Start by marking “Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again” as Want to Read:
Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again

Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  364 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The original hardcover upon which the major motion picture is based on!

When Winter was a baby, she was rescued from a crab trap, her tail seriously damaged, and rushed to Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Winter survived, but eventually her tail fell off. Then Winter received a prosthetic tail. It was very challenging but now Winter is thriving and using her new tail with great
Published October 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Winter's Tail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter's Tail

Kathryn
This is an amazing true story. Winter and the people who helped her survive get five stars all the way!!!

I appreciate this book, suitable for young readers, about Winter's story. But, it has nowhere near the emotional impact of the film and I highly recommend the film to those interested in Winter's story. Though many characters and plot twists are fabricated in the film, the basic progress of Winter's story is true to life and the fact that Winter appears in the film herself and that we can se
Ann
After seeing the new film I was quite excited to find out that Winter also has a book out about her! This book, published in 2009 (four years after Winter's rescue) is about the initial trials and triumphs of young Winter, a dolphin rescued off the coast of Florida, who's injuries sustained from a crab trap caused her to lose her tail.

I love this true-story, and thought it was very well told (especially for this type of children's non-fiction picture book genre). The photos are quite sweet and t
Diane
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
A sucker for all of God's helpless creatures, when I heard about Winter's Tail, I decided to pick this book up from the library. It was such a touching story. For those of you who have not heard about this amazingly resilient dolphin, here is what actually happened.

On December 10, 2005 a baby dolphin, about 2-3 months old was spotted in Mosquito Lagoon, Florida with lobster trap ropes wrapped around it's tail and mouth. The fisherman who helped rescue the dolphin, later named "Winter" was Jim S
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great true story! Plus I met this dolphin several times so extra special to me!
CCFuller
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Long before the movies were made, or the tail for Winter had been successfully formed for her sensitive dolphin skin, my mother recorded a small segment on the news to show my then two year old daughter. That three minute segment became a fascination shared between grandmother and granddaughter. When this book was written, my mother special ordered one of the first copies and they read it together over and over again until the pages nearly fell out. It is a simple chronology of events but it ins ...more
Eva Leger
I don't know that this actually "counts" as 'photography' but I'm listing it there for us for our own reasons. That I can't articulate. :)
Sooo... we saw the movie last week! Rented it from RedBox and went straight home to watch it. I personally could have done with more Winter, less everyone else but it's a good movie. I wish I knew exactly how much was exactly true but I suppose it's not as important as I tend to think sometimes. I like to know which details are true and which are the idea of s
Julia Jasztal
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Mommy's review from 2/29/12)

Dolly
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale about the lucky dolphin who was not only rescued from a crab trap, but also fitted with a prosthetic tail when she lost hers from the injuries. The photographs are terrific and the narrative is informative without being overly detailed. There is a section in the back with much greater detail and it provides more background information, but isn't necessary to the tale.

I love that this book, along with Owen & Mzee: The True Story Of A Remarkable Friendship, Looking Fo
Ivy Leach
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Picture book, nonfiction

Genre: Biography

Awards: none

Summary: Winter is a dolphin who was caught in a crab trap, rescued, and taken to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium in Florida when she was a baby. There, she was nursed back to health, however, she lost her tail because the trap had cut off her blood flow. After healing, Winter had to adjust to a new prosthetic tail. Now she inspires people with and without disabilities and many come from all over to visit her.

Critique: Winter's story is truly in
Lisse
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
After seeing the movie, "Dolphin Tale," I decided to check out the book that detailed Winter the dolphin's rescue and rehabilitation. As a children's book this is pretty good. It has nice pictures of Winter and her trainers and gives a good description of her rehabilitation. Perhaps I should be giving it more stars. I guess I was hoping for more. Granted, I am an adult and this is aimed at children. As someone who has had immense curiosity and interest in marine biology for years, I hope that at ...more
Marissa Reyes
The book Winters Tail: How one Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again by Juliana Hatkoff, Isabella Hatkoff and Craig Hatkoff is a true story that children would take to liking because many youngsters have empathy for hurting animals and want to do something to help. This story is not only inspiring due to the fact that a dolphin fought all odds and survived with a prosthetic tail, but this story can be relatable to young children as well because they are just beginning to experience the sting of l ...more
Shirley
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is about a dolphin who gets stuck in a trap one day, with rope binding her head and tail. A fisherman finds her tied up and loosens her, but she is weakened from her struggles. He calls the nearest marine wildlife group, and they take her in to restore her health. She's only a few months old, which is a critical time for a baby dolphin to drink milk from it's mother, and to form a close bond with it's mother. But the aquarium nurses the baby dolphin back to health, and they help her le ...more
Ali
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My mom found this book at a book fair at the school she works in. She had showed it to me, explaining how people had made a brace for a dolphin. I wasn't very interested. I paid no attention to it, and picked out a different book, the #4 in the Humphrey (hamster) series.

On Christmas, 2009, my mother gave it to me as a present. I immediately whined i didn't like the book. she asked why. I lied saying it scared me. She looked down, sadly.

One night after that, I was feeling sad and I wanted to chee
Alice
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars I have seen commercial for a movie to be shown about t Winter's Tale about a dolphin that had lost its tale. I watched the last 30 minutes of the story and in Hollywood fashion I assumed it was just a story. But to read the real account, made me appreciate the movie. It gave me more details than my last 30 minutes of the movie provided. Of course, some things in movies have to be fictionalized but over all this is a great book. It can be about overcoming obstacles. , or overcoming ha ...more
Lisa the Librarian
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful inspirational story!

I loved that so many people came together to help this baby dolphin. I also loved the fighting spirit of little Winter and how hard she fought for her life and learned to adapt to her disability.

The story is well told. It is simple enough for children to understand while also being complex enough for adults to also enjoy and learn.

I especially liked (from an educational standpoint) the information at the end of the book about the aquarium, dolphin traini
Mikaela
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dolphins, childrens
Cute book! I took my younger classmate went to the used bookstore a few weeks ago. She bought this one because I bring in a big stuffed dolphin to school everyday. She's only six, so she can't read the entire book just yet. It took me about an hour to read it to her. My ten year old classmate enjoyed it too.

I would give it 5/5 if it wasn't for the long paragraphs. And, in spite of the long paragraphs, it's still very understandable for a little kid.
Eva
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was kind of in a vulnerable state when I read this book (really sleep deprived), but I found it really sweet and moving. A dolphin loses his tails, and a bunch of people work to help him survive without it. Great for talking about disability and individual differences, and made my 6 year old son think about these issues in a realistic way. We don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I recommend this one.
Megan
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of children's nonfiction, but I won this on a blog giveaway so I gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by the inspiring story of Winter, a dolphin who lost her tail. The process of fitting a dolphin with a prosthesis was very interesting. It is even more likely that we'll read this often when Piper gets a little older since the book came with a plush dolphin toy (also missing a tail). Very cute!
Joy
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jnonfiction
The story of Winter and the prosthetic tail that has been made for her is pretty amazing. I actually thought this book spoke most to the ingenuity of human thinking. If only we could apply this will to everything in life! I also found it interesting to discover how many disabled children and adults have found comfort and inspiration in this dolphin.
Emily Pinnick
This book is based off of the story of Winter, a dolphin who lost his tail in an accident. Through the love, support, and determination of many great people, Winter now has a prosthetic tail that allows him to swim like normal. This is a great story and kids would love reading the book and then watching the movie.
Brandy Shark
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-books
Cute and informative, a moving story about a baby dolphin named Winter who lost her tail. Her recovery was amazing, and it's outstanding how many people care about her and worked hard to make her a functioning prosthetic.

While this is a short read, it's enjoyable and educational for kids and adults alike, especially those who have an interested in dolphins and marine life.
Bethe
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Winter's story is the inspiration for the movie Dolphin Tale, and just like the movie, it brought tears to my eyes multiple times. Excellent non-fiction for children. Can I be a dolphin trainer when I grow up? How soon can I work it into a library lesson?
Julie
Another great story by the authors of Owen & Mzee. Now it's a popular book in our library due to the movie. After its caught in a net and it's tail is badly injured, a baby dolphin is fitted with a prosthetic tail. Actual photos document the story.
Ramarie
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Photo essay of a dolphin rescued from a crab trap that damaged her tail. The tail fell off, but a prosthesis was made for her! Gorgeous photographs, from the same team who wrote the story of Owen and Mzee, the unlikely friendship between a baby hippo and a tortoise.
Melanie Swider Wenz
Loved this book and the movie! We read the book in class and then I showed the movie in parts - kids loved it and were so inspired. One of my students also chose this as her nonfiction research topic and became very engaged in learning more about it!
Jenny
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-j-fiction
Describes the rescue and rehabilitation of a bottle-nosed dolphin, named Winter, who received and artificial tail after being badly injured after being caught in a crab trap in the Atlantic.

I loved this story,a great story of hope and perserverence.
Kayla
This in a nonfiction text about Winter the dolphin. Winter is a dolphin who lost his tail in an accident. I think kids would love this book because most know the story so well from the movie Dolphin Tale.
Alexandria
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fact-book
Katrina
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids Facing Challengers Themselves, Ocean Themed Storytime
This amazing story of a dolphin who lost her tail and has learned to live with prosthetic tail! This inspirational story is full of gorgeous pictures and a delight to read. The book also has good information about dolphins in general at the end of the book.
Nicole Adams
Winters tail tells the story of the rescued dolphin. Students enjoy hearing the wonderful story.
We read this in my field placement and watched the interactive video on the website. We also enjoyed doing circle maps and make our own dolphins for the letter D.
  • Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • The Buffalo Are Back
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
  • ZooBorns!: Zoo Babies from Around the World
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
  • Under the Snow