Start by marking “Man from Nebraska” as Want to Read:
Man from Nebraska

Man from Nebraska

A luxury sedan, a church pew and visits to a nursing home form the comfortable round of Ken Carpenter s daily life. And then one night, he awakens to find that he no longer believes in God. This crisis of faith propels an ordinary middle-aged man into an extraordinary journey of self-discovery. This wickedly funny and spiritually complex play examines the effects of one ma ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by Northwestern University Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Man from Nebraska, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man from Nebraska

Mohadese
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
۲.۵
زیادی معمولی بود!
Cara
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to see this on stage!!! My kinda theatre--real people, simple situations, and honoring silence. Felt that it ended kinda fast, playwright could have developed that more, thus 4 stars.
RB
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tracy Letts's "Man from Nebraska" sits nicely with "August Osage County" and "Bug" as a sort of trilogy of lost, middle-aged, middle-American characters struggling with existence. This play finds our protagonist not believing in god and in a marriage to a religious woman and a father to religious kids, so when the young pastor tells him to take off on a vacation, the family unit crumbles as he searches for something to replace his now-vacant slot where once there was faith. Ken, our lead, ends u ...more
Daniel
Nov 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays, theatre
I started out NOT enjoying this play very much, but as I got through it, it grew on me a bit.

Tracy Letts has a bit of a theme running here with this play and his much more successful AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, and that would be a theme of late-middle-aged men trying to understand their lives. In many ways, one could almost see this as a pre-cursor to AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY.

Both plays (and I will try, of course, to speak more to this play directly) deal with an older man who has some interest or experie
Sara
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, plays
I would have liked this play better if I'd read if before "August: Osage County." The idea of religious faith and how it is passed down from parent to child, as well as the fallout when one's faith fails are themes that I enjoy exploring in fiction, and this particular work addresses these in the life of a middle-aged man from Nebraska.

"Do you ever look around? At the people around you, their habits and their things they do. The way they live, that we live. Do you ever think about the food we ea
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
A strange play about a man's spiritual and emotional journey from Nebraska to England. Gentle but hard to pin down, this play intrigues because of its images: a man crying in a bathroom because he doesn't believe in God anymore, someone punching a sculpture into being, etc.

I'm not sure where I landed at the end of the play, but the path there was intriguing enough to earn my admiration.
R Scott
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Small cast play - centers on an older couple dealing with a crisis in faith - mainly Ken's. Great moments of doubt & conviction as Ken travels around the world to find answers. Love the short scenes in Act One (written as 'movements' which depicts the crawling monotony of a repetitious life). Fairly open-ended. It is a Tracy Letts play after all.
Robert
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Good play, not a great one. Lousy title. Written in a way that makes you think Letts was trying to attract an aging Hollywood type to make the role his in a movie a la Bill Murray in Lost in Translation or Broken Flowers.
Christine
  • Shining City
  • Bash
  • Homebody/Kabul
  • Molly Sweeney
  • Father Comes Home from the Wars (Parts 1, 2 & 3)
  • Hangmen
  • Democracy
  • The Play About the Baby
  • Yellow Face
  • Take Me Out
  • Quills
  • Good People
  • Speech and Debate
Tracy Letts is an American playwright and actor who received the 2008 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for his play August: Osage County.

Letts was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma to best-selling author Billie Letts, of Where The Heart Is and The Honk And Holler Opening Soon fame, and the late college professor and actor Dennis Letts. His brother Shawn is a jazz musician and composer. He also has a brother Dana. L