Start by marking “The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives” as Want to Read:

The final and conclusive book in the groundbreaking series on boys and their development In this climax to his series of landmark books about boys, Michael Gurian offers a powerful new program to help us give our sons a core purpose-a program based on building morality, character, career goals, the ability to form intimate relationships, selflessness, personal and communit ...more
Published April 6th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Purpose of Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purpose of Boys

Start your review of The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
Natalie
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I told my husband he HAS to read this book. The main point of the book is that too many boys are growing up without finding a purpose for their life. The author offers lots (perhaps too much) of brain science to explain what boys truly need and how we can help them grow up with a purpose. Also explained is why boys need men in their lives as teachers, coaches, scout leaders, & mentors as well as fathers. One of my favorite parts is about why computer game & tv time needs to be limited. It explai ...more
Rick
Oct 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Being a father of three daugthers, but one who works with young men in the Scouting program, I bought this book in hopes of understanding a bit more about the young men I work with. I found much in the first half of the book to reinforce my concerns about the development of young men into responsible adults in our society. In the book, I found a few ideas that may help me in my work with these young men. Additionally, I thought many of the author's ideas (for example his sections on video games, ...more
Carolyn
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Non-fiction. I'm skimming it, focusing on the parts about younger boys, as that's what's pertinent to me: grandmother of an about-to-be 8 year old.
Found the first chapters to be very helpful - the statistics startling - the information about how the male brain develops differently from the female brain eyeopening.
Would recommend this be on the reading list of all students in the education field, teachers both male and female, and all parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts
This is actual the final
Erika
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
A useful resource in helping one discern how to guide boys toward their purpose physically, spiritually, intellectually and emotionally. Found it to be full of inspiring information and recommend it to anyone who is raising or working with boys. Will go back to this again in a few years!
Liz
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of my research for my paper on fatherhood. Really great book about what boys need at different stages of life. I would highly recommend this book, especially to single moms or anyone trying to get through the teen years with boys.
Michelle
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting in the biological examination of boys brains, but it fell flat as far as providing practical applications of how to assist my nine year old son in navigating his preteen years.
Kristen
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it
A good book to read. I didn't exactly like all of it, but it has some great sections of questions to engage your boys in important conversations with.
Vanessa Baldwin
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one I wouuld buy and keep around for re-reading. My sister-in-law and I talk a lot about men and boys and what they need, what makes them who they are. Great book.
Jeff Halstead
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
For educators concerned about how boys fare in our school system, this is a very insightful book.
Erik Bishoff
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found "The Purpose of Boys" to be a very relevant and timely read. Millennial boys are succeeding at a much lower rate than their female counterparts regardless of opportunity and socio-economic background. The statistics are troubling.

Author Michael Gurian does an expert job explaining where, socially, things started going wrong for our boys and young men and follows up with relevant stories and statistics to explain what the current situation is. Most importantly, he provides the reader wit
Beth
Sep 11, 2009 rated it liked it
I really liked the first four chapters of this book. The information about how boys develop and why, what process they are going through, what is important in their lives in terms of internal psychology, how to help guide them in life, all this was very informative and helpful information. But once the book moved into the more nuts and bolts of how to create the right environment for the boys, I lost interest. (Doesn't that sound horrible!)
So I stopped reading at chapter 7. But for anyone who is
Arlene
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I got some good pointers (mainly about adolescence). I can really use this information for both my children.

There is something in this book for everyone.

I found that this was more directed to single mothers. Great idea on finding male mentors/support for a boy.

I skipped through the book but what I read was worth it.
Becky
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of really great ideas for helping your boys find their purpose in life. A lot of questions that I will be copying down to use for the future in helping my four boys find their purpose. Very highly recommended
Diane
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
As the mother of 2 girls and 1 boy and a female myself who intuitively understands girls not boys, I really wanted to understand my son better and what makes him tick. This book gave me some really good insight and parenting advice. I highly recommend it to mothers of sons.
Mckaye
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Although I liked this book, I'll have to remember it when we get closer to the pre-teen years!
Christine
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, read-2011
A bit of a disappointment, though I expect I'll continue to pick it up as the boys grow.
DeNae
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book for anyone who works or lives with boys and young men.
Marni
Apr 28, 2009 marked it as to-read
Brand spanking new book by Michael Gurian, author of "The Wonder of Boys."
Rebekah
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Life changing. Great questions to ask boys. So grateful we have an awesome community of mentors/leaders/friends for 5 sons.
Andrea Smart

• Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Leap First: Creating Work That Matters
  • Just Do The Damn Thing: How To Sit Your @ss Down Long Enough To Exert Willpower, Develop Self Discipline, Stop Procrastinating, Increase Productivity, ... Self Help Motivation for Men and Women)
  • You Know You Want This
  • Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide to Joy
  • The Signature of All Things
  • The New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
  • The Myth of the Strong Leader: Political Leadership in the Modern Age
  • Advanced Law of Attraction Techniques: Mastering Manifestation and Attracting What You Want Fast!
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • The Tragedy of Liberation: A History of the Chinese Revolution 1945-1957
  • Mao's Great Famine: The History Of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-62
  • To Pixar and Beyond: My Unlikely Journey with Steve Jobs to Make Entertainment History
  • The Cultural Revolution: A People's History, 1962-1976
  • Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One
  • Trump vs. China: Facing America's Greatest Threat