Start by marking “Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Hell's Horizon

D.B. Shan

Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,099 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
In the City, The Cardinal rules, and Al Jeery is a loyal member of his personal guard. But when Al is pulled from his duties at Party Central to investigate a murder, an unexpected crime scene discovery leads him to question all his loyalties and beliefs. Al is drawn into a terrifying mystery that features a series of corpses, the City's Incan forefathers, the imposing fig ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hell's Horizon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell's Horizon

Ahmad Sharabiani
Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2), D.B. Shan
Sita
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was on one of my once a century trips to Sydney with my parents (even though we’re in Canberra, 2 hours away from Sydney), we rarely go there. So we were in Sydney to see Twelth Night, which was really good by the way, great acting, great set, great directing. Okay, moving on. I was in Sydney and whenever I’m in Sydney I always go to Galaxy and stock up on books there (my favourite store of all time), and my dad knew that I liked Darren Shan so he showed me this one and I didn’t really see th ...more
Dan
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
The second book in Darren Shan's "The City" trilogy is one of those that doesn't directly follow on from the first. In fact the events of this book happen simultaneously with those of Procession of the Dead.

Here we focus on Al Jeery, one of the many mercenaries working for the City's crime lord, The Cardinal. It's a normal day doing mercenary-type things when Al finds his girlfriend Nic dead at the Cardinal's morgue, the Fridge. The next thing Al knows he is sent on a mission by the Cardinal to
Nancy
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hikachi
I've read the first book on the trilogy, a few months back, and put it as a "mind fuck" book. Cause the end was full with twists that I really didn't expect, including the final end.
Anyhow, in this trilogy, even though it's still on same timeline and still interwoven with the characters and setting from the first book. To me, this sequel is more popish.
It's not as dark and mind bugging as it's precedent. The main character, Al is more human than Carpac Raimi from the first book.
If Capac was some
Mahtab
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-city
I loved this and the first book of the trilogy , but this one was easier for me to read. You know, this had me reading better than the first one, probably because I was more familiar with The City & the atmosphere of the story this time.
While reading Procession of the Dead , I loved Capac almost since the beginning , but didn't know how to feel about him when he killed Dee , and at the end I just felt sorry for him.
While reading this one , I loved Al since the beginning and loved him more as
Sandra
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I just finished this books and..wow I have no words for it really, it was just amazing! In this sequel we follow other character than in the first books but honestly, I like this books much more then the first one! I liked Al more than Capac just because Al was soo loving, he would definitely do everything for the one's he loves, and Capac is just a monster. Ok, Al was able to murder but only to follow the orders, he wouldn't kill an innocent person, not like Capac. Anyway, the plot is just ...more
Donna
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, library
When Al Jeery is reassigned from his guard job to solve a murder, the clues lead him to disturbing discoveries about both the City and his own past.

This one is a fast, interesting noir story with some mystical elements. The setting, a strange city run by a crime lord named The Cardinal, hooked me in just as much as it did in the previous book. The investigation side of things had plenty of twists, though I did figure out the killer before Al got around to it.

The events of this book overlapped th
Zuzana Malá
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
...komentář není nutný..
Shan je blázen a já po tomhle díle už taky.
Mějte se. ČAU. BLÁZINEC ČEKÁ! Mám tam objednaný pokoj a vlastní knihovnu :D!
Joey Woolfardis
[Short and quick review from memory before I re-read and re-review at a later date:

The thing I remember most is that I won these books...]
Molly
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Procession, as the protagonist, Al Jeery, is rather two-dimensional. But still fascinating and good.
Sam Reader
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
            Okay, so the rundown is as follows. Hell's Horizon is a damn good detective story. It's a creepy mystery novel full of the surreal horror and unnerving violence that marked its predecessor. The dialogue and atmosphere are top-notch, and even if you can guess some of the plot twists before they hit, the way they're presented makes them feel newer and fresher.

Unfortunately, if you're squeamish, this is not the book for you. When the violence comes, it comes in lo
Matthew
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

As I cycled into the wind, a cliche whistled through my thoughts, and I grinned

- Al Jeery was on the case!

Praise, praise, praise!

Hell's Horizon delivers a fantastic sequel to Procession of the Dead. It's hard to categorise this trilogy, it's a mishmash of genres that Mr Shan weaves effortlessly. I'm still a little surprised by the detective-style dark fantasy this book contains.

But damn if it doesn't work.

The murky trails and cast of misfits all build a full world that spins you in ci
Chris
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having loved 'Procession of the Dead', I was eager to devour the second in Darrren Shan's 'The City Trilogy': 'Hell's Horizon'. Before I did, though, I re-read 'Procession of the Dead'.

'Hell's Horizon' takes place at the exact same time as 'Procession of the Dead', which is unusual for a book series (the only other instance I've read is George R.R. Martin's 'A Feast for Crows'/'A Dance with Dragons'). Whilst 'Procession' was told through the cocky, arrogant viewpoint of Capac Raimi, here we get
Brittany
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of DB Shan's work, murder mysteries
Recommended to Brittany by: Me
How I Came To Read This Book: Last year Harper Collins blessed me with an advance edition of "Procession of the Dead", the first in "The City" series, which ended up being one of my fave books of 08. I eagerly picked up the sequel when it came out this last week.

The Plot: Al Jeery is a member of the Troops, a security force serving The Cardinal with equal footing as the police in the City. During an otherwise routine evening, Al is suddenly thrust into the middle of a suspicious murder investiga
usagi ☆ミ
I’m so, SO glad that I was able to get my hands on the ARC for this. I really loved the first book in this series, “City of the Dead”, and it’s refreshing to see Shan’s style take a grittier turn than what we’ve seen with the “Cirque du Freak” and “Demonata” series, respectively.

Folks, this is YA fantasy noir at its best. And while the protagonist in this book wasn’t quite as charming as the one in the first (hence, only four out of five stars), but still really good. We’re back in the world wit
Kristina
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this one wasn't exactly easy reading for me either. While it was still a good story, I just couldn't find myself getting too attached to it. Hell's Horizon read a lot like a murder mystery. We spend the whole book trying to figure out who's behind the murders that lead back to the main character; Al Jeery. Thus speaking.

Al Jeery works at Party Central as a part of the Cardinal's personal guard. One night, he's pulled from his usual work to help at the Fridge and comes across a dead body that
Dana Salman
I think I definitely liked the first book better. Procession of the Dead was captivating because the mysterious side of it involved things that were inexplicable - people disappearing from sight and mind, blind priests, green fog, and Capac Raimi's hazy past. Hell's Horizon started out good enough - a who-dunnit murder case with plenty of suspects and little to get by on - but by the last hundred pages it became a matter of choosing the last person the main character Al Jeery would think of to f ...more
Christine Jones
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series, following a very different character who is experiencing life in this gritty, mob filled city, happily a part of the group running the show when he is asked to investigate a murder. Al Jeery is an interesting character whose development throughout this book is fascinating. He moves through his experiences, twisting and turning against the problems set against him and time and time again he proves his worth. This was in my opinion the best book in the trilog ...more
Deborah
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darren Shan's "Hell Horizon" is the second book in a series where the story is set in the City that is run by the Cardinal. Al Jeery is a member of the Cardinal's personal guard at Party Central. Jeery becomes involved in a series of personal murders. The Carinal offers Jeery the job of investigating the murders and solving the mystery.
I enjoyed Shan's first book in the series, "Procession of the Dead," more than i enjoyed this story. the terrifying and mythical character of Paucar Wami was much
Gregory Gay
The first novel in Shan's The City trilogy was a fast-paced thriller. It was a relentless ride to a satisfying finish.

The second entry, Hell's Horizon, shifts the tone a bit. It's more of a detective story - a "whodunit" taking place parallel to Procession of the Dead. The stories are only tangentially related, but Horizon does a good bit to flesh out the universe that the series is set in.

It's a good, noir-y crime story with just a touch of the supernatural. Not quite as addictive of a read a
Trinity
The Cardinal is the City and the City is The Cardinal. When Al Jeery is ordered by The Cardinal to investigate the murder of a woman at a hotel he has no idea that the dead woman is his girlfriend. Soon he is involved in a terrifying mystery that draws in the dead, the city's Incan forefathers, The Cardinal himself, and the assassin, Paucar Wami. Wami is a law unto himself, a shadowy, mysterious figure who can apparently kill anyone he chooses without fear of punishment or retribution. And Al is ...more
Kevin
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy Darren Shan and Mystery/Fantasy (Dark) Novels
This can't be better than Procession of the Dead, can it?
No of course not...Procession of the Dead was phenomenal
But wait...so was Hell's Horizon
It's impossible right?
Right...
Right.
Right?
Right!
RIGHHT!
______________________________

Yes, this book has driven me to complete madness. It completely blew my brains out by the end, all the pieces fell into place, it was shocking and mesmerizing, I am DYING to read The City of the Snakes
OH WAIT...it's right next to me
Lauren
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darren Shan's adult series, The City, makes his Cirque du Freak books look like bedtime stories! His second - and newest - installment, Hell's Horizon, is terrifying and gory (in the best way possible, of course). Combining elements of fantasy and science fiction with Incan mythology, this book is unlike any I've ever read before. It reminds me, a little, of the works of Philip K. Dick. Check this book out - it will leave you breathless!
Blake
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever read books that you like and they are interesting but you just can't seem to get through them? Although this book is fast-paced, I feel like it took forever to read. It was a good mystery. I was able to catch a few things, but some of it was a mystery until it was revealed. After reading The Thin ExecutionerI'm a little harder to please.
Hanna
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn!

These books!

After the first one, I was chocked. Happily so. Now I'm smiling like a fool again and my heart is racing and damn!

The writing, the structure, how it seemed like a simple murder mystery with a twist and then... I can't even put my finger or words on it. There is just something so spectacularly peculiar about how the books in this series turn out.

I recommend this book wholeheartedly. Read it!
reea
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A város trilógia második kötetének sokat kellett várakoznia, végül mégis egymásra találtunk. Nem mondom, hogy simán indult a kapcsolatunk, néhány oldal után ugyanis némi csalódottságot éreztem. De ahogyan később kiderült, ez nem a könyv hibája volt. Csakis az elvárások és a nem megfelelő utánajárás találkozását okolhatom érte.

Mrs. Nelson's
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
--Review by Lauren
Matt Hott
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book of the trilogy. It reads like a Crime Noir set inside a fantasy sci-fi book. Action packed and hard to put down. If you enjoy turns at every corner, then you will enjoy this book about a killer who can not die, a leader who controls everything, and the guard who tries to figure out what is really going on. Just dont let the green fog erase your memories....
Nola
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I need to read the third book in the series, before I can do a proper review. But a lot of the story line is a side story to the first book. I sometimes felt like I was reading the same book twice, but from a different point of view, which may have been what the author was going for. So we'll see.
  • Lady of the Shades
Alternate pen name for Darren Shan.
More about D.B. Shan

The City Trilogy (3 books)
  • Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99