Start by marking “Hannah's Garden” as Want to Read:
Hannah's Garden

Hannah's Garden

Seventeen-year-old Cassie Brittman is looking forward to her violin recital and the prom-- until the hospital calls and she learns that her grandfather, noted mystical painter Daniel Brittman, is dying.

Cassie, her mother, Anne, and Anne's new boyfriend travel to the family farm and immediately see that things are far from normal. The farm, including Great-Grandmother Hann

Published April 21st 2005 by Firebird (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hannah's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah's Garden

Ketandu
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
A wonderfully magical book. I'm very happy I read this book.
The descriptions were amazing and the writing was great. I really enjoyed the ending scene with Cassie and her friends. It was so beautiful. 4 Stars for a great read. :)
Sienna
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Anyone who grew up enchanted — and haunted — by Brian Froud and Alan Lee's Faeries will understand why at fourteen I was so thrilled to discover that four authors had written novels inspired by Froud's wild and wily drawings, paintings and washes. My memory's selective specificity proves useful here: the usual trip to Bookstar in Tustin, a family tradition that followed the interminable IKEA loop and a stop at In-N-Out (cheeseburger with grilled onions, fries, chocolate shake), yielding Patricia ...more
Victoria
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1990s, loved
That was beautiful! The characters were amazing, I mean come on, a Fiddler/hare/man!? Doesn't get much more amazing then that.

I enjoyed taking a break from real life and living in this fantasy world! <3 I wish I could spend all day in a garden playing with these characters <3
Cheryl
Oct 18, 2016 marked it as library-to-read
Shelves: mobius
Snyder has contributed some special stories to different fantasy anthologies that I've read. This looks to be in the same vein, so I'm considering it.
Megan Verhagen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
My mom got me this book when I was 12, and for some reason I didn't pick it up until I came home for a visit from grad school ten years later. I can't imagine why I never cracked this book open but I'm glad I did now. The fantasy world that Snyder created was wonderful, a bit reminiscent of Spiderwick, but she had her own flair. The main character Cassie is amazing representation for young girls, and I loved her finding the courage and confidence in the climax of the story to stand up for hersel ...more
Kerry
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2005, 9, fantasy, ya
This is a lovely book, made a young adult novel by it's tone rather than for any 'talking-down' to the reader. Because of the book blurb, I had more idea of what was going on than Cassie did, but that didn't hurt the story at all. I did find Anne's refusal to face up to the reality of her family and its legacy a little annoying, as Cassie would have managed the situation much better if she had had a little more information.

The Red Clan were truly creepy in a quite not-human sort of way and exce
Maggie
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a reread for me.

I remember thoroughly enjoying this book when I was younger, and I still do. To me, the descriptions of plants, nature, and music are beautiful and calming. The book has a slow build-up, and takes time to let us get to know the characters and how they interact.

A few things do bother about this book. The first is that while Cassie keeps seeing strange animals and experiencing weird things, she somehow keeps convincing herself that she is either imagining things or i
Mary-Beth
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This is what I mean by a good fairy story. Cassie finds out that her Poppie, a famous artist is very ill in the hospital at just the wrong time. She has to cancel her plans for prom and an important violin recital. When she and her mother, Anne return to Poppie's farm, Cassie finds that his illness is more complicated than she thought.

Cassie is a nice plucky heroine and I enjoyed the slow unveiling of her family's connections to the woodland spirits who begin to trouble her mostly ordinary life.
Elise
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really enjoying this book for about 70% of it ..... then I suddenly felt lost. The magic was so mixed up with a sort of preachiness that I couldn't quite make sense of most of the time. I felt like there was a whole underworld of myth and lore that I just wasn't in the know about, and it left me a bit confused. The ending was predictable, and I was completely ok with that. Maybe you just have to read more Midori Snyder books to understand what happened here? I wanted to love it because I d ...more
Jalilah
this excellent YA novel reminds me of "old style" Urban fantasy along the lines of Charles De Lint and Terri Wendling in that it involves faeries coexisting in our world, the leading character is a musician and the writing is more character driven and less action based.
There is something that takes place in this book that happens in one of Charlaine Harris’s more recent Sookie books. (view spoiler)
Julia
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, urban-fantasy
Seventeen year old Cassie Brittman feels like she’s almost “there,” after a life following her aimless odd mother around, she’s got a violin solo at the school recital, a great normal boyfriend, and a date to the prom.

Then she and mom get a call from the hospital, her famous grandfather, a reclusive painter of landscapes, sprites and fairies is dying and she must cancel it all. Her mom, her mom’s new boyfriend and Cassie go up to farm and it’s nearly been ruined.

It’s a great book, it might mak
Melanti
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book in the de Lint version of urban fantasy.

This was originally slated to be part of Brian Froud's Faerielands series. It's such a shame that the Faerielands series was discontinued. I managed to get my hands on the illustrated edition of McKillip's Something Rich and Strange and I was in awe of the artwork, though it didn't always fit the text.

But I think it's dreadful that this book was never released with the intended cover art or internal illustrations. Froud's ethereal fae would hav
Kamilla
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was in dire need of a comfort read, so I re-read Hannah's Garden. It's a story about a family who is intertwined with the fey, and the things that happen to them when their father/grandpa gets ill. It's really beautifully and simply written, with the enchantments and magic that swirl around the characters practically oozing off the page. There is a lot of descriptions of music and art since the main characters are a violinist, a fiddler, a writer/English major, and a folk artist, and a load of ...more
Chere
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, faerie, young, adult
I enjoy young adult fantasies, especially those with a female lead character, and especially those in a contemporary setting. Hannah's Garden certainly did not disappoint! Lush descriptions full of sound and visuals, and interesting characters abound in this novel. A lot of nature, and yet the story is very modern. I love Midori Snyder's style! Highly recommended!
Kate
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hannah's Garden didn't particularly stand out in my mind, and now, a scant few days later, I find I have trouble describing it. It was decently well written. I liked the main character, Cassie, particularly her interaction with Hannah's garden. I liked the fiddler and the hare. But the story never quite coalesced for me, remaining interesting separate elements rather than an interesting story.
Kirsten
This is a gorgeous contemporary fantasy, very much along the lines of the works of Charles de Lint and Emma Bull. When Cassie's eccentric grandfather falls ill, Cassie and her mother travel to the family homestead and find themselves embroiled in a conflict between two clans of supernatural beings.
Viki
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Now on my shelf of favorite urban fantasies! Midori is a true artist. This book has magic, gardening, romance , suspense,danger,and the intricacies of the bonds of family ties. I highly recommend it !
Nora Peevy
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love anything to do with The Fae and myth! And Ms. Snyder lives in my hometown of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. If you love music, myth, and a good read, this story is for you. If you like Charles de Lint, you will also like this book as well.
Holli
This was supposed to be one of the stories in Brian froud's Fairy lands series. unfortunately the series was canceled. I was a little disappointed in it....maybe I was just morning the lost of froud's pictures. I will have to reread it.
Sylvia Walker
I read this book several years ago, and was not disappointed in my memory of it as enjoyable reading. The garden in the title, and nature, and the old, crumbling farm, were the best characters, with Cassie my next favorite. It's a fairy tale, with some scary baddies, and a happy ending.
Anisha
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hannah's Garden by Mindori Snyder is an awesome book with a mix of fantasy and realistic-fiction.
Kat Heatherington
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid but light YA fantasy. An engaging escapist read, well-written.
Martha
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, juv-ya
A good blend of modern & supernatural.
Diane Vo
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Its very Interesting . Yet always a mystery to almost everything !
Maeve Stone
Alexa
Dec 18, 2013
Nica
Nov 18, 2013

• Over My Head (Wildlings, #2)
  • Except the Queen
  • A Stir of Bones (Red Heart of Memories, #0.5)
  • The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People
  • Life on the Border  (Borderland, #3)
  • Something Rich and Strange
  • Elfland (Aetherial Tales, #1)
  • Nevernever (Borderland, #5)
  • The Summer Country (Summer Country, #1)
  • The Magic Mirror of the Mermaid Queen (Changeling, #2)
  • Finder (Borderland, #6)
  • The Winter Child
Midori Snyder is the author of eight books for children and adults, published in English, French, and Dutch. She won the Mythopoeic Award for The Innamorati, a novel inspired by early Roman myth and the Italian "Commedia dell'Arte" tradition. Other novels include The Flight of Michael McBride (a mythic western), Soulstring (a lyrical fairy tale), The Oran Trilogy: New Moon, Sadar's Keep, and Belda ...more