Start by marking “Moving Day (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moving Day (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #1)

Moving Day (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  5,797 Ratings  ·  509 Reviews
When nine-year-old Allie Finkle's parents announce that they are moving her and her brothers from their suburban split-level into an ancient Victorian in town, Allie's sure her life is over. She's not at all happy about having to give up her pretty pink wall-to-wall carpeting for creaky floorboards and creepy secret passageways-not to mention leaving her modern, state-of-t ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published March 1st 2008)

Sarah BT
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am impressed with Meg Cabot's voice in this series. She typically writes for teens, so I wasn't sure if her writing would translate well to the tween set, but I found Allie to be a pitch perfect tween. Her worries about friends, her new house, and school are all things that are important to tweens and Meg Cabot doesn't trivialize any of Allie's fears. They're all a big deal to her and that's ok and understandable.

I found that there was a lot happening in this novel-from Allie's worries about
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 3-5
Recommended to Sarah by: chick lit
In order to create some sense in her life, 9-year-old Allie Finkle decides to create a list of rules to live by, including such rules as: ‘Don’t stick a spatula down your best friend’s throat’, ‘Never eat anything red’, and ‘You can’t take your rocks with you.’

This list is even more helpful to Allie when she finds out that her family is moving to a huge, old house across town. She doesn’t want to move!...even though a Dairy Queen is right around the corner, she’ll be allowed to get a new pet kit
Kaylynn
i am really liking this book so far my favorite part was on page 2 when Allie stuck the spatula down Mary kay's throat that was one of the rules.I think that these are really funny.I just decided to read this because a girl in my class read it and said it was really good.And she's rigt so far.I think this book is realistic fiction because the events in this book could really happen to people.Like anyone could be moving.And anyone could get in a fight with their best friend.

November 18 2009

My l
Justine
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is totally AWESOME!! I really, really like it and I bet I will like the other books! It was REALLY, REALLY GREAT!
Valeria Ambriz
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that girls do rock and I agree with her and all the rules she has but I don't think that she rules for girls I think it was a good book for girls wh like funny books and chapter books. when they move from house hoe she and her brother get when their parents tell them they have to move from house.
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this book and she has alot of good rules
Claire
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good series.
Adama
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Namratha
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: tween-time
Meg Cabot is the undisputed Queen of Ya-Lit. She has churned out feisty teens who have attitude-to-burn and steady-heads on their troubled shoulders. Her plot-lines entwine urban culture with witty comebacks and situations which actually make you snort with glee.

I have found that her books make fantastic gifts for preteens, teens and the odd discerning adult female friend. The Allie Finkle series has been out for quite some time now, but I never picked it up because somewhere I clung to the vain
Los Gatos Library
Nine year old Allie keeps a list of rules to remind her how to be a good person and a good friend. She knows that even good people sometimes have a hard time remembering all the rules, like "never stick a spatula down your friend's throat." When her parents announce they have bought a new house (which Allie is sure is infested with a zombie hand), Allie does all she can to prevent them from moving. She's not wild about her school or her best friend, but she knows being the new kid won't be great ...more
Ella,D
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving Day is about a nine year old girl named Allie who is moving to a new house. Allie went to her best friend Mary kay's house to make cupcakes for her birthday. Mary kay does not want Allie to leave. Either does Allie. Allie's family went to see their new house and Allie met a girl her age. Her name was Erika. Erika went to the same school that Allie was going to, this new year. Ericka's brother told Allie that their house was haunted. But over time she saw that the house was not haunted and ...more
Heather
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allie Finkle is adorable! This combination tomboy/girlygirl 4th grader has a very authentic, down-to-earth voice. In this first book of the series, Allie learns that her family will be moving...into an old Victorian style house (that is possibly haunted). And one of Allie's rules is that you can't let your family move into a haunted house. (The book is full of rules to live by. Some practical and some just quirky Allie-funness). Her escapades with pets, friends, and family were very entertaining ...more
Alyssa Dempsey
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good. It is about a girl named Allie. Her parents decide to move to a bigger house in a different part of the city. Allie finds out from the kid next door that the house is very scary. Now she wants to convince her parents that there is something scary going on in the attic because she wants to move back to the old house they lived in. She misses her old friends and tries to do anything to move back to the old house. You need to read the book to find out if there was something ...more
Janette
This was a cute story. Girls who grew up on Junie B Jones but are ready for bigger books will find a heroine that feels familiar in Ally Finkle. She has the same spunk and general disregard for rules as Junie B.

I think my favorite part of the book was the fact that Ally lists the rules she learns from her experiences. That's a nice jumping off point for a mother-daughter book discussion on rules.
Lauren
I went through periods of listening to this just to know what Allie Finkle's all about to several laugh-out-loud moments (guiltily, I admit, most of them were gross kid moments that I also thought were extremely funny.) It was a'ight. Would try another book in this series on for size. Could be the next Ramona, you never know.
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book
I hope I can read the next one!!!!
The book was awesome!!!!!!
I'm glad I read this book. It was DEFINITELY worth my time!!
Megan
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing
Alexis
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i thought this book was good. i liked it but not on my top ten list
birdie22
I thought it was really funny. Sometimes she almost can relate to me. I also like the author. This is a pretty good book.
S
I loved listening to this series on audio book when I was like 10.
Zeina Daker
Dec 01, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book in my class with my friends, and I really was interested in Meg 's books.
When i finish all my books in my house, I will buy all Allie fickle's books. ❤❤
Kaitlyn Peek
LOVED this series when I was little!!!
Hannah
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2017
This was one of my favorite books when I was in middle school, and reading it as an adult was just as fun! Allie feels like a throughly three-dimensional character whose voice leaps off the pages.

While the book is intended for juvenile audiences, adults can definitely enjoy reading this too. Allie is funny throughout the entire book, and many of her rules are timeless.
Shayna
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like Allie Finkle's Self-Righteous Rules for Herself. It has a good amount of realistic fiction appeal, and she has a good point sometimes. But other times she gives really bad advice (yes, I know she's a kid, but it's still bad advice) and comes off as bratty.
Steph
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: isd-library, g3
I can see myself recommending this book to 4th and 5th grade students. Allie conquers irrational fears of zombie hands, learns how to deal with selfish friends, has a love of science, has a geode collection, rescues a turtle, and likes dairy queen. What's not to recommend?
Laarin
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skewed toward the younger YA audience. Still a classic Meg Cabot novel. I don't remember having that much drama as a 4th grader.
Jamie
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book and funny, I read this so Claire and I can read the 2nd book together.
Angel
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book
Erin
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish - Seemed like might be a nice read but "the zombie hand" was too much for a bedtime read.
C. Long
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was like all about moving and being mad and being at a new school and cats
Ally or... 15 31 Jan 15, 2015 09:06AM
Class of 2015: Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls 1 4 Jan 21, 2014 05:05PM
Meg Cabot Fan Club: Allie Finkle's Rules for Girl - Moving Day 1 4 Oct 31, 2013 01:39PM
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School
  • Eleven (The Winnie Years, #2)
  • Chrissa Stands Strong
  • Lost and Found
  • Freaky Monday
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Welcome to Camden Falls (Main Street, #1)
  • Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #1)
  • Accidentally Fabulous (Accidentally, #1; Candy Apple #12)
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • Starting with Alice (Alice Prequels #1)
  • The Sisters Club
  • Mia
  • The Legend of Spud Murphy
  • Worst Enemies/Best Friends (Beacon Street Girls, #1)
  • Eliza Bing Is (Not) a Big, Fat Quitter

More about Meg Cabot...

Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls (6 books)
  • The New Girl (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #2)
  • Best Friends and Drama Queens (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #3)
  • Stage Fright (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #4)
  • Glitter Girls and the Great Fake-Out (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #5)
  • Blast from the Past (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #6)