Start by marking “Footprints of Thunder” as Want to Read:
Footprints of Thunder

Footprints of Thunder

(Thunder #1)

When a freak natural phenomenon dissolves the boundaries between yesterday and today, the world is transformed into a patchwork mixture of the present and the distant past. Entire cities are replaced by primeval forests. Prehistoric monsters stalk modern city streets, hunting for human prey.

While ordinary men and women struggle to survive in this strange new world, the pre
Published July 15th 1997 by Tor Books (first published 1995)

Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Footprints of Thunder (Paperback) by James F. David is a long but good sci fi about time waves that that were caused by things like large explosions. These time waves caused places, people, things to appear and disappear. When the big event happens, there are large cities gone replaced by forest, swamps, and things that live in them...prehistoric things. The story follows several people during the book and how they deal with it all. Very interesting!
Matt Garcia
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Footprints of Thunder" has everything you could ever want in a sci-fi thriller. Great action scenes, fast tempo, a multitude of different perspectives and characters to get acquainted with and enough science to keep you interested without leaving you quizzically holding the book saying "What did I just read?" The dinosaurs were heavily detailed and broadcast a wide scope of the creatures alive during the Cretaceous period. Stellar novel with plenty of literary "eye-candy" to dive into. The bois ...more
Katherine
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it. Another success from browsing the clearance shelves of Half Price Books. The writing is amazing and he clearly looked up details to all the science in the book. It was smart, interesting and something that I could not put down.
Jeff Powers
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Footprints of Thunder was an enjoyable read, filled with what it promised, modern humans dealing with dinosaurs. James David, takes the tried and true elements of Jurassic Park and explodes them to a global scale. This is post apocalyptic fiction, where the apocalypse is the emergence of Dinosaurs. It started off fast paced and delivered on the action. It gets extra points just for being dino scifi, but it does tend to bog down a bit in the middle, suffer from a few too many characters and a lim ...more
Wanda
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this adventure, where a time distortion brings bits of the Cretaceous (and other ages) to the present and sends bits of the present off to who-knows-when. People start digging out their children's dinosaur books to identify that creatures wandering down the street. Those who are unlucky enough to be in rural areas when the distortion takes place practice their running-and-hiding skills.

There are a lot of (human) characters to keep track of--I had been reading a chapter or two
Kristin
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
A fun dino romp bogged down by padding, paper-thin characters, and an abruptly vague ending. David can't bear to kill off major characters, so he generates suspense with a running sub-plot about *sexual assault*. The only dinosaur books that should make you feel this dirty are self-published erotica.
☣Lynn☣
What a fun book! A bit too scifi at some parts, but I really enjoyed this a whole lot. Read over half of it by the pool today.

Probably won't read the second or third book though. They sound a bit silly. A T rex on the moon? Really? Ugh.
Charles
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it
This one gets a four for concept and a three for execution. It was pretty good but I kept wanting a bit more from the characters and story.
Tommy
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Obviously, if you like Jurassic Park, you'll probably like this. I think I enjoyed it every bit as much. Which is a lot, because I really love gigantic rampaging dinos and constant mortal peril. FOOTPRINTS OF THUNDER deals with bizarre time displacement theories, and a "time quilt" effect. There were a lot of characters to keep track of, but I didn't find it too difficult because each group of characters ends up in very different circumstances, faced with different terrain and different beasties ...more
Tasula
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A time rift brings sections of earth from the Cretaceous into the modern world- while sections of the modern world disappear. Those left in our world face dinosaurs, and gaps in communications, food distribution, etc. Story follows a few groups: a loner who believes the world will end, a group trying to predict strange occurrences (like corn falling from the sky), a family out on a sail, 3 teenagers whose evening out turns into a survival game, an old woman in NYC who befriends an Iguanodon. Ver ...more
Greg
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Too much set up, too little carnage. The characters were mere sketches, and I never could really relate to them. Stick to Crichton!
Jmswtsn
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good page turner, although the ending was a bit abrupt.
Veronica
Couldn't bring myself to finish this.
Sue Beckley
THIS BOOK IS OUTSTANDING SCIENCE FICTION WITH AN INTERESTING AND BELIEVABLE (?) PREMISE.
Karl Ljungberg
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dinosaurs, sci-fi
I quite enjoyed this book but it's not for everyone. If you can't turn a blind eye to dodgy science and need your books to have a deep meaning, then this simply isn't the book for you. On the other hand, if all you want out of the book are dinosaurs, people running (and failing to run) from said dinosaurs and some brief glimpses into the lives of the people affected, then this book is probably one of the better ones out there. It's written well enough to never get in your way and the format work ...more
Ryan Comella
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the first novel by James F. David I've read, and Im happy I found a copy at my local used bookstore.

I've always been fascinated with the Cretaceous period and this novel supplied a more than decent story to pique my interest. It was a ton of fun to read and immerse yourself in.

While there are quite a few characters, the time stamp and location indicator at the beginning of each chapter minimize confusion. The storyline was also full of action scenes and larger-than-life skirmishes.

Ch
Savannah
Really glad I finally picked this up! I started (accidentally) reading the 3rd book in the series in high school and enjoyed it but was also pretty confused..I then found out that it was the 3rd and stopped reading it...I enjoyed this one though and can’t wait to read the other two. I actually ordered the entire series from thrift books so hopefully I should have them soon and can finish the series!!!
Scott Richards
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It was pretty good. Not a book you have to soak every page in but a decent enough story.
Preeti
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dinosaurs
Final rating: 2.5 stars
Samantha
Another review for this book can be found at my blog: www.therealworldaccordingtosam.blogsp...

A couple years ago, my parents picked up the sequel to this and bought it for me. Little did we know that a book came before. When I realized there was a prequel to my sequel, I went on a immediate quest which lasted about a year and a few months. Finally I found this book while on an out-of-town trip. Imagine my delight? I got dinosaurs, I got science, I got action, I got time rips.....somebody read m
Donna Backshall
The quilt idea was unique and I would even say intriguing, but the follow-through was too aggressive. There were simply too many characters and scenarios, which left me uneasy ("Wait, which group is this?") and constantly pulled me out of the story. I found myself unable to care about what was happening to each and every one of the groups, mainly because from chapter to chapter I had to expend so much energy transitioning to someone or something new.

In a way, I felt like I was watching a news p
Ben
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Meh. Not a bad story, although more like ten small stories. I appreciate that he didn't just use the well known and overused dinosaur species. Most people ignore the tens of thousands of species and instead just use the five or so people are familiar with, so that was a nice change. However, there is some very bad science within. Also, the action seemed over abundant and thus underwhelming. People couldn't go half a page without running into some disaster. The ending also explained very little. ...more
Shelly Kotalik
Mar 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: james-f-david
I think if you liked Jurassic Park, you'd like this. It involves dinosaurs and science. However, that's where the similarity ends. It's an interesting and memorable book that I read quickly. I just found out there is a sequel which I intend to read. Warning for animal lovers: a gutwrenching scene involving a mother and baby dinosaur and a pack of killer whales seemed entirely unnecessary to me. If not for that, I'd give it five stars.
Randy
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Footprints of Thunder is a treat for those who loved Jurassic Park and who fantasized about dinosaurs and man pitted together unwittingly in a global scale. The plot flows through disjointed narratives that sometimes converge and sometimes written for the sake of exploring a completely isolated set of events.
While the pseudo-science behind the premise seems to be barely affirmed in the first novel, it opens up a whole new world to explore and many adventures to be had in time to come.
Joey Cruz
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the PERFECT book to read when I was in highschool, hot off Crichton's Jurassic Park books and Preston & Child's early adventure/monster books and eager for more humans-meet-dinos action.

Ten years later, David published a sequel, which I have just started reading, and it's pleasing to find that nostalgia isn't clouding my memory of him as a rousing adventure writer.

Manages to belong to the JP clique without seeming a knock-off. Recommended for adventure fans!
Gail Willadsen
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
The easiest way to describe this book was cerebral. I gave it a 3 for execution of the technical parts, but a 5 for the story. I loved the viewpoints from multiple unrelated characters, and the way the author integrated the dinosaurs into the modern world. However, I had a really hard time following the logic behind the "quilting" effect and the scientific "visuals" used to explain it.
Andrea Carlin
May 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have read almost this entire book over Memorial Day weekend because I'm sick!! This has been the perfect book to enjoy while lying in bed miserable. Kind of like Jurassic Park, but I like it better....lots of main characters, some of which die (it's nice not to necessarily be able to predict that).
Manny
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This book can best be described as the movie equivalent of a popcorn flick. I was thinking back to Jurassic Park and was looking for a similar book, and while this just doesn't have the depth or believable storyline of that classic, it does have lots of action and good characters. The actual rating is closer to a 4. If you love dinosaurs, and who doesn't, you'll easily breeze through this one.
LadyCroft86
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Exciting story and interesting theories. The only thing I didn't like was trying to remember what happened to so many characters. Too many characters if you have to list them in the beginning of the book.
Amy
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good, solid science fiction without being over-the-top; the novel was actually more realistic than I anticipated (this is a good thing). I definitely recommend it if you like the occasional Robert J. Sawyer or Michael Crichton novel.
does anyone know 10 21 Apr 27, 2013 08:06PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Footprints of Thunder 1 5 Sep 27, 2012 08:02AM
  • Cretaceous Dawn
  • Dinosaur Beach
  • Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension, #1)
  • Bones of the Earth
  • Neanderthal
  • Vigilant
  • Mastodonia
  • Expiration Date
  • Earthfall (Dinosaur Wars, #1)
  • The Noise Within (Noise #1)
  • A Shortcut in Time (A Shortcut in Time, #1)
  • The Idiot Gods
James F. David has a Ph.D. from Ohio State University and is currently a professor of Psychology as George Fox University in Newberg, Oregon. He is the author of the thrillers Footprints of Thunder, Ship of the Damned and Before the Cradle Falls. He lives with his wife and three daughters in Tigard, Oregon.

Thunder (3 books)