Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “When We Dead Awaken” as Want to Read:
When We Dead Awaken
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

When We Dead Awaken

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  858 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
When We Dead Awaken (Norwegian: Når vi døde vågner) is the last play written by Norwegian dramatist Henrik Ibsen. Published in December 1899, Ibsen wrote the play between February and November of that year.
Paperback, 124 pages
Published October 3rd 2005 by Dodo Press (first published 1899)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about When We Dead Awaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Dead Awaken

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Riku Sayuj
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays, translated

Just listen to the silence once the dead awaken in the epilogue. The silence that speaks of the irony - of confused expectations - as we live through life expecting our lives to make some sort of a big impact and in the end find that the artist we posed for has made us only a background figure in the crowd… is that what we gave our lives for? Is that the God-Artist we worshipped, not the cruel one… the ironic one?
Amirsaman
آیا مایا - که پی خوشیِ در لحظه است - زندگی را بُرده، یا روبک و ایرنا، که از خلق کردن زنده هستند؟ همهی آنها ولی برای رسیدن به قلهی کوه - که چشماندازی گسترده دارد - مشتاق هستند. مایا حاضر نیست تاوان آن را بدهد و از این مسیر سخت عبور کند، روبک و ایرنا این بها را میپردازند و با خوشحالی به استقبال مرگی چنین عاشقانه میروند.

میزانسن نمایش، بیشتر سینمایی است تا تئاتری؛ حداقل فکر نمیکنم در ایران صحنهی نمایشی به این عظمت موجود باشد.
به یاد سارابند برگمان افتادم، آن فیلم هم مثل نمایشنامهی ایبسن، آخرین اثر اس
...more
 Sophia B
The end of a great line of plays - the drama that draws together all the puzzles and threads from all the other plays and from all of Ibsens own dramas - his life. To understand this abstract play you have to have really read a lot of him. There are metaphors upon metaphors and hints and lines that reflect upon previous characters and endings and as well, it reflects Ibsens view of his own life, his struggle, his choices and doubts. I recommend Erling Sandmos afterword, that reflect upon all the ...more
Hadi
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theater-books
آخرین نوشته و نمایشنامه ی هنریک ایبسن، پدر نمایشنامه نویسی مدرن، انگار که حال و هوای زندگی خود ایبسن سالخورده را دارد. هنرمندی سالخورده با دو زنی که شاید یکی نماد ظاهریِ هنر و زندگی بود و دیگری باطن یا به قول خود ایبسن کلید صندوقچه ی سینه ی یک هنرمند. به نظرم اینکه یک هنرمندِ سالخورده ی رو به زوال، برگردد و به پشت سر خود نگاه کرده و فاصله ی خود با حقیقت هنر را ببیند شاید تلنگری باشد از جانب ایبسن به همه ی خوانندگان و تماشاگران او که: یک روز نوبت به تک تک شما نیز خواد رسید.
Pegah
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
به نوک قله رفتن لزوماً به معنای رسیدن به شکوه و عظمت نیست و ایبسن میخواد ما این رو بدونیم قبل از این که برای شعر آزادی خوندن دیر بشه. ...more
Armin Hamidiiran
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
نسخه ى انگليسى رو خوندم:
ديالوگ ها (به خصوص در پرده ى دوم) بسيار زيبا و صادقانه بودند كه به جا و قابل ستايشه. و بخونيم و ياد بگيريم كه چطور ميشه از نماد ها به درستى استفاده كرد.
به نظر من: نمايش نامه اى تقريباً كوتاه و (بعضاً) واقعاً زيبا در مورد مجسمه سازى كه همچنان درگير شاهكارش در گذشته و متعاقباً مدل همان مجسمه كه معشوقه اش هم شده بوده، است. اسمش آرنولد و صادق ترين كاراكتر داستان است. كه مى تواند به نوعى خودِ ايبسن باشد.
Connor
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
What the fuck did I just read. Picked this up from the Said book On Late Style which discussed this briefly.

Insanely dark, depressing, full of imagery of rocks/turning into rocks/ossification. Some pretty obvious symbolism in this work, which isn't particularly interesting (the tangible muse trying to murder him), but the overall sense of being dead and struggling to be alive was really interesting and well-played out.
Hossein
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اين نمايشنامه آخرين اثر ايبسن مي باشد.
همانند نمايشنامه هاي ستون هاي جامعه و دشمن ملت سبك "وقتي ما مردگان سر برداريم " هم رئاليسم مي باشداما نكته اي كه در ان وجود دارد اين است كه از مباني نمادين بيش تري نسبت به دو نمايشنامه ي قبل برخوردار است.
در انتهاي پرده ي سوم هم با يك پايان تراژديك روبرو مي شويم.
Othy
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
I've never been much one for reading drama (as opposed to seeing it performed), so I don't read many plays. I was, though, very much impressed with this one for purely literary reasons. I'm not sure how one would stage this one, especially with the ending, though as a pure story I thought it was very masterfully done. Creepy and enigmatic, though going just far deep enough so that one can get the idea of just how much further the ideas go.
Manar
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Two stars: one for the avalanche and the other for Maia's stupid song.

I'm free! I'm free!

Imagine listening to your professor singing the song and jumping around class. It did not do Ibsen's play any good. I do believe Irena is either dumb or has mental issues for not freeing herself from whatever the sick feelings she had for a man who appreciates his art more than his muse!
Roya
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
دلم می خواست بیش تر دوستش داشته باشم
Steven
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Ibsen play, his last, and haunted by questions of death, love, work, and giving to meaning to life ... climbing a mountain to die in an avalanche.
Vatroslav Herceg
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Društvo hrvatskih književnika- ogranak u Rijeci
i
HNK "Ivana pl. Zajca"
Rijeka, 2001.
"Kada se mi mrtvi probudimo" je posljednja Ibsenova drama koja je izdana kao knjiga 1899. Konstrukcija joj je raspoređena u tri čina.
Jezik je jednostavan, protestanskospartanski jezgrovit, sažet, no pun emocionalnog naboja. Dijalozi su ostvareni, uglavnom, kratkim izjavama.
Atmosfera je kulerska, podsjeća na Shakespearovu "Oluju", u vidu njene snovitosti, a i u pogledu radnje, zato jer se odigrava u prirodi, u plani
...more
Matthew
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
It is often the case that a writer ends their career on a disappointing work. Charles Dickens followed two brilliant novels (A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations) with the weaker Our Mutual Friend, his last complete work. After writing two of his richest novels (The Little Sister and The Long Goodbye), Raymond Chandler’s last finished novel, Payback, is rather thin. Similarly Dostoevsky’s last novel is A Raw Youth, hardly a great work.

It would be nice to think that Ibsen would have ended
...more
Chiek Er
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
A second chance

Most of us have at least one great love or infatuation in our early lives that we let slip because we were too stupid, or too afraid to try only to regret forever for the rest of our lives. Some dwell on their loss and live like a dead men in a world without someone to love. Few have the rare fortune like professor Rubek to be reunited with the love of his life, Irene, after being separated for many years and was awaken from the dead. Others regret their loss but become reconciled
...more
Charles Berman
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Poetic and spare evocation of our simultaneous yearning for and dread of the full experience of life; revolves around familiar themes of Ibsen with a sense of both finality and deliberate ambiguity.
Yazan
مسرحيّة "حين بُعثنا نحن الموتى" هي آخر مسرحيّات إبسن.
ثمة إغراء يدفع المرء إلى مقارنتها بـ "العاصفة" لشيكسپير. آخر عملين لأعظم مسرحيّين على الإطلاق.

نجد في "حين بُعثنا نحن الموتى" حنينًا حارقًا إلى الشّعر الذي كان إبسن قد تخلّى عنه ليبدأ مرحلته "الاجتماعيّة النقديّة"، بل وقال صراحةً إنّه لم يعد يرى مكانًا للشعر في المسرح، بل ينبغي أن يُكتَب بلغةٍ تعبّر عن شخصيّة قائلها.
الجدير بالملاحظة هي أنّ أعمال إبسن الأفضل هي أعماله الشعريّة لا النثريّة؛ أعماله المركبّة لا أعماله البسيطة الناقدة. ولكنّ الذائق
...more
Mike
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned
2.5 stars. I wish I liked this play more than I do because Ibsen’s later prose plays are some of my favorite ever written. But the symbolism here is too heavy-handed, the characters are too stereotypically brooding, and the ending is almost laughable. I only wish Ibsen’s health had lasted for another decade so that he could have made the transition into the next phase of his career.
Kaveh
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, play
آخرين نمايشنامه ايبسن است. هرچقدر فكر ميكنم نمى دانم اجرايش در يك فضاى بسته چگونه ممكن است. به نظر به محيط گسترده اى نياز داشته باشد.
مى گويند چهار اثر پايانى ايبسن پيوستگى خاصى باهم دارند. "استاد سُلنس معمار"، " آيُلف كوچولو"، "جان گابريل بوركمان"، "وقتى ما مردگان سربرداريم". اين جداى آن است كه خود ايبسن، تمامى آثارش را يك كل پيوسته مى داند كه درك هركدام از آن ها بدون بقيه كامل نخواهد بود.
جويس اين اثر ايبسن را بسيار دوست داشته است، و نيز برنارد شاو. ايبسن در اينجا، فاصله اش را با رئاليسم مرسوم
...more
Smoothw
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
There are much, much better musings about the artistic process than this gloomy play with overly obvious symblism, although there are definitely flashes of great writing in here
Ali
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very strange play.
It reminded me of a story I heard about a boy who fell in love with his best friend when they were children. They grew up together and eventually dated on again off again from the age of twelve to about the age of seventeen. However, she died in an accident. He continued to love her for five years, going out with all kinds of girls that didn't mean anything, waiting for the day when they would be reunited. And then, one day, he woke up and he didn't love her anymore. This gir
...more
Fabio
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Story has it that during a female rights gathering Ibsen remarked that he was not worthy of the introduction as a 'fighter for women's rights,' because he never consciously wrote with the intention of writing propaganda for the cause. I believe it.

If the story was not true and he was merely an apologist of women's rights, the value of Ibsen's work would be just historical, as some early advocate of morals we consider standard today. But that would be boring, the way most liberation stories are t
...more
Sarah
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Ali
May 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
ایبسن در این آخرین نمایش نامه اش ("وقتی ما مردگان سر برداریم") به زبان روشن تری به همان موضوعات همیشگی پرداخته. "ایرنه" می خواهد به قله صعود کند تا جهان را از آن نقطه به "روبک" نشان دهد. روبک که این پیشنهاد را شوخی می پندارد در انتها به خواست ایرنه پاسخ مثبت می دهد، اما روزی که هوا مساعد نیست، هر دو صعود می کنند، بهمنی فرو می ریزد و ... اغلب منتقدین "هداگابلر" و "اشباح" را شاهکارهای ایبسن می دانند، و آخرین نمایش نامه های ایبسن چندان مورد استقبال قرار نگرفت. "وقتی ما مردگان سر برداریم" همراه با " ...more
محمد عبادة
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theater-plays
Only to think how Ibsen's translator and critic Mr.William Archer was wrong when he thought this play wasn't a masterpiece of Ibsen in the sense that Ghosts - for example - was!
One of the gloomiest and most aesthetically superior works of art that I ever came across, it's worth being Ibsen's last play and life conclusion ..
Mr.Archer believed that it was a possibility that the deterioration of Ibsen's mind could have begun while he was working on it, for reasons relating to those logical jumps an
...more
Antje
Was sich Ibsen hierbei gedacht hat, ist mir schleierhaft.

Als durchaus reizvoll empfand ich, die Handlung außerhalb irgendwelcher düsteren Stuben und anderen Räumlichkeiten stattfinden zu sehen. So spielen sämtliche Szenen im Freien und am Ende gar in den zerklüfteten Höhen eines Gebirges. Hätte Ibsen zwei Generationen später gelebt, würde ich allerdings mutmaßen, er hätte sich von schwülstigen Heimatfilmen inspirieren lassen. Denn über deren Oberflächlichkeit kommt dieses Drama auch nicht heraus
...more
Adrian Colesberry
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I went on a tear on 2007 and read all of Henrik Ibsen and all of August Strindberg. Before I could get to all of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, I had to turn back to writing, and I can't read while I write. Ibsen is wonderful. The thing I like most about Ibsen is that he loves and respects women at least in his writing. Not all of his plays are tragedies either. Many are very funny and many have mixed endings, not all are downers.
Though I'm not a big fan of Peer Gynt. Strindberg's parody of Peer Gyn
...more
zeinab
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
هنرك ايبسن انه الطبيب الذى لم يستطع ان يكمل دراسته بسبب ديون والده وعمله كمساعد صيدلى...قرأت له بيت الدميه والبطه البريه وايولف الصغير وكلها كانت تناقش مشاكل المجتمع ككل حالة عامه...اما مسرحيتنا اليوم وهى عندما نرجع من الموت حالة فرديه للنحات كل مايهتم به نجاحه حتى لو ادى ذلك الى اهمال قلب تعلق به
بطله المسرحيه وسر وحى الرسام البطل الذى اهملها حتى كان اعمى البصيره كما جاء على لسان البطل حتى هربت البطله بعدما انتهى من منحوته ففقد سر وحيه وتزوج باخرى فاصبح كخزانه للافكار موصده لايستطيع ان يخرج الاف
...more
Jwee Chiek
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Last play by Ibsen but just as incredibly enjoyable and philosophical on life like his earlier stuff. Most normal folks would have had a least one great love or infatuation in their lives to have escaped them. They cursed and cried over their loss because of their inaction and cowardice. They swore henceforth that happiness was dead. Rarely would one have the fortune of Professor Rubek to encounter ones lost love later in life and wake from the dead. A second chance to seize his Irene, the love ...more
Realini
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
When We Dead Awaken by Henrik Ibsen

Here is another play that I have to mark down as a loss.
It may be very good, although it is not included among Ibsen’s major works.
And I must say that I have listened to and enjoyed more than five of his plays,
In this last case, I did not find the proper time, or mood and the experience failed.
A condition sine qua non for enjoyment is attention, and I haven’t even been attentive throughout the play. In other words, this is play that I should try again, some oth
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Ghost Sonata
  • Naked Masks: Five Plays
  • Orestes and Other Plays
  • Erasmus Montanus or Rasmus Berg
  • Morgon og kveld
  • The Prince of Homburg
  • The White Devil
  • Martin Bircks ungdom (Delfinserien)
  • Victoria
  • The Robbers and Wallenstein
  • Six Great Modern Plays
  • Three Tragedies: Blood Wedding, Yerma, Bernarda Alba
  • The Servant of Two Masters
  • Jenny
  • Hvite Niggere
  • Ashes to Ashes
1,208 followers
Henrik Johan Ibsen was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama." Ibsen is held to be the greatest of Norwegian authors and one of the most important playwrights of all time, celebrated as a national symbol by Norwegians.

His plays were considered scandalous to many of his era, when Victorian valu
...more
More about Henrik Ibsen

Fiction Deals

  • Mercy Among the Children
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Darkness There: Selected Tales by Edgar Allan Poe [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • An Empty Cup
    $3.99 $1.99
  • I Like You Just Fine When You're Not Around
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Abby's Journey
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Underground River
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Word Game
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraulein M.
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sister of Mine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bury What We Cannot Take
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Thunder and Rain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • All Grown Up
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Light of Hidden Flowers
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Ecstasy
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Towers of Tuscany
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • The List
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lost & Found
    $5.74 $1.99
  • A Watershed Year
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Savage
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Designer
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Novice: A Story of True Love
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Go Away Home
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Leaving of Things
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Flower
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $9.99 $1.99
  • This Burns My Heart
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Journeys of Socrates
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • An Absent Mind
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Book of Ruth
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Smoke
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Covenant
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Digging In
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Confessions of Catherine de Medici
    $11.99 $12.99
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Long Way Home
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Going Home
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Glass
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Super Sad True Love Story
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Prayers and Lies
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Go the F**k to Sleep
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Daughter of Union County
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Fighting Ground
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Sugar Men
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Vengeance Road
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Every Note Played
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Asymmetry
    $13.99 $3.99
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Mrs. Fletcher
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Optimist's Guide to Letting Go
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Ungifted
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Julie of the Wolves
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Mrs. Saint and the Defectives
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stiltsville: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • To the Bright Edge of the World
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Patriots
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Flicker of Old Dreams
    $9.99 $1.99
  • All the Good Parts
    $3.99 $1.99
  • At Risk
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Food of Love
    $3.99 $1.99
  • So Long, See You Tomorrow
    $11.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Every Ugly Word
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kings of Broken Things
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Edward Adrift
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Først når vi døde våkner, ser vi det uopprettelige, nemlig at vi aldri har levet.” 7 likes
“Not in that sense. What I need is the companionship of another person who can, as it were, complete me—supply what is wanting in me—be one with me in all my striving. MAIA.” 2 likes
More quotes…