Start by marking “City Of Fear” as Want to Read:
City Of Fear

City Of Fear

(Ellie Hatcher #2)

Angel’s Tip is a riveting read that snaps with the beat of New York….A knuckle-biting journey that’ll keep you turning pages until the very end.”
—Faye Kellerman, bestselling author of the Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus novels

“Alafair Burke has created a winning heroine in Ellie Hatcher, someone to root for.”
—Tami Hoag, bestselling author of Down the Darkest Road

“Complex pl
Published February 1st 2009 (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about City Of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Of Fear

Lewis Weinstein
A terrific read ... great plot, tension, detecting, and an interesting group of characters. What more could you ask for in a crime thriller?
Patricia
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spring break in New York for three girls from Indiana couldn’t start out more exciting nor end more tragically. Chelsea Hart, Stephanie Hyder and Jordan McLaughlin are best friends and plan to spend their last night in New York checking out all the clubs. Two girls survive the night but for one it will be her last night.

Ellie Hatcher is a Manhattan South Homicide detective. Ellie is single and currently lives with her brother Jess. While out for a morning run the two discover the body of a young
Beth
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in a series of police procedurals starring a female homicide detective. Much more realistic in terms of the main characters actions than the first in the series. Good story, interesting ending.
Gregory Baird
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: James Patterson fans
Ally McBeal gets a badge

I decided to read this book because I have heard many good things about the mysteries written by Alafair Burke’s father, James Lee Burke. Unfortunately, I found the experience rather disappointing. Ms. Burke seems to be a capable enough plotter, but this novel suffers from an excess of twists and some supremely laughable dialogue (for example, when asked if she went out the previous night, main character Ellie Hatcher responds “Nah, maybe back in my old skanky days. I k
J.R.
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Just beginning her career as a homicide detective, Ellie Hatcher and her brother Jess are among joggers who discover the mutilated body of a young college student.

Hatcher and her partner J. J. Rogan are assigned the case. They discover the girl had been on spring break with two friends from the Midwest and separated from them at a trendy club. It isn’t long before the last man the victim was with becomes the prime suspect.

Despite compelling evidence and the certainty of her colleagues and the pr
Karen
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the author has a good, solid writing style, the characters are realistic and the plot was anything but predictable. After reading two of the books in the Ellie Hatcher series, I can definitely say that I will read the rest of this series, and more from this author. I would recommend that others do the same!
Jennifer Jaynes
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First title of hers. Will definitely read more.
Lauren
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Despite my best efforts at the eleventh hour, this will be my last book read for 2018. So close to the coveted 100 - 2019 is hopefully my year.

Also, this was better than the first one which is always a nice surprise.
Jodi
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read, arc, kindle
This is the second book in the Ellie Hatcher series and it is a page turner. A young college girl is murdered in NYC during spring break and Ellie catches the case. Ellie has only recently been promoted to homicide because she solved her father's cold case and there are lots of people who resent her. But her African-American partner does not and is happy to back her plays. But when she starts talking serial killer, even he has to ask if she really knows where she's going. As she starts connectin ...more
Lesa Divine
2.5 - 3 🌟

Just okay.
Ellie looking to find a man that killed a young girl but cutting her hair and taking it with him as a trophy is part of the case that seems to be a pattern with some old cold cases.

With her and her new partner they out to find how these cases fit and get the guy.

I've predicted a few people. Right towards the end author tricks the readers. Nice.

It was just okay wished as the reader that I would have followed the killer a bit more to get that thrill from him as the killer.
Afra Frisanco
Soddisfatta nonostante tutto penso sia il modo migliore per iniziare questa recensione.
Ammetto che a metà romanzo stavo per lasciare, lo ho trovato molto lento e inconsistente nella prima parte ma dalla metà in poi circa inizia a farsi interessante.

Mi ha sorpresa scoprire chi fosse il killer e anche se a volte è un romanzo confusionario devo dire che non è una lettura per niente pesante anzi la si legge volentieri anche prima di andare a dormire senza paura di incappare in incubi durante la not
Maddy
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
PROTAGONIST: Detective Ellie Hatcher
SETTING: New York
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 3.0

A group of young women from Indiana are just about to return home after some time vacationing in New York City. For their final night in the City, they decide to party at a club called Pulse. When her friends are ready to leave, Chelsea Hart decides she'd like to stay a little longer. She's been drinking too much, but having such a great time that she wants to make the evening last as long as possible. That turned out
Hobart
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
The way that Dead Connection ended, I figured this one would be Ellie going back home for a while, and was pleased to see I was wrong. I really appreciated the way that Burke fed us details on Ellie's trip to Kansas to investigate her father's death in bits and pieces rather than in one big dump of information somewhere along the way and/or a novel-length tale. I'm sure at some point we will get a lot more time and attention paid to that story, but for now, I'm satisfied keeping the focus on E ...more
Heather Hopkins Roberts
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Alafair Burke
Angel's Tip by Alafair Burke is her second Ellie Hatcher novel. For the second in a series it is a remarkably well written and detail oriented book. Often, as the reader we have a good idea who the "bad guy" is, yet, this one kept me guessing. (For those who this surprises, it was well written, it IS a mystery, and I do not read mystery novels trying to solve them first...seriously who does that?)
I loved the character development, having not read book 1 and getting a deal on this one via Amazon
Stephen Tremp
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
main character, Ellie Hatcher, is a likeable and believable character. She’s a straight shooter who can do things the easy way or the hard way. Regardless, she’ll get results. She’s smart, tough, aggressive, calculated, and pretty darn hot. But she also likes to drink Margaritas with friends and relax.I liked the chemistry with her brother Jess and new partner JJ Rogan. I appreciated the balance as its no fun to have a completely wound up protagonist. The minor characters were engaging and fun t ...more
Carey
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When new homocide detective Ellie Hatcher takes her usual early morning jog with her brother, Jess, they stumble right over a murder victim. Chelsea Hart, a beautiful blond Indiana college student, has been dumped there in East River Park with her hair weirdly chopped off.

As the first detective on the scene, Ellie takes charge. Her find, her case. She calls her new partner, J.J. Rogan, and together they begin to put together the pieces of this seemingly random crime. Attractive college girl, in
Kara Jorges
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Ellie Hatcher catches a homicide one morning while she’s out jogging in the park with her brother/roommate Jess. They find the murdered and mutilated body of 19-year-old college student Chelsea Hart from Indiana. Chelsea and her friends had come to Manhattan for spring break, and Chelsea disappeared on her last night in town after partying it up in a VIP room with some yuppies. All the evidence points to the last man to see her alive, obnoxiously coiffed Jake Myers, but when Ellie come ...more
Susan
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book in the Ellie Hatcher series is remarkable for the vicious "Barber of Manhattan." Bodies begin to line Hatcher'a path as she and partner, J.J. Rogan strengthen their bond as NYPD detectives in seeking the killer of young, blonde women who stay out too late and don't go home when their friends warn them to do so.

Ellie, JJ, Ellie's brother, Jess, and the rest of the characters are believable. The villain evokes fear. Burke is a master of plot, and this one does not disappoint. How
Amanda McGill
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Gripping novel that I couldn't put down!

Angel's Tip is the 2nd novel in the Ellie Hatcher series. I would recommend reading the novels in order since this novel did speak about events that happened in the 1st book.

Even though Ellie Hatcher brought down the bad guy in the first novel, she still needs to prove herself to the NYPD that she isn't just a pretty face that the media enjoys showing. While out for her morning run with her brother, Jess, they stumble upon a body of a teenager girl who w
LJ
First Sentence: The man leaned forward on his stool to make room for a big-boned redhead who was reaching for the two glass of pinot grigio she’d ordered.

A young collage woman is missing after a night bar-hopping with her friends in New York City. Her body is found severely mutilated. As Detective Ellie Hatcher, investigates, she finds similar murders in the past..

This was another sociopathic serial killer who attacks young women, mutilates them, keeps a souvenir and gets off on it. The protago
Lara
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I had to describe my experience with this book in one word, I would say “typos”. Oy. I hope I’m not getting an editor in trouble with that, but it’s the truth. Hell, at one point, there was even a mix-up with a character name.

If I didn’t say “typos”, I’d just say “enh”. The book had the elements of an entertaining murder mystery: dead bodies, hot female detective, possibility of a serial killer, discord within the investigative team, yada yada yada; but it just didn’t really deliver in an in
Alan Mills
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Wow! Talk about a page turner, lots of twists and bodies. Sex and drugs and rock and roll. Also, an interesting main character (Ellie Hatcher) and enigmatic partner (seems 100% straight shooter! but has too much money for a cop).

Young Indiana University student on Spring break in New York city stays out late at a dance club, gets wasted, and is found the next morning murdered. As bodies pile up, the killer appears to focus on Ellie--is she the target? Or just being taunted? Or is it in her mind?
Berit☀️✨
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by this author, so obviously the first book I have read in the series. I thought it was very good and very interesting. A definite police procedural, with some twists and turns. I really didn't know who the bad guy was until the very end, and was actually a bit surprised. Ellie was very likable and realistic as character, I think this was actually true of all the characters in this book. I will definitely read another book in the series, hopefully sooner than lat ...more
Msjodi777
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This is the second book in the Ellie Hatcher series, and while there was quite a bit of reference to what happened in the last book, it was not distracting enough to detract from the story. All in all the plot was interesting, the characters are likeable, and the story moved along at a good pace. Eliza Foss' narration was excellent. <><
Wilson
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A solid, straight-forwardly told American crime thriller with a female lead character, who may lack a little in personality but makes up for it with some good quips. The author is not attempting to replicate James Lee Burke's unique style, but she settles in nicely as a lightweight companion to Michael Connelly, and his novels.
Jeanne
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story had a well thought out plot, although not crazy about the brutal murder of young women--and love the team of Ellie Hatcher and JJ Rogan!! Ellie is one smart cookie and is able to piece the case together in the end. Just an OK "listen" for me--6 out of 10 on this one.
Niki
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book! Just enough plot twists and turns to keep things really interesting without delving into the confusing and absurd. This is my third Alafair Burke book and I look forward to reading more! She always has interesting plots in her books, and I love her writing style.
Natalie
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable contemporary detective thriller. I was guessing up until the last second, mostly incorrectly. =)
Lynn
Big thumbs up !
Elusive
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In 'Angel's Tip', three best friends decide to spend their last night in New York at a popular club called Pulse but for one of them, it will truly be her last night. When detective Ellie Hatcher stumbles upon the body of young Chelsea Hart, she is determined to nab the killer. Despite having lots of evidence pointing to one particular suspect, she soon finds that there's more than meets the eye in this case..

This murder mystery was gripping from the moment the victim's body was discovered and t

• Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Blood Crimes: Book One
  • Legally Dead
  • Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)
  • Apparition Alley (Kate Delafield, #6)
  • Person of Interest
  • 50 Reasons to Say Goodbye (50 Reasons, #1)
  • Trail Of Blood (Theresa MacLean #3)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • Unknown Means
  • Bitterroot (Billy Bob Holland, #3)
  • The Book of Fame
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #10)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Protector
  • William Walker's First Year Of Marriage: A Horror Story
  • Crash and Burn (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #1)
Alafair Burke is the New York Times bestselling author of "two power house series" (Sun-Sentinel) that have earned her a reputation for creating strong, believable, and eminently likable female characters, such as NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher and Portland Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid. Alafair's novels grow out of her experience as a prosecutor in America's police precincts and crimina ...more

Ellie Hatcher (5 books)
  • Dead Connection (Ellie Hatcher #1)
  • 212 (Ellie Hatcher #3)
  • Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)
  • All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher, #5)
“brand-new hot tub.” 0 likes