Start by marking “Anastacia” as Want to Read:
Anastacia

Anastacia (Famous Women)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  566 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
When American journalist Michael Sheridan jumps into the Whangpoa River to save a woman he met in one of Shanghai's taxi clubs, his life is changed irrevocably. A Russian refugee, Anastasia Romanov bears an extraordinary resemblance to the princess of the same name, who was rumored to have survived the brutal murder of her family at the hands of Bolshevik revolutionaries. ...more
Paperback
Published 2006 by Editora Arx (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Anastacia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anastacia

Ally Kumari
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could, I would give this... this.... THING zero stars! Because, ladies and gentlemen, this awful piece of lurid fiction made me both outraged, confused and outraged again. Before we delve into everything wrong, let me just state that HISTORICAL FICTION dealing with REAL peronalities who have been WELL DOCUMENTED should, at least, RESPECT the truth that is easily researched and confirmed by a FRIGGIN GOOGLE SEARCH! Mr. Falconer did not do any research. Or if he did, he probably printed his n ...more
RavenclawReadingRoom
Trigger warnings: execution, graphic descriptions of death, rape, animal cruelty, amnesia, attempted suicide, domestic violence, sex slavery.

DNF on page 124.

Not long after I started this book, I realised that I've DNFed another book by this author in the past - one that deals with the Spanish invasion of Tenochtitlan. So things weren't off to a great start.

Let's bullet point all my problems with this:
- If you're going to use actual historical figures as characters in your book, at least try a
Lisa
May 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The history of the last Russian Czar and his family is a tragic one and the rumour that Anastasia somehow survived lends intrigue and mystery.

Part One of this book was a good read, emotional and tense, but after that the book went downhill for me. In fact, I fail to understand what purpose Part One served in the story, as the character known as Anastasia Romanov suffers with amnesia and can't remember anything of her past.

The blurb on the back cover claims that this is greatest love story ever t
Ivana Mihajlović
Iako je početak jako solidan i dovoljan da održi pažnju i uvuče u dalju radnju, ostatak kgnjige je mešavina Anastazije koja ne zna šta želi (donese jednu odluku, pa na sledećoj stranici istu pogazi, pa na trećoj se vraća opet na početak, o tri četiri rečenice 'unutrašnje' borbe koja dovodi do odluka ne želim da pričam). Sa druge strane tu je Majkl osoba bez trunke samopoštovanja i tu je njihova hoću-neću-neću-hoću ljubavna priča. Glavna misterija u knjizi, da li je ona zapravo ruska princeza ili ...more
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. French author, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry once wrote that perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Colin Falconer's Anastasia is a slim book that recalls the very best masterpieces. For me, it is now a modern classic.

I am passionate about the Russian Revolution and the murder of the Romanovs but what initially drew me to this novel was promises of time travel to 1920s Shanghai, Berlin and New York. I was not dis
Marie80
Очекував нешто сосема поинакво!!!
Dianna Rostad
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever wanted to walk the streets of early twentieth century Shanghai, Berlin, London, or New York, then you will love the wide landscape of this novel. All the big cities come to life with all the political and economic intricacies of that time. From the grittiest of inhabitants, to the most decadent and smug, Falconer gives you a view into the turmoil of the Great War without clubbing you over the head with a clunky recitation of history.

Michael is a self-made journalist unwilling to
Elizabeta
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
When I started the book, I haven't imagined the story would get so complex and develop in the way it did. Very interesting read.
Jade Elias-killeen
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My most favorite book
ShepardN7
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Maja Azic
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nova pročitana knjiga. Radnja ovoga romana odvija se u Šangaju 1920. godine. Glavni likovi ovog napetog romana su Majkel i Anastazija, Radnja počinje kada Majkel spašava Anastaziju iz hladne rijeke. Anastazija podsjeća na rusku princezu za koju se priča da je preživjela užase kojima su revolucionari izvrgnuli njenu obitelj. Problem je u tome što Anastazija boluje od amnezije i ona se ne sjeća ničega prije svoga dolaska u Šangaj. Tu počinje potraga za njenim podrijetlom. Dal je stvarno Majklova A ...more
Marko  Lončar
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Nažalost moraću da se upišem u tabor onih kojima se ova knjiga nije svidela. Nisam preterano oduševljen. Kompletan utisak je čvrsta trojka. Ocena bi bila i manja da me kraj knjige nije potpuno iznenadio, jer nije nimalo tipičan za kraj ljubavnih romana. Ovu knjigu su najavili kao najlepšu ljubavnu priču ikada ispričanu – ali malo su se prevarili ili nisu čitali ostale ljubavne priče.

Barbara
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

The authors first few books I read I did not rate because I was annoyed at the poor editing. By now I don't care about that anymore because he is an amazing writer. You feel like you are living every era he writes about. And even after all his books I have read now I can never predict the ending. I am happy I still have a few to go.
Veselina Bakalova-Mihaylovska
Като че ли очаквах повече...Не беше лоша книгата, засягаше и някои исторически събития и персонажи, но накрая свърши някак никак (изразът е нарочно използван :)).
Lorna
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The very worst thing about this book is the editing, it was horrific. If its any indication of his other novels, then I'm done. The book itself had a climatic ending and the characters were easy to identify with and understand. However the story line was redundant and I had trouble remaining interested. I quickly developed a strong dislike for Anastasia. Im just thankful to be finished with this book.
Gayle Pace
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
anastasia (famous women's series)
by colin falconer

"Falconer's grasp of his period and places is almost flawless...He's my kind of writer." The Australian (from front cover)

"Falconer weaves a pacy story of obsession, love, greed and corruption....Really well Done" ....Sydney Morning Herald (from back cover)

BLURB:
"Some men don't fall in love, they get lost. I was lost from the moment I saw Anastasia Romanov in the taxi club that first night..."

When Michael Sheridan jumped into the Whangpoa River t
Amira
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you're a sucker for the Russian Revolution or anything to do with the last Tsar mystery, then you'll enjoy this book.
The story centres around the possibility that Anastasia Romanov may have survived the horrific murder of the royal family and been discovered in Shanghai working as taxi girl (prostitute) by a cocky, but charming American journalist, Michael Sheridan. Michael is draw to this mysterious woman and becomes more obsessed with her when he discovers she may be the missing Grand Duch
Oh My Bookness
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Anastasia by Colin Falconer is a historical Fiction Novel based on and around the events as one knows of,Czar Nicolas of Russia and his family that all died in the cellar on the night of 7/17/18 and the stories of the "only survivor" Anastasia. Colin Falconer brings a fresh perspective to the Anastasia story, with authentic story telling of the early twentieth century cities, the sceneries, political and economic views as well as a look into the Great War. We follow the story through the roaring ...more
Elena
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really good book. If you're looking towards Shangai, Berlin, New York in the 1920's then this book will surely give you a good time-lap. Very well described, starting from how the cities look back then, to the way of living,the way people dressed, behaved, the morals and discrimination of certain nationalities. You will start living in the book.

However, the beginning of the book is too good, solid and makes you want to read more and more... But as the book progressed that feeling kinda starte
Kamilla
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
As good as this book has started, it quckly just went downhill. The Prologue was the only interesting part of this book. It was historical, based on actual facts. It was intriguing, I wanted to know more. Then the fiction started and everything went south from there. Even though the premise of Anastasia finding herself in Shanghai with no memory of her past was believable, even through the descriptions of the 1920s Berlin, London and New York was true to the times, the story itself lacked finess ...more
Melissa Favero
I read this a long time ago and remember being frustrated with it. Now I know why. I loved the first half of the book that focused on the romanovs time in exile and post revolution shanghai. As for the other half I found I just wanted more from the story; more time spent on a particular scene or situation.
Rachel Zylstra
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am always drawn to books that have a Russian background, but I am usually picking up ones that relate to the second World War. However this story occurs at the time of the revolution and is about the fate of the last Russian Czar's daughter, Anastasia. I was captivated throughout the whole book and was frequently doing bits of research on the Romanov family between reading, as I found them so compelling and interesting.

It hit me a quarter way through the book that the Disney movie Anastasia w
Heather
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anastasia by Colin Falconer takes the theory that Anastasia Romanov survived the night her family was murdered, combines it with a young woman who looks like Anastasia but has no memory of her life prior to leaving Russia, and spins a love story than spans four countries and three continents over the course of several years. The author did an excellent job describing 1920s Shanghai, Berlin, London, and New York City. The story is told in the alternating voices of Anastasia and Michael (an Americ ...more
Mila Fitos
Sep 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I think this was one of the worst books I've ever read. I don't like saying bad things about others' books, because I myself know what a great work it is to write one. But I'd just like to know what really went on in the mind of this writer.
I think Falconer sort of wanted to convert this story of a princess into a story that isn't a fairytale. But although so many bad things happened to Anastasia thorughout the book, in the end she did always get what she wanted - but always the long way - and
Chrissy
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Fairly disappointing read. The beginning was intriguing, but as the story went on, it was so...depressing. So much doom and gloom. Not that I'm opposed to gloom and doom, but when a book is this depressing, you want to at least sort of like your main characters. I found it very hard to like either of the leads in this story. The ending was very unsatisfactory. I gave it 3 stars, simply because I liked reading about Russian emigres after the Revolution. Other than that...meh.
Sissa Maricaua
Nov 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
I struggled with this book, I really did, because when I bought it, I wanted so badly to love it, I had really high expectations. But to me, the most enjoyable parts were the "flashbacks" Anastasia had of the moments she spent in captivity, and the interactions she had with her family prior to their execution. All the story of her survival, her prostitution and everything else was just too off for me. It really felt like two different characters. It was just not for me.
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had me reading into the late hours of the night trying to find out what would happen next. It took some very unexpected turns which was great. It is based losely on a very interesting part of history and I feel like it was a great story of what could have happened. The topics touched on were also dark at some points and light at others. A great read if you are interested in the Romanov stories. I loved the perspective in which is written in. Getting into characters minds is great.
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
I read this book back in high school, so at least four years ago and i still remember the awe i felt reading it.
I was in love with the whole russian tsar word and this view made everything seem less glam and awe inspiring that changed the way I looked at the whole thing.
this is a book i will re-read again and possibly re-read after that because it has stayed with me over four years and I hope it will stay with me again.
Now I just have to hope there is an e-book copy!
Danielle Bonam
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Let Down

The story of Anastasia Romanov is one of my most favorite historical stories, but I found myself disappointed by Falconer's rendition. The story took a back burner to a sickly codependent love story. Although I do enjoy romance in my historical fiction, this was the entire story and making her story one of his three famous women stories was just a let down.
Kerryn
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, i-want
This is a great book, its a page turner, it kept me up. i barely put it down, i went to sleep thinking about it and woke up thinking i need to keep reading. it is very sad in the beginning. The one thing i didnt like about this book, is the ending, i thought that falconer should have gone on a little further, he didnt really end it. but all in all it is a great book.
  • Rubies in the Snow: Diary of Russia's Last Grand Duchess 1911-1918
  • Sharaf
  • Todos os Sonhos do Mundo
  • Nightingale
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • The True Memoirs of Little K
  • The Romanov Legacy (Natalie Brandon Thrillers, #1)
  • The Tsarina's Legacy
  • The Secret Plot to Save the Tsar: The Truth Behind the Romanov Mystery
  • Michael and Natasha: The Life and Love of Michael II, the Last of the Romanov Tsars
  • The Passion of Marie Romanov
  • Alice in Exile
  • Little Mother of Russia: A Biography of the Empress Marie Feodorovna (1847-1928)
  • The Curse of the Romanovs
  • Absolution: A Bald Knobber Saga
  • Queen of Always (Stolen Empire, #3)
  • Poslednje proleće u Parizu
  • The Diary of Olga Romanov: Royal Witness to the Russian Revolution

“I was 18 years old, I’d just left school and got a job in London, working in an insurance company. I was working inside - in an office! My mother thought that was like being CEO of Shell Oil.

“I was late one morning, I took a short cut through the church yard to the station to catch my train. I’d just finished reading The Sun Also Rises the night before; and here I was looking at all these gravest
More about Colin Falconer...

Famous Women (2 books)
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99

“quite the same thing. It is like an overwhelming clamour on the senses. 'Jenao” 0 likes