Start by marking “Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)

Blood Moon

(Inspector Challis #5)

Challis and his team investigate the brutal beating of the chaplain of a prestigious school and the murder of the woman in charge of punishing local land use violations. But will Hal Challis and Ellen Destry’s new romantic relationship interfere with their work?
Published 2009 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Moon

Jenny
Blood Moon is the fifth book in the Inspector Challis series by Garry Disher. During schoolies week on the Mornington Peninsular, a School's chaplain was beating. Inspector Challis and Ellen Destry is on the case to find out who did it and during the investigation, a murder was committed. Readers of Blood Moon will continue to follow Inspector Challis and Sergeant Ellen Destry investigation into the killing and the assault on the chaplain.

Blood Moon is the four book I have read in this series, a
Bettie
Paula
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent,solid series.
Lewis Weinstein
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Several years ago, on a trip to Australia, I read some local authors. I couldn't get absorbed by Tom Winton, but Garry Disher turned out to be a really good storyteller. His books tended to be expensive in the U.S., but now they are on kindle.

Blood Moon starts out slowly, with many different characters going through their daily lives. Of course some turn out to be criminals and their victims. Others are the engaging and sometimes quite flawed detectives of the Waterloo force, all of whom I remem
David
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Hal Challis series gets bigger and better with each outing. I love the character development and the personality flaws in the good guys, who are far from the stereotypical perfect crusaders against crime. A well-written, multi-layered Australian police procedural with a definite dose of grit and realism.
Karen
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Hal Challis series is really growing into something particularly interesting, as well as entertaining. There's a distinct edge to this story, there are obviously some issues which the author wants to talk about, and he's cleverly worked a number of elements of social observation and commentary into what is, overall, a good solid police procedural.

Hal and Ellen's romantic interest at the end of the last book has developed into a live-in relationship. Which has a number of complications - not
Spuddie
Another enjoyable entry in this Australian series (I'm using it for my 2015 book challenge for the 'read a book set in a place you want to visit' category) in which DI Hal Challis has his personal life complicated by setting up house with his Sergeant, Ellen Destry. Trying to keep this under wraps in a working situation as insular as a small CIU office is more than challenging, especially during the course of several complicated investigations.

I haven't read any of this author's stand-alone nove
Cathleen
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
He's become one of my favorite mystery writers. He writes police procedurals set in Australia, usually Victoria, and the character development over time is rich and complicated.
Ilene Harris
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hal Challis heads a criminal investigation unit at a seaside resort. At the end of the school year, the graduates from high school, referred to as 12 year schoolies, flock to the beach and Hal and his people are kept busy trying to keep them out of trouble. In addition to that, they are trying to solve two crimes. One, the severe beating of a disliked school chaplain and the other over the demolition of an historic landmark. Hal and his staff are very likable people and we get a look into their ...more
Kelly Callaghan
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Hal and the team are called to the beating of the chaplain at a private school. The brother of the victim works for the local (anti police) member of parliament. So the matter must be handled delicately.

Meanwhile it’s Schoolies week and as well as the rise in petty crime there has been a number of rapes. Pam Murphy is working the round whilst getting to know the new young constable.

A historic house has been bulldozed the day before a preservation order is to be considered. At the same time the
Fiona
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I love Garry Disher and Chalis and this was well constructed Disher writes about the Mornington Peninsula and Melbourne All sorts have arrived,schoolies, toolies and the developers. Sexual politics,sex crimes and relationships. It is another rich tapestry elegant and clever.
I am reading right through Gary Dishers back catalogue and just devour them.
Judith
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I need to take a break from Destry and Challis. I love that they're together again but I've been seriously bingeing on Disher's Peninsula Crime Series. Have to love a local story and they are all great stories with real page turning drive but I seriously need to vary my diet from crime and Peninsu crime especially. At least a two week break called for.
thestarsailor
It didn't seem to have many cheap tricks but the story was just bland. I read this because it was said to be a cut above the usual police procedural, but I don't see it at all. It's probably more interesting if you live in the area.
Lexine
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each Inspector Challis books is better than the last! The characters are fully drawn, the descriptions of Australia are detailed, and the intricacies of the plot are riveting. I read this one in two days! More!!
Mike Vines
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder, marital and sexual abuse and an intriguing investigating pair, Inspector Challis and Detective Destry, co-workers and lovers. Great Australian location, compelling antagonists, and creative revenge. Great read!
Sue Pratt
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loving this crime series set on the Morninton Peninsula. Blood Moon is number 5 in the series and didn't disappoint with the usual ascerbic insights into the local area close to where I live. Looking forward to starting the next one in the series.
Noreen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book - one of the better ones invited the series
Janettef
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Always love a good Victorian coastal story. This one was great, very well drawn characters and a plot that was believable and current.
Noreen
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Peter Anderson
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Up until now I have rated Garry Disher books as five stars; however, I did not find Blood Moon as satisfying as all the previous Challis and Destry novels. The writing is still the same very high standard but there was something about the plot that didn't seem as satisfying. Maybe its because I recently finished Chain of Evidence and went straight onto this book. Usually I like to read several other authors before I come back to the next book in a series - who knows.

Blood Moon opens with an intr
Kathleen Hagen
Blood Moon, by Gary disher, B-plus, narrated by Colin McPhillamy, produced by Recorded Books, downloaded from audible.com.

In this entry from his popular Challis/Destry series, passion complicates matters for the two Australian officers. Now that they are lovers, Detective
Inspector Hal Challis and Sergeant Ellen Destry must keep theiraffair secret, for romantic relationships are strictly forbidden by department regulations.
Trying to keep their professional and personal lives separate, they invest
Ed
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
#5 in the Hal Challis series. Australian police inspector Challis has been living with Sergeant Ellen Destry since he returned from his father's funeral, Chain of Evidence (2007). When he is confronted about this breach of regulations by Superintendent McQuarrie, he expects one of them to be fired or transferred to "Outer Woop-Woop". However, McQuarrie was impressed by Ellen's handling of a child molestation case while Challis was away and proposes promoting her to Senior Sergeant and being put ...more
Rob Kitchin
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I started Blood Moon three times and on the third go I still put it to one side twice to read other books. I tend to read fiction exclusively, so this is a clear sign of ambivalence. I did, however, eventually get to the end. It’s a book that I should have liked – a relatively big cast of actors, multiple story lines, police procedural bleeding through into everyday lives of coppers – but I just never really connected with the story. I’m not really sure why – the writing was competent although n ...more
Guy Salvidge
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
My first Garry Disher novel. I'm a fan. This is the fifth or sixth in the Challis/Destry series, but it didn't seem to matter that I hadn't read the earlier novels. This is a standard police procedural set in country Victoria, but it's a well written novel and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fast paced without being outlandish in any way, I read it in less than 24 hours, and now I'm keen for some more Garry Disher. Apparently he's written more than a dozen crime novels and perhaps 40 books in total. T ...more
Tyson Adams
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm known for being on the cutting edge, for having my finger on the pulse; for example, I just bought a smart phone. It isn't really surprising to learn that I've only recently discovered Gary Disher's work, despite him having been an award winning author since before I entered highschool.

The first novel I read of Gary's was Wyatt, after hearing him speak at the Sydney Writers' Festival. I enjoyed that novel and now have plenty of good novels to catch up on.

This is my first Challis and Destry n
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian, crime
Latest in the Hal Challis crime novels set on the Mornington Peninsula at Waterloo. Hal and Ellen Destry are giving living together a go - a young girl recognizes her rapist from last years' Schoolies and decides to get revenge (great revenge too) - a controlling husband follows his wife as she tries to do her job of Planning infringement officer - Pam Murphy finds a new copper attractive and starts a fling with him (with disastrous consequences for him when he posts nasty photos on the internet ...more
Martina
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garry Disher's Hall Challis #5. I love this series set in Australia. And Disher is such a nice person!

He did an event at our bookstore some time ago along with Cara Black! What a night THAT was. We read The Dragon Man with the Mystery Book Group. Just a terrific series!

After I started reading this, I realized that I'd read part of the book in 2009. Still this is an important book in the series bringing Hal, Ellen, and Pam in particular into sharper focus. Scobie and Tank have their moments too.
CriminalRepurcussions
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. One of the best I've read.
For this series, which I recommend you read from the first book The Dragon Man, right through, you'll enjoy the locations. Disher writes "locally" : the Mornington Peninsula region of Victoria.

This story is one of the best in his Inspector Challis series, and you can picture yourself right there, and feel every parent's dread about the mayhem of Schoolies Week.

Disher is one of Aust's leading crime writers, with awards to his name.
In my view, Australia's best
Ed Napiorkowski
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another thoroughly entertaining read and easy to award four stars. Though a self contained book for those who has been there from the start it is great to be rewarded by character development and interactions building from the earlier stories in the series. The author spins a good yarn (tells a good story) and portrays people in an honest fashion I find refreshing. Multiple themes and character interactions, plots not overly complex and therefore believable, simple honest story telling. I do enj ...more
Our Library Mornington
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: we-recommend
This is the fitfth book in the Challis and Destry series.

It is set on the Mornington Peninsula, so the Library mentioned is one of our own branches. It is interesting to try to figure out exactly where you are geographically, comparing the township of Waterloo in the novel to Hastings (both historial battles). There are several story strands intertwined masterfully, the abusive husband, schoolies, drugs, work relationships, lust and romance.

I would recommend beginning with the furst in the serie

• St Kilda Blues (Charlie Berlin, #3)
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic, #2)
  • The Dying Trade (Cliff Hardy, #1)
  • An Iron Rose
  • The Old School
  • Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • The Brush Off (Murray Whelan, #2)
  • Marlborough Man
  • Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5)
Garry Disher was born in 1949 and grew up on his parents' farm in South Australia.

He gained post graduate degrees from Adelaide and Melbourne Universities. In 1978 he was awarded a creative writing fellowship to Stanford University, where he wrote his first short story collection. He travelled widely overseas, before returning to Australia, where he taught creative writing, finally becoming a full

Inspector Challis (7 books)
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • Chain of Evidence (Inspector Challis, #4)
  • Whispering Death (Inspector Challis, #6)
  • Signal Loss (Inspector Challis, #7)