Start by marking “Death Kit” as Want to Read:
Death Kit

Death Kit

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  412 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
'Death Kit' follows a troubled man through a self-incriminating investigation. It travels from upstate New York to New York City, and to the recesses of the American conscience, where the will to destroy may to the strongest impulse of all.
Paperback, (Penguin Modern Classics), 320 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Death Kit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Kit

rachel  misfiticus
Rachel the curious picks up Death Kit.

Rachel the eager begins to read Death Kit.

Rachel the approving reads a few pages and enjoys the verbiage.

Rachel the intrigued expects to be charmed with mysterious scenarios.

Rachel the expectant.

Rachel the impatient reads another book to satiate feeling of accomplishment.

Rachel the rebounding resolves to finish this damn book by the end of the week.

Rachel the inattentive continues this perfunctory reading.

Rachel the redundant is bored.

Rachel the relieved ha
Kinga
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-women-2014
Susan Sontag was more of a figure than a person. Intimidatingly intelligent and self-assured, she was an embodiment of an intellectual. Suffice to say there is only one woman Hitchens talks in any length about in his memoir (other than his mother) and it’s Susan Sontag. Even Hitchens, the notorious woman-ignorer (if not necessarily a woman-hater) couldn’t ignore Sontag.

It felt good to be reading Susan Sontag. Also I sure looked good reading Sontag, walking around with black and white Penguin Mod
Jason Pettus
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(As of summer 2012, a first-edition copy of this book is being sold through the rare-book service at the arts organization I own, the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com/rarebooks]. Here below is the description I wrote for its listing.)

Known affectionately by her fans as "The Dark Lady of American Letters," like many writers the late Susan Sontag is almost equally known for her personality, celebrity and controversial views as for her varied body of work itself. A ser
Sheila
Susan Sontag’s Death Kit opens as the story of a man who, in the course of a train journey, becomes convinced he has recently killed someone. The fact that he tried to kill himself only a short time ago gives the reader a clue; perhaps Diddy’s version of events is not entirely reliable. And as the story progresses, the varied characters flitting in and out of his life begin to a take on an image more symbolic than personal. The dead railwayman, the blind lover, the jovial fellow employee…

As Didd
El
El the Victorious finished this book (now).

It's becoming very evident to me that Susan Sontag is one of those authors that is meant to be experienced, not discussed. But that's really pretentious, so let's see what happens as I try to review this completely cerebral book.

Very similar to Sontag's first book, The Benefactor: A Novel, in that the protagonist (Dalton "Diddy" Harron in this book) has trouble discerning between dream and reality. During a train trip he vividly recalls killing a railro
Phil
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would have to say that one of the most interesting aspects of Sontag’s novel is her persistent use of the third person personal. Very rarely does she employ a third person pronoun and so we achieve a level with her main character (Diddy) that is close to being analogous to the relationship he holds to himself. That is, one of detachment. The present is always second guessed in her repetition of the “(now)” which, though seemingly tired after the first quarter, continues its significance throug ...more
Zöe Yu
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All her novels are dreams, illusion, and despair! It's a dying dream of an overdosed man named Dalton. Those cliche Freudian family issues are actually Susan Sontag's own reflection from her rootless Childhood. I don't agree with those critics that Death Kit is not a successful novel. It's an experimental novel, some parts it went too freer, and readers just way too impatient to digest it and feel it. Sontag suggests "we need to see more, to hear more, to feel more" in Against Interpretation ess ...more
Dusty
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death Kit by Sontag.

Not to be read by people like me - clinically depressed and have a difficult time fitting in or getting some love in life.

Uh, I think I may have enjoyed this if I had been on some sort of mood stabilizing meds or a somewhat "normal" person - who could look into Diddy's world as if it were "strange", "new", or "titillating" even.

It's pretty somber read.

Diddy (the main character) is always banging this scrawny, pale, blind chick. He is - if I remember - a handsome, well-dressed
Kate
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an enjoyable novel, perhaps, but a thought-provoking one. Sontag is known for her criticism and philosophy, and it would probably be fair to say that she has a certain cult appeal among adolescent literature students that’s based more on a love of precocious grey-bestreaked intellectuals with exciting love lives as it is an interest in her actual criticism. I guess that probably includes me. Until picking this up in a charity shop over New Year I didn’t even realise she had written novels, a ...more
Ugh
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started out thinking I was really going to like this, finding the writing excitingly unusual:

"Diddy, not really alive, had a life. Hadly the same. Some people are their lives. Others, like Diddy, merely inhabit their lives. ... Eventually, for such a person, everything is bound to run down. The walls sag. Empty spaces bulge between objects. The surfaces of objects sweat, thin out, buckle. The hysterical fluids of fear deposited at the core of objects ooze out along the seams."

But as it progres
Eve Kay
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The darkness.
It's beautiful in its stillness, in it's silence.
This book holds that darkness, it spoke to me, not the writer, the darkness.
I did let it, though. So, I would guess, it needs a receiver.
Someone who is in desperate need of stories just like this.
Please, let there be more stories like this.
More darkness.
LINDA
Jan 09, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I just started this book, and I have been reading it for the last few nights before felling asleep. Each morning I wake up wondering if what I read was just a strange dream, or if I had indeed read it. The author creates a very intangible, but vivid depiction of the events as they unfold in the mind of the main character.
Zaftig
Feb 28, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book has no division and that is fucking hard to take some times.
vi macdonald
Susan Sontag: first rate essayist...third rate novelist...
S.D. Johnson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While it was my impression that Sontag's first novel The Benefactor was most influenced in tone by the works of Hermann Hesse, Death Kit in its premise and themes seems to me more in conversation with Albert Camus, especially his works L'Étranger and Le mythe de Sisyphe.

Death Kit is a veritable chimera of schools of prose. The scientific imagery of the protagonist's profession as a marketer of microscopes as well as the provocative use of the images of trains and their tunnels owe a debt to mod
Ali
Feb 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
اگرچه سوزان سونتاگ در ایران بیشتر به یک منتقد ادبی و اجتماعی نویس معروف است، و در این زمینه ها کارهای بزرگی تالیف کرده، اما رمان های سونتاگ کارهای زیبایی ست که ندیده یا نشنیده ام به فارسی ترجمه شده باشد. روشن نیست چرا بجز چند مقاله، آثار او به فارسی برگردانده نشده. سوزان سونتاگ از روشنفکران آمریکایی دهه ی 1960 است، با همان دید رادیکال نسبت به جوامع غربی. بعدها به شکلی از آمریکا زده شد و به تبعیدی خودخواسته به اروپا، سوئد و بعدن فرانسه رفت. سال های اقامت سونتاگ در اروپا یادآور زندگی بسیاری از نوی ...more
Leigh Hewitt
I honestly have no idea what I thought of this. It focuses on hapless 33-year-old Diddy, who seems to be sleepwalking through his life until the point the novel begins. Susan Sontag attempts to place the reader into the action almost, with her insistence of using (now) repeatedly - something that I believe was actually a distraction, rather than a pull into the narrative. My confusion stems from whether the novel is based in reality or the surreal? From the point that Diddy takes Incardona's lif ...more
Delia
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
started out amazing, then went downhill very fast unfortunately. i read the german version, so i'm not sure if this was simply a huge translation error or an actual stylistic choice, but the seemingly random mixture of present and past tense drove me insane. also, conversations dragged out over pages and pages, yet the actual conflict still had to be pointed out. especially the "philosophical" problems the two main characters were having in their relationship didn't make any sense to me.
i love s
Lysergius
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
"Death Kit" follows a Dalton "Diddy" Harron, a troubled 33 year old advertising executive, through a self-incriminating investigation. Set variously in upstate New York, New York City, and the deepest recesses of the American conscience, where we discover that the will to destroy may be the strongest impulse of all.

A disturbing and disjointed book, seeming at odds with Sontrag's later novels.
Anna
Diddy the Good, Diddy the troubled takes a business trip. On the train, the Privateer, he may or may not have had sex (the best sex I've ever read) with a blind girl, and he may or may not have killed a Railroad worker. He tries to figure out the truth. Sontag's fiction amazes me - and I hear that her literary criticism/ essays are what she is known for.
Jenelle
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
dismal and tedious, i.e., succeeds? thanks a million, Sontag. harrowing: what if even your pre-death reverie is boring, despicable, random, loveless, perverse. what if there's two worlds, what if there's only the one.
Arjen
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as brilliant as Susan Sontag's later novels, Death Kit is more experimental writing, more concerned with mood lighting then a message. This was a dark, confusing mixing of dream and reality and with far fewer striking observations and aphorisms as in her later writing.
Chris
Started reading it with curiosity, was really intrigued,
then kinda uninterested. In the past I would have powered through, but I knew it wasn't in the cards. It's a bit dated (though racy for its time), and although I know I could learn something from reading it, I just couldn't keep going.
Lesley
Dec 28, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: group-2015
1 September 2015
tmll
Feb 11, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
holy macaroni! i must, must read this book!!
Deb Ramage
Very unsatisfying ending. But then I don't think the author was trying to satisfy anyone...
Nkatha
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surreal and I must say, quite frightening.
Jessica
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Adam
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep! Dark! I see a light at the end of the tunnel...
Jen Hill
fruatratingly obscure, like david lynch's mulholland drive. now that i know what it's about it makes sense. sort of.
  • A Baroque Fable
  • Humpty Dumpty in Oakland
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • The World of Mr. Mulliner
  • Documentary: A History of the Non-Fiction Film
  • Big Blonde and Other Stories
  • The Sexual Outlaw: A Documentary
  • Growing Up Absurd
  • The Rosicrucian Enlightenment (Routledge Classics)
  • Adventures in the Orgasmatron: How the Sexual Revolution Came to America
  • The Ecstasy of Communication (Foreign Agents)
  • Conversations with Susan Sontag
  • The Twilight Zone Companion
Jewish American literary critic, theorist, novelist, and filmmaker.
More about Susan Sontag...