Start by marking “Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)

Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  526 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
With the recent series of college murders behind him, Cambridge Fellow Jonty Stewart is in desperate need of a break. A holiday on the beautiful Channel Island of Jersey seems ideal, if only he can persuade Orlando Coppersmith to leave the security of the college and come with him. Orlando is a quiet man who prefers academic life to venturing out into the world. Within the ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Linden Bay Romance

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in Desire

Vivian
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Utterly charmed.

Playing into an imagined idyllic nostalgia, I was completely enchanted with Orlando and Jonty again. It was nice to see them in a setting away from Cambridge, out and about. Of course, Orlando's social reticence and deep-seated fear of discovery, which considering the consequences at the time were reasonable, made this a slow reveal.
He could just imagine Orlando during the conversation about Oscar Wilde in the bar—being clueless, missing the subtle signs of someone manifesting
Steelwhisper
This vaccilates between 3 and 3.5 stars for me.

I like some of the descriptions of greater intimacy between the couple, and some of the local colour, but on the whole it was a bit too sweet and the guys too tootsie-goody for my tastes. I don't require alpha-males, but those two men had not enough hormones and not enough red blood. Even Peter Ustinov's Hercule Poirot came over as more male and less stuck up and brittle.

Something which persistently disturbed me was the posit that only insertive sex
K
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second story featuring academics, and part time sleuths, Jonty and Orlando. Out of their comfortable routine at St Brides on holiday in the channel Islands, while Jonty is determined to make sure that Orlando enjoys himself, and maybe even learns to relax a little, they find themselves caught up in another mystery when a guest at their hotel is murdered.

Sprinkled throughout with period detail, and with a good mix of relationship and mystery storylines, this was really enjoyable and f
Aoife
This was...nice. Not bad but not great either. The mystery was OK, but one throwaway line made it really easy to figure out parts of it. There was still enough to keep me guessing.
I didn't get at all why it was necessary to have parts of the story told from Mathew's point of view. I'm pretty sure that all the other books from the series, I've read so far, were just written from Orlando's and Jonty's POV and I really don't understand why it was changed here. It added nothing and they were honestl
Basicallyrun
Dec 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not... entirely enamoured of this series, and yet I keep getting struck by thoughts of 'Oh, wouldn't it be *nice* to read another?'. Huh. Objectively speaking, there are some pretty badly worded sentences in here, I guessed the murderer in a 'last person you think of' way almost as soon as they were introduced (admittedly got the motive wrong, but the murder weapon right), and the author's insistence on getting her characters to The Full Sex (thank you, whoever introduced me to that usefully ...more
M
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is not particularly exciting or racy or unusually clever, but I loved it because it's just so... charming. It makes me want to speak with peculiarly English turns of phrase and carry a handkerchief and play croquet. The main couple is really growing on me. So glad I still have the rest of the series to look forward to.
Mandapanda
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Volume two in the amateur sleuthing adventures of Jonty and Orlando, Professors at St Brides College, Cambridge in 1906. These books are rather like taking afternoon tea with your best china - old-fashioned and delicious!
Melanie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have just finished Lessons in Desire, the second in the Cambridge Fellows series and I am beginning to see the reasons for the high ratings. Unlike the first book which left me detached and uninvolved in the characters, Lessons in Desire delighted me and gave me a better understanding of Drs. Coppersmith and Stewart as well as the times they lived in.

It is 1906 and classes at St. Brides College have been adjourned for the holidays. Jonty Stewart has persuaded his love and colleague to go on va
Erastes
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have to say I dislike romance blurbs with questions, because due to the restrictions on a HEA, the answer is pretty much answerable at the first page, but that wasn’t going to stop me enjoying Charlie Cochrane’s second outing with her Cambridge Fellows, as I had enjoyed book one immensely.

Right from the word go she had me hooked, as Jonty and Orlando’s banter made me smile–I love the way that Orlando is shocked at the very idea of going AWAY for a holiday–and how Jonty loves to tease him. Afte
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I wasn't expecting to like it so much. I read the first book at the beginning of my M/M reads and thought quite highly of it. In retrospect, I think I overrated it a bit, because I liked this second installment so much more. Maybe it's because Jonty and Orlando are on holiday, maybe it's because they know each other better, but this story was less gloomy than the previous one, with more humor and a few funny episodes.

The mystery was maybe a bit too easy to guess, but the relationship between Jon
Jenre
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Charming, delightful story which brings together a tender romance with bloody murder. I was totally immersed in the setting and characters, loved the clues and red herrings in the murder plot, and enjoyed the innocence of the early 1900's. Wonderful stuff.
Josephine Myles
In the second Cambridge Fellows book, our intrepid amateur sleuths take a much needed holiday. The beauty and calm of Jersey infuses the whole story, despite the murder of one of the guests at their hotel. There are rockpools, bathing and all manner of classic holiday activities. I think the only thing they don’t do is build a sandcastle!

Alongside the murder plot, which has a delightful number of possible murder weapons and suspects to ponder over, Jonty and Orlando have reached a difficult junc
Maarja
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical, crime
This book had a lovely Agatha Christie feel to it, everybody on a vacation, a murder with many suspects and a complicated solution, people playing bridge (love it!), with some M/M romance as a bonus. I think I enjoyed it even more than the first book, with the relationship nicely established and the MC's simply having wonderful time together. I disliked Jonty's actions at the beginning (leaving Orlando alone with Matthew, understanding the situation and knowing Orlando's helplessness), but he re ...more
Alison
I adore this series and it's among my most favourite. This book is charming and delightful and there's also a grisly murder. Orlando and Jonty are what make this series special and they are simply wonderful in this book. I'm completely biased, so of course it gets five stars. This is my third time reading this and it doesn't lose its sparkle.
Kassa
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
The second book in the Cambridge Fellows series is another wonderfully lyrical story that engages the reader with the slow pace of life in the early 1900s. This beautiful writing, clever mystery, touches of humor, and engaging characters create an interesting story that never sacrifices the pace and time for quick action or sex scenes. Although the pace may drag in some places, this is very likely to be reader specific. Be sure to pick up this story when you want an easy, languid journey filled ...more
Sophia
This second book in the series set in Edwardian England that takes the main characters away from their home stomping ground and off to a beautiful island where there is the blend of romance and mystery. As before this is a gently moving plot that makes it's way slowly, but steadily.

In this one, Jonty persuades (begs, pleads, threatens) Orlando into taking a holiday away from the university during their long break. Orlando allows himself to be persuaded and Jonty chooses the Chanel Islands where
Jeff
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great second installation by Ms. Cochrane. The story is set in a completely different setting (on holiday on a Channel Island) but still growing and developing just like real people - and, of course, there is an interesting and complex murder to be solved.
Nisie draws
ehhhhh. This book didn't have a very interesting plot, and the murder mystery was too obvious. Orlando's issues with doing it in the butt were a bit tedious.
Charly
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first volume is good, and this one’s better

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- Funnier than the prequel. Jonty, in particular, says and does a number of rather amusing things. I think the main reason that I found him funnier in this book is that he and Orlando are so much more comfortable around each other than they were in the previous story, so they’re both more free to do and say whatever they please.
- The personalities of the two her
Neet
Apr 27, 2013 marked it as to-read
This is the second in the Cambridge Fellowes Mysteries and we find the two lovers wanting to get away for a summer vacation after the horrors that were discovered in the first book.Orlando is hesitant, but Jonty convinces him to three weeks to go to a luxury hotel in Jersey (in the Channel Island). The voyage is rough, Orlando is quite sea sick, but gets better when they finally arrive at their destination.Orlando doesn't intend for Jonty and he to have relations because he feels, unsafe out and ...more
Susana
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Some months after the murders in St. Bride's College, Jonty Stewart tries to convince his fellow teacher and lover Orlando Coppersmith that they need some holidays. Though Orlando fears discovery if they indulge in the world outside their secluded college rooms, he finally agrees and manages to enjoy a relaxing time…Until an attempt at seduction and a gruesome murder come to shatter their holidays…
Jonty and Orlando are back, still trying to make their relationship work, and while enjo
Julesmarie
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was wonderfully great fun! Jonty and Orlando's relationship continues to develop in fascinating ways, and it was fun to get to see them in a different setting. I loved that it was long enough that I got to see them bickering and making up and quarreling and apologizing and all the time building a stronger and stronger relationship. Beautifully well done.

The mystery this time wasn't nearly as mysterious, but I couldn't care. The setting and all of the quirky secondary characters at the hotel
Heather
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Re-Read Reveiw June 2016:
Loved it even more the second time around. It was so great seeing the duo on vacation and watching Orlando be a little more free and open without completely straying from his usual careful self.

Original Review August 2014:
This entry finds our two young lovers on vacation. Jonty is his usual vivacious self, Orlando at first is also his usual cautious, sometimes overly cautious, self but he begins to grow more confident as their vacation goes on. Their love is also growing
Suze
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
A gentle cosy mystery set in gentler times.
Orlando is so up tight about things that modern day folk wouldn't even blink at - though he probably is highly buttoned up even for that era! What I like about these is that they (to me anyway) seem to stay true to the era.
The slow pace of a slow summer holiday comes over, interspersed with murder, clues and lots of potential culprits added along the way. And their entertainments are very redolent of a bygone age.
As Orlando relaxes into his holiday, all
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
4.1 Stars

I love how even something as serious as a murder can be set back for Orlando & Jonty to enjoy the discovery and love for each other.

Unlike last time, I was able to deduce the culprit - mainly because one of them laughingly mentioned that after the incidents at St. Brides the previous year it would most likely be the least likely suspect. And I was right! Of course, I hadn't the why of it so that was an interesting turn of events.

Also, for a book on the Non-Explicit list, it sure was
Mara Ismine
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent murder mystery and some very amusing moments as Orlando's sheltered upbringing falls under Jonty's determined assaults.

I dithered a bit before starting this because the series isn't numbered or listed in order on the sales sites, so I accidentally read the blurb for book eight while looking for book three (which I bought at the same time as this one).

I'm classing the series as romance because the relationship between Jonty and Orlando is an important part of each installment, but ke
Plainbrownwrapper
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, read-again-maybe
Wow -- I had already forgotten, just from a coupla weeks ago when I read the first of these, just how appealing the tone of these books is to me. So sweet and innocent and charming. This is really the closest I've come to the "cozy" mystery type in mm books, I think. I hope the whole series continues this well!

This installment in the series had much less mystery, and more of Jonty and Orlando's developing relationship. It was NOT action packed, which suited me just fine but might bore other folk
Elizabeth H.
I read this whole book just wanting to read the scene where the two men consummate their love through penetrative sex -- there, how's that for a delicate way of putting it? And even though Cochrane writes sex scenes in the waves-crashing-on-the-beach manner, I still found both the scene and the book thoroughly satisfying.

I didn't guess the murderer, though the suspect did cross my mind, so that part of the plot was a success. But of course these book really center on Jonty and Orlando. I do thi
Tara Mcmillan
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm liking this series more than I initially thought I would. While for an MM it's rather "clean", it has its virtues. I liken it to a cross between Jane Austin and Ellery Queen with the protagonist couple being two men... It's almost like the "between-the-lines" imaginary relationship people (MM readers, of course) like to believe exists between Sherlock Holmes and Watson. I actually look forward to the next book, but need a break in between for some less intellectual, "dirty", MM romance, lol.
Kate McMurray
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have some niggles, but for the most part, I'm really enjoying this series (as evidenced by the fact that I've been devouring it so rapidly). I'm not sure Orlando's naivete is plausible, I solved the mystery before the characters did, so those things are not as successful, but I love the period detail, a lot of the dialogue between Jonty and Orlando is really wonderful, and most of this story is told with a wink. Very enjoyable over all. I'm already a chunk of the way into the next book.
  • The Dark Farewell
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • False Colors
  • Seducing Stephen
  • The Psychic and the Sleuth
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Lover's Knot
  • Downtime
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • A Private Gentleman
  • Beyond Reckless
  • The Back Passage (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #1)
Because Charlie Cochrane couldn't be trusted to do any of her jobs of choice—like managing a rugby team—she writes. Her mystery novels include the Edwardian era Cambridge Fellows series, series, and the contemporary Best Corpse for the Job. Multi-published, she has titles with Carina, Samhain, Riptide and Bold Strokes, among others.

A member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, Mystery People a
More about Charlie Cochrane...

Cambridge Fellows (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)
  • Lessons in Temptation (Cambridge Fellows, #5)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Cambridge Fellows, #6)
  • Lessons in Trust (Cambridge Fellows, #7)
  • All Lessons Learned (Cambridge Fellows, #8)
  • Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows, #9)
  • Lessons for Suspicious Minds (Cambridge Fellows, #10)
  • Lessons for Idle Tongues (Cambridge Fellows, #11)