Start by marking “Just Grandpa and Me” as Want to Read:
Just Grandpa and Me

Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  1,416 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In a sweet-and-silly picture book starring Mercer Mayer's popular Little Critter, we see Little Critter and his grandfather head for a shopping expedition in the city. Little Critter is a big help to his grandfather, holding his hand in the store so his grandfather won't get lost, teaching him how to go up and down escalators, and even showing him how to use chopsticks in ...more
Published March 13th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Just Grandpa and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Grandpa and Me

Reading Level: Early Early

Topic/Theme: Shopping, Grandparents

Issues Addressed: Relationships with grandfathers

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading

Summary: Little Critter needs a new suit; therefore, he goes shopping with Grandpa to buy one. This book is the adventure of their day.

Text and image: the illustrations are colorful; however part of the irony of the book is that they do
Shelly Kittell
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such cute books. I remember reading them to my kids when they were little. Now the grandkids get read to.
Lorelai Wilkinson
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first Mercer Mayer book I've ever read and I definitely don't regret it. A very good humorous grandpa story about going on a day out with a Grandpa to buy a new suit. There is a spider and grasshopper on almost every page that you can have your child look for to keep their attention. For an adult reader, the writing was written perfectly. It has a really good flow to it. For a young reader, I wouldn't say its a beginner reader because of a few larger words like department store, revolving, an ...more
Grace Bradley
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Critter goes to town with his Grandpa to look for a new suit. The Little Critter shops in the mall with his Grandpa, and tries on different suits until he picks his favorite one. They then go to the movies, and the Little Critter says he lets Grandpa pay. Before they get back on the train, Grandpa takes the Little Critter to dinner. Once they get home, the Little Critter shows his mom the suit that he and Grandpa had picked out. Mom was able to see what the Little Critter and Grandpa had ...more
Lucy Hernandez
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
Sweet book. For those lucky kids that have grandparents around them, it is wonderful to spend time with them. Share and enjoy special moments with them are going to be kept in children's memories for ever. Grandparents play an important role in a child's life.

I feel kind of sad because my children raised without their company. They live in Colombia and we don't have the opportunity to visit them very often.

Extension:
Grandparents are lovely and sweet. Ask the children, one by one, what grandpare
I did not have this type of relationship with my grandpa, but I can see this relationship between my nieces, my nephew and my father. I think this book would be perfect to read for Grandparent's Day. I really enjoyed this book. I would ask the students if they have ever had any experiences like what took place in this book.

Interest Level http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/bo...
Genre
Comedy and Humo
Seth
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
PB:40 Just Grandpa And Me. Great reminder of how special not only grandpa's are but grandparents in general. My grandparents have played a huge role in my development as a person and them being close to me all of my life has me blessed. I enjoyed the illustrations simply because they just put a smile on your face by looking at how happy his grandpa and him are. Nothing like hanging out with your grandpa making memories! :)
Rosa Cline
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Usually my granddaughter and I really enjoy Little Critter books; but this one just didn't do it for me. It's almost word for word the "just Me and My Mom" but also the things that Grandpa let's him do in public is just nuts, a very spoiled child. Usually Little Critter books are better self image or learning lesson books. very disappointed in this book.
Aysheh M
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute book to share with young children as I reminisce when I was a youngster. I always loved these books because they taught a lesson or the special bond between a grandchild and grandfather/grandmother.
Daniel
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Mercer Mayer stories are awesome! I love the ironies that populate these books. The main character is constantly contradicting what is really happening with his words. Classic writing and illustration! Can't get enough of these books! Love 'em!
Gala
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My daughter did not have much time with her grandpa because of location but this book kind of makes you imagine what it would be like if you could go shopping with him.Sequencing and vocabulary words for the beginner reader.
Mike Violano
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I got this book as a birthday gift from my grandson when he was only 6 months old. Mercer Mayer is one of my very favorite children's book authors and I have a number of his books that I read to my daughters over the years.
I'm saving this one to read to my grandson when he's a wee bit older.
Caitlyn
Oct 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just Grandpa and Me is a picture book that shows a positive relationship between a grandchild and his grandfather. This would be a good choice for an emergent reader. The words in this book are confirmed by the pictures. Just Grandpa and Me would be a good book to read independently.
Liana
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best book series ever for children!
Andrea
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Little Critter goes into the city with the hopes of buying a suit with his Grandpa. Grandpa and Little Critter share the same sense of style. Mama Critter might not approve.
krym
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice read aloud for toddlers about grandparents and shopping. It's funny just like all little critter books.
Rima Aroutiounian
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
The other Grandpa and Me is a book about grandpa teaching his grandchild where things are in the kitchen. Great toddler's book. Letter Knowledge and vocabulary.
Ronda
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my very favorites!!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children. a cute story about sharing things with your grandparents
Jayna
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, stores
Little Critter takes Grandpa to get a new suit. Another cute Mercer Mayer story could be included on the bookshelf for a family unit.
Brent Rogers
Feb 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-aloud
This is a book about Little Critter and his grandpa doing things together. This book is a good story for a boy to read so he can remember the things he and his grandpa do.
Caryn
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The words "Mercer Mayer" say it all. It's a classic! I love the things that it has him and his Grandpa doing! Your kids will like this one!
Anna
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-by-myself
They went through the revolving door and they got him a new suit.
Liza
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Little critter, grandpa, family
Cws
May 14, 2009 added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR1-May
B
This is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors Mercer Mayer. I like this book because my mom read this series to me as a child. A great read aloud book.
Sharla
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites as a kid, and my kids kids enjoyed this book too. Very cute illustrations!
Lucia Benzor
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Let me just say that I love all of Mercer Mayer's book. They are talented. It was just the sweetness I expected from this book. A very nice read.
Heather Ligman
cute. little critter helps Grandpa go shopping. he has a big job helping grandpa by holding his hand so he doesn't get lost. he has a lot of confidence and a patient grandpa
Katie Lee
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story about spending time with family. Great illustrations that show humor that the kids will love.
  • Froggy Goes to the Doctor
  • The Crayon Box That Talked
  • Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies
  • Biscuit Visits the Big City
  • My Dog Is As Smelly As Dirty Socks: And Other Funny Family Portraits
  • Show Me Your Smile! A Visit to the Dentist (Dora the Explorer)
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • Charlie the Caterpillar
  • When Winter Comes
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself