Start by marking “David Goes to School” as Want to Read:
David Goes to School

David Goes to School (David)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  16,229 Ratings  ·  566 Reviews
David Goes to School
Published January 1st 2001 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about David Goes to School, please sign up.

Mandy
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read with my daughter for a book report for school. Illustrations and pictures are cute, story line is good for kids and my daughter loves the David books! 5 stars for her :)
Philip
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gwennie, Liz and I were talking during dinner. Gwennie told us about the kite in her class. Some kids have moved up to the "level I" part of the kite. She's not quite there yet. She's only a "level H." Nobody's upset about this. Right Gwen?

Gwen: No one's upset about it. :)

Dad: Anyway, I asked if she had any books she could read to me. Any "level H" or "level I" books. She said no, but she did have THIS book that she wanted to read to me - and then write a review of it afterwards.

I told her we co
midnightfaerie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
How many David Shannon books have we read now? My children never tire of him and this was no exception. Even though I home school, the kids were still fascinated with the kinds of trouble that David could get into and again, totally relate. My 5 yr old loved it when David couldn't keep quiet, as he has the same problem, and my 2 yr old twins were wide-eyed at the colorful pictures of David in different school scenarios. Overall a fun read, as Shannon always is.
R. C.
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate the teeth on David. The scary, pointy, black things make me shudder.

Otherwise, this is a fun series for toddlers. I had one child who LOVED [title:No, David!]. I remembered David fondly.

When my youngest son started daydreaming about preschool as the ideal place for children, I checked out this title and a few others to help balance his perspective. [title:David Goes to School] was the most helpful. My son was freaked out about the idea of not having the right to pee, having to raise his
Columbus
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the last time I go to the library and grab a bunch of children's books right before closing just to have something to read to my little boy. "David goes to school" just continues the rash of bad kids books I've read to him in the last week. Not only that, the David in this book was extremely scary looking. I guess that was part of the point but he even scared me. Yikes! Anyway, another dreadful book and to make up for it I've been allowing him to eat all the popsicles, suckers, donuts, c ...more
Lauren
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book you learn about David going to school. Its his first day of school. But , he’s not having the best of the time while being there. David can’t seem to be doing anything right, and messing up a lot. Which didn’t get him far very much in the classroom with his teacher.

Reading this story you learned early on the theme of this book .David always seems to be getting himself in trouble during school. A lot of it being manner wise. For example he was sitting next to a girl who had raised he
Tabatha Mulkey
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-31-40
Summary: David goes to school for the first time. His teacher has her hands full with David. He runs, yells, pushes and chews gum in class. Each day is filled with trouble. He learns at the end that despite the difficulties he gets into, he will always have encouragement and love.

Evaluation: I like this book because I know how much little kids like it. They think it is hilarious what David does. Even the best behaved kids think this book is funny. We all can relate David to someone we know or h
Kelley
Not a huge fan of the David books. I don't connect on a personal level with the character, I feel very put out with him and find the plot of "this boy just won't listen" to be tired.
DeAndrea
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
David struggles with all of the things you are not supposed to do at school. He chews gum, talks out of turn, and simply can't stay in his seat. He learns that consequences follow his actions and must stay after school and clean desks as punishment. I think the Author David Shannon did a great job of writing and illustrating a almost wordless book for school-aged children to understand actions and consequences. I believe children will relate to this book.
Ronyell
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“David Goes to School” is a funny children’s book from the creative mind of David Shannon and is apart of David Shannon’s Caldecott Honor Award-winning book, “No, David!” series. This book details the mischievous adventures of everyone’s favorite little troublemaker in school. “David Goes to School” might entice small children to misbehave also, but this book is worth checking out.

David Shannon does an excellent job at making this story as funny as possible by detailing David’s adventures in a
Chelsie Morrison
As a future teacher, I draw a little bit of a connection between the David series of books, particularly David Goes to School. As I observe classrooms, I see little "Davids" running amok in nearly every classroom.

In David Goes to School, young David struggles with all of the things you are allowed, and not allowed, to do at school. David chews gum, talks out of turn, and simply cannot manage to stay in his seat. Throughout the day, David learns that consequences follow his actions and after cle
Valerie
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary & A Thoughtful Review
In a sequel to "No David!", David Shannon's highly energetic, somewhat troublesome character, David, is back to his usual antics, expect this time, at school. From tardiness, to gum chewing, shouting out, daydreaming, cutting in line, and causing messes that keep him after school, David IS that "trouble-making" student found in most classrooms. Shannon's colorful illustrations, child-like pencil drawings and handwriting, are inviting to readers of all ages (espe
Berls
I love this book as a follow up - David's still having a lot of trouble following the rules. It follows the same predictable format, which lets the kids start to predict what David is going to do. This one is PERFECT for a kinder classroom, though, because unlike No, David, he's getting in trouble for things we're not supposed to do in school. I always follow this one up with a T-chart, where we sort "good choices" and "bad choices" to make at school.

I also like that the teacher in David Goes to
McKenna Smith
David is a student who gets in trouble a lot. He doesn’t pay attention, doesn’t keep his hands to himself, starts food fights, doesn’t come back from recess, and many other things the teacher has to take care of. Because of his naughty behavior the teacher repeatedly tells him NO! We learn what the teachers breaking point is, and the punishment that is finally brought on due to his poor behavior. The book ends in a positive note and we see David skipping happily on the way home. This is a great ...more
Stephanie
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"David Goes To School" written by David Shannon is a simple, easy, quick read. The text is big and the language is simple and not complex. I got the chance to read this to the kids I have been watching here in Paris. They know very little English, but they loved this book and were able to follow along. The kids are ten and eight years old and both loved the illustrations. I think any child can connect with this book the drawings and writing of the text is playful and looks like a kid made it whi ...more
Ghoover
Once again, this story is so fun and lively to read. It was one of my favorite books as a kid whenever we would go to our library time and everyone in my class would always fight to see who could grab it first. Kids can relate to the hard times of going to school and wanting to be disruptive, but I think the illustrations are unique and different. The cover alone is fun to stare at and take in everything going on. This is a must read for all students in elementary school.
Patty
Reading Level: Primary Level

This picture book is excellent for teaching kindergartners and first graders how to act in school. The author's illustrations from when he was younger are amusing and entertaining. The students will definitely be able to relate to the drawings because it is very similar to their style of drawing. The illustrations really add to the minimal amount of text. Students can understand the story without even reading the text.
Hannah Morrison
I read this book to my little brother before his first day of Kindergarten. David is such a fun character to share with young students and the simple text is easy for students to understand. I would use this in younger classes to connect with their feelings of school.
Syed Absar
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David goes to School
David Shannon

This book is about David who goes to school for the first time. He loves to learn about new things. He learns many lessons throughout the book. I recommend you read this book if you need 0.5 points :).
Kai Palmer
I love David! He is a typical, very curious little boy. This would be a good book to talk about rules and consequences when rules are broken. As a class, we can create our own classroom rules and appropriate consequences when they aren't followed.
Jennifer Heather
What a great book! I originally bought this book for my daughter, but now I think that this would be a great book to read to my students on the first day of school!
Sadia Mansoor
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I love the illustrations & like the story line (aka. teacher's instructions) ^_^
This book is better than No David because it was more in detail..
Stephanie Calhoun
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
We read this book after we read No, David! the first week of school. The students love the illustrations and laugh throughout the entire book. We typically complete a craft after reading the book.
Stephanie Chiaro
David Goes to School is a book about a student, named David, who is always being yelled at school. He seems to never do anything right. The teacher exclaims, "David! You're tardy!" "Sit down, David!" "Don't chew gum in class!" "David, raise your hand!" and "Keep your hands to yourself!" After a series of other teacher exclamations, the teacher finally tells David he has to stay late after school, to clean all of the student desks because he had chosen to draw all over his, near the end of the bo ...more
Destiny Valenzano
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David goes to school is about a kid that starts going to school and needs to learn how to do things the right way. He is not a nice kid and needs to start following the rules.
The book is very relatable throughout all the grades for elementary. There is always a student/kid that is always there getting in trouble. He/She never listens to the teacher or anyone that tries to talk to them.
The impact is that the troublemaker is never listens and final in the end they learn. The book also connects th
Anna Williamson
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to "No, David", David goes to school for his first time and it doesn't go as well as his parents may have hoped. David continues to make bad decisions and does things he shouldn't be doing while he's at school, like throwing paper airplanes. This time David gets a consequence from the teacher and has to stay after school for detention. After his time is up at detention his teacher tells him how much, she, and his family cares about him and lets him go home for the day. I would read this ...more
Emily Scanlon
Book Level: 0.9

Summary: On his first day of school, David is having a difficult time adjusting to the classroom routine.

Writing Trait: Voice – On the inner cover of the book, the author explains that the inspiration for this series was found in his own writing as a child when he realized that the words “No” and “David” were consistent. The author’s narrative provides an opportunity for a teachable moment in voice. Informing students about the author’s connection with the story will promote motiv
Laurie
Apr 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
David begins school and is nothing but trouble. He running in the halls, chews gum in class, and is constantly pestering others. David’s teacher is always disciplining him and trying to get him to behave. This story is super fun and entertaining and I think all kids who have gone to school will think it is funny to hear about a student who misbehaves. I also think this would be a great story for parents to read to their kids before they go to school to teach them the rules and how to behave. I t ...more
Angie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "David's teacher has her hands full. From running in the halls to chewing gum in class, David's high-energy antics fill each schoolday with trouble -- and are sure to bring a smile to even the best- bahaved reader."

My Review: We loved No David and the rest of the David books so far and I thought this would be a great one to read before Munchkin started kindergarten. As with the rest of the books in this set, they are great ways to start conversations about good behavior and what kids s
  • Wemberly Worried
  • The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1)
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • Snow Day!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Too Loud Lily
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • First Day Jitters
  • Pirates Don't Change Diapers
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • Parts (Parts, #1)
  • If You Take a Mouse to School
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • I Wanna Iguana
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth
David Shannon is the author and illustrator of many highly praised books for children. Born in Washington, D.C., he grew up in Spokane, Washington. He graduated from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, with a fine arts degree, and then moved to New York City. His editorial illustrations have appeared in The New York Times, Time, and Rolling Stone, and his artwork has appeared ...more
More about David Shannon...

David (8 books)
  • No, David!
  • David Gets In Trouble
  • Oh, David! A Diaper David Book
  • David Smells! A Diaper David Book: A Diaper David Book
  • Oops! A Diaper David Book
  • It's Christmas, David!
  • Shhhhh! David's Reading!

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99