Start by marking “What They Didn't Teach You about the American Revolution” as Want to Read:
What They Didn't Teach You about the American Revolution

What They Didn't Teach You about the American Revolution

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"Zeroes in on the interesting, irreverent, long-ignored tidbits that shape behavior in all conflicts and important periods of history."--The Denver Post

What made the founding fathers so great (or were they?). And don't forget the founding mothers. We have intrigue and skullduggery with spies from Nathan Hale to Benedict Arnold, with enlightening stops on the distaff side o
Published June 1st 2001 by Presidio Press (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about What They Didn't Teach You about the American Revolution

Cheryl Gatling
The first sentence of Chapter One is, "George Washington grew marijuana on his farm at Mount Vernon." The author hopes to grab your attention right away with the promise of dirt and secrets about the founding fathers. But this is really just another standard history of the Revolution. Although he tried to tell interesting stories in an interesting way, and I definitely enjoyed it, I had read most of these things before. The parts that most interested me were descriptions of everyday life in Colo ...more
Tami
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I am now the "Cliff Claven" on tidbits concerning the American Revolution after reading this book.
When I was visiting in Boston what better book to pick up than this one. Loved the insights of those that went out on a limb for this great Country. So many characters and for some reason I thought they all got along and were on the same page (I know I'm such a PollyAnna) till I read this book and learned how hard core George Washington was and how quite a few members of the Congress totally disagr
John
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Tidbits of things that give one a more rounded view of history, and better develop the characters beyond their patriotic selves. Benjamin Franklin was registered to sell stamped paper, until the stamp act proved to be publicly unpopular. Samuel Adams most likely was a tea smuggler, so there was more than an unfair tax at stake when his followers dumped a shipload of East India Company tea into Boston Harbor. Paul Revere never made it to Concord. (That I was taught in History class.)
Another thing
Benjamin
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Very well written. It wasn't a book trying to debunk the myths or untwist the stories that were twisted, rather it gave more information on the lives and times of the people. Not just of the giants but also of the lesser known people. It gives you a better appreciation of the Revolution and how it was fought by people just like us, who make mistakes and are simply human and nothing more.
Rick C
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title suggests you will get behind the scenes tidbits about the American Revolution. As another wrote, this is actually an easy to read synopsis of major characters and events during that time. Not a bad book at all, but don't think you will get anything you may not have already heard.

If you just wanted to read something rather light, to get a "refresher on your early American history, this would do well.
Shannon
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Someone in another review said that after reading this book you become the Cliff Claven of American Revolution trivia...great description. The book wasn't like a dry history text, rather is rolled along dolling out interesting tidbits here and there. Worth the read if you are into American History.
Grace
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read the entire 323 page book in a weekend. It reads like a novel, but is packed with a great amount of information. Overall, I enjoyed it and highly recommend it to anyone interested in the learning about this amazing time period in our nation's history from a perspective other than high school history class.
Kathleen Hanes
Feb 13, 2016 is currently reading it
A fun read. Also picked up THE FIRST SALUTE on the Revolution by Barbara Tuchman (1999) that I did not know existed. Recall her GUNS of AUGUST (1962) that I liked so much.
Kris
Mar 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Some of the info in here is really quirky and interesting. But the style is pedantic, and it sometimes bogs down.
Emily