Start by marking “Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)” as Want to Read:
Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)

Glasgow Kiss

(DCI Lorimer #6)

Eric Chalmers is one of the most popular teachers at Muirpark Secondary School in Glasgow. Gentle and kind, he is the person the students come to when they want to confide in someone. So when precocious teenager Julie Donaldson accuses Chalmers of rape, the school goes into shock. How could a deeply religious family man like Chalmers do anything like that? With some studen ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Sphere (first published March 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Glasgow Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glasgow Kiss

Start your review of Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)
L.P. Logan
Bleh. I couldn't get into this one. As a current resident of the country in this book, I have to say that NO ONE TALKS LIKE THIS! I swear, the lassie, lad, lass, etc. was about to drive me crazy. Stop it already! Stop writing for commercialization! Just tell the flipping story! Further, it was BORING! And that's all I have to say about that.
Evangeline
I agree with a couple of other reviewers of this book when they said that this book does not encapsulate Glasgow like it claims to. Indeed, the only reason this book caught my eye in the shop where i bought it in the first place was the exciting prospect of a mystery set in my own hometown, but this novel could have been set anywhere. The only effort made by the writer to capture Glasgow is through the use of local dialect and geography, which, shockingly enough for someone supposedly from the c ...more
Judie Holliday
I always love to discover a new author in one of my favourite genres, and a Scottish crime author is even better. Sadly, this book was just awful.

To begin with, nothing happens. I mean, okay, a little girl gets snatched (don't worry, it's not even a tiny bit realistic so you won't feel horrible and sick about it). It's upsetting for everyone when it happens. The mother is distraught. Then, a completely unrelated murder happens and the little girl is pretty much forgotten until later, she's foun
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-boiled
I am always impressed by the strong character building in Gray's writing. He creates memorable people and little vignettes of life that ring true. In this story, Lorimer is on the hunt for a srangler and a woman who has abducted a child. He and his fellow officers manage to solve both cases through careful investigation. Gray's writing seems very realistic in his portrayal of police work. An excellent whodunit!
Richard Annand
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Alex Gray novel I have read. I could not put it down! As a lover of Ian Rankin I gave this a try and do not regret it. I will be going back to the start of the series and look forward to reading more of Alex's work.
Sherrey
I’m grateful Partners in Crime Virtual Book Tours offered me the opportunity to review Alex Gray’s Glasgow Kiss. You see I’d never read an Alex Gray book. I am now hooked!

Glasgow Kiss, #6 in the DCI Lorimer Series, is well written, filled with clear character development, and suspense. As part of a series, the first question is usually whether the book can be read as a stand-alone. The answer here is definitely a YES!

With two plots running simultaneously through the book, with a minor third also
Maria O Neill
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read from start to finish
Megan
This book reminded me of watching a detective show from the UK. I did have a hard time figuring out what the "words" some of the people who have strong accents were saying, but it did add a feel of authenticity to the story.
martin
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
One other reviewer commented on the inaccuracy of the publisher's blurb - this book does not bring Glasgow to life in the way Rankin has portrayed Edinburgh.

Apart from a good knowledge of the city's streets and districts (and their implied messages of social status, wealth and safety that everyone familiar with the city will appreciate), I found this story could have been more or less anywhere. The beauties (and the ugliness) of the Glaswegian accents have largely been ignored with a few except
Nigel
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not read any of these before but it made for a well paced crime thriller.  I'm not sure it really deserves comparison with Rebus but it was a good "holiday" and I'd read another I think. It does seem odd to me that the policeman that this series is about doesn't feature strongly in this story and, frankly, is one of the weaker characters. 3.5/5 for pace maybe.
Anne, Unfinished Woman
This was a more difficult story for me to get attached. Maggie Lorimer, DCI Lorimer's wife plays an integral part of this installment as the initial issue of rape by a teacher in her school starts the story.
Eric Chalmers, the religious education teacher is handsome and an especially pleasant and well-liked man. But when Julie Donaldson thinks she is in love with him, and he rebuffs her advances she decides to get revenge and accuses him of rape. She then stays away from classes and goes into Gl
Paisley McNab
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book because it is set in Glasgow—a city I know and love. Apart from references to specific streets in Glasgow and the occasional use of some local dialect (which felt forced), this book could have been set anywhere.

The book tells the story of a 15-year-old girl, Julie Donaldson, who accuses one of her teachers of rape. After making these claims, she goes missing and is found dead in the woods a couple of days later. While investigating Julie’s murder, two more bodie
Joan
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading the DCI Lorimer series. This is the sixth in the series but can be appreciated without having read the previous novels. Gray did a good job of holding my interest by including two cases Lorimer is working on. One is a child abduction while the other is a missing person, soon found to be a victim of murder. The two cases were distinct and did not confuse the plot.

The strength of this Lorimer novel is the character development. I enjoyed learning more about Lorimer's wife, M
Karen
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read Like a Man #1

So, fired up by reading Doris Lessing's feminist masterpiece, the last book on my beautiful bag list (see previous reviews), I sought out a new book project. In true feminist style, I, erm, decided to read books that linked with the, um, men in my life. OK, look, if Lessing can make her feminist tome all about men, I can make my feminist book project all about men, right?! So I scanned my shelves for authors or particular books that interesting men on the dating website cited a
Mariella Deliyannis
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
one word: average. Not bad enough to put down but not great so that one keeps reading into the night. It as good enough to keep reading till one finishes it without eliciting strong reaction. I do not know what made it so average: too many school scenes, school descriptions, school life? Not enough police procedure work? not logical steps in the investigation? not enough clues as to the murderer to make a parallel reading interesting? the description of characters that were put forward without b ...more
Morag
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
The first of Alex Gray's books I have read and a very enjoyable and gripping read it was too! So much so that I have started another.
Page turning story set in Glasgow with believable characters and excellent local knowledge which helped bring the story to life. Two crimes are being investigated simultaneously. There's a conflict of interests as the DCI in charge of one of the cases has to investigate a friend and colleague of his wife's. She is and English teacher at the local high school.
Alex G
Alison Cairns
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book far more than the previous one. It links the lives of DCI Lorimer and Maggie, his wife as her school is at the centre of the storyline. A disturbing storyline involving the disappearance and murder of a young person, and the presumed guilt of her teacher. I felt for Eric Chalmers from the start as it was obvious that he was going to be placed at the heart of the story with Julie clearly having an obsession, as young girls can over good looking young teachers. Poor Kyle being ...more
Minxminnie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this. The plot is pretty lame, and the resolution relies on that annoying device of a previously unknown perpetrator. The writer was an English teacher in a Scottish school (as am I) and the use of a school is at least very realistic, full of self consciously realistic references to specific year groups and what poem was being taught. But the characters were all very one-dimensional, so right from the start there was no tension. The two potential murderers were so obviously ...more
Jen
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received Glasgow Kiss in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for my honest review.

I have never read any of the other William Lorimer novels, but after reading this one I would be open to it. I found Glasgow kiss to be an intriguing thriller that tied many different stories together to get to get the big picture. I have read some reviews saying it wasn't an accurate portrayal of Glasgow and since I've never been there I have no opinion on that, but if you are like me and know nothing about Glasgow
Jill Stirling
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do like these books. I like the characters and the plots are largely interesting. This one wasn't one of the best. It was interesting that the story had lots of Lorimer's wife and her connection with the action. I did guess the villain was not either of the red herrings. One thing I did wonder was why teachers and Lorimer himself noted that the boy Kyle was being savagely beaten by his 'Father" but no one did anything about it. Isn't it mandatory in politically correct Scotland to report this ...more
Ramona
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of Glasgow Kiss: A DCI Lorimer Novel by Alex Gray

I enjoyed reading this crime novel and it will keep you guessing until the end of the novel as to who did it. I would highly recommend this novel to everyone that loves to read crime novels. I won this novel through a giveaway on Goodreads website.
Kerry Pickens
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This is the third book by this author I have read, and it was an ARC from Goodreads. I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two, it just seemed long and convoluted. The title is a joke however, a Glasgow Kiss is a head butt. One of the main characters is a young boy whose father is an abusive alcoholic, and the son wants to give his dad a "Glasgow kiss."
David Hull
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very good Scottish Author, in the vein of Ian Rankin (whose crime novels are based in Edinburgh). Gray’s crime novel is based in Glasgow, with the occasional Glaswegian narrative authentically provided in its local spelling. Interesting characters and a well-planned story, albeit culminating in something of a lackluster finale. Nevertheless a great read.
Susan Green
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by this author and received it in a Goodreads giveaway. It was very well written with good character development. I will definitely be reading more of Alex Gray's books.
Luce Cronin
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british
This is the first novel by Alex Gray that I have read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be looking for more of the Lorimer series. This is not a novel with tons of social comment, or serious themes. As far as I am concerned , it is just a very enjoyable detective novel.
Anne
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Book Club 2017. Thriller set in Glasgow. Badly written.
Andrew Swan
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
enjoyed the exposition, but the climax left a lot to be desired. lacked the punch expected from a crime thriller
Scott
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. It was light on scenery and I was looking for more of a Glasgow feel. Gray's writing reminds me of a Patterson book.
Patrick Broe
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good characters and plot and brilliantly developed story. Wonderfully evocative of Glasgow too.
Jo Woolnough
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book has you enthralled all the way and sympathetic to some of its main characters - definitely not one to put down .
« previous 1 3 next »

• Their Little Secret (Tom Thorne, #16)
  • Runaway
  • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)
  • Dead at First Sight (Roy Grace, #15)
  • The Quaker (Duncan McCormack #1)
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • Death in the East (Sam Wyndham # 4)
  • The Gathering Dark (Inspector McLean, #8)
  • Maybe One Day
  • The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy, #2)
  • The Shrine (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #16)
  • The Photographer (Narey & Winter, #7)
  • The Last Bloody Straw (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #5)
  • The Serpent Sword (Bernicia Chronicles #1)
  • The Royal Baths Murder (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Hell Bay (DI Ben Kitto, #1)
  • The Shooting at Chateau Rock (Bruno, Chief of Police #13)
  • Witness the Dead (Narey & Winter, #4)
Alex Gray was born and educated in Glasgow. She worked as a folk singer, a visiting officer in the DSS and an English teacher. She has been awarded the Scottish Association of Writers Constable and Pitlochry trophies for her crime writing.

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else (DCI Lorimer, #1)
  • A Small Weeping (DCI Lorimer, #2)
  • Shadows of Sounds (Lorimer #3)
  • The Riverman (DCI Lorimer, #4)
  • Pitch Black (Lorimer #5)
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)
  • Sleep Like The Dead (Lorimer #8)
  • A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)
  • The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)
  • The Bird that did not Sing (Lorimer #11)