Start by marking “3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)” as Want to Read:
3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)

3001: The Final Odyssey

(Space Odyssey #4)

One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space, frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable. But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far different from the one he left behind--and just as the Monolith m ...more
Published October 5th 1999 by Del Rey (first published February 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about 3001, please sign up.
Jesse Lamb If your looking for plots, twists, turns, etc the Odyssey series might not be for you. The series is more like a fantasy documentary then an action…moreIf your looking for plots, twists, turns, etc the Odyssey series might not be for you. The series is more like a fantasy documentary then an action packed sci-fi thriller. (less)
Noah Ward Yes, although it leaves room for interpretation. Keeping in mind that Arthur C. Clarke will never fully explain every secret and answer to the…moreYes, although it leaves room for interpretation. Keeping in mind that Arthur C. Clarke will never fully explain every secret and answer to the universe, he definitely answers the questions that have been asked by fans for decades such as "What are the monoliths? Where do they come from? Who/what created them? What is their intention?". If you have read the first three books then the final odyssey is definitely worth reading. I feel obligated to warn you that if you haven't read the first three then don't read the last one. And whatever you do, do not read the back cover of the books if you don't want any spoilers.(less)

Ahmad Sharabiani
3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey #4), Arthur C. Clarke
3001: The Final Odyssey is a 1997 science fiction novel by British writer Arthur C. Clarke. It is the fourth and final book in Clarke's Space Odyssey series.
3001 follows the adventures of Frank Poole, the astronaut killed by the HAL 9000 computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey. One millennium later, Poole's freeze-dried body is discovered in the Kuiper belt by a comet-collecting space tug named the Goliath, and revived. Poole is taken home to
Bionic Jean
3001: The Final Odyssey is ultimately a flawed book, written to end a series which has sadly become increasingly redundant. Sad? Yes, because Arthur C. Clarke was a phenomenally good scientist with a lively imagination and the ability to craft very readable novels.

3001 is the 4th and final volume in Arthur C. Clarke’s “Odyssey” series, starting with “2001”. The other 2 books are “201o - Odyssey 2” and “2061 - Odyssey 3”. I have to admit to not having read the middle 2 books, but since Arthur C.
Henry Avila
The 4th and last of the 2001 series. Dr.Heywood Floyd is not in this novel.Even the eternal, good doctor, can't live 1,000 years.But Frank Poole, that's a horse of a different color.Frank's body is floating, floating,being pushed out into the limitless universe.Gently moving up and down,twisting, tumbling,passing numerous distant planets,asteroids,rocks.Even an occasional comet.Unseen in the darkness ,in a calm peaceful sleep.Leaving the troubled Solar System behind.What dreams he must have had. ...more
Navi
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's both amusing and sad when a book series falls flat on its face during its final leaps. The Odyssey series is, unfortunately, one of these. Except instead of attempting to get back up and trying to pretend its fall never happened, 3001 wallows in the failure, following the same idea as 2061; nothing happens. Well, nothing substantial, anyway.

Let me be the first to say that I don't mind that Frank comes back to life. It was a (sort of) logical way to show Dave's human side (sort of) while sti
David (דוד)
Fourth and the final book in the Space Odyssey saga. It was astonishing, as this book too, continues to pour the wonders and awesomeness of evolution, and future-tech alike. Unlike in Book three (2061), which lacked anything about the advancements in technology, this book makes up for it, totally!

Frank Poole's experiences after returning back a millennia later, into Star City, a ringed structure at the Geostationary Earth Orbit connected to Earth by four Space Towers at the Equator, and his lear
Hope
Aug 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
Daniel
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I jos jedna knjiga koju mi je tesko oceniti. Sa jedne strane imamo odlican opis moguce buducnosti (vrlo pozitivna buducnost) prikazane kroz oci nekoga ko dolazi iz naseg vremena. Ideje i nivo detalja u tom delu su odlicni iprosto raspiruju mastu.

Ali u druom delu knjige dobija se utisak da gosn Klark nije imao cistu viziju sta je uopste hteo da kaze sa knjigom pa citava prica ima nekako nedoreceni osecaj. Plus di je nestao Hejvud Flojd?

Ipak knjiga daje dosta odgovora ne mnoga pitanja iz prethodni
Perry Whitford
Of the two astronauts awake on the spaceship Discovery when the super-computer HAL went nuts, Frank Poole certainly drew the short straw. While Dave Bowman ended up an immortal extraterrestrial hybrid with the powers of a god, poor Poole ended up left for dead and floating off into the cold vacuum of space.

Left for dead, but not - as we discover at the start of the fourth and final Space Odyssey story - actually dead. His body frozen into an effective state of hibernation, Poole floats unconscio
David
Sep 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Finally I've reached the end of the journey ... AND WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!! -_- Never again will I pick up anything written by Clarke. Honestly I can't understand how even got published. No identifiable Lead character in most of the books, no clear objective for what lead there was, the books meander around for the most part with dated and ludicrous speculation and no confrontation until the end, and what there was of a knockout closing seemed to appear out of nowhere. Internal conflict in the ...more
Efka
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
A great ending of a series. And it's even more astonishing that Arthur C. Clarke managed to end his famous series by writing an utopia, which is not so very common a genre, isn't it? It's short, but it's really well done and the reason of taking us to the year 3001 is brilliant. Certainly 3001 is as good as 2001.
Todd
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All the pathetic earth people
Μιτς Γιωτίξ
Copy pasting from previous books instead of writing new descriptions, progressing the story only on the last 30-40 pages and closing this awesome series with a bland ending. Needless to say, it was a kind of a let down, unlike the first and second books which were AMAZING. I seriously hope that Clarke doesn't do the same "mistakes" in his other books because I seriously enjoy his writing style and subjects.
I'm giving it 3 stars instead of 2 because of Clarke's presentation of future humanity, an
Brendagarza
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lecturas-2018
Clarke hace en este libro una analogía retrospectiva del mundo actual vista desde el futuro, de lo que es nuestra sociedad actualmente, política, religiosa y socialmente, hace un recuento de temas de alimentación, avances tecnológicos y medio ambiente y como el ser humano ha enfrentado a través de esos mil años cada uno de esos temas. Si bien no nos dibuja un futuro utópico, tampoco es distópico, es únicamente el avance de la raza humana a través de su sociedad, pero sobre todo tecnológica. Es c ...more
دانیال بهزادی
با اون وضعی که کتاب سوم تموم شد، انتظار داشتم این کتاب بلافاصله در ادامهٔ اون باشه. ولی داستان کتاب چهارم، ده قرن بعد از کتاب سومه و حتا به وقایع اون کتاب وفادار هم نیست. برای مثال در انتهای کتاب سوم خوندیم که لوسیفر خاموش میشه، ولی در این کتاب همچنان داره به ستارگی خودش ادامه میده. نمیتونم بگم اگه کتاب رو نميخوندم بهتر بود،ولی واقعاُ از کلارک انتظار بیشتری داشتم.
البته در این کتاب هم به قدر کافی عناصر فلسفی و تفکرزا وجود داشت که شاید کسی فکر کنه این نمرهٔ پایین در شأنش نیست، ولی از اونجایی که رو
Todd
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The late Arthur C. Clarke is one of my favorite science fiction writers and 2001: A Space Odyssey, based on an earlier short story of his, The Sentinel (1948), has always been something of a spiritual experience for me, even though I am not prone to spiritual experiences. But, given the prescient depiction of the moon and our galaxy in those pre-Apollo mission days, both film and book are breathtaking.
For this current generation reared on CGI animation and blockbuster special effects and IMAX,
T
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
3001: The Final Odyssey brings Arthur C. Clarke's famed series to a merciful end, closing out what was perhaps a misguided effort from the beginning, or at least from 14 years after the first book, when a sequel was written.

Trouble began brewing in the Odyssey series with the release of 2010: Odyssey Two, in which Clarke decided to abandon all differences between the previous book and the movie version, and act as though only the movie events had occurred. As someone who greatly preferred the bo
Stella
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This may be my favorite Odyssey. (although I thought that after each of the Odyssey books)
But really, I am just so thrilled with this one, how genius to bring back Frank Poole from the dead and to put the 21st century scientist in the 31st century.
I savored every word, every image, really and it read so plausible.
Hope we will achieve that society from 31 century. (Clarke seems to think so in other of his books, there is always some kind of Utopia there)

Check this out:
"It was generally agreed t
Nahid Hasan
Mninha
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es complicado valorar esta novela como una obra independiente porque en realidad no es más que el epílogo a la historia que comenzó 30 años antes, con 2001. Como título independiente, se antoja un poco flojo, aunque es interesante leer cómo imagina Arthur C. Clarke que habrá sido este milenio que acabamos de comenzar y también cómo arrancará el siguiente (sobre todo los ingenios tecnológicos en la Tierra y en el resto del Sistema Solar que anticipa).

Como epílogo, es un buen cierre a la serie, r
Reza Qalandari
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
خب باید بگم که خوندنش از گروهان هم بیشتر طول کشید
هرکاری کردم نتونستم جذبش شم ، ینی صرفا تخیل بود نه هیجان ، البته خلاقیت نویسنده بیداد میکرد.
ولی در برخی جاها چنان به خودش سخت میگرفت و از کلممات سختی برای توصیف استفاده میکرد که نمیتونستم چیزی رو به تصور کنم.
شاید هم بخاطر ترجمه قدیمیش بود
ولی از فصل هایی که از زبان فرانک پول بودند تا دانای کل ، بیشتر لذت میبردم
یه نکته کوچیک هم داشت که نظرم رو جلب کرد . در فصل 37 ، نویسنده بطور غیر مستقیم به الن تیورینگ اشاره کرده بود که خیلی خوشم اومد و باعث ش
Riju Ganguly
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Nah, this particular volume has nothing to do with 2001 or its events, except for sharing certain names. It is a futuristic vision of earth: rather alluring, but not very likely to materialise in near future. After the highs of the first few books in the series, this was definitely a damp squib.
Peter Tillman
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 1998 review:

"3001" has accumulated mixed reviews, perhaps because it's not really a novel: think "Looking Backward" or "Ralph 124C41+". Thankfully, it's better-written than those, but Dr. Clarke won't be remembered as a prose stylist.

The plot outline is familiar by now - Frank Poole is revived after a thousand years as a cryo-corpse - flung into space in 2001 by the malevolent HAL. He marvels at the Wonders of the World of 3001, and gets reaquainted with Dave Bowman - and HAL - within the gre
Bishnu Bhatta Buttowski
I have mixed feeling about this book.

There's this thought provoking thing I came across when I read this book.

HAS IT EVER OCCURRED IT TO YOU THAT WE MIGHT BE THE SUBJECT OF SOME EXPERIMENT PERFORMED BY INTELLIGENT SPECIES TO SEE HOW INTELLIGENT LIFE WOULD FLOURISH AND TURN OUT TO BE ON SOME PLACE, GIVEN THE FAVORABLE ENVIRONMENT BECAUSE THEIR ONLY OBJECTIVE IS SOWING THE SEEDS OF INTELLIGENCE IN THIS UNIVERSE?

Perhaps this is one thing that will prevail to you during or at the end of this book.
Saur
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Well at least Dr. Heywood Floyd was not alive thousand years later. Frank Poole, who was supposedly killed by the manic AI HAL in the first book of the series, gets rescued and revived. I found this to be less unbelievable than having Dr.Floyd be a 103-year old in the last book.

First half of the book was about Poole getting used to life in the third millenium. This was great scifi narrative and I enjoyed how for once, mankind had managed to create an utopia instead of a dystopia. Everything was
Inga
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Sākums likās ritīgi labs.
Vidū nekas nenotiek.
Beigas tādas pievilktas aiz ausīm.

Vairākas nodaļas bija copy paste no iepriekšējām sērijas daļām.
prcardi
Storyline: 2/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing Style: 3/5
World: 3/5

This was a coda more than a concluding volume.

Arthur C. Clarke was 80 years old when this was published. Throughout the reading I felt like I was listening to a speech from an aged yet highly decorated senior citizen. He would muse, he would ponder, he would pontificate on things the newer generation were already engaging with at much higher levels and newer tools. You indulge the author though because he's earned respect throughout his l
Dan
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It's a thousand years since Frank Poole's death at the metaphorical hands of HAL and humanity has entered a new golden age. A spaceship finds Poole floating deep in the solar system and with the help of 3001 technology he is revived. Poole's second life allows him to see what humanity has become and soon realizes he might be may still be able to once again meet fellow astronaut Dave Bowman, or the thing he has become anyway.

Straight away I'm afraid I must point out this last Odyssey book is the
Tim
May 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook, sci-fi
Can a whole civilization be a Mary Sue?

This book was an unfortunate reminder that, for all his imagination, Clarke remained a creature of his time. This is one of his last novels (a novella, really) and it was clearly an effort to imagine his idea of a plausible future utopia, but it fell well short on both plausibility, and utopia.

His faith in a technological ascension was so strong that it becomes detached here from humanity; so many of his conceptions of this 1000-year future society are inc
Blind_guardian
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I have quite enjoyed reading Arthur C Clarke's four-parter, but one of Clarke's tricks does not hold up well to a marathon run through the series. I noticed that every book takes large sections of text from earlier books, pasting them in as flashbacks that are word for word reproductions of what he said the first time. If there were supposed to be subtle changes from one book to the next, I didn't see any. I've only seen David Bowman's flythrough of Jupiter and visit to the oceans of Europa abou ...more
Edward Davies
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay ending to the set of books, with a story line that wasn't as confusing as some of the instalments that preceded it. That said, the ending was a little abrupt and seemed to come out of nowhere, and it would have been nice to have a more rounded finish to the series!
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • Manifold: Space (Manifold, #2)
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Venus (The Grand Tour, #18)
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Mindbridge
Arthur Charles Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King

Space Odyssey (4 books)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
“My favourite definition of an intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence.

[Sources and Acknowledgements: Chapter 19]”
368 likes