Start by marking “Rebecca” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  332,730 Ratings  ·  15,179 Reviews
Publicado em 1938, Rebecca é talvez o romance por que Daphne du Maurier é hoje mais lembrada. Ao lê-lo entramos numa atmosfera onírica, sombria, alimentada por segredos que os códigos sociais obrigam a permanecer ocultos e que se concentram na misteriosa mansão Manderley. É para esta mansão que a narradora, uma jovem humilde, vai viver com o viúvo Maxim de Winter, ao aceit ...more
Capa Mole, 400 pages
Published March 17th 2009 by Editorial Presença (first published August 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Rebecca, please sign up.

P I think you should keep reading, not only this book, but as many well-written others as you can find. By doing so, your own level of worldly knowledge…moreI think you should keep reading, not only this book, but as many well-written others as you can find. By doing so, your own level of worldly knowledge will inevitably continue to grow, and then--maybe--your grammar skills will improve as well.
From what I can see, they need to. Desperately.(less)
Paula Vince She was a typical shy person, self-conscious to the point of awkwardness, both brave and cowardly, as we shy folk are. I think her biggest flaw was…moreShe was a typical shy person, self-conscious to the point of awkwardness, both brave and cowardly, as we shy folk are. I think her biggest flaw was her blind love for Maxim, who never struck me as very heroic at all. Frank Crawley was a far nicer person. (less)

Kelly
This is it. THE delicious, curl up next to the fire under a blanket with tea book. THE windowsill on a rainy day with your pet book. THE stay up all night book. A chill goes down your spine (but in a good way!) while reading it. It is a masterpiece of gothic literature, the inheritor of the tradition of novels like Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. I'd call it the 20th Century Jane Eyre, actually, with a modernist twist. It is written so that the characters and events come to seem quite believabl ...more
Jeffrey Keeten
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, book-to-film
”Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again".

This is one of the more famous lines in literature certainly it belongs in the same conversation as Call me Ishmael. Even to people who have never read the book or seen the excellent movie by Alfred Hitchcock might have a glimmer of recognition at the mention of a place called Manderley. Daphne du Maurier leased a place called Menabilly which became the basis for the fictional Manderley. Aren’t we glad she changed the name? Just say Manderley a few
Navessa
Well…this is awkward.

So, most of my friends love this book. Naturally, I wanted to as well. I blame the herd mentality.

Baaah.

Did I love this book? At times, yes. Did I also loathe this book? At times, yes. It’s made deciding on a rating a much more daunting task than I normally face. After reflecting on it for some time, and re-reading my f-bomb laden notes, I’m going with two stars, because as a whole, I did not enjoy this.

While I greatly detested some aspects, I can still recognize gorgeou
Bill  Kerwin
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, fiction, novels

A woman, a man, another woman's shadow; a landscape, a house, a hidden history. These six elements have informed the gothic impulse from Udolpho and Jane Eyre to The Thirteenth Tale. Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca is crucial to the genre, for in it du Maurier simplified and organized these six elements, refining the narrative, concentrating the mythic, and enriching the ambiguity of her tale.

What du Maurier understood is that the heart of the romantic gothic is the struggle between two women, one w
Elyse
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went in completely 100% blind!!! Blind trust was all I needed, from trusted friends, but it took me forever to make this book a priority. I had 'Rebecca' downloaded on my Kindle since 2014. How foolish I was to wait.

There are 313, 907 ratings.... and 13, 947 reviews, on Goodreads, ... with an overall rating of 4.2 Ratings like that SPEAK! It's not a hype either!!

"Rebecca" is the most enduring classic of Love and Evil I've ever read.

Mystery, gothic thriller, drama, secrets, crime, suspense, s
Candi
Oh, how I wish I could rewind the past month and start all over again! Then I could pick up Rebecca and experience this breathtaking novel once more as if for the first time. Truth be told, this wasn’t actually my first time reading this quintessential piece of classic gothic literature. However, I am ashamed to say that the number of years that have passed between my first reading and this recent one, combined with what I like to call a lingering case of ‘momnesia’, effectively rendered this re ...more
Arlene Sanders
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
HERE IS MY HEART...

REBECCA is my favorite book of all time -- bar none.

The opening line is famous, but I didn’t know that the first time I read it (I was about 14). I just remember that the magic began with that first line:

Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderly again....

The girl is young, clumsy, exquisitely sensitive. Impoverished and alone after her father’s death, she was employed by a wealthy and boorish social climber, Mrs. Van Hopper, and made her living as the older woman’s companion.

Ma
Justin
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, hello there. It's officially been two months since I actually finished a book, and it's been longer than that since I reviewed one. I almost forgot what it feels like to come to the last page of a book, read it, exhale slowly, and put the book down gently with that small spark of accomplishment raging deep inside you. Plus, the whole post-book sandwich thing that I've mentioned somewhere before and, again, may not be a real thing.

So, Rebecca... wow. It took me a month to read it because I
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Manderley and I had a much more successful visit this time around, as compared to the first time I read this book several years ago. Here's the key: This is not a romance novel. It's a psychological suspense novel. As I reread Rebecca with this in mind, I had a much greater appreciation for its artistry, the way Daphne du Maurier skillfully used words to create a mood and increase the suspense.
We can never go back again, that much is certain. The past is still close to us. The things we have tri
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
4 stars to Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. I loved it and may even consider it 4 1/2 stars (but I can't!).

Story
The second wife of a wealthy widower (you'll never know her name) tries to figure out how to fit into her new family when it seems there's now way how. With many twists and turns, both suspense and a bit of romance, this story captures your attention immediately and takes you on a path of great intrigue. Just when you think you've figured it out, du Maurier confounds and surprises you --
Madeline
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I dreamt I went to Manderley again."
Rebecca is the story of a young woman (her first name is never given) who marries wealthy Maxim de Winter, mostly to escape her life as a companion to a rich American woman. She moves with her new husband to his estate, Manderly, where she learns about her husband's previous wife, Rebecca. Although Rebecca drowned in the ocean near the house over a year ago, the house is still full of her prescence. Her old room is cleaned daily, and is left exactly the way i
Tatiana
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of classics
Recommended to Tatiana by: Hannahr, Ryan
Books like Rebecca remind me from time to time what quality literature really is. Sometimes I forget, buried under stacks of entertaining but often poorly written popular fiction.

At first, Rebecca is very reminiscent of another favorite book of mine - Jane Eyre. The main character is a young, innocent, poor girl who falls in love with a rich older man. The happiness is so near, but the shadow of the man's first wife stands in the way of it. A family secret, a haunted mansion, a deranged servant
Vanessa
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Oh my... how I fell in love with this classic novel, I adored the main protagonist and felt she was fully developed as a character. Her constant ruminations and daydreams really set the tone it's a real trip getting to be inside her head with all her naive neurotic thoughts, which often get carried away and make for a compelling read.
It follows the main (unnamed) character when she moves to Manderley with her new husband, from the beginning she is aware that she lives in the shadow of the former
Lora
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classics from the early - mid 20th century
Recommended to Lora by: Arlene, Wendy, my love for all things Gothic and romantic
Rebecca is a classic tale that weaves mystery, secrets, and romance into an intricate and stunning twine. It tells the story of a young girl who is swept off her feet by a much older man with money and possessions aplenty — and even more heartache in his recent past.
Since his wife's tragic death eight months ago, Maxim de Winter has been doing everything he can to forget the horrific part of his past that has left him feeling bereft of happiness and aloof from others.
But even with this kind of
Jean
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."

This beautiful first line is instantly recognisable, and has passed into our culture. Like all great openings it captures our imagination and makes us want to read more. The rhythm is insistent, the mention of dreams intrigues us and the word "Manderley" echoes somewhere in our subconscious. We are already in danger of falling under Daphne Du Maurier's hypnotic spell.

Generally regarded as Daphne du Maurier's masterpiece, Rebecca has never been out
Alex is The Romance Fox
 photo rebecca-opening-title-512x384_zps08218832.jpg
So, how many times have you read Rebecca? Once, twice or no longer remember the numbers like me!! What!!! You have never read it!!!!! If there is one book that one has to read, this is the one. First published in April 1938, photo DaphneDuMaurier_Rebecca_first_zps89a85d5b.jpg (it has never been out of print) it still remains an amazing and “current” read today, which grabs you one of the most famous and memorable sentences ever written.
 photo rebeccamanderley_zps717cd64a.jpg
The padlocked gate photo images1_zps292435a5.jpg opens and you follow the long drive when you suddenly – Manderley……..a silent and dark hou
Samadrita
If I found myself in Interstellar's tesseract by a quirk of fate, then chances are I might leave a coded message for my younger self to read Rebecca asap. Since my ill-informed, younger self was not put off by cloyingly sentimental narrators who make the experience of 'tell don't show' all the more grating or the gender politics underpinning a work, her reaction to the book would have been more in tune with the multitude of gushing reviews on GR and elsewhere.
My heart, for all its anxiety and d
Emily May
Rebecca is just a great story that never gets old. Great characters, great writing... it remains one of my all time favourites and I seem to appreciate something new every time I return to it.
Nayra.Hassan
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, classic
عندما تتحول الرواية الى هاجس يؤرقك من ان لاخر..عند الوفاة المفاجئة لاحدى معارفك..عند زيارتك لمزرعة وحبذا لو كانت بانجلترا..عندما ترى زوجين من هذا النمط اللامع السعيد الذي يثير حسد الجميع
..إنها ريبيكا. .الرواية الوحيدة التي تمنيت لو كنت كتبتها انا!! هناك جزء منها كتبته دافني دي مورييه بالإسكندرية اثناء اقامتها بها..

ريبيكا عن القهر في اعتى صوره
قهر النساء للرجال..قهر النساء للنساء..قهر الإنسان لنفسه عندما تصل قناعتك انك بانتحارك ستسدي خدمة لكل من حولك...فتخلصهم من ضعفك و غباءك و قلة حيلتك

Last night
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
"Γιατί τα σκυλιά να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να κλάψεις; Η συμπόνια τους έχει κάτι το τόσο σιωπηλό και το τόσο απελπισμένο. Ηξερε ο Τζάσπερ ότι έτρεχε κάτι κακό, όπως όλα τα σκυλιά...»

Τι τρυφερή και ανεπιτήδευτη γραφή; Τι καταιγιστικές εξελίξεις; Ολοκληρωμένοι χαρακτήρες αποτύπωμενοι με τόση αληθοφάνεια που σίγουρα ταυτίζονται με υπαρκτά πρόσωπα, οικεία,αγαπημένα ή μισητά. Όλη η υπόθεση ξετυλίγεται με μεγάλη γοητεία,αβίαστα και αυθόρμητα.
Ατμόσφαιρα μυστηρίου, πάθη,λάθη,μυστικά,εναλλαγή καλού-κακού,
Iris P

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Every year I promise myself that I will include some literary classics in my reading list and every year I fail miserably. 2016 was no exception, although in my defense I wasn't very engaged in reading for a good part of it. But I digress.

Going by many comments I've read in Goodreads, it seems that Rebecca is one of those "aspirational" books that live perennially in our to-read shelves but that many of us never actually read.

I am not sure what finally prod me to get out of my comfort z
Cheryl
Manderley, "today we we pass on, we see it no more, and we are different, changed in some infinitesimal way. We can never be quite the same again." It's such a sensation, when you read a book and a place is so memorable that it stays with you. To have place, plot, and person in such congruency, this is a treat; it is when you know an author is at her best. When I remember this book, I won't think of Rebecca, the deceased wife, nor will I recall the nameless narrator and gullible young bride o ...more
Algernon
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me.

This is one of the best opening lines ever. In fact, I found the whole fist chapter to be amazing in terms of setting up the scenery and the mood of the story. We know this a personal narration of some undefined dramatic event. We know the narrator has a powerful imagination and is prone to flights of fancy. We know that
Andrei Bădică
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STELE MARI!!! Mi-a plăcut foarte mult! Recomand cu drag 😉
" L-am privit peste paharul cu citronadă. Nu-mi era ușor să dau explicații despre tatăl meu și, de obicei, nu vorbeam aproape niciodată despre el. Era tezaurul meu secret. Îl păstram numai pentru mine, la fel cum era și Manderley pentru vecinul meu de masă. Nu doream să-l prezint într-o doară, la o masă de restaurant din Monte Carlo."
" Noaptea trecută mi-o arătase cât se putea de clar. Căsnicia mea eșuase. Toate lucrurile pe care le-ar f
Libby
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, gothic
Candace
Review to come.
Henry Avila
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manderley... a mist on the hill, an unreal mansion, dark, threatening, unfathomable, unreachable, a thing that can not exist, only seen through a dream, a mirage, that will pass into the night, and float into nothingness, a nightmarish, chilling legend, that will continue, but the reality never discovered, for a myth has no answers just questions...Maximilian (Maxim) de Winter is a sad English widower, at 42, living an aimless life, travelling to forget, but can't, staying in a Monte Carlo hotel ...more
*TANYA*
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017
Wow!!! Rebecca, is a FANTASTIC book!!! The twists, secrets, and that freakishly eerie house! Gah!!! I gasped and felt dread till the very end!!!
Dem
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daphne du Maurier's classic novel "Rebecca" is, a hauntingly beautiful piece of writing that makes the hairs stand on the back of your neck, that wants you snuggle up on the couch with a blanket on a wet Saturday afternoon and indulge in world of suspense and mystery and forget you have a million other things you should be doing.

I read this novel about 10 years ago and I just read it again for a local book club read and I must admit could not remember anything from the first time I read it so
Around the Year i...: Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier 55 135 5 hours, 29 min ago
Is Mrs. DeWinters #2 a weak character? 11 166 Sep 19, 2017 02:21AM
Books and Jams Re...: Chapter 21-End 16 34 Sep 06, 2017 07:24AM
Books and Jams Re...: Chapters 9-15 8 19 Sep 04, 2017 12:00PM
Goodreads Italia: GdL Narrativa Aprile 2017: Rebecca la prima moglie di Daphne du Maurier - Commenti e discussione 140 159 Sep 02, 2017 04:57AM
  • Nine Coaches Waiting
  • The French Lieutenant's Woman
  • Cold Comfort Farm
  • Lady Audley's Secret
  • I Capture the Castle
  • In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
  • Someone at a Distance
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle
  • Katherine
  • The Lodger
  • Mrs. Miniver
  • A Town Like Alice
  • Gothic Tales
2001717
If Daphne du Maurier had written only Rebecca, she would still be one of the great shapers of popular culture and the modern imagination. Few writers have created more magical and mysterious places than Jamaica Inn and Manderley, buildings invested with a rich character that gives them a memorable life of their own.

In many ways the life of Daphne du Maurier resembles a fairy tale. Born into a fami
More about Daphne du Maurier...

147 trivia questions
6 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.” 1818 likes
“If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.” 1457 likes