Start by marking “The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)

The Wild's Call

(Aspect of Crow 0.5)

It is seven years after the collapse of modern civilization, and the world is entering a new Dark Age. Can best friends Elysia and Darien trust the animal spirits that are beckoning them to escape into the wilderness and create a new way of life? And will they give in to the mutual passion they've always denied?

Don't miss this thrilling prequel story set in the same world

Published March 18th 2009 by Luna (first published March 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wild's Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild's Call

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
121 books — 164 voters
Red Winter by Annette MarieKogitsune by Xia Xia LakeKamisama Kiss, Vol. 1 by Julietta SuzukiThe Fox Woman by Kij JohnsonRosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire
Kitsune in Books
112 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

April
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
OK, I *liked* this book and somehow got invested in the characters, but it was far too short, and it was clear to me in the end that it was meant to be a prequel, a kind of a tease and a taste of the series ahead. I wanted more development of the main characters and more of a story. I wanted this to be self-contained, with a conclusion that would allow me to leave the two characters with a very good feeling that they'd be happy. Instead, I got a look at future characters -- they were heavily des ...more
Dee
Nov 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
Review haiku
Chaos becomes law
Some get animal powers
Lacks depth and insight
Ginger
This was just okay for me. I've had this on my Kindle forever, not even sure why I downloaded this freebie....maybe because it was free?? I'm not interested in continuing with the series. Just not my cup of tea.
Zena L. Anderson
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast read

A fun fast read. I was looking for more to find out what happens to this new community. Seemed almost too short.
Pia Veleno
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great set-up for a series. I skimmed some reviews, and I think that the lower scores are missing that this was written as a prequel for an established story. Yes, it is short, and yes, it ends just when the reader is becoming vested in the spirit animals, but that's the point of a prequel.

Society has collapsed and two friends flee town with an empty rifle, a small supply of food, and a knapsack of secrets, all to escape the pain of a city running out of food, but really because anima
Sue Lyndon
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable read overall. It's a fast paced short story, but it's not lacking in detail. Elysie and Darien have great chemistry and their discussions are fun - particularly when they are talking about old songs and books. I know a lot of the reviewers here felt they wanted more, but hey - it's a short story and a prequel, so enjoy it for what it is.
Lyndon
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
A fair prequel novella to a series of books about an emerging magical society where survivors of 'the Collapse' each have some kind of spirit-animal super power. We don't know any details, the story begins in medias res, and the author does a pretty good job hinting at the post-apocalyptic context rather than explaining the details. The emphasis is on the two main characters as they escape a volatile Baltimore and head for the woods where they meet up with others like them.

It's a mildly interes
Erin Penn
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick free STAND-ALONE read introducing the Aspect of the Crow series, a prequel. I picked it up because I had heard good things about Jeri Smith-Ready and wanted to see her work in action.

Standard YA-ish (sex happens and the people are 8 years out-of-college, so it isn't true YA, but it does feel like it during the read) post-apocalyptic urban fantasy romance-adventure. Pleasant read, but not memorable.

A good beach read.
ngozi
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Good

It's a warm book dat keeps you interested throughout.
Not funny or intense
But nice to read and enjoy while reading
Gina
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read!

The only thing I would have to say is I wish there was more, it definitely will lead you to your own imagination
moxieBK
Book #1 in the Aspect of Crow series.

Well, it was a fairly quick read, so there's that. But, mostly, too much was going on in this book. Maybe because it was so short? You have Elysia, a strong female protagonist, and you have Darien, who seems like he wants to protect her.This is a dystopian story, set seven years after a great collapse. Of what? I don't know. But the relationship between these two is sudden and intense, without much of any build-up. And then there was the plot of trying to get
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

The world collapsed seven years ago and Elysia has just been trying to get by ever since. When Darien steps back into her life urging her to come with him on the journey towards their spirit animals, she tells him that he’s nuts. But she really has nowhere else to turn, so she goes anyway.

Like the dystopian novels that are flooding YA right now, this book had me fascinated by its world. The world has collapsed and now there appe
Shirley
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, it’s official. I will now just go ahead and put everything by Jeri Smith-Ready on my TBR list.

Honestly, I didn’t know about any other books by this author until I started reading her Shade Series. For a lot of reasons, I really love that series. The characters, the premise, the writing even the local. It’s one of the first series that I have read that took place in an area that I grew up near. It was only part of the draw, but it was there. The point is, reading Shade, Shift and Shine made
Simian Editor
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
It started so well! Then, perhaps lured by that and the rapidly lengthening progress bar on my Kindle app (It’s a novella, not a novel), I read it all the way through, becoming more and more disappointed with every page. The Wild’s Call by Jeri Smith-Ready didn’t have any errors or formatting problems I could find, though Smith-Ready does seem to have invented her own rules for ellipses. The main problem I had with the story was its ever-decreasing believability, even for fantasy. It starts off ...more
Cat
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the chaos after the Collapse, it is difficult for the reader to find his/her bearings. The author kind of just throws you in there and expects you to fend for yourself (not unlike the main characters). Although this is a good set up for the rest of the series (which I haven't read), this book is entirely too short with too little detail. I suppose the problem lies in that this is a prequel, so fans of the other books already have the "big picture" in mind. However, as a new reader more detail ...more
Megan
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
The book wasn't bad, it just wasn't really what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be a fun fantasy/end of the world book. Little did I know I was getting myself into a romance novel with lines like " Elysia caressed his hard, bulging biceps to confirm that his mightiness was all-natural, 100% organic" or "Because screwing without trust is just...poison. And we can't survive poison...'I trust you with my body.'"

I think my biggest problem with the book was the pacing. Things moved too fas
Cari L. Pedstelak
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Note: I wrote this quick review at http://www.amazon.com/review/R2VOXOS6... using my Kindle for the first time on December 7, 2010. My husband has since purchased the Aspect of Crow trilogy as an anniversary gift for me and I look forward to reading those soon.

"I definitely didn't want this little freebie treasure to end so soon! Already having an interest in spirit animals likely contributed to my being hooked & finishing in one evening, but what a great evening Jeri Smith-Ready wrote for m
Mary Bernsen
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm trying to base my judgement on the fact that this is a prequel to a full series. Having never read any of the other books, I'd say this was a sufficient introduction. Given how short the story was, I have no complaints on the character development. The writing was crisp, and the dialogue believable. No insta-love here (yay!). Best friends to lovers is a trope I enjoy. The plot could've used some fleshing out, but again, this was not supposed to be a full novel. I just felt there was no real ...more
MsBDiamondDiva1
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Ok, this book is a little different from the vampire stories that I read-but I liked it. The only problem that I have is that there wasn't enough of the story to satisfy my hungry!!! The characters backgrounds weren't really laid out for you and the overall plot is the building of a new civilization. I just want some more history on why the world as we know it, no longer exists. I mean, sure she describes the ruined cities, lack of food, lack of housing, no power and even how gasoline was the gr ...more
Sandra
Dec 19, 2010 rated it liked it
2.5 - 3 stars, this was a cute little story, although I'm not totally on board with the whole 'spirit animal' thing, at least it was original. My main issue with short stories (including this one) is they go along fine until about halfway through when the main character does a 180. For example, when Elysia finally shows Darien what's in her backpack, we were reading from his perspective at the time and therefor had no idea why all of a sudden she showed him when up until that point she was stead ...more
roulette
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This kind of put a damper on the series I so brilliantly loved (but not much --- I got over it quickly enough). It just felt lacking, and it pulled back the history of the lovely world I'd grown to love. I'm not against the truth of matters, at all. In fact I quite liked it. I just didn't like the way it was told.

In regards to Jeri and her writing, I much much much prefer her fantasy material to her more contemporary stuff. I just find her contemporary writing style to be less wonderful.
Randi
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
As this is a prequel to the series, I'm curious about it. It's a short story (I think, roughly 65 pages). While the story pretty much covers all points, I do wish that it could be more elaborate, especially on how they receive "Bear" or "Fox" in their dreams. All I know that it scared the heck out of the main characters but one embraced it while the other ran away from it. So the story has the potential to turn into a novel, it is only a prequel to the series so I guess it is enough to keep me i ...more
Judy
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Wild’s Call by Jeri Smith-Redi
Aspect of Crow Book 0.5
Elysia and Darien are within the city of Baltimore. What use to be the city anyways. Elysia has no choice but to steal to survive. When Darien comes to her rescue they escape the city. They both have had dreams of animals spirits calling them away. The fox for Elysia and the bear for Darien. So off on their adventure to start a new world and a new life. Together.
Aspect of Crow Trilogy: Eyes of Crow, Voice of Crow and The Reawakened.
**Sensu
Teri
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-book
Well it is what it is...
a short prequel offered free for Kindle.
Kinda, I think, meant to be a an advertisement or a teaser for the series it introduces.

I am intriguied by the whole animal spirit & post apacolyptic (my current fav books) themes.
It is just very basic in it's character development, scenes, dialog and plot. Almost only a just barely fleshed out outline. BUT it has me interested in the series it starts off :).
T.
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This started out pretty good, but by the end, I felt some of the leaps in the story were simply weak. It was a good read, with good character development, but it lacked complexity. Many people may not care, as it's a novella, but I felt it could have offered more in the way of filling plot holes instead of glossing over them for a pat ending... to be fair, I believe this is a prequel, but it still didn't offer enough to satisfy my need to know.
Sabrina
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this novella. The world is interesting, the two main characters Elyse and Darien, complicated but gutsy, and there is enough mystery here to keep me intrigued. I definitely want to know more.

This was a free Kindle book and it definitely did its work - I now need to read the first of the Trilogy - Eyes of Crow. I enjoyed Smith-Ready's Shade tremendously so I'm curious about her earlier works.
Anne
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Free download on my kindle...

The earth has suffered some major disaster forcing people to steal, loot, kill, etc in response to the shortage of food, fuel and everything else needed for survival. Elysia now hears the voice of the fox spirit and she joins up with a guy who used to be a super close friend. he hears the voice of a bear. They follow their spirit guides and end up in a place where a whole community of people who hear these voices is forming.
Jasmine
Nov 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Absolutely one of the worst books/stories I've read. This book is written very poorly. The story moves quickly, goes nowhere, and doesn't make a lot of sense. The characters are obnoxious and shallow (yet seem to always win and be in charge!) The dialogue is painful and vapid. I wish I could give this story 0 stars.

I understand that this is a prequel. I'd say take it as a sign to avoid the rest of the series. Run!!!
Jess F. (From Me to You ... Book Reviews)
"3.5 out of 5 stars. Very cute! Good characters. This is a prequel story to the full Aspect of Crow series, and I'm definitely curious as to how the community they build will work out."

Read more of this review and a TEASER here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/05/made-grade-aspect-of-crow-series.html
Nozomi
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own, kindle
This is a short story set in the apocalyptic future of Smith-Ready's Aspect of Crow universe. It's fantasy romance but has a really YA feel to it. It's actually free to order for your Kindle, and is also offered at eHarlequin.com free.

Read The Wild's Call here.
Read Storm Reaper here.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• An Unwanted Hunger (V'KAR, #1)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • The Hunters (Henry Parker #4.5)
  • A Turn of Curses
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • The Bite of Silence (Biting Love Series)
  • The Sacrifice (Forbidden, #1)
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • Icy Heat (Heat Series)
  • I Thought It Was You (Grimm's Circle, #2.5)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • The Matchmakers
  • Kiss Me Deadly (Bewitch the Dark #2)
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
  • The Wild Sight
  • When Night Falls
  • Stopping Time, Part 1 (Wicked Lovely, #2.5 Part I)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
Jeri Smith-Ready has been writing fiction since the night she had her first double espresso. A steady stream of caffeine has produced twelve published novels for teens and adults since 2001.

Jeri lives in Maryland with her husband and two cats, who often play tag-team "sit in the author's lap and keep her from writing." (The cats, that is, not the husband. Though, actually...)

Aspect of Crow (3 books)
  • Eyes of Crow (Aspect of Crow, #1)
  • Voice of Crow (Aspect of Crow, #2)
  • The Reawakened (Aspect of Crow, #3)
“They said this would be the last year for corn. It needed too many fertilizers, and the oil to make them—the oil to make anything—was long gone, or at least so expensive it might as well not exist. She wanted” 0 likes
“black belt, and she’d earned the mother of all vendettas by leaving his bed without so much as a note. They’d been friends for almost ten years, since college, a world that lay just a few” 0 likes