Start by marking “Cabbages and Kings” as Want to Read:
Cabbages and Kings

Read Book

Cabbages and Kings

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  919 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published November 2nd 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1904)

Christopherseelie
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly well-knit collection of short stories, each displaying O. Henry's knack for concealing while he puts on a show. The book has a comic portrayal of the tropics, both its volatile political climate and its meteorological one. The book shows its age by opining race-based comments about the inhabitants, but the white characters don't exactly get the buff and polish either.
Beka Adamashvili
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ვაპირებდი დამეწერა: "მოთხრობები ჯობია" - მეთქი, მაგრამ ისე ლამაზად აეწყო პაზლი, რომ ახლა მხოლოდ იმას ვწერ, თუ რის დაწერას ვაპირებდი.
Oto Bakradze
არ ვაპირებდი ამ წიგნის წაკითხვას, ბოლოსკენ შემოვიტოვე, მეზარებოდა დაწყება :D საწინააღმდეგო აღმოჩნდა.

გარემო - ტროპიკული
პერსონაჟები - სამახსოვრო
თითოეული თავი - ცალკე ისტორია, რომლებიც საბოლოოდ კარგ ნაწარმოებს ქმნიან.

4/5
Sam Walker
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has got to be among the best reads describing the odd friendship between colonialism and business interests, staged on the backdrop of Latin America, with the original banana republic of Anchuria. I landed up reading this after I learnt that this is where the term banana republic originated from. A free copy on Project Gutenberg and I could not stop reading this book once I started.

In fact, while Sidney Porter (aka O.Henry) wrote this mainly about the fruit companies in USA (think of Dole f
Minoy Jose
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of O Henry, Early 20th century English lovers
When I started with this collection of inter-connected short stories, I was not very impressed. I could not find the charm and attraction that I found in his other famous short stories like the very well known 'The Gift of the Magi'. But slowly and surely, this collection slipped a tight grip around me. I started enjoying his wit and got adjusted to the archaic English. Although it did slow me down a lot, because I cannot proceed without knowing the meaning :) the archaic English as well as the ...more
Robyne
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite books, one that I re-read often. The language is brilliant and humorous, the setting is tropical, and the characters are memorable. Each chapter could stand alone as a short story, but they string together to form a novel. I read it when I need to remember that life shouldn't be taken quite so seriously. I can't recommend this one enough.
Lauren
A collection of stories set in a fictional "banana republic" of Anchuria, likely modeled after Honduras, where the author, O. Henry, spent some time evading the law after embezzlement and tax evasion charges. The characters are largely American businessmen and government officials, who are all to happy to pull fast cons and loaf about in hammocks, pining for their lost loves and failed dealings in the States. There is humor, primarily slapstick style, in the vaudevillian antics of the expats. Th ...more
Erskine
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far my favorite short story collection by O. Henry. The tales take place in the same locale, a fictitious banana republic of the American tropics. There is an over-arcing plot that runs through the stories, concerning the ruling potentate's abdication and sudden departure with the nation's treasury funds, creating a mystery that isn't solved until the final vignette. Along the way, we meet an amusing cast of characters, each one with his own colorful background. The best part of the b ...more
Mickey
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting collection of stories. The setting is the same throughout-a small coastal town in South America- with the same cast of characters-expatriates who have found themselves living there. All the characters are disreputable, on-the-make shysters with the slang usually found in old mobster movies. This is contrasted with the epic, high-flown language of the narration, which adds an extra layer of plain ridiculousness and sly humor. I enjoyed reading this, but, except for a few r ...more
Wendybird
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A collection of stories with a common thread and an intriguing mystery at its outset. I thought the twist of the mystery trite although the clues were there and the pieces fit. But learning the resolution is nothing compared to O'Henry's brilliant storytelling. Will definitely read more O'Henry works.
Laura Verret
This is definitely not O. Henry at his best. His strength is with the individual short story - this book is a collection of short stories which is supposed to have a common thread. I began to enjoy the stories more when I stopped trying to fit them all together and read them simply as short stories, separate and distinct from one another. The resolution of the story was, I admit quite funny.
Robert Stewart
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love O. Henry. He had a unique grammar and diction. This book is a chain a short stories that could just as easily be called a novel. But I think the contrivances at the end, which are meant to tie the thing together, rather undermine the charm of the book.

Still, this is well worth reading. If for no other reason, it gives you a taste of what O'Henry's exile in Latin America was like.
Bill
Fun story full of vignettes revolving around this small banana republic. O'Henry has the best vocabulary I've ever read. He is also sort of racist in that 1915 sort of way regarding islanders, but not as bad as I would've expected.
LadiesBookTea Since 1993
Also read other short stories by O. Henry
Gemma
Jun 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I probably should have loved this, but I just couldn't let myself enjoy it.
Nidhi Angle
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read. His style is effortless, prose is witty and characters are endearingly idiosyncratic. Loved it.
Rucha
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vladislava
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best read :)
Vaas
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Искусство повествования заключается в том, чтобы скрывать от слушателей все, что им хочется знать, пока вы не изложите своих заветных взглядов на всевозможные не относящиеся к делу предметы.
Lis
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't even heard of this before but it was in a 200-story O. Henry collection e-book I got from Amazon for a vacation trip. It was very amusing -- a series of linked stories about an imaginary Caribbean island with various unsavory characters taking the lead in various chapters.

It was written in 1904, but the view of corruption and political shenanigans fuelled by greed and vanity is still quite fresh!

Apparently this is where the term "banana republic" originated.
Harker US Library
You’ve probably heard of O. Henry, the early twentieth-century American author of countless humorous short stories. And the phrase “cabbages and kings” will ring a bell to anyone who’s familiar with Lewis Carroll’s nonsense poems. (One of his most famous, “The Walrus and the Carpenter,” promises to tell the story of “shoes and ships and sealing-wax / And cabbages and kings.”) But you’ve almost certainly never heard them in combination, since Henry’s collection of closely interrelated short stori ...more
Abby
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
First of all, O. Henry is a brilliant writer, which is why I read this collection in the first place. I remembered a short story called A Retrieved Reformation that I read in high school, I found the story and read it and found it as brilliant as I remembered, then (since O. Henry wrote it) I decided to read some more.
Cabbages and Kings wasn't terrific, though the writing is terrific. The stories were a little lackluster. They followed various inhabitants of a port city in the tropical Republic
Laurie Tomchak
As one who is not a fan of short stories, I came to this book, termed a novel, with some eagerness to experience O. Henry in a more extended form. I was somewhat disappointed because the volume was actually a collection of short stories with a common theme, that of political events in Honduras seen from a "gringo" point of view. O. Henry's style is lively, and one learns a lot about U.S. society of the fin de siecle. One does not learn that much about Honduras, but that is probably not too surpr ...more
alksndrrra
Эту книгу стоит разделить на две части, потому как впечатление от них совершенно различное.

Роман-повесть "Короли и капуста" заставил меня продираться сквозь свои главы, как сквозь беспорядочно выросший лес то хвойный, то лиственный. Приличный налет политики давил, читалось тяжело, хотя слог приятен и сюжет, когда сможешь поймать его за хвост, в целом интересен.

Рассказы просто идеальны! Короткие истории о любви, о дружбе, верности, простых человеческих ценностях и счастливой жизни вопреки или нес
Rob Mills
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O Henry is always such a pleasure to read, though he does challenge your lexicon (well.. mine at least), which I consider good for ones mental constitution.
Anyway, a very languid read that outlines the most amazing stories one could imagine about the tropics. The book is essentially a series of short stories with one or two threads tying it all together. The stories get better as you get deeper and there are two fantastic twists, one comedic and one perhaps dramatic, that were very satisfying.
L
astaliegurec
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O. Henry's "Cabbages and Kings" is yet another capital "L" piece of Literature that surprised me by actually being good. Theoretically, I guess it's supposed to be 18 (or 19 since the first isn't numbered) short stories. But, the stories are intertwined and tell one overall story. So, in that sense, it's actually a novel. Anyway, it's nicely written with interesting characters and wonderful descriptions. The stories are sort of tongue-in-cheek and there's a nice twist at the end. I rate it at a ...more
Courtney

19) Two Recalls
20) The Vitagraphoscope
Mark
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author's stamp is definitely here. His tongue in cheek observations and turns of phrase are as effective as ever. This complex hybrid of short story and novel, however, can be hard to follow and isn't always as satisying as his famous short stories. Maybe as a reader I'm conditioned a more forumlaic payoff from O. Henry and this, being a different animal, didn't come off the same. An interesting and imaginative read nonetheless.
Nancy
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drunks
I have a hard time not finishing a book. I read this one chapter at a time, and I was glad when I came to the end. I had better hopes from an O' Henry book, but I was disappointed. There are a lot of lazy drunken men. There were Greedy Government leaders. People stealing money. Not my favorite kind of book.
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Stories for Christmas
  • The Unabridged Jack London
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • A Passion In The Desert
  • Ambrose Bierce's Write It Right: The Celebrated Cynic's Language Peeves Deciphered, Appraised, and Annotated for 21st-Century Readers
  • Women in Their Beds: New and Selected Stories
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in his uncle's d
More about O. Henry...
“it shall be a duty and a pleasing sport to wander with Momus beneath the tropic stars where Melpomene once stalked austere.” 2 likes
“In front the sea was spread, a smiling jailer, but even more incorruptible than the frowning mountains.” 1 likes