Start by marking “The Vicar of Nibbleswicke” as Want to Read:
The Vicar of Nibbleswicke

The Vicar of Nibbleswicke

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  3,660 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
The Reverend Lee is suffering from a rare and acutely embarrassing situation: Back-to-Front Dyslexia. It affects only his speech, and he doesn't realize he's doing it, but the parishioners of Nibbleswicke are shocked and confused by his seemingly outrageous comments.
Published May 1st 1994 by Puffin Books (first published 1991)

Miranda Reads
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Whimsical and creative!

The people of Nibbleswicke have a new Reverend. And the Reverend has a very peculiar problem - Back-to-Front Dyslexia.

When he gets nervous, he says the most important words backwards. Pastor Lee becomes Pastor Eel preaching about doG. (I can just picture the old ladies in the front pew raising their eyebrows and tsking under their breaths).

This condition, while horribly embarrassing for the Reverend, leads to several hilarious mistakes throughout his first few weeks at th
El
This is a very dramatic story of a man who overcame a terrible bout of dyslexia as a child only for the disorder to return when he arrives in Nibbleswicke to become the town vicar. Someone slap an Oprah sticker on this book. Character overcoming great odds and obstacles? Heartwarming, touching, grab a hanky!

I'm kidding; the book is 22 pages (24 if you count Quentin Blake's Afterword), so there is no time for drama. But it is an adorable book, and there is some tension and awkwardness as Reverend
Quirkyreader
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very silly story. Dahl's last story is a classic.
it'chy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: soft
pretty hilarious
Samuel
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
A quick and funny read. However, being an American, I have no idea what a vicar does and my little knowledge comes from the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances. I did like Dahl's quote, "What you must do is pis. Pis gently. All of you, all the way along must pis, pis, pis."
Eric
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was so funny!
Hannah
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny. Had me laughing hysterically!
Calista
This book made me chuckle. The vicar speaks some words backwards and doesn't know it. Cute.
cindy
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
just as funny and crazy as esio trot... it's even more outrageous 'coz robert lee is a vicar ;)
Katie Bruce
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
This book ended up on a 4th grade summer reading list for a local school this year, and was just pulled from that list this week by the elementary school principal due to a complaint...so of course I HAD to read it! (My intrigue was heightened by the fact that the grandmother who complained to the principal came right over to the library herself and personally crossed off the title from all of our printed summer reading lists WITH HER OWN SHARPIE. She also asked me to contact other kids who had ...more
Becky B
While the Reverend Lee has beat the dyslexia he had as a child, thanks to the help of the Dyslexia Institute of London, when he takes his first post as Vicar of Nibbleswicke, the stress does something to his brain. He starts to have what the doctor eventually dubs back-to-front dyslexia, meaning Rev. Lee speaks words backwards occasionally without realizing it. Normally this isn't much of a problem and makes him an entertaining speaker for Nibbleswicke, but certain words are a little more scanda ...more
Jayne
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and it had me laughing out loud! The story follows the newly arrived vicar of Nibbleswicke and reveals that he has an unusual case of dyslexia; he pronounces certain words backwards. In a particularly comical section of the book, the vicar announces to his congregation that he would like them to refrain from parking around the church, however the word 'park' becomes 'krap'. Although I found it extremely funny (maybe due to my 10 year old sense of humour!) I'm not too s ...more
Indah Threez Lestari
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
937th - 2011

Repotnya punya penyakit Back-to-Front Dyslexia.

God jadi Dog.
Knits jadi Stink.
Gulp jadi Plug.
Sip jadi Pis.

What you must do is pis. Pis gently. All of you, all the way along the rail must pis, pis, pis. Do you understand what I mean?

Oh my Dog!
Penyakit ini baru bisa disembuhkan dengan cara jalan mundur. Pake spion lebih baik lagi, biar ga nabrak.

*nemu buku ini di kios buku bekas belakang kantor, cuman dibandrol 5000 rupiah*
Craig0599
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I laughed so hard while reading this one. This is easily Roald Dahl's funniest book. I never thought someone could make a vicar with dyslexia funny, but Dahl managed to do it while also telling a good story! This was short, but it's worth reading! If you want a good laugh, read The Vicar of Nibbleswicke! You won't be disappointed.
Angharad
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Vicar of Nibbleswicke is the story of the Reverend Lee, who has a very unique form of dyslexia which means that he pronounces words backwards. He doesn't realise that this is happening, but thankfully, after a few embarrassing moments with his parishioners, he finds someone who can help him.

A delightful short story in the true spirit of Roald Dahl.
Cherri
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, short read which will give you a chuckle. Poor Pastor Lee - so many confusing problems - and all because he says random words backwards! This was written for the benefit of the Dyslexia Institute.
Kelly Chen
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute story, and as usual with Roald Dahl books, it had me laughing out loud.

(My only tiny gripe is the fact that the typesetting inside is horrendous. The book may be for charity, but that is no reason to ignore the proper way to lay out a book.)
Princolitas
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro pequeñito, muy tierno y que te hará reír mucho, tiene ese toque especial que Roald Dahl le da a todos sus libros. Se ha convertido en uno muy especial para mí por haberlo leído en la biblioteca Vasconcelos :3
Matt Garcia
Not Dahl’s best work but it was humorous and written for a good cause. I enjoyed it for what it was.
Isabelle
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Very silly and funny short story I enjoyed reading.
Abi
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A cute little children's book, Roald Dahl is always entertaining to read more matter what audience he is aiming at.
Khayrun
The Vicar of Nibbleswicke is a funny and entertaining story, like all Roald Dahl stories are. Reverend Lee is new to the village Nibbleswicke and he is very nervous. When the village people meet him, they hear strange noises coming from the Reverend and believe he is plain weird. However, no one knows that the reverend is dyslexic and that when he is nervous he jumbles up his words, so that he pronounces them back to front. Only after seeing the doctor does Reverend Lee find a cure for his Dysle ...more
Nadine Larter
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love love love!!!

Only Roald Dahl can get away with saying "pis" and "krap" in a children's book and do it with such class! I never actually knew this little book existed until I borrowed it from a friend (and then put it away in my computer bag where it stayed for three years until I discovered it last week).

According to the introduction by Quentin Blake this book was written specifically for the London Dyslexia Institute. Another case of "Flip Roald Dahl is so damn awesome!"
Anne
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-or-children
This short Roald Dahl story was published post-humously. The book was written for the Dyslexia Institute. Both Dahl and the illustrator, Quentin Blake, offered: "the donation of all rights, world-wide, for the period of the copyright." About Dahl and this book, Blake wrote it was "a landmark of both his concern for people and his passionate belief in the importance of reading."
Simon Sweetman
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know about this book until just recently - some fun wordplay/s here and a nice message, backed up by the decision to donate the book's publishing to the cause (dyslexia). I guess it came out just after my first wave of reading Roald Dahl's books for children and I never picked it up on the second pass. (Am grateful then for libraries).
Rachel
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am dying to read this aloud, but I would walk a fine line that might get me in trouble. It would be such a joy, though! Hopefully, parents the world over delight in reading this silly, sometimes vulgar book to their children.
Guida Allès
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8-11-anys
Divertit, ben escrit, breu, tendre. Útil per jugar amb les paraules, estil Rodari
Shireen Abedin
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
loved it. a fun read
Bettie☯
Heather Robertrs
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable book that pertains to dyslexia; takes only 5-10 minutes of your time.
  • D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl
  • The Bear's Song
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The Ghost Wore Gray (Nina Tanleven, #2)
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • Il richiamo della foresta, Zanna Bianca e altre storie di cani
  • Jacob Two-Two and the Dinosaur
  • Jennings Goes To School
  • Little Manfred
  • Storia di un gatto e del topo che diventò suo amico
  • My Dad Thinks He's Funny

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
    $9.24 $1.99
  • The Golden Notebook
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Ten Thousand Saints
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
  • The Secret Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99