Start by marking “The Best of Roald Dahl” as Want to Read:
The Best of Roald Dahl

The Best of Roald Dahl

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  6,304 Ratings  ·  436 Reviews
The Best of Roald Dahl is a collection of 25 of Roald Dahl's short stories. This collection brings together Dahl’s finest work, illustrating his genius for the horrific and grotesque which is unparalleled.

Contents

- Madame Rosette
- Man from the South
- The Sound Machine
- Taste
- Dip in the Pool
- Skin
- Edward the Conqueror
- Lamb to the Slaughter
- Galloping Foxley
- The Way Up t
Published 1990 by Vintage Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Roald Dahl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Roald Dahl

Praveen
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is collection of 20 stories of Roald Dahl. Longest Story is ‘Claud’s Dog’ and Shortest Story is ‘Dip in the pool’.

Here are some brief points, I wish to say for now, but I am emphatically going to talk about this book and his writing in greater detail later !

-His stories are very offbeat and of different styles.
-This writer gave me goosebumps many times.
-These stories lingered on my mind for long.
-His stories are full of twists and turns.
-I could not put it down in between.
-Unexpected
Lori
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This may be the best collection of short stories I've ever read. It's undoubtably the most twisted. (And trust me. I read twisted.)

I've always been a huge fan of Dahl's kids' books. It's not a big leap, I suppose, to imagine Charlie all grown up and sick with chocolate power. And the climactic scene of Danny, the Champion of the World, is here nearly in its entirety. (I need to go back and see which came first. I'm guessing this one.)

As masterful as Dahl is with novels, he's perfected the short
Paul
Apr 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely Everyone
There is no darker, funnier writer than Roald Dahl. His children's stories were the original series of unfortunate events. (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, etc.) In the 60's, Alfred Hitchcock had a television series, Alfred Hitchcock presents, in which he used many of the stories found in this anthology. Also, one of his stories was made into a vignette in the movie Four Rooms. (Tarantino's contribution)

Dahl is as creepy in his descriptions as any "horror" writer to
Stephanie A. Higa
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's true that nearly all writing reveals a great deal about the person behind the words, but it's especially true in Roald Dahl's case because all his stories have more or less the same tone: classy, stylish, and gruesome. This includes his children's stories, which are known for being playful and funny. Yes, they definitely are, but they're also kind of disturbing from an adult perspective. (James and the Giant Peach: orphan trapped by abusive aunts finds an escape in an oversized fruit occupi ...more
Guillermo Galvan
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every story was good, except one. That's not bad considering in most short story collections there are usually several examples one could wipe their arse with. Not the case here. Dahl shows that he can be a twisted bastard. Just look at the shit-eating grin on the cover. If he can put dick flavored candy in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (snozzberries are dicks), he must definitely have a high degree of smart-assery going inside his head. Enjoy!

Susan
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ingrid
Shelves: old-favorites
This was the most suprising read I have had in a long while. Because I know Roald Dahl as a childrens author and loved all of the fantastical stories the twits, matilda and so on, I was pleasntly suprised to re-discover him as an adult. These tales of adult pleasure and fantasy really knocked my socks off! The last story I recall vividly as the last story in the Tatintino flick "Four Rooms"

I highly reccomend this light hearted read as a grest series of bedtime stories.
Agnes
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Why I decided to read this book
This book provides a variety of short stories that are categorised as the 'best of Roald Dahl', and Roald Dahl has written such amazing books such as 'Matilda' and 'The Twits'. Roald Dahl was a big part of my childhood, personally, and many other children so I was instantly drawn to this book. The 3 short stories I chose to read from this anthology is 'Lamb to the slaughter', 'The way up to heaven' and 'The Landlady'. I chose these stories because they had intrigui
bookish
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this was more of a "4 1/2 stars" kind of book, but Dahl is so darned entertaining that i have no problem rounding up. while the final few stories were a bit of a disappointment, they were only a let down because the great majority of these stories are compulsively readable and incredibly satisfying. dahl was a writer who clearly loved telling a good story, and when you read this collection there's no escaping the feeling that dahl had immense fun when wrote these stories. that delight is infecti ...more
Jody
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl was the quintessential story teller of all time. His prose cuts to the essential element of his characters and story. Not to mention that his subject matter is always amazingly unique and interesting. It's sad to think that there will never be another new Dahl story.

This passage particularly struck me from his story Georgy Porgy and I share, "I spend many hours each day playing with sentences. I regard each sentence as a little wheel, and my ambition lately has been to gather several
Steve
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wish I could give this 4.5 stars. I hadn't read short stories in a long while, and was reminded of the unique joy of these little single-serving packages of fiction — particularly the first batch of these short stories. I have to say I particularly enjoyed reading these macabre stories full of sex, sin and death while simultaneously reading his more famous books to my children.
These stories are really about the final twist — which is often shocking and brilliant. Having said that, the lead-up
Anirud Thyagharajan
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A set of stories with fascinating, yet twisted endings. It's hard to think that the same person has written a lot of innocent fiction like the BFG, Matilda, and all the kids' stories!
Meg
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
after reading this book I believe Roald Dahl could have been besties with Edgar Allen Poe
Arcadia
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-sofi
eggsellent
Zebardast Zebardast
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Roald Dahl (September 13, 1916 to November 23, 1990) was a British author who penned 19 children's books over his decades-long writing career. In 1953 he published the best-selling story collection Someone Like You and married actress Patricia Neal. He published the popular book James and the Giant Peach in 1961. In 1964 he released another highly successful work, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which was later adapted for two films.
Cheryl Sinclair
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Needless to say, very quirky. Surprisingly, there are some WW II stories amongst the group.
Jayanth
I will be updating this review after each story I read in this collection. I haven't read Roald Dahl's work except for Matilda which I loved. I will hide major spoilers but I cannot review the stories without talking on some important things that others might consider as spoilers. So you are warned, spoiler-allergic people!

1. Madame Rosetta [Rating: 2.5/5]
This story was just okay. It is about a couple of military pilots who finally get to take some time off in Cairo, Egypt and they plan to relax
നിക്ക്. . .
I came across this book when I was browsing casually through the shelves of the college library. It didn't strike me as an interesting one at first. I didn't recognize the author by name, but when I turned to the back cover, he was introduced as the creator of Charlie and the chocolate factory. I was rather sceptical about Roal Dahl and was a prejudist about his works. I thought they were mostly children's stories and wouldn't have anything that could interest me. But after 30minutes long search ...more
Anja
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The pros: loved Roald Dahl as a kid and this book didn’t disappoint as a grown up version. My favorite stories was about the boy and the turtle and the sound machine.

The cons: Some chapters made me feel super uncomfortable, very akin to Larry David’s sense of humor and Dahl uses questionable language to describe some of his characters. Also- as a former vegetarian it was hard to read the Vegetarian short story.
Michael
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Adult stories by Roald Dahl... as opposed to his kids stories that I might enjoy more as an adult than I did then. This is a great collection. Ashley, a friend of mine used to read these aloud when we were camping in Colorado. I have an amusing memory of a group of adults sitting around a fire listening to one. She said she was tired and could not finish the one she was on. And there was revolt- "No you have to!!!" -like a bunch of kids. heh heh. A must have.
Beth
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Though many probably associate Dahl with his children's books (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), these very adult, often dark, short stories are a true delight. It's no wonder that Hitchock used "A Dip in the Pool" for a "Hitchcock Presents" episode. Each story comes with an O'Henry-esque punch to it at the end that left me chuckling and/or surprised. I find these stories fun to read aloud during roadtrips - a refreshing break from music.
Alex
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
The first three quarters of this short story collection were awesome. Dahl is gleefully wicked and fun to read. The last third I couldn't quite make it through. The later stories seemed less subtle, more forced. I knew reading them that something awful was probably coming, but instead of making me want to know what it was, they just made me squirm. The first part is well worth the purchase though.
Hannah Garden
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hooray! Hooray for the whole old damn old world! I keep wreaking havoc and then having to suffer for it but OH MAN. There's stuff out there I can't even get close to with my magical fuck-up powers and ROALD DAHL IS OBV ONE OF THEM. Good on you, sir. You are making everything better all the time.
April
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Some stories I really liked, some I barely cared for. In the end the thing I found a little tireseome was that every story ended with some character getting their comeuppance. These stories would be excellent aloud.
Alyssa  Gibbs
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, short-stories
I have loved Roald Dahl since childhood (Matilda! The Witches!) and I love introducing his short adult fiction to my students. "Lamb to the Slaughter" and "The Landlady" are some of my favorites for irony.
Eileen G.
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for the Roald Dahl fan, but best for sipping rather than gulping.
Vicki Wilson
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I' m not sure what to think about Mr Dahl. He' s a mystery to me. Mystery is good - I think.
Julie Akiko
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
funny and provocative. great book for walking a slow dog.
GOURAB BISWAS
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of Roald Dahl (paper back)
পরকাশক- পেঙগুইন
মুদরিত মূলয- ৩৯৯ টাকা

একজন দূরধরষ ফাইটার জেট পাইলট, দবিতীয় বিশবযুদধের সময় যিনি হয়ে উঠেছিলেন শতরু শিবিরের তরাস, অরজন করেছিলেন উইং কমানডরের পদ, এমন এক জাঁদরেল বযকতিততবের পকষে কি সমভব সারথক শিশু সাহিতয রচনা? কিংবা মনভোলানো ছোটগলপ? হয়ত সমভব। এমন দূরধরষ সেনা আধিকারিকই লিখেছিলেন ‘charlie and the chocolate factory’এর মতো শিশুসাহিতয। তিনি রোয়াল ডাল। পাঠককূলের কাছে মূলত তিনি charlie and the chocolate factory’ , ‘ matilda’ এর মতো শিশুসাহিতযের সৃষটিকরতা। ক
Lily
Sep 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
So full disclosure, Roald Dahl's talent really lies in whimsical children's literature and I'd like to compartmentalize that aspect of his oeuvre, if you will. Because those books are truly great works of art and fond parts of pretty much everyone's childhood. We could get into a discussion of separating the art from the artist here, but I'm uninterested in that. Separate some of his art from the rest of it then.

Ok this guy clearly hates women. All of his female characters are total nags and har
  • The World's Greatest Short Stories
  • The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits: Stories
  • Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders (The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries #5)
  • Twin Study: Stories
  • Burning Your Boats: The Collected Short Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories
  • High Spirits: A Collection of Ghost Stories
  • Briefe in die chinesische Vergangenheit
  • Making History & Reality Dust (Xeelee Sequence, #6)
  • I Am No One You Know: Stories