Start by marking “The Man from the Broken Hills” as Want to Read:
The Man from the Broken Hills

The Man from the Broken Hills

(The Talon and Chantry series #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,277 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Milo Talon, narrator, knows Rossiter, blind seven years, was hand his ma Em née Sackett caught stealing cattle. Now Rossiter loses stock as do Balch, Saddler, and Major Timberley. Neighbors suspect each other. Pretty daughters Barby Ann Rossiter and Ann Timberley, and Baker half-sister Lisa cause trouble at box-lunch dance. Who is shooting to kill Milo, and why?
Published June 1st 1996 by Bantam (first published September 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Man from the Broken Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man from the Broken Hills

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

David
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of L'Amour's better novels. Lots of twists and suspense at the end.
Cathy Ryan
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5*
In the mood for something different as I looked through the new releases on Audible, I saw The Man From The Broken Hills narrated by MacLeod Andrews. It fit the bill perfectly, although I didn’t realise at the time it was part of a series. As it happens, it can easily be read, or listened to, as a standalone.

Narrated in the first person by Milo Talon, a drifter enjoying seeing and experiencing the wild American West from the back of his horse. Born and raised in Colorado, he grew up o
Craig Ferris
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have wanted to discuss Louis L'Amour books on this forum for some time, but hesitated after reading terms like "formulaic". I feel many reviewers take themselves too seriously -- something L'Amour never did. He always referred to himself as a "story teller". He wrote to please those who did and continue to do the work of the world and struggle to make ends meet. I have read over 50 of his novels and at least two volumes of his short stories. Many of his tales are set in the old West and it fee ...more
Sophia
A drifting cowboy, more than he seems, who enjoys riding the wild country and experiencing life from the back of his horse stumbles upon a big cattle rustling mystery and he now sits in the center of a potential cattle war powderkeg waiting for the spark to touch it off.

Milo Talon grew up on one of the largest spreads in Colorado owned by his fierce Tennessee mountain bred mother and his renaissance man father. His brother Barnabas takes on scholarly pursuits and will run the family
KarenLana
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't normally care for westerns but I'm glad I picked this up. I was pulled in from the first sentence and thoroughly enjoyed the book. At times, I did get a bit tired of the detailed descriptions of cattle herding but that was offset by the scenery and horses. The main character is intriguing and the plot was interesting. I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Kim
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am on my second time with this book. I had forgotten how good the Sackett books are! It has been alot of years since I read it the first time. It's just as good the second time! I recommend Louis L'Amour books to anyone. They are good reading. Very entertaining!
Kedron Skiles
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
someone is rustling cattle. everyone thinks it is everyone else doing it. milo Talon come along and tries to solv the problem, and nearly gets himself killed.
Barbara Peters
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
this author is always entertaining. It was nice to read a western for a change.
David
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took me way too long to finish this book— roughly a month and a half if I’m not mistaking—and during that time it was stolen from a shelf that I leave it on at work. I almost pursued another book after the loss, and wasn’t particularly concerned with finishing this one.
A trip to the Wal-Mart book section made me notice another copy of this story, and I decided to pick it up, yet again. It was as though L’amour, or the powers that be, were not content with me being unable to finish. One
Shorel Kleinert
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ride, boy. I know it's in you to go. Ride as far as you've a mind to, shoot straight when you must, but lie to no man and let no man doubt your word. "It is a poor man who has not honor, but before you do a deed, think how you will think back upon it when old age comes. Do nothing that will shame you."
Unknown, the man from the broken hills, pg. 6, loc. 80-83

"I ate of your salt, and I'll ride for the brand if they'll take me on." "What's that mean?" Danny asked. "That about the
Oleta Blaylock
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We get a little more information on Milo Talon in this book. There is a little back history, when he was younger and his brother was still on the ranch. Most of this story centers around a rustler taking cattle for three ranches in the Edwards Plateau area of Texas. The villain of the story was a surprise for me. I really did think it was someone else all together. It is always nice to get a glimpse into what life was like in the wilds of Texas after the Civil War. Texas even today is a state of ...more
Shoshana Frank
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The country of Texas is wide open and ruggedly beautiful. Milo Talon intends to ride through it all. A drifting cowhand, Talon roams from ranch to ranch picking up work as the need arises, yet as the son of a successful rancher he is well educated. When Talon begins working the country, riding the round up looking for Spur and Saddle Iron cattle, he puts that education to work as he uncovers a theft three years in the making. Will this discovery lead to the end of his life or the thief’s long dr ...more
Xanderfinnigan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
so i read man from the broken hill this book was extremely well written it flowed very well and it catches the readers eye if you are into old western and shoot outs. this book had a very fast past beginning and afterwards the way Louis settled with the main characters point of view was very well thought of. Now somethings i did not like was that Louis always switched from characters point of view and at some points with him doing this it got confusing with what character he was talking about ex ...more
Jack
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Man From the Broken Hills is a mystery western. The book is about Milo Talon and his search to find the dangerous cattle thief. One of the most admirable things about Milo Talon is his willingness to risk his life. The book is set in Texas in the 1800s. The most noteworthy feature of the book is that there is so much conflict. If you like mystery books you will really like this book. I really did, overall it was a great book.
Michelle
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Long, slow Western. A mystery with a fairly simple plot. Classic Louis L'Amour, more girls than the other ones I read, but none of them with real depth or complexity. I was disappointed in the ending which seemed pretty anticlimactic. However, when I read it to my husband he seemed to disagree. :)

Parents: No swearing, some gun violence.
James Spears
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. Even though it was a western there was a mystery in it.
It was a departure from the author Hackett series he did mentioned them in his book. I would recommend this book to anyone who like action and a steady storyline. There is an in answer question at the end of the book.
Daisy Dandelion
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
My husband recommended this book. I read it, but I wasn't very interested. It took me about a month to finish it.
I found it hard to keep the characters straight as sometimes he called them by their first names, and sometimes their last. In the end I had the characters figured out, and the story wasn't bad!
I can see why men would be attracted to this style of writing.
Tom
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite L'Amour novel so far! Really enjoyed the mystery element and descriptions of the work of the cattle ranches in addition to the more traditional western elements. Pretty formulaic, as usual, although it diverges somewhat pleasingly from the usual formula at the end in one aspect.
Roger Taylor
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another exciting western by Louis L'Amour with all the elements one would expect...cattle rustling, beautiful western vistas, beautiful women and dangerous cowboys. These are the best western stories one can read.
Kathy  Maher
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
My first Louis L'Amour book. I'm not a big Western kinda girl but this was a good book.
YoungTroubadour
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t realize there was more to Milo’s story, so I really getting to learn more about him.
Shazza
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The best Louis L'Amour western I've read yet!
Elaine
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of the more exciting L'Amour books I've read. The whole thing was a big mystery with backstory, shady characters, bigger than life characters and the like.
Michelle
Good sorry, but a little slow moving
John
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mexico, own
Another Sackett story that I could not put down until finished. BUT I read it a week ago and do not remember much about it. What I do remember the character of the characters in the Sackett family.
Curtis
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first L'Amour, co-read with my dad. The suspense and mystery were welcome additions to the already fun action of L'Amour's frontier stories.
Aaron Okuyo Toponce
Actually, I liked this story. Coming from Rivers West, it seemed quite polished, like an edited, published book should. Interestingly enough, both Rivers West and The Man From The Broken Hills were both published in 1975, so I wonder what Louis L'Amour was writing first, and which got to the publisher first. If I were to guess, I would say that this book came before Rivers West, because it felt worked through, like there was time and care put into it. Rivers West on the other hand felt rushed, like it was an end-of-th ...more
Jim Peoples
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: westerns
Milo Talon rides into Texas and hires as a ranch hand for Stirrup-Iron, and finds himself caught in the middle of cattle rustling and gunfighters. I found Milo's life was similar to Tell Sackett who was also a drifter. But Milo put more stock in education like his father (a Talon), even though he knew the ropes of ranching like his mother (a Sackett). Paired up with Fuentes to round up strays for Stirrup-Iron, Milo runs into a slew of different characters while trying to solve the mystery of who ...more
Nolan
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
This is essentially beach reading brain candy stuff that won't leave any
lasting impressions but that won't leave you grumbling about wasting your
time either.

Milo Talon is an unusual guy. His mom is one of the famous Sackett clan of
Tennessee. His dad is a descendant from a pirate who fashioned a new hand
for himself when his own hand was destroyed in an accident. Those
influences mean that Talon is a guy who stays with a job until it's done, be
it ever
Angie Lisle
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Milo is all over the place - he asks questions but doesn't go looking for the answers, he waits for the answers to come to him. Then, when one answer does arrive, he asks all the old questions again and we start the process over. This means that the clues arrive in a rather haphazard fashion. Add to that, L'Amour uses sleight of hand to make sure the readers never know everything they need to know about the area Milo is working (known as The Basin), which makes it difficult to figure out who and ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Desert Gold
  • Black Jack
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • Return of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #2)
  • Autumn of the Gun (Trail of the Gunfighter #3)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Hombre
-Wikipedia

The Talon and Chantry series (8 books)
  • Borden Chantry
  • Fair Blows the Wind
  • The Ferguson Rifle
  • Milo Talon
  • North to the Rails
  • Over on the Dry Side
  • Rivers West
“To die is nothing. One is here, one is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'.” 14 likes
“Nobody lives long low-rating an enemy. You've got to give the other fellow credit for having as much savvy as you have, and maybe a little more.” 4 likes