Start by marking “What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire” as Want to Read:
What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire

What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire

This second posthumous collection from Charles Bukowski takes readers deep into the raw, wild vein of writing that extends from the early 70s to the 1990s.
Published June 1st 2002 by Ecco Press (first published June 5th 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire

Moira Clunie
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
he's a difficult crank, too much bukowski is probably not good for the mental health, but there is beauty in the ugliness. or there is truth, which is sometimes the same thing. revelation.

in this book, i keep coming back to "white dog":

I went for a walk on Hollywood Boulevard.
I looked down and there was a large white dog
walking beside me.
his pace was exactly the same as mine,
we stopped at traffic signals together.
a woman smiled at us.
he must have walked 8 blocks with me.
then I went into a grocer
Christina
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
One of my favorite poems by Bukowski in this volume, not anthologized much for some reason. There are others as well- all good and inimitably honest to whatever moment he's writing about, and sometimes humorous.
-------------------

"Born to Lose"

I was sitting in my cell
and all the guys were tattooed
BORN TO LOSE
BORN TO DIE

all of them were able to roll a cigarette
with one hand

if I mentioned Wallace Stevens or
even Pablo Neruda to them
they'd think me crazy.

I named my cellmates in my mind.
that one was
Frank
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Bukowski lived a tough life
but had his fun
and jesus could he write it down.

Real real real.
Kirstine
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, own, ebooks, reviewed, 1-men
"precious grenades inside my skull,
I’d rather grow roses than nurture self-pity,
but sometimes it really begins to tell on me
and I have visions of house trailers and
hookers slipping into giant volcanic cracks
just south of Santa Barbara.
"

I found out this was another posthumously released volume of previously unreleased works. I cursed myself, I had done it again. Last time was no success, so why would this be any better? Thankfully it is human to err and so I had. This turned out to be so muc
Corey Johanningmeier
Jun 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: human beings
Shelves: poetry
Reading Bukowski is like hanging around drunk in the broke-down, decrepit, sun-drenched underworld of Los Angeles; listening to Mahler and betting your last five dollars on a horse named after a stripper you used to know. But you don't get dirty or hung-over, and the only ill-effect is a new-found empathy for the damned.
Heather

-from "the crunch (2)"

'nuff said
Po Po
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My friend Todd recently recommended this book to me during our most recent book club. Thankfully, my lovely bibliophile hubby actually had this book in his possession.

I am not usually into reading poetry--I would much rather make my own bad poetry or scrub toilets, but this book of poetry immediately captured my attention and retained it all throughout.

This seems like a hefty volume at first glance, but don't let it put you off. It is an amazingly quick read. I finished it in a couple days, eve
Jan
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most reviewers have agreed, there is no middle ground here – you either like him or you don’t. Maybe, he’s not really a poet. Maybe, in his unique and very authentic voice he is sharing his experiences from living on the streets and we have to pick the ones that speak to us.

Many, if not most of us, at one time, maybe while in grad school or in the military, ran into someone like Bukowski. If not, well, if it broadens us to understand 19th century Russians – it would not hurt to also share Bukows
Gavin

beautiful and believing;
I wish to weep
but sorrow is
stupid.
I wish to believe but belief is a
graveyard.
we have narrowed it down to
the butcherknife and the
mockingbird
wish us
luck.

In one sentence: Just a man in a room - odd, then, that this is enough to make people read them voluntarily, religiously, unlike almost all contemporary poetry with their bigger brains and better politics and more eventful stories and upl
Suphatra
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, adult-fiction
I love Bukowski, but sometimes it feels like reiterations of the same thing. He's got his general themes: seedy sex, American poverty, back alley transactions, loneliness and despair, and he doesn't stray too far from those motifs. The poems are true to the periods he lived in, and only Bukowski can make stuff like dog fights poetic. There were some great lines, though:

"feelin' bad, kid?" he asked/yeh, yeh, yeh/"kid," he said, "I've slept longer than you've lived."
-too soon

things get bad for all
Erica Schwer
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are afraid to break the bubble you are living in and transcending the bullshit, Bukowski is not the one for you. His compilation of poetry is blunt and depressing, yet more real than anything I have ever read. Bukowski has truly nothing to hide and his poetry gets down to the truth. Although he comes off as a very isolated and depressed individual, I can really understand where he is coming from as well as his trouble relating to society. What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the ...more
Vishal
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘What Matters Most….’ is quite evidently one of his last collections of poems; there’s a more somber and reflective mood, typical of a man nearing the end, slowly moving past his regrets, yet with a fire burning bright, deep down.

I guess what makes his poems so special is that most of us can relate to them, because he draws out the beauty, harshness and loneliness that exists even in the most everyday situations: at the racetrack, at the car wash witnessing a bird’s death, playing with his child
Cody Sexton
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
There is very little left original to say about Charles Bukowski.
Bukowski is the type of writer who takes you deep into the raw, wild vein of writing and for me, one who exists at the intersection between the touching and the haunting.
He is one of the most influential and imitated poets America has ever produced and his poems are executed with all the boldness and audacity of a German expressionist painter.
You don't even really need to be intimately familiar with his world of seedy bars, vulgar
Bel Rodrigues
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I will remember the kisses
our lips raw with love
and how you gave me
everything you had
and how I offered you what was left of me
and I will remember your small room
the feel of you
the light in the window
your records
your books
our morning coffee
our noons & our nights
our bodies spilled together sleeping
the tiny flowing currents

وليس ثمة ما هو اسوأ
من فوات الاوان
Dan
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Unlike many of his devotees, I cannot say that I would like to sit and have a drink with Charles Bukowski. I think it is safe to say that from what I know of the man, it would be an unpleasant experience at best for the both of us. Some people, however troubled or misanthropic (good word choice, yeah?) they may have been in life cannot help themselves...they write beautifully. And Charles Bukowski wrote so damn beautifully. His later poems are by far my favorite, the youthful anger tempered with ...more
Julie Ruble
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love Bukowski's poetry, but it's also easy to hate it. Or to kind of love it and hate it at the same time. Prepare to be depressed and maybe revolted. This book upsets me but also teaches me a lot about common threads and human nature. I like that Bukowski doesn't give me some sort of academic exercise / intellectual self-massage and call it a poem. He's just going to say what he's going to say -- and it's important or it's not -- and you should just shut up and read it or not. I was moved.
Ash
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite Bukowski book. People say he's overrated and too popular now days, and he is...he would have HATED the popularity he's managed to master in death. I appreciate him for what he is: a lowlife waste-less drunk. I respect him for that.
Shelley
Oct 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1900s, north-america, 2016
Ok this seems to be nothing more than someone tryna make a quick buck from the buk fanboys
Kye Alfred Hillig
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This one has some of my favorite Bukowski poems. At the end of almost all of them you are left with the feeling that he has lifted the veil and shown the world for what it truly is.
Josh
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Hey, not bad Bukowski.
You started off like a edgy teenager getting all dramatic on his parents, then some stereotypical hard ass with a heart, then, at the end, you really matured. You got old, you stopped drinking, you settled, and your writing got better. You finally starting talking about your mistakes, not the cool battle scars from the alleyways, but the real ones, the embarrassing ones, the ones that don’t glamorize you or your life style. The showed me your age, you wrongness, and that to
Vanessa
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
you must refuse to join them.
you must remain yourself.
you must open the curtains
or the blinds
and even in death
it can be there.
Mary
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I will remember the kisses / our lips raw with love / and how you gave me / everything you had / and how I / offered you what was left of / me, / and I will remember your small room / the feel of you / the light in the window / your records / your books / our morning coffee / our noons our nights / our bodies spilled together / sleeping / the tiny flowing currents / immediate and forever"
Dane Cobain
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bukowski is back with another epic collection of idiosyncratic poetry. The poems published in the collection were written between 1970 and 1990, and they were part of an archive that the great poet left behind to be published after his death.

As always, it's fascinating to see the way in which Bukowski used simple (and often profane) language in such a powerful way - his poems don't read like Shakespeare, they read like Bukowski talked, and that's what gives them their power. Bukowski wasn't a po
noelle
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
this was on my to read shelf but i'm pretty sure i've already read it because one of my favorite bukowski poems (everywhere, everywhere) is in it, unless it's elsewhere, too

but it's all beat up like it spent a week in my purse and i found dried flowers in it(??????) so i guess i have

but i guess i'm still going to finish it

the thing about bukowski is, and i'm pretty sure i said this last time i read a book of his poems, he's overwhelmingly boring. he knew that though. most of his books only have
David Ward
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art, non-fiction, poetry
What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk Through Fire by Charles Bukowski (Harper Collins 1999)(811) is another of Bukowski's seemingly endless series of collections of posthumously-published poetry from his estate. Query: Bukowski published voluminously while he was living. If Bukowski thought particular poems were good enough to publish, would he have not chosen to do so during his lifetime? My rating: 4/10, finished 5/15/14.
Lee Bay
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, top-11
I absolutely love this collection of poems. I think this is a book everyone should have in their collection. It is inspiring and thoughtful. Well written and even with some of its charming typos. Worth the read. Some of the beginning stuff seems taken as excerpts from past books, then you get further in and his mind starts to open up onto the page. Delightful.
Meredith
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, I finished a book! I am so proud of myself but I really should take this time to thank the author: Bukowski. Well done, sir. I never thought I would be the sort of person to read a grouping of poems much less an entire book of them but I liked it and now I'm reading others poets so I guess I'm a changed person. I'm just glad my roommate decided to borrow this puppy from Cameron.
Madeleine
Absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful. I fell in love with Bukowski's poetry all over again and I didn't even think that was possible.

Happy National Poetry Day, Chuck. I hope you know what this collection did to me and how badly I needed every slice of it.
Jenni
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm not saying that this wasn't worth reading, but I'm giving it two stars because of how hard I found it to get through. While there are a few gems of poetry within this collection; I found largely they did not interest me and weren't my preferred style of poetry at all.
Is there a book containing Bukowski's complete works? 6 253 Sep 27, 2013 08:08AM
  • Charles Bukowski: A Sure Bet
  • The Beautiful: Collected Poems
  • The Waste Land and Other Writings
  • Good Poems for Hard Times
  • The Beat Book
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
“I remember awakening one morning and finding everything smeared with the color of forgotten love.” 1767 likes
“Things get bad for all of us, almost continually, and what we do under the constant stress reveals who/what we are.” 1055 likes