Start by marking “Twilight Director's Notebook” as Want to Read:
Twilight Director's Notebook

Twilight Director's Notebook

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  92,809 Ratings  ·  442 Reviews
In this book you'll follow me through the creative process that went into making Stephenie Meyer's hypnotic novel come alive on-screen. Get the inside scoop on the wardrobe, storyboard sketches, behind-the-scenes photographs, and personal notes about making my favourite scenes.
Published 2009 by ATOM

Thomas Andrikus
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight fans, Aspiring moviemakers
Before I start, let me clarify one thing here: I am not, and never will be, a Twilight fan.

I have read all four books and watched three of the movies, and I have to admit that though the books are not necessarily as great as those teenage girls claim to be, the first Twilight movie does show a quality moviemaking.

There, I said it. The first Twilight movie is superb.

Which is the reason I got curious of this book, where the director Catherine Hardwicke compiles a huge stack of handwritten notes wi
Rebecca McNutt
I really didn't like any of the Twilight novels or film adaptations (though I'm considering giving them a second chance in the near future since I was only ten years old the first time I read them), but when I was in grade 5 and the first film came out, it was all the rage in a bad way. The good news is, this collection of film-based sketches and drawings is actually quite beautiful, which surprised me. The drawings and photographs were all interesting to see. I'm not sure if that means there's ...more
Lena Tumasyan
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight fans, movie-making fans, future directors and wannabes
I got this book as a gift from a friend and I loved it!!

Let me start out by saying, that although I am a Twilight fan, and I have read the books, I am NOT the biggest fan in the world. And out of all the Twilight movies, the 1st one is definitely my favorite. It has a certain feel that is just not replicated anywhere else, not in the other 3 movies and not in other movies I've seen. All the diagonal shots, the cool tones, the small home-town feel, it was just magical. So, I was very excited to r
Gerasimos
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
If you love the movies and the books, and if you are interested in how directors direct movies you should get this one. Plus, it is full with beautiful, artistic never before seen photos.
Megan
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight fans
Shelves: non-fiction
Catherine Hardwicke is nothing, if not passionate about her movie "Twilight". This behind-the-scenes glimpse into the world she helped to visually create was fascinating and informative. Hardwicke graciously shares with us her journey through the creative process, and all the complicated details that go into making a film.

Filled with lots of gorgeous photos (Edward!), clever notes, storyboard sketches, and enough movie magic information and trivia to please even the most rabid Stephenie Meyer f
ChiLoveReading
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my bf sent me this book and i was like omg this book is so awesome, i saw their sketches and follow them through the creative process and everything before a completely of this movie. i love art, sketch and drawing and you know what in this book their line are so great, perfect sketch. remind me thinking of when i was studies in art university on making film class ;)
Jenn
Apr 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, non-fiction
skimmed it for booktalks... fun facts... will keep fans going
Immortal Fiction
I excited bought this from Borders on March 17 (while celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary!) My first impression? GEEZ! Could it be any smaller and still show photos? Typical 5×7 paperback novel size, thinner than most. Nice hardback cover, but you’ll break the spine trying to see Rob Pattinson’s face in both of the two-page spreads where Edward is faceless or headless.

I bought it of course. They knew it was a sure thing for collections if nothing else but its also full of very cool photos, d
Maggie
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight Lovers
Shelves: favorites, july-09
I love Twilight, and I thought the movie was great. Now, I've really enjoyed going through Catherine Hardwicke's journal. She is so passionate about making the movie, correctly, and she put so much hard work into it.

First off, I absolutely love the drawings and the storyboard sketchings. They really gave me a new perspective on the behind-the-scenes of Twilight. The costume designs were awesome! I think they were my favorite part. I also really enjoyed reading about how they made the favorite s
Hannah
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GOOD
TwiHardGirl
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I now know EVERYTHING, Catherine Hardwicke! Mwhahahaha!!!! Brilliant book :)
Abi Holligan
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessica Purvis
I got this book for my birthday and found it really fascinating, it's basically a book about how they made twilight, there was sketches everywhere of what they wanted characters to look like initially and it tells you all sorts of things like why they couldn't film in certain places. It's written by director Catherine Hardwicke and she shows things from what's in her bag(?) to where she got insipiration(her sisters paintings) It really does look like a scrap book, there is some writing to read o ...more
Narmitha
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-reads
This book shows the making of the twilight movie. This includes all of the characters and how they went through make up clothing and hair. They also show how all the actors and actresses who were gonna play the vampires and how they got ready to make them look like actual vampires ( pale skin gold eyes sleepless but good looking ). This book also shows how they filmed the baseball scene and te costumes. Also this book shows how they filmed, what they say, the hardest scene of the whole movie, wh ...more
Kendra /Books Complete Me
I am a true blue Twilight fan. I am what some would call obsessed. I am a Twilight Mom. I was disappointed in the movie. The only reason I read this book was so I could see what CH might have been thinking when she did some of the things she did in the movie. It didn't help, although there were some things in the book showing things she was thinking of putting in the movie that I am glad she didn't. The book itself was interesting in the fact that it showed some of the process of filming a movie ...more
Tina
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight Fans
Recommended to Tina by: My Mother
Shelves: movies
Lots of pictures and graphics from Hardwicke's notebook. Inside look into the behind the scenes tricks used to create some of the special effects.

I was not a fan of the movie, but a big fan of the book. There were parts of the movie (not from book) added that I didn't care for. This book gives you an inside look as to why the director added certain scenes, what she was trying to convey. This helped me get a better understanding. It's interesting in its self to see all that goes into shooting a
Estefani at Fiction Jungle
I was rearranging my bookshelf, and somehow I always forget that I have this. I bought it after reading Twilight, like...seven years ago, when I used to like the series, but this little companion notebook by the director of the first movie. It's actually really cool, it has sketches and art boards, sketches of how the characters and places should look like, how they made some of the scenes, as well as cinematic aspects of the film, that are entertaining to see.
Holly Foley (Procida)
I am interested in film-making after watching my daughter act in some films. For a while it ruined watching movies because you envision the camera and set instead of immersing yourself in the story. I read this before seeing Twilight but that just made watching the film more interesting. The filmmakers true love of the story also came through in this book. It was enjoyable!
Redfox5
This book is very pretty and well presented and it was a nice way to spend an hour. But I didn't feel like a came away with much I didn't already know. Offers you a very slight look into directing a film. Storyboards and sketches scattered throughout but not much actual writing. One for the die hard Twilight fans.
AH
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight Fans
My neighbor was cleaning out her garage and gave this book to me.

Nice photos, but we've seen them already.
Difficult to read as it is written in teeny tiny handwriting.

Good for - the Twilight Fan.
Lee Junior
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about The Twilight
Danielle
This was a pretty cool book. it was interesting to see how Catherine made the movie and how they went about everything.
Vanessa
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Catherine Hardwicke é a diretora mais fofa do século! Ninguém surta tanto pela própria cama como essa mulher surtou por causa de Robsten. É muito interessante ler os comentários dela, as curiosidades do set, todas as pesquisas que fez, imprevistos que enfrentou, objetos que a inspiraram a criar os cenários, etc. É um livro muito bacana pros fãs, bem como para qualquer pessoa que se interesse por essa carreira.
Miranda Meyers
This book was genuinely interesting. I really like looking into how movies were made, what all went into every scene, why things looked the way it did, why they chose to change or present certain aspects. I wouldn't say I liked the actual Twilight movies, but the filming process and production was pretty insightful and interesting and did make me want to rewatch the movie to see certain aspects of action, I found more of an appreciation for the way the film was made. I'd suggest this for anyone ...more
Waverly Nyx
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was actually really interesting to get into. I only brought it today, but upon flicking through it I found myself saying "oooh" and "ahhh" quite a lot that I couldn't resist but to sit down and read it. I found out so much that I had no idea was even a thing about the making of twilight. So much information my inner nerd is loving it.
Morgan Kool
I think this book was fantastic. It showed how the characters were originally designed and how they changed. It was very informative on how they made the movie and other stuff. I hope to get the notebook for all the other twilight books/movies.
Jen
I randomly came across this in the library and decided, why not? This will make you appreciate just how much work goes into making a movie. I like that this director is really into the details, which is important when you're making a book into a movie. Definitely recommended for fans of Twilight.
Jasmine
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! A must read for fans of twilight and/or people interested in film. This book gave me an insight as to how much thought and all the different aspects that I would never have thought of as to making a film. I love Twilight!
Adriel
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written book. Enjoyed reading it.
Ian
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little short but cool!
So many details I never saw on the movie I found them here. Not only about the movie itself but as a directors vision and "talk" is a good book.
Florence
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written book. Enjoyed reading it.
Twilight review 1 3 Dec 19, 2013 07:12PM
Twilight review 1 3 Dec 19, 2013 07:12PM
  • The Twilight Companion: The Unauthorized Guide to the Series
  • Twilight and Philosophy: Vampires, Vegetarians, and the Pursuit of Immortality
  • New Moon: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion (The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion, #2)
  • The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide (Twilight, #4.5)
  • Twilight and History
  • Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1 (Twilight: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • The Twilight Saga: The Complete Film Archive: Memories, Mementos, and Other Treasures from the Creative Team Behind the Beloved Motion Pictures
  • Love You to Death: The Unofficial Companion to the Vampire Diaries
  • The World of the Hunger Games
  • Robert Pattinson: True Love Never Dies
  • The Hunger Games Tribute Guide
  • Origins (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #1)
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • Love Bites: The Unofficial Saga of Twilight
  • The Psychology of Twilight
  • Twilite: A Parody
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy
Catherine Hardwicke (born Helen Catherine Hardwicke; October 21, 1955) is an American production designer and film director. Her works include the independent film Thirteen, the Biblically-themed The Nativity Story, and the vampire film Twilight.

Hardwicke was born in Cameron, Texas, the daughter of Jamee Elberta (née Bennett) and John Benjamin Hardwicke. She grew up in McAllen, Texas and is a Chr
More about Catherine Hardwicke...