Start by marking “The Better of McSweeney's, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
The Better of McSweeney's, Vol. 2

The Better of McSweeney's, Vol. 2

McSweeney's Quarterly Concern features every kind of writing you can imagine, plus a few brand new kinds. The Better of McSweeney's, Volume 2 features science fiction, immigration drama, and naval disasters. There are tragically dysfunctional families and enjoyably dysfunctional families. There are movie stars and bears, and a man who marries a tree. The Better of McSweene ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by McSweeney's

To ask other readers questions about The Better of McSweeney's, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Better of McSweeney's, Vol. 2

Kristy
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
For the most part, I enjoyed the stories. There were a few that I found myself almost flipping through. If it didn't catch my attention from the first page, then I couldn't read the rest.
Sean Pagaduan
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like Dave Eggers, people who are tired of the same old lit mags
It's a collection of mostly good stories. Probably the best are "A Child's Book of Sickness and Death" and "What Keller Did to His Foot in the Navy." It's just one of those books where you have to thumb through a few stories to see if you'll like it or not.

The stories do get a little tiring after a while, just because Dave Eggers kind of likes to select the same kinds of stories with the same kinds of voices.

Also, some of the reviews here are mentioning stories from volume 1, not volume 2. There
Jonathan
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, strange, and beautifully strange stories from a publishing house known for experimental fiction.

I have read, almost cover-to-cover, some of the issues from which these stories are selected, and whoever had to go picking stories did a good job: my favorites from almost each issue were there for re-reading along with some new stories from issues I had not yet read.

My favorite two were A Child's Book of Sickness and Death and After the Disaster: both a little disturbing, both with vivid
SEEREAD
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I think I finished this. Not really sure. I think I liked vol. 1 better.
David
Jul 25, 2011
Dave Lancea
Feb 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Dave Eggers is the author of ten books, including most recently Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever?, The Circle and A Hologram for the King, which was a finalist for the 2012 National Book Award. He is the founder of McSweeney’s, an independent publishing company based in San Francisco that produces books, a quarterly journal of new writing (McSweeney’s Quarterly ...more