Start by marking “I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly” as Want to Read:
I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly

I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,090 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly is a classic children's folk song. The original author is unknown, but it has been sung and retold many times and many ways. This picture book beautifully illustrates the original version. Nikki Smith combines watercolor, collage, and graphic design to illustrate the animal chase. Children will love to read and sing along with this b ...more
Published June 7th 2006 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly

AmerikaJade Hernandez
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Its a really good book!!!
Christina
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a story of an old lady who swallows a fly. In order to get the fly out, she swallows different animals to eat the last one that she swallowed. There is a very simple rhyming pattern that the text follows. Students can easily pick up on this pattern as they read! This book can be used to discuss how to make predictions in our reading. You can also talk about what is possible and impossible (a woman would not really be able to swallow a horse for example).
Danielle
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
PB #47: I love that this classic fold song is now in print! The original author is unknown and it has been retold many ways but it is still a classic! The rhyming is so much fun for kids to sing along. This is a great read for beginning readers and a great way to get your classroom to participate in a book with you!
Brandi
This children's favorite depicts an old lady who accidentally swallows a fly. She continues to swallow animal after animal to eat the previous thing. This story would be a good text to use for rhyming or repetition. Students can take aspects of this story to use in their own writing or create their own version of the story.
Robyn Watt
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
fun and creative book, wonderful and interesting illustrations for each animal swallowed, showing how big the old woman got with each animal. this book has wonderful rhyming words and can help with animal identification, and guessing what animal would be swallowed next. Have the children create a book where they themselves swallowed different things and see what they come up with
Erica
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Just got it today, was so happy I immediately sat down and read it to my children. they loved it. It was a fun book to read. They were kind of bummed out over the old woman dieing, but other then that we all loved it.
Murlene
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, sequence
One of my favorites as a child. I am sure the students will love the rhyming and wondering what she will eat next
Drucilla
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s
Such a great sing-song story for children.
Jordan
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: Young children.
I used to read this book in second and third grade and laugh so hard! I also remember singing the little rhyme on road trips with my grandfather. Amazing book(:
Don Gubler
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The book isn't as good as Burl Ives.
Nancy
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best version I've seen for this popular song. The illustratons are Eric Carle style and hilarious. Kids will love it and want to read it over and over.
Ryan Merz
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly by Nikki Smith is funny, one of my favorite books when I was a little kid.
Ashley
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
love this book it is so fun and entertaining i could just read in over and over again it is a must read childrens book
Bree
Jun 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
I was grossed out by the thought of this story as a child and refuse to read it to my own. Saying "I think she'll die" over and over again is enough to make me scream.
Ashley
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: songs
Grade level: Preschool- Second grade
Awards: None
Summary: I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly by Nikki Smith, is folksong that talks about an old woman who swallows many creatures including a fly, bird, spider, etc. As the song continues the things that she has eaten are repeated. The illustrations depict what is happening inside of her stomach after she eats each creature.
Review: This folksong is catchy, lively, and all children find this song silly and enjoyable. The storylines of this song
Kylie
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I would give this book half a star. It was super annoying!!! Who swallows a fly and thinks it's a good idea to swallow other creatures and things to get rid of it????!!!!! If you read this book you are wasting your time. It literally says the same thing over and over again with one phrase added.
Jessica Reyle
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is just a fun story to read. It is also a good way to introduce folk tales.
Sydney Rachlin
Feb 26, 2017 added it
Shelves: nursery
1. This book has received no awards.

2. Appropriate grade levels: Pre-k, and K-2

3. This is a nursery rhyme book that tells the story about an old lady who swallows a fly. She doesn't only swallow a fly though; she swallows so many different things. The old lady continues to swallow a whole bunch of silly things just to get this fly.

4. This is a great nursery rhyme book. It was my favorite as a child and continues to make me laugh as an adult. My nephews love to read this book over and over again
Kaylee
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I remember that everyone loved this book when I was in elementary school. It was often used as a sing aloud. I think that this would still be a great book to incorporate into the classroom, because it is easy for students to remember and sing a long to.
Ann Marie
A childhood story I have questioned since my childhood...I always wondered about the sanity of the author as well as the fact that those whom we were taught to trust would have us sing and dance and clap our hands while rejoicing this old lady and her serious issues...it is a flowing rythm and rhyming and memory story but since I have issues with exactly what we are trying to teach our children with this one I can't star it
Maritza
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This book help the children to identify the rhyme patterns and have fun reading this book. Is very creative. Childen can sing this song and learn. The ilustrations are nice and the secuency that the old lady swallow differenty animals help the children to memoraize the book and let the children try to imagine the story.
Alexis Fiore
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I remembering reading the older version when I younger and this book will always be a classic. It has a simple rhyming pattern that children can easily pick up on as the read. I think it would be a great read aloud book because you can easily have students participate and guess what might happen next!
Paige
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know an old lady who swallowed a fly
Rate: 5

This is another classic book that I think everyone has read or at least heard of. When reading this book it is kind of wonderful how nicely it rhymes. I enjoy this book because it is just a fun book to read with kids.
Brandon Clifton
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is also a classic fantasy book. It is basically about an old woman who swallowed a fly and a bunch of other things as well, Hints the title. Little kids love reading this because it is so interesting and funny to them. Very good book!
Leanna Ellis
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love to sing it as a song. Kids love it.
Kevin Hull
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A classic that never gets old. One of my childhood favorites!
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Always love the old woman who swallowed a fly and a horse of course!
Ayla
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Etienne A. Gibbs
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story then; love it now, thanks to Nikki!
Chandra
Aug 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
The pictures are horrendous and creepy. The premise is weird.
Facebook Fan 1 7 Dec 05, 2009 10:16PM
  • Left Shoe Right Shoe
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • The Bravest Squirrel Ever (The Bravest Squirrel, #1)
  • Let's Play in the Forest While the Wolf Is Not Around!
  • The Puppy Sister
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Giants and the Joneses
  • Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale
  • This is the House that Jack Built
  • Stories from Around the World
  • Why Do Tigers Have Stripes? (Usborne Starting Point Science)
  • The Tortoise and the Hare: An Aesop Fable
  • No Fighting, No Biting!
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
  • Rescue Ferrets at Sea (The Ferret Chronicles, #2)
  • The Tale of Mr. Tod
  • Rumpelstiltskin
Nikki is an artist and a first grade teacher. She enjoys using a variety of artistic media. Currently, her illustrating technique combines the use of watercolor, collage, and graphic design. Her children's books bring together her experiences with children and art. Nikki spends most of her free time as a "lake girl," or enjoying the ocean. She slalom water skis on a lake in Michigan where her fami ...more
More about Nikki Smith