and getting drunk and high with her best friend.

This is one of the worst books I've ever read-and I'm actually quite flabbergasted at how bad it was given the number of novels this author has pub
Sorcia Macnasty
Jan 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Do you enjoy being hit repeatedly in the face with a bed pan?!

Then you'll LOVE this crap!

It's official, kids: Larry McMurtry done lost his mind. Or perhaps has had a lobotomy. Because I'm sure as death and taxes that this is NOT the same guy who wrote the uncompromising, compelling and heart-wrenching Lonesome Dove series (in point of fact, the only Westerns I've ever whole-heartedly loved). Actually, I think the explanation might be that he lost a drunken bet with his agent. Or owed money to t
Leslie
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads
Fine, but nothing exciting. Didn't really feel a connection to any of the characters, and one or two of them were just plain annoying. It was one of those books that I just didn't really see much of a point to once I got to the end of it. It kind of turned me off that every single character was rampantly unfaithful in their marriages - I'm not so naive that I think that sort of thing doesn't happen, but still, every single character, at least all the married ones.
Rene
Dec 15, 2009 rated it liked it
The cover of this book had me thinking that it was going to involve a younger age group but the two main characters I'm guessing are in the 50-60 age range. Reading about middle-aged women having sex, doing drugs and racking up credit card debt really doesn't click with me. Maybe I should read this book again in 30 years and see if I have the same feeling?
Nancy
May 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
wish there was a 1-1/2. Picked this up on sale for some beach fluff reading. I usually love McMurtry, and this had some moments of his humor and insight. But overall it just seemed like random details never tied together. I wonder if he just dashed this random tale off to pay a bill. Not a contender with the rest of his books.
Robin Ray Holbert
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm listening to this unabridged book in the car. Course, since I only drive 1.5 miles to work, it'll take me a while to get through this. So far, I'm not impressed. So far it's the weakest Larry McMurtry I've ever read and I've read a lot o' Larry McMurtry.
Jim Jannotti
Jan 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm abandoning this effort. McMurtry's one of my favorites but in recent years his fiction has been uneven to say the least. I'm switching to his recent memoir entitled "Books" and setting this failure aside.
Scott
Jul 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Smut. Total crap. I seriously did not need to read about some 60 year old woman blowing her 80-something year old shrink or "self-lubricating" from excitement. I picked this piece up in the $3.99 bin at Borders and should have put it right back down.
Nicole Marble
Grownups, beware any book where the dustcover says the story is 'zany'.
Yuck.
Amy
Oct 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
Awful.
Sara
Feb 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sorry-i-read-it
I felt the need to finish the book once I started it but it was bad. Like a automobile accident that you can't NOT watch. The characters were unbelievable, very flat.
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
don't know if I can stand the reader/narrator. The story isn't strong enough to keep me from abandoning due to the readers style. It's like she's reading to children.
Maureen
Dec 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: guilty-pleasure
Although I've enjoyed some if his other works, this book was not a worthwhile read.
Dusty
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
I thought this book is kind of stupid. I read it hoping that it would pick up and become more interesting. But, it didn't.
Tiffany
Sep 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
Shelves: own
This book was painful to get through! I probably wouldn't have finised this book if it wasn't for a book club.
Rosie
May 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
ok

not one of McMurtry's best
far from it
Courtney E. Smith
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
To sum it up: a lot goes on but nothing happens. No denouement makes a story not much of a story.
Carolyn
Dec 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
i hated this book. not really sure why i even finished it. i found if offensive.
Cindy
Sep 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Awful. Just awful! Can't believe I wasted previous reading time on this crap! Just telling it like it is!
Karen Dunaway
Whatever its problems, I read it at one sitting and loved spending this time with my old friend Larry McMurtry.
Belinda Fry
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun and off the wall
Muld00n
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I cannot believe this is a Larry McMurtry book. After 59 pages, I kept waiting for the McMurtry magic to kick in; it never did. Could not finish this book it was so disappointing.
Lesley
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jenn
Mar 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Not a good read. Slow and boring with no real climax to speak of. The book shlops through some interesting characters as well as a best friend who's only interested in herself. It’s clear that they are only friends due to the time they have known each other and not due to anything that they may like about each other.
It might be that that I'm a 30 something year old woman who is not having a hysterectomy any time soon, but attempting to find common ground with any of these characters was impossi
  • Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
  • The Case of the Night-Stalking Bone Monster (Hank the Cowdog, #27)
  • Jim Ugly
  • Kilbrack
  • Sing to Me of Dreams
  • Galileo
  • If You Traveled on the Underground Railroad
  • Oliver Twist (Junior Classics for Young Readers)
  • Bread on Arrival (Heaven Lee, #4)
  • At the Mercy of the Sea
  • The House That George Built: With a Little Help from Irving, Cole, and a Crew of About Fifty
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
Larry McMurtry is the author of twenty-nine novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove, three memoirs, two collections of essays, and more than thirty screenplays.

Among many other accolades he was the co-winner of an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

Larry McMurty was born in Wichita Falls Texas in 1936. His first published book Horseman, Pass By was
More about Larry McMurtry...