Start by marking “East o' the Sun & West o' the Moon” as Want to Read:
East o' the Sun & West o' the Moon

East o' the Sun & West o' the Moon

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  15 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
A girl travels east of the sun and west of the moon to free her beloved prince from a magic spell.
Published October 20th 1988 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about East o' the Sun & West o' the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East o' the Sun & West o' the Moon

Caroline Berg
This is my favorite tale of all time. It is a little like Beauty and the Beast, but Beauty is not passive, oh no, she goes out and fights for her man. It is a little like Eros and Psyche - beware! Do not look upon the one you love! Or terrible tasks await you! It is a tale of greed for money, greed for titles, greed for a kingdom. And it is a tale of love - love of family, love of a stranger, and what people will do for love. The heroine grows through the tale, you can see her gain wisdom and re ...more
Rachel Thomas
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
title: East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon (traditional fantasy)
author: none
illustrator: Gillian Barlow
Publisher: Philomel Books
Date of publication:1988
Summary: The lassie works hard so that she can find the prince to marry him. She shows what true love really is. I really enjoyed this book
Shari
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a good children's picture book, with fine illustrations, and translated by Sir George Webbe Dasent from the Asbjornsen/Moe Norwegian tales. I would like to find other translations. I question whether the Norwegian tales used the word, "Lassie" to indicate a young girl. I found this out of place and overused.
Zether Books
This story was similar to Beauty & the Beast and it's retelling A Court of Thorns and Roses. I had never heard of the story before, but I did enjoy it. There were a few problematic elements, but I think that's true of all fairytales.
Krysta
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was my first time reading the book... it was interesting. I will read other versions of it, but I did not really like it because it was odd and not congruent to me. In a sense, it seemed almost like a kidnapping.
Christie Angleton
rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2016