Start by marking “The Vicar of Nibbleswicke” as Want to Read:
The Vicar of Nibbleswicke

The Vicar of Nibbleswicke

The Reverend Lee is suffering from a rare and acutely embarrassing situation: Back-to-Front Dyslexia. It affects only his speech, and he doesn't realize he's doing it, but the parishioners of Nibbleswicke are shocked and confused by his seemingly outrageous comments.
Published May 1st 1994 by Puffin Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Vicar of Nibbleswicke, please sign up.
Joanna I would not describe this book as dull at all. It's funny and heartwarming.

Miranda Reads
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Whimsical and creative!

The people of Nibbleswicke have a new Reverend. And the Reverend has a very peculiar problem - Back-to-Front Dyslexia.

When he gets nervous, he says the most important words backwards. Pastor Lee becomes Pastor Eel preaching about doG. (I can just picture the old ladies in the front pew raising their eyebrows and tsking under their breaths).

This condition, while horribly embarrassing for the Reverend, leads to several hilarious mistakes throughout his first few weeks at th
Annet
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, fun
A story that makes you chuckle all the way through :-) And those illustrations by Quentin Blake are so funny! Story is about a vicar, Reverend Lee who suffers from severe dyslexia, which causes some weird situations in his new parish! This story was written by Roald Dahl in the last months of his life. He donated the story for the benefit of the Dyslexia Institute. It's an utterly charming short story, the drawings are just too cute. Great little intermezzo in my reading challenge...Fun!
El
This is a very dramatic story of a man who overcame a terrible bout of dyslexia as a child only for the disorder to return when he arrives in Nibbleswicke to become the town vicar. Someone slap an Oprah sticker on this book. Character overcoming great odds and obstacles? Heartwarming, touching, grab a hanky!

I'm kidding; the book is 22 pages (24 if you count Quentin Blake's Afterword), so there is no time for drama. But it is an adorable book, and there is some tension and awkwardness as Reverend
Quirkyreader
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very silly story. Dahl's last story is a classic.
Calista
This book made me chuckle. The vicar speaks some words backwards and doesn't know it. Cute.
Samuel
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
A quick and funny read. However, being an American, I have no idea what a vicar does and my little knowledge comes from the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances. I did like Dahl's quote, "What you must do is pis. Pis gently. All of you, all the way along must pis, pis, pis."
cindy
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
just as funny and crazy as esio trot... it's even more outrageous 'coz robert lee is a vicar ;)
Hannah
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny. Had me laughing hysterically!
Tym
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud several times. This was a cute and funny short story with some heart and made for a good cause. Much less dark than anything I’ve read by Dahl before.

*2nd Read. Read it aloud to my boyfriend, we both laughed at a couple spots. Cute and quick.
Katie Bruce
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
This book ended up on a 4th grade summer reading list for a local school this year, and was just pulled from that list this week by the elementary school principal due to a complaint...so of course I HAD to read it! (My intrigue was heightened by the fact that the grandmother who complained to the principal came right over to the library herself and personally crossed off the title from all of our printed summer reading lists WITH HER OWN SHARPIE. She also asked me to contact other kids who had ...more
Becky B
While the Reverend Lee has beat the dyslexia he had as a child, thanks to the help of the Dyslexia Institute of London, when he takes his first post as Vicar of Nibbleswicke, the stress does something to his brain. He starts to have what the doctor eventually dubs back-to-front dyslexia, meaning Rev. Lee speaks words backwards occasionally without realizing it. Normally this isn't much of a problem and makes him an entertaining speaker for Nibbleswicke, but certain words are a little more scanda ...more
Jayne
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and it had me laughing out loud! The story follows the newly arrived vicar of Nibbleswicke and reveals that he has an unusual case of dyslexia; he pronounces certain words backwards. In a particularly comical section of the book, the vicar announces to his congregation that he would like them to refrain from parking around the church, however the word 'park' becomes 'krap'. Although I found it extremely funny (maybe due to my 10 year old sense of humour!) I'm not too s ...more
Angharad
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Vicar of Nibbleswicke is the story of the Reverend Lee, who has a very unique form of dyslexia which means that he pronounces words backwards. He doesn't realise that this is happening, but thankfully, after a few embarrassing moments with his parishioners, he finds someone who can help him.

A delightful short story in the true spirit of Roald Dahl.
Craig0599
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I laughed so hard while reading this one. This is easily Roald Dahl's funniest book. I never thought someone could make a vicar with dyslexia funny, but Dahl managed to do it while also telling a good story! This was short, but it's worth reading! If you want a good laugh, read The Vicar of Nibbleswicke! You won't be disappointed.
Kelly Chen
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute story, and as usual with Roald Dahl books, it had me laughing out loud.

(My only tiny gripe is the fact that the typesetting inside is horrendous. The book may be for charity, but that is no reason to ignore the proper way to lay out a book.)
Cherri
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, short read which will give you a chuckle. Poor Pastor Lee - so many confusing problems - and all because he says random words backwards! This was written for the benefit of the Dyslexia Institute.
Matt
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Dahl’s best work but it was humorous and written for a good cause. I enjoyed it for what it was.
Abi Robins (autumnofpellinor)
A cute little children's book, Roald Dahl is always entertaining to read more matter what audience he is aiming at.
Isabelle
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Very silly and funny short story I enjoyed reading.
Bettie
Melissa N
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
So my nephew (boyfriends nephew actually but not the point) showed me this book and thought OH MY GOODNESS how have I not heard of this Roald Dahl book? Very heartwarming and I plan on tracking down a copy for myself.
Sean Daniels
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This made me tear up with laughter as a child, and now as an adult I still laugh out loud.
Sincere and silly, a short pleasing joy.
Bree
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was laughing out loud. Surprisingly funny and sweet.
Nadine Larter
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love love love!!!

Only Roald Dahl can get away with saying "pis" and "krap" in a children's book and do it with such class! I never actually knew this little book existed until I borrowed it from a friend (and then put it away in my computer bag where it stayed for three years until I discovered it last week).

According to the introduction by Quentin Blake this book was written specifically for the London Dyslexia Institute. Another case of "Flip Roald Dahl is so damn awesome!"
Anne
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-or-children
This short Roald Dahl story was published post-humously. The book was written for the Dyslexia Institute. Both Dahl and the illustrator, Quentin Blake, offered: "the donation of all rights, world-wide, for the period of the copyright." About Dahl and this book, Blake wrote it was "a landmark of both his concern for people and his passionate belief in the importance of reading."
Simon Sweetman
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know about this book until just recently - some fun wordplay/s here and a nice message, backed up by the decision to donate the book's publishing to the cause (dyslexia). I guess it came out just after my first wave of reading Roald Dahl's books for children and I never picked it up on the second pass. (Am grateful then for libraries).
Rachel
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am dying to read this aloud, but I would walk a fine line that might get me in trouble. It would be such a joy, though! Hopefully, parents the world over delight in reading this silly, sometimes vulgar book to their children.
Heather Robertrs
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable book that pertains to dyslexia; takes only 5-10 minutes of your time.
Joanna
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful and funny story about a vicar who overcomes his dyslexia only to get nervous the night before getting his own parsonage and suffering back-to-front dyslexia (that is very common among tortoises). While the patrons of his parish are oftentimes put out by his unusual condition, they are generally good-hearted people who love him for his quirky eccentricities, especially when he cure for his word trouble is to walk backwards, which he does with the aid of a mirror attached to his ...more
Jen
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Very short and clever nod to dyslexia that had my teens rolling with laughter as their sister read it aloud. However, some might find it irreverent (the words God and dog get confused, for example) or offensive (there is potty humor). Probably not one I'd be comfortable recommending as tastes vary widely about that sort of thing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Bear's Song
  • I Believe in Unicorns
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • The Monster Garden
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • The Water Hole
  • Kisses for Daddy
  • The King's Shadow
  • The Lemonade Trick
  • My Dad Thinks He's Funny
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • The Town Cats and Other Tales
  • Sable
  • The Gizmo Again (Gizmo, #2)
  • Weasels
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • Fiabe italiane raccolte dalla tradizione popolare durante gli ultimi cento anni e trascritte in lingua dai vari dialetti da Italo Calvino (2 Voll.)