Start by marking “500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  560 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Flavorful Recipes to Suit Your Every Taste and Craving!

Looking for more variety in your vegan cooking? Maybe a new type of muffin to make? Or perhaps a pasta or savory pie that’s “just a little different,” but full of flavor and taste?

500 Vegan Recipes gives you the array of dishes you’ve been searching for, while still including all your favorite comfort foods and traditi
Published November 1st 2009 by Fair Winds Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 500 Vegan Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 Vegan Recipes

Jo
Aug 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan-cooking
This is quite a monster of a book, clocking in at 512 pages but it does include a wonderful variety of recipes. With 20 chapters, they cover pretty much everything! A little disappointed that a book so large has not even one picture but once I got to the list of resources at the back of the book and realized the authors have a Flickr Group full of pictures of the goods, my rating did go from 3 to 4. Still a little inconvenient since you have to click on each picture to find out what it is but it ...more
Kate
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it

This was the first vegan cookbook I bought and I have enjoyed working my way through it. If I had one complaint about it that complaint would be that many of the recipes were either complicated or really time consuming. Also, this book does not include nutrition information.
Susan Empizo Vega
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to love this book. I loved her Complete Guide to Vegan Substitutions, and the variety of recipes appealed to me. Add to that the simplicity of ingredients and ease of recipes, I thought this would be a no-brained 5 star book.
But, after a handful of recipes, I am so disappointed! Everything I made was edible, but none of them had that "oh-my-goodness-this-is-so-awesome-I-can't-believe-I-made-this-and-this-is-a-keeper-of-a-recipe". I tried the sweet and sour tofu (the sauce was run
Gaijinmama
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
An excellent, user-friendly compilation of delicious animal-free recipes. I think this is my favorite Vegan cookbook so far.
Marlene
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent -- many of the recipes had regular ingredients and didn't have you running to Whole Foods for some obscure thing.
Jai
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: popsugar-2017
I decided to use this vegan cookbook for the Popsugar challenge for a book about food. I was walking around and just saw a vegan cookbook and I said okay this looks really good let me take a look. As I surveyed the recipes I thought this book isn't for me. There're too many recipes that seem complicated and not for me. I will admit that the book has a lot of recipes for everything from breakfast to sauces and drinks. By the time I really looked through it I saw that there were a ton of recipes t ...more
Julie
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food, lifestyle
This book is huge and I'm rating it based on my cursory skimming of the recipes. I noticed a lot of side type dishes and not actual meals. There did seem to be quite a few recipes for sauces and dressings that looked tasty. Baking recipes are also a plus and there appeared to be some bread and dessert ones included. I'll have to come back to this one when I have more time to actually experiment with the recipes. I'd give it 3 stars but it has NO pictures which is pretty detrimental for a book of ...more
Jose Ramos
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this book at a vegan festival. I noticed there booth and was very interested because at that time I was just starting to become vegan and didn't have any good recipes or anything like that. I saw the cover and flipped through. The lady at the booth started to laugh because she was like you picked up the only book here that doesn't have pictures in it. I ended up buying the book and it has been one of the most used books on my shelf.
Erica May
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great source for easy and quick vegan recipes. This book is in the style of vegan cooking which mimics non-vegan recipes, so it's great when you're starting out and crave old favorites. Also great for comfort food recipes and cakes/cupcakes.
Monika
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kitchen
Best tea cake recipes I've ever made, pre-gan years included. Awesome homemade seitan and mock crumbles (tvp-based and vwg-based, in case you are soy- or gluten-allergic).
Carrie Ridgeway
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I did not find many recipes to use in this book, mainly because I prefer recipes with few ingredients, and also gluten-free.

Sharon James
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite vegan cookbook so far! We have loved EVERY recipe in this book. They are full of flavour and most of the recipes have 3 or 4 variations.

Gina
Dec 26, 2009 marked it as cooking
Veggie Curry: Pretty good. I must find a garam masala that does not contain cinnamon. I hate cinnamon in savory dishes.

Veggie Chow Mein: Good, next time I will put in a lot more broccoli.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Okay, I have a ways to go before I can make the perfect black bean burger, but this book has been an inspiration for a variety of vegan food.
Laci
Ais
rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2017
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Vegan Express
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99